Poliquin On Optimal Protein Consumption

dentakudentaku
edited June 2014 in Physical Performance

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1190/How_Much_Protein_Do_You_Really_Need_To_Eat.aspx

I found this today. He (or whoever it is that writes these articles coz I reckon he's too big time for that now!) discusses the best ways to consume protein to encourage protein synthesis, lose bodyfat etc. As is typical of Poliquin there's some hilariously spurious optimisation in there:

"0.82 g/lb or 1.8 g/kg of body weight of protein is the amount to be maximally beneficial for body composition"

Needless to say it's beyond our abilities to account for the number and complexity of the factors that would affect such a number, never mind to two decimal places! But there's lots of good info in there nonetheless:

"First, 10 grams is not a large enough dose to offset protein breakdown or optimally rebuild muscle and lean tissue after training, even if it’s taken in a pulse format every 1.5 hours. You need 20 grams.

Second, a large total protein dose is necessary over the course of a day, but a 20-gram dose is adequate per feeding or “meal.” Naturally, you don’t have to take four doses of whey protein. You could take one dose and get the rest of your protein from food, spacing it out every few hours.

Third, it’s recommended that the average person interested in body composition or fat loss only use one dose of whey protein and then get the rest of their protein from whole foods. Or get all of your protein from whole foods if you prefer.

It’s really body builders and athletes who are aggressively trying to put on muscle or accelerate recovery for intense, frequent training who may benefit from dosing with whey."

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

Comments

• they also go on to say this though:

Obviously, not everyone is the same and it’s possible that some people may truly experience body composition benefits from eating more protein. In practice, 1 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight of protein is useful for fat loss when on a low-carb diet, especially if you are training hard and need to improve insulin sensitivity. The high protein dose is beneficial because it reduces hunger and supplies calories to aid in recovery from training when carbs are restricted.

i'm on week 2 of experimenting with increasing my protein intake and seem to be having decent results. i don't know if i'm losing fat, but i've gained a couple pounds and don't seem to have gained any fat. tim ferriss suggests at least 1.25 grams per lb of lean mass if you want to increase lean mass in 4 hour body so that is what i'm going by, making sure it all comes from green zone BP proteins. no dramatic strength increases yet, but i figure i'll give this at least a month and see what happens. so far so good.

• Yeah I know. Somewhat unfair on my part. Guilty. But why put it in? The two sections clearly contradict themselves!

The was I see it, if you want to build muscle you need somewhere between 1g and 2g of protein per pound bodyweight (measuring relative to lean bodymass probably makes more sense). After that, you tinker based on your results. Using the ammonia test that he mentions, for example. So yeah, good luck with it!

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• edited June 2014

i'm on week 2 of experimenting with increasing my protein intake ....

how much protein are you taking in daily and what are the sources, Drumm?

I've been having 3 whey shakes in the day plus BPC for breakfast for a good few months. But recently ive reduced to all but one shake in the evening as I suspected they were keeping me out of ketosis, as my belly fat wasnt going anywhere.

But im slightly confused with all the differing recommend intake levels, I really need to get scientific up in this bish.

Are you measuring your ketones?
  • drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

i've been aiming for 1.25g per pound of lean body weight based on tim ferriss's suggestion in 4 hour body. i assumed that my lean body weight was about 120lbs so i was aiming for 150 grams a day, then about 2 weeks ago i did a body comp analysis that said my lean body weight is actually 128 so i've been aiming for 160 grams now. sources are grass fed beef, whey, eggs, sardines, salmon, and quest bars (although trying to cut back on those just cause they are less bulletproof, more expensive than just having whey shakes, and add unnecessary carbs...so tasty and convenient though!). i weighed 141.6lbs on may 28, and was 146.2 when  i weighed myself yesterday, so i gained roughly 5 lbs in a month. i had a minor rib injury that i think may have set me back though, definitely didn't have as solid of a set on the chest press last week as i was previously. i don't think much if any of the weight i've gained is fat, i'll probably do the body comp thing again after i gain a few more pounds just to make sure. 

i've never measured ketones. i'd like to but gotta prioritize my money and ketone-testing devices aren't high enough on the list right now. but i don't think being in ketosis necessarily means that you are going to be losing body fat. i could be wrong, but i think it is still possible to store fat if you are getting a lot of it in your diet, ketosis just means fat is your energy source, not necessarily that body fat is declining.

i don't know if you'll find any conclusive studies about the right amount of protein. i think there may be benefits and drawbacks to any amount. smaller amounts are probably healthier in the long term, larger amounts are probably helpful if you are trying to add lean mass and strength. 

• ^^ Keto sticks aren't expensive though I don't know how accurate they are.

• i've been aiming for 1.25g per pound of lean body weight based on tim ferriss's suggestion in 4 hour body. i assumed that my lean body weight was about 120lbs so i was aiming for 150 grams a day, then about 2 weeks ago i did a body comp analysis that said my lean body weight is actually 128 so i've been aiming for 160 grams now. sources are grass fed beef, whey, eggs, sardines, salmon, and quest bars (although trying to cut back on those just cause they are less bulletproof, more expensive than just having whey shakes, and add unnecessary carbs...so tasty and convenient though!). i weighed 141.6lbs on may 28, and was 146.2 when  i weighed myself yesterday, so i gained roughly 5 lbs in a month. i had a minor rib injury that i think may have set me back though, definitely didn't have as solid of a set on the chest press last week as i was previously. i don't think much if any of the weight i've gained is fat, i'll probably do the body comp thing again after i gain a few more pounds just to make sure. 

i've never measured ketones. i'd like to but gotta prioritize my money and ketone-testing devices aren't high enough on the list right now. but i don't think being in ketosis necessarily means that you are going to be losing body fat. i could be wrong, but i think it is still possible to store fat if you are getting a lot of it in your diet, ketosis just means fat is your energy source, not necessarily that body fat is declining.

i don't know if you'll find any conclusive studies about the right amount of protein. i think there may be benefits and drawbacks to any amount. smaller amounts are probably healthier in the long term, larger amounts are probably helpful if you are trying to add lean mass and strength. 

Sorry if this question is a bit too 'simplistic' ... but , when you guys talk about 'lean' body mass (versus 'total' bodyweight) , does that mean simply taking your total bodyweight (mine is 200) and deducting your bodyfat %  (mine is about 13%)  ?    So , if this is correct , using my own numbers then my 'lean body mass' would be 200 less 26 (13% of 200) to equal 174 (?) .