A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Err, well, maybe that's a cheesy title. And cheese is most certainly NOT bulletproof. Alas.

This has been a long time coming. I've been meaning to start a thread here, documenting my daily habits. I'll be logging what I eat in a day (bulletproof or otherwise) my moods, my motivation and performance as a writer, etc. I might include some other things, too-- blood sugars, sexual habits, other things that may be of interest to other BPers.

Feel free to read along, post critiques of my habits or choices, etc. I'll try and make it entertaining, but in a way this is like a Bulletproof journal of sorts. I'd like to tighten up a lot of my habits and see about improving my overall performance and happiness.

I'll make my first point tonight when I have the time. I work nights, so my schedule is a little weird, haha.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Tagged:

Comments

• cool. i've noticed a couple people have threads kind of like this, or they start out with a question and turn into something like this. it'd be cool if we had a subforum that was like "bulletproof stories"  "BPer profiles" or something like that where regular posters shared the methods to their madness and the results they're experiencing. there's a pretty interesting and diverse group of folks here, and i enjoy hearing folks' experiences and ideas. 

• Bulletproof ModeratorBulletproof Moderator Upgraded Mod Admin

You could use the Personal Biohacking & Quantified Self forum.

• ah yeah, that makes sense. i guess the words biohacking and quantified just usually make me think of specific experiments and tracking rather than overall personal stories, but that doesn't need to be the case.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Right, so, some stats. I'm 6'7", about 275 and 25 years old. I've no idea what my BF% is, though I imagine it's on the higher side. I'm not especially muscular and don't do any weight training (at the moment). I've been eating paleo/BP for a few years now. At my heaviest I was right around 315; since finding Bulletproof, I've managed to lose a fair bit in roughly a year. I'd have lost even more by now if not for my tendency to cheat with junk.

In the way of health problems, I've had a few over the years. I've been borderline hypertensive for some time, but find that a paleo diet and regular exercise tends to lower my blood pressure to the optimal range. I have family history of diabetes on both sides; not sure how much that matters, though I find that binging on carb-rich foods, be they junk or otherwise, tends to result in postprandial sugars a good deal higher than I'd like. Eating a more bulletproof diet and doing IF, they drop down into the optimal range as well. I guess I could call myself metabolically deranged, if not prediabetic. I've had skin problems in the past, the biggest of which is hidradenitis suppurativa. Certain trigger foods and increased stress lead to break-outs of painful, pus-filled boils. It's an autoimmune thing.They can get big, and they tend to pop up on the lower half of my body. Unpleasant, to say the least. I've never done a proper elimination diet for long enough to suss out the real culprits in my diet, though certain nuts, like peanuts, heightened stress and certain nightshades seem to summon them up. I've also had trouble with reccurent jock itch and balantis thrush, though since sticking to BP and knocking them out with a prescription cream, they seem to have been defeated (hopefully for good).

I work at a hospital, on the graveyard shift, doing a menial clerical job. That means pretty much 8 hours of sitting a night. And, unfortunately, I'm not active in my off time, as I spend a lot of that time writing novels. When I'm not sitting at work, I tend to sit at home. I have a wife and two kids (a third on the way), and I do get out with them a bit, though I could definitely do with a lot more physical activity. The times in my life I've felt healthiest included chronic cardio; I used to love going to the gym every day, sometimes twice a day, and spending an hour on the elliptical or whatever. I was at my thinnest then, too, around 240, though my body comp still wasn't great as my diet was SAD. So, gotta find some way to incorporate exercise.

Usual supplements include: Vit D3, K-2 complex, Magnesium citrate, Potassium citrate (if I'm not eating much avocado) and Krill oil (when I don't feel like eating sardines). I also sometimes take Rhodiola Rosea. I find it helps me cope with stress. I have a few others in my cabinet, though I don't use them with much regularity. L-Theanine, Ashwagandha. Haven't seen results from either of these, unfortunately.

My goals are many, but generally I want to settle into a steady routine, improve my health, appearance and performance. I write a lot, and I find that my motivation tends to wane when I fall out of my routine or eat junk. I'd like to try and keep razor-sharp focus on my goals and remain motivated where my writing is concerned. If I want to make a living out of it in the near future, this is a must.

Today, I slept for almost 10 hours. This was on the back of some rather nefarious eating and my sleep was peppered with bad dreams. I got up at 10PM, took a quick shower and drove on out. And here I am now, writing this. Things are usually slow for me, so I do a lot of my reading/posting on this forum from work.

I'll be fasting for the night. I've been eating poorly off and on for more than a week now; eating grassfed beef on one day, McDonald's on the next. Because of this, my body feels a bit crappy when I try to fast. I've become more dependent on cheap carbs for energy, and going too long without leads to headaches, crappy moods and a general feeling of weakness/shakiness. I'm going to force myself to fast for the night, sipping solely on my bottle of Gerolsteiner, and will possibly down a can of coconut milk along with my supplements when I wake up tomorrow, if I feel like I really need something. And if I handle the fasting better than expected, I might try to ease into a 3-day water fast.

I'd list everything I ate earlier today, but it's a bit of a blur. Sampled a lot of things while walking around the mall with my family, and then stopped off for lunch and really let loose. Double Quarter Pounder with large fries. Soda. I remember those. A cookie, too. Milkshake from another place, as well. More that I can't recall at the moment. Ugh. Went to bed feeling kind of spacy and drunk, even though no alcohol was involved. I'll start documenting my intake starting from this point instead.

So, with all of that out of the way, I'll post about what goes into my mouth tomorrow. If anyone actually took the time to read this, thanks. And if you do find yourself following along, feel free to post comments, questions or whatever.

Oh, and since a lot of us talk about the whole ejaculation thing and its impact on focus and energy, I'll keep track of that, too.

Today's intake: Water

Days since last ejaculation: (2)

I'll try and track my blood pressures, weights and blood sugars as I'm able as well.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• SystemSystem mod
    edited June 2014

Mother of God. I wish I had saved that Vince McMahon .gif for this thread.

Oh, what the hell. I'll post it once more.

GZUKvFD.gif

Seriously, though, you could coach your son up to be a blue-chip Offensive Tackle if you're into football.

Right, so, some stats. I'm 6'7", about 275 and 25 years old.

Going to put this on hold temporarily. My most recent deadline is going to make the next 2 days more than a little hectic and it occurs to me that I should come up with some thoughtful way to format these posts.

I'll be back.

• edited June 2014
    I have a little market near my house that sells brewed root beer and old fashioned soda pop (they also have an awesome beer selection). I'll treat myself to one of those every now and then, but avoid Coke and Pepsi like the plague. Become a soda snob. If it isn't made with pure cane sugar and real ingredients, turn your nose up at it. Drink water or unsweetened iced tea (carry stevia packets if you need sweet) when you're out.

The general principle here is: work on eliminating high fructose corn syrup from your diet. It's like crack, and will keep you wanting more.

I remember my cousin telling me he stopped drinking soda (we were about your age then). I asked how he managed, since I loved refilling my drink four or five times and considered it one of the best things about eating out. He responded that one thing he loved about it was that it saved him three bucks whenever he ate out. That made a lot of sense to me then - but when you can get a soda for a buck a lot of the time, it's a little less persuasive. That's where developing a love for iced tea comes in. And if you drink some real sodas like a true snob, the crappy cracky ones become less appealing.

Thought of getting a standing desk?

______

Thinking of getting a treadmill workstation, actually. I hear standing for too long is bad for you in other ways. But... seeing as how the treadmill part is expensive as hell, a standing workstation may be a more affordable option, and at least I could mix things up, going from sitting to standing. Thanks for the tip!

• I also have a standing desk and have bought a http://www.kybun.com/products-and-stores/kybun-products/kybounder.html recently.
    (I shopped around for a decent price).

this has made a huge difference ... I am basically now standing non stop and never get tired anymore.

Good luck on your journey Demon!
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I also thought standing desk when I read your post. I don't understand why people pay for this stuff. I put a box on a regular desk and stand on a rug. It's nice. And free. If I get sick of the box I will go to Home Depot and build risers for the desk, for like $10. 

• Tried something like this on longecity after 2 days had nothing to report. Good way to keep track but there are just so many variables, sometimes you feel great other times you don't, you try and repeat it exactly with different results.

I can relate to feeling great on the cardio, used to do tonnes inc medium distance with a few marathons, but am convinced its not healthy. now opt for core exercises and  yoga as much as possible.

As for the no fap protocol, if your a healthy 25 year old properly utilizing the BP diet I sincerely wish you the best of luck getting past the 4 day mark, its a killer. 

Thanks for the suggestions on the standing workstation, guys. I suppose I could just rig something up on the cheap for the time being. All of this sitting makes me feel terribly unhealthy. Like, the more I sit, the worse I feel. Going to see what I can throw together. If I manage to put together something nice, maybe I'll even post a picture haha.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow afternoon and will be stocking up on BP favorites. I'll try and make a post about my food selections and start tracking meals. I've been feeling pretty awful the past couple days; suboptimal food and really crappy sleep. I'm going to be heading into a new schedule, too, which should help me balance sleep and work more efficiently. I think I'll be sleeping from ~8 AM to 4 PM each day, eating around 5 PM and then doing writing/errands/family stuff for the rest of the day. On nights when I work (5/ week), that begins at 11 PM.

We'll see how things go~

• Sounds like a discipline issue on the food. This works for me, maybe it will help you. My discipline is binary. NO Wheat means its not even an option. Then you start feeling better and need less discipline. I find if I let myself have it every once in a while I do not do well.

Feeling good becomes its own reward and the mere existence of the other food annoys you. Screw you Hybridized Gluten and all the trouble you have caused people!!!!!!

McDonalds really? (I say with a tough love pointed finger ;-) Watch Supersize me, make a decision and be done with it. If you cheat than you never really made a true decision in the first place

I haven't read Fast Food Nation, but I just looked it up. Looks interesting!

Yeah, it seems that giving myself an inch leads to me taking several miles. Once I start I just can't seem to stop. Pretty miserable.

I'm actually going to go grocery shopping this morning after I get home from work. Ate about half a pound of ground beef, a cup and a half of basmati rice, half a stick of butter and a head of broccoli yesterday before watching a little soccer and turning in. Some olives, too. My stomach was bothering me, so I didn't feel like staying up and eating more later. Hella hungry right now, however-- and being at work, the cafeteria is soon to open. I'm going to have to just do something else. I've got a book that needs written in like the next 10 days, so I should really just focus on that.

The worst thing about eating cheat foods with any frequency? Aside from feeling like crap? I find I can't go without a meal for long periods. Where I ordinarily do IF for 16-20+ hours a day, I find myself getting too hungry and irritable when I eat junk. Feels like I've lost a super power haha.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

have you read fast food nation?

=====

I read this and immediately stopped eating McDonalds. Haven't eaten it in over 9 years now.

• yeah that seems to be a common response to that book. when i read it i was already off the fast food wagon for the most part, but reading it really sealed the deal and made it a "yeah i'm never touching that crap again" kind of thing. the movie doesn't do the book justice (how could it - like 300 pages of nonfiction in a fiction movie?) but is worth a watch. better to read the book first if you can though. i think the last time i ate fast food was around 2007, i hadn't eaten fast food in a long time and someone convinced me to stop at Arby's on a road trip. i  got a headache and puked, lesson learned - that shit is not food (literally!). 

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Supersize Me was a terrible movie. Poison makes the dose and Spurlock made a sensationalist movie (which is how you sell tickets) and his rule of do what the cashier says is ridiculous. Everyone HERE should know almost all fast food is junk and should be able to make their own compromises to their dietary quality...using a drama to guide his life won't be convincing proof for Demon to stop anything; he's a sharp cat and will see through it.

McDonalds really? (I say with a tough love pointed finger :wink: Watch Supersize me, make a decision and be done with it. If you cheat than you never really made a true decision in the first place

• yeah supersize me kind of sucked. the best parts of it were the bits of info pulled from Fast Food Nation, which not only talks about the health impacts but how messed up and unethical every part of the fast food business is, from the sources of the food to the way it is marketed, to the way the employees are treated, etc. not to hijack the thread or anything, but this seems like one of the most important steps demon can take on his journey. 

edited June 2014

Fast Food Nation (book, NOT the Greg Kinnear movie) was good and eye-opening--like a modern version of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Demon should read it if he's actually close to giving up fast food, but even though that book is good, it's not likely to push many to give up fast food 100%.

On a side note, to make change happen in the food industry, the USDA/FDA need to mandate "glass walls" for the public to openly view ANY part of the animal food chain they want to see. Then consumers can vote with their feet and it'll open up a whole new era of ethical animal husbandry. Producers would finally be able to be held accountable and not just by activist shills beating animals on "hidden" cameras to sacrifice one animal to drive their vegetarian agenda. This kind of transparency will actually convince many people to make change in their eating habits, and that, in turn, will drive producers to change.

Definitely going to look this book up. Sounds right up my alley!

Though Supersize Me was kind of a bad film and Morgan Spurlock's a bit of a dumbass, I have to admit it was super entertaining. Sensationalism, to be sure. But entertaining.

Just got back from the grocery store. Decided I'm going to do some BP fasting for the next few days to get my gut back on track. Stocked up on Kerrygold, bought some good coffee and some mineral water. I've also got a huge bottle of MCT oil. With my supplements, I should be all set. The first day or so is going to be brutal, but I'll load up on the butter and hope all goes well. I feel so good when I fast for longer periods-- especially with BPC to power me. So hopefully I can power through that initial hurdle.

I don't know if this technically counts as the RFLP, but I plan on going at least 3 or 4 days on just BPC and supplements. So, I guess it's kind of that.

Wish me luck...!

Oh, I got a flyer for a new, local gym in the mail today. It's a small mom n' pop outfit, by the looks of it, and they're looking to attract new members with low rates. Either $10 a month or $99 for a year, with supposedly no commitment. They're also open 24/7, which is super cool, and only about five or ten minutes away from me. Thinking I might sign up. Going to tour the place first and make sure it's not a hell-hole. I'm a little suspicious, since Planet Fitness has similar pricing, and I've heard from tons and tons of people about how dishonest and nasty the folks at Planet Fitness are. But mayhaps this will be different. It would be super nice to have access to a gym again. Even if I just do 30 minutes of cardio and lift a few weights, it'd be a nice change. I'm off tomorrow, so I might stop in for a tour.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

thats weird about planet fitness. i haven't had any problems with them, but i'm only there for about 20 minutes each week doing my BBS routine. cardio?! you know Master Dave's gonna kick your ass for that one right?!

and i just can't let this many mentions of supersize me go by without linking this video (again, sorry to muck up your thread demon, but you'll probably enjoy this):

edited June 2014

What Papa Asprey don't know won't hurt him! Lol

I've just heard a few sinister things about Planet Fitness' financial practices and how they've been known to take advantage of members. Dunno if it's a widespread thing, but I was warned away from them by a few people I know. Also read a lot of unsavory reviews in that vein. There's one that opened up within like 5 minutes of me, and I'd considered signing up at the time.

I certainly don't plan to overdo it with cardio, but it feels good to me.

At work now, drinking my BPC. Good stuff. I took 6,000 IUs of D3, my K2 complex, half a gram of Rhodiola, Mag citrate and Potassium Citrate. Feeling pretty good, though I could've used a little more sleep. Alas.

Jesus, Planet Fitness hands out pizza and bagels different days of the month and gives members candy. Without getting mean-spirited (I can't stand the email forwards of Walmart shoppers but Planet Fitness is falling prey to the same pic-filled email forwards) it's not the kind of gym I think true health-nuts would want to frequent. I think it'd lower your HRV being there...and Demon, I'm pretty sure you'll get in a fight with someone if you were a member there.

Jesus, Planet Fitness hands out pizza and bagels different days of the month and gives members candy. Without getting mean-spirited (I can't stand the email forwards of Walmart shoppers but Planet Fitness is falling prey to the same pic-filled email forwards) it's not the kind of gym I think true health-nuts would want to frequent. I think it'd lower your HRV being there...and Demon, I'm pretty sure you'll get in a fight with someone if you were a member there.

______

Hahaha, yeah, I've heard of their free pizza days. That's crazy. I bet Drummin shows up for those on the regular, right?  :wink:

• SystemSystem mod
    edited June 2014

Demon is 6'7". As such, no one is going to mess with him.

Demon is 6'7". As such, no one is going to mess with him.

_________

The height does have its perks, I guess. It's true that a lot of people don't mess with me. Of course, it's a double-edged sword. A lot of people tend to avoid me because they're intimidated. People have told me that I look "serious" or "intimidating" until they get to know me. But I'm not a big, jacked, obnoxious dude, and I'm never one to pick fights, so I'm not sure where they get the impression. Lord knows there are tons of guys half my height out there who could drop my ass in a hot second, haha.

edited June 2014

I know how tall he is. He also seems like the sort of dude that might just chess move some dumbass, testosterone-poisoned short dude into saying or doing something stupid--just for fun. You know, like the yippy little poodles with their Tapout shirts. (I own a couple tapout shirts, for the record, and am only 5'10" but I'm not yippy)

edited June 2014

Lolol. No, that's not me at all. I scarcely speak to other people when I'm out in public. If someone engages me, which is rare, I tend to be excruciatingly polite. If some meathead were to diss me, I'd probably just agree with him and offer to buy him a Muscle Milk. Hahaha

I'm exaggerating, of course. But I've never been fond of confrontation. Perhaps my internet persona has given a different impression??