A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

1101112131416»

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

My shoes were getting pretty threadbare, and upon inspection I found the uneven wear to be rather profound, so I threw on a newer pair. Between this and a lower step-volume, I find the clicking is reduced. Still taking extra collagen and doing some turmeric tea, but overall the knee's doing a little better.

Still not sure what I'll do in the long-term, though. My legs are fucked, always have been, but they've never given me issues up to this point. Turns out I may have been taking things for granted. It's possible I could see a physiotherapist or something and get fitted shoes/insoles that could help the problem, but I have to wonder if weird-ass feet like mine can be accommodated lol.

My clubfoot was corrected when I was rather young, so it isn't something I think about with frequency. It was more of a: "Now that I've had surgery, my foot's pretty much normal, yay!" That may not be the case, however. Reading into it, I was dismayed to find that people who've had their clubfeet surgically repaired often go on to have decades of issues with their feet and knees, and that the medical community doesn't really have a whole lot to offer them. Shoes/PT can only do so much, and depending on the degree of pre-surgical deformity these interventions may not even work. Some of them suffer to the point of debilitation. Most of these people probably eat like shit, guzzle painkillers and don't train with weights, but I wonder if a non-inflammatory diet and squats will be enough to help me hammer out my issues. Perhaps I'll be a cripple by 55 haha.

I've worn minimalist shoes for a few years because I want to strengthen my feet, and I feel like that's a good decision. Walking barefoot as much as possible, improving muscle symmetry through squats and leg press, and wearing shoes without a significant amount of uneven wear is probably going to be the best way forward for me. If the clicking doesn't go away I may have to have the knee looked at by an MD, but I'm hoping it's a minor thing that'll just go away in time. The pain is transient and not at all debilitating, so I'll wait and watch. Probably going to keep the walking a little below the 15k mark, though. Just in case.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

In other news, I tried smoked mussels in olive oil today for the first time and HOLY SHIT, they were good. Nutritional powerhouses, too. Need to get more shellfish into my life!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

edited May 2016

Slowly ramping up the walking again. Don't want to speak up and jinx myself, but the clicking isn't happening as much now and the pain I've felt is starting to fade. In fact, all of the sitting I've been doing over the past couple of days seems to have pissed my joints off. Once the joint is sufficiently "warmed up", the clicking occurs a lot less. It's worst when I first stand up and start walking after a period of sitting. This, along with the stiffness, almost makes me wonder if it isn't something like arthritis of the knee, but that seems rather far-fetched at 27 in a non-athlete like me. Anyhow, it's slowly improving, which I'm thrilled about. I hate sitting around.

I recently discovered Wild Planet's sardines in EVOO with lemon, and they're the best goddamned sardines I've ever had. Like, whoa. If I had to choose one sardine variety to eat for the rest of my days, this would be it. I want to lick the frigging tin afterward they're so tasty.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

I already jinxed it, right after posting I never had any knee pain I hit my knee on my file cabinet. Hurt like hell for the remainder of that day. 

Sardines with olive oil and lemon sounds nice, gonna make that myself today.

Today's my first day on second shift. Pretty wild. I went to bed at about 1130 last night and awoke naturally at 8 this morning with the sunlight. Felt good to sleep in actual darkness.

• Congrats!