A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited June 2014

Big dudes usually don't (seek confrontation), I'm just teasing but I did learn a bit about your thought process chatting about parenting a couple months ago!  ;)

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

Fast Food Nation (book, NOT the Greg Kinnear movie) was good and eye-opening--like a modern version of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Demon should read it if he's actually close to giving up fast food, but even though that book is good, it's not likely to push many to give up fast food 100%.

On a side note, to make change happen in the food industry, the USDA/FDA need to mandate "glass walls" for the public to openly view ANY part of the animal food chain they want to see. Then consumers can vote with their feet and it'll open up a whole new era of ethical animal husbandry. Producers would finally be able to be held accountable and not just by activist shills beating animals on "hidden" cameras to sacrifice one animal to drive their vegetarian agenda. This kind of transparency will actually convince many people to make change in their eating habits, and that, in turn, will drive producers to change.

This reminded me that I had to read both of those books as a sophomore in high school. Don't remember much from either book. Fast Food Nation didn't  stop me from getting at job at McDonald's the same year I read it, and shoot my burger flipping career spans 8 years now HAHAHAHa. 

In regards to gym membership why join a gym when you can do pushups and ab exercises on any surface. Then all you need is a playground with monkey bars to do pull ups and chinups, find a spot to do dips. And I've found that swinging on a swingset never gets old, might be one of the most relaxing things in the world to do and its a great hip thrusting exercise.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• yeah i show up with bulletproof pamphlets denouncing pizza as a false prophet.

planet fitness is sort of the walmart of gyms, and if you care about your gym's quality definitely avoid it. i think gyms in general are kind of ridiculous though, i just needed a place with some weight machines that is close by and as cheap as possible. its $10 a month plus a $20 sign up fee i think...i don't see how they can really do any shady stuff to me unless they're coating all of the weight machines with mycotoxins...

______

Hahaha, yeah, I've heard of their free pizza days. That's crazy. I bet Drummin shows up for those on the regular, right?  :wink:

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I signed up for a gym membership today for my wife and I. $20 a month, many bells and whistles that I likely won't use (tanning lol). The biggest draw was the fact it's 24/7 and has all new equipment. Bull of Heaven had a good point, though-- a playground would likely have been just as good. And a heck of a lot cheaper.

I'm looking forward to using the gym and they have a wide range of machines that I should be able to utilize for a BBS style workout in the future. Kind of pumped.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Supersize Me was a terrible movie. Poison makes the dose and Spurlock made a sensationalist movie (which is how you sell tickets) and his rule of do what the cashier says is ridiculous. Everyone HERE should know almost all fast food is junk and should be able to make their own compromises to their dietary quality...using a drama to guide his life won't be convincing proof for Demon to stop anything; he's a sharp cat and will see through it.

Well Supersize me might not impress anyone on the Bulletproof forums, but it was enough to stop me from ever eating fast food again before I knew much about nutrition (7 years ago). If you are still eating McDonalds and a knowledgeable Bulletproof forum user going than an emotional / sensationalist movie might just be what the doctor ordered

Watching him not having sex anymore was enough for me ;-)

• Does the gym have a sauna? When I had membership with LA Fitness, I always used the sauna and loved it, so much so that I would sometimes drive down to the gym just to use it. The only turn off was that I wasn't sure how good the air quality was in the room, so I would always bring a towel and cover my nose, breathing into the towel.

I signed up for a gym membership today for my wife and I. $20 a month, many bells and whistles that I likely won't use (tanning lol). The biggest draw was the fact it's 24/7 and has all new equipment. Bull of Heaven had a good point, though-- a playground would likely have been just as good. And a heck of a lot cheaper.

I'm looking forward to using the gym and they have a wide range of machines that I should be able to utilize for a BBS style workout in the future. Kind of pumped.

edited June 2014

Does the gym have a sauna? When I had membership with LA Fitness, I always used the sauna and loved it, so much so that I would sometimes drive down to the gym just to use it. The only turn off was that I wasn't sure how good the air quality was in the room, so I would always bring a towel and cover my nose, breathing into the towel.

_________

No, but I wish it did! I love a good sauna. My old gym had one, but the membership was a lot more expensive.

It's nearly 5 in the morning. I'm heading out to the gym now for my first workout in ages. Going to do a wee bit o' cardio and just lift some weights. Need to get a good feel for my baseline and see how much my muscles have atrophied since I last picked up heavy things with any frequency lol.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• SystemSystem mod
    edited June 2014

Regarding the bolded part, nah, man, you're straight. You've been a cool ass dude on this forum, and I'm sure you're chill in real life, too. 

Lolol. No, that's not me at all. I scarcely speak to other people when I'm out in public. If someone engages me, which is rare, I tend to be excruciatingly polite. If some meathead were to diss me, I'd probably just agree with him and offer to buy him a Muscle Milk. Hahaha

I'm exaggerating, of course. But I've never been fond of confrontation. Perhaps my internet persona has given a different impression??

edited June 2014

Regarding the bolded part, nah, man, you're straight. You've been a cool ass dude on this forum, and I'm sure you're chill in real life, too. 

_____

Thank god you all missed that post I made about punching dogs...

Just got back from the gym. Did a half hour of cardio, nothing too strenuous, and then hit the weights. Did some benching, shoulders and arm work. Not a ton of weight, so it's apparent I've lost some strength over the past year or so. Nevertheless, it felt good as hell to lift again. My upper body feels super tight, and I'll likely have some massive DOMS for the next few days.

And I still can't do a single pull-up ;-; Going to have to work on those. Thankfully the gym was practically empty, so I didn't make an ass of myself while trying to do one haha. Any of you have tips on how to work up to a pull-up at the gym? They haven't got one of those assisted pull-up machines, unfortunately.

ETA: Took as cold a shower as I could stand. Started off with warm water and then slowly transitioned to the colder stuff. Invigorating, though it may not be enough to allay the oncoming DOMS. Felt good, anyway. I'd read that cold baths/showers can help with muscle soreness after a workout.

• maybe try using a chair or jumping to get yourself up to the pull up position, then as slow as you can, let yourself down. you are stronger on the return than on the way up, so that could maybe help get things started. or use a pulldown machine with a lighter weight and work your way up. 

• maybe try using a chair or jumping to get yourself up to the pull up position, then as slow as you can, let yourself down. you are stronger on the return than on the way up, so that could maybe help get things started. or use a pulldown machine with a lighter weight and work your way up. 

Agreed -- that's how I learned to do pullups. It took a couple weeks.

Be prepared for massive soreness afterwards -- eccentric (negative) movements create more soreness. I'd suggest checking this thread on breathing to reduce soreness. In my experience it has been helpful.   http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9919-most-exciting-recovery-hack-ever-this-is-genious/?hl=recovery

Put an ottoman on my desk and stuck my laptop on top of it. A make-shift standing workstation! I'd gone looking for something that would fit the bill, and this seems perfectly ergonomic.

I'm on vacation for the next 9 days and I have a BUTTLOAD to write.  I've got a sci-fi novel to write (more than 40,000 words), an erotic short story due tomorrow that I haven't started (3-5,000 words), an erotic romance novella (25,000 more words) and a few other projects. I'm also broke, so this vacation of mine is going to be largely spent in the office, doing a lot of typing. To that end, I hope that the standing workstation can help to mitigate some of the health risks!

I've been eating pretty well as of recent; except for a small 4th of July slip-up that involved some ice cream and corn chips... and a slice of pizza... I've been sticking to my guns. I've been hitting the gym most days, doing 30-40 minutes of uphill walking on the treadmill, followed by weightlifting on some days. The soreness has mostly faded, and I feel more energized than normal, which is great. My weightlifting routine has been kind of willy-nilly; one day I'll do arms, focusing on biceps and triceps, the next I'll do chest and shoulders, then legs, etc. Something like BBS seems more efficient, though I'm not sure I'm fit enough to tackle such a beastly workout right from the onset. I've been sleeping a ton, like 10-12 hours a day, too. Looking to get back to bout 8 hours, but damn... when you don't have work every night, it feels damn good to be able to sleep in!

But yeah. Gonna get back to writing now. Thanks for all of the suggestions in this thread, y'all!

Resurrecting this thread...

OK. I plan to try and live in as Bulletproof a fashion as possible for the next 30 days. I've been eating more or less bulletproof and supplementing, but I don't feel like my head is in the right place. I've been having trouble focusing and actually getting shit done, so I feel like I need to buckle down and really get my habits sharpened to a point. I'm going to use this thread on the daily for the next month, giving at least a brief description of the day's events, meals, activities, etc. I'll track food intake, supplements, sleep and exercise. And anything else you guys think I should track.

If anyone cares to follow along, help keep me accountable by critiquing my posts ;)

I think the most sustainable way for me to do this is just to follow a regular ol' BP diet with IF. I haven't been fasting for the last week or so, which might make it a little harder for me to get back on that track, but I've had success with it in the past.

My schedule for August is going to look like this, due to work (I work a night-shift secretary job at a hospital):

8 AM- 4PM-- Sleep

4PM-- BP coffee, supplements

5PM-- Meal

7PM-7AM-- Work (I'll bring along a BPC in my thermos, but otherwise I don't eat again till my meal the next day)

That starts August 1st, which is 6 days from now. I'm going to try and get into that schedule now, if possible. Any free time will be filled with writing or family time or errands or whatever. In the way of exercise, I also plan to take up a BBS style workout-- my gym has all of the machines I need, so I'll fit that in somewhere every 7-10 days.

Going grocery shopping tomorrow as well. I'll post a more detailed list of my groceries once they're actually bought and paid for, however I anticipate a lot of grassfed beef, Lindt 85%, Kerrygold, coffee, Gerolsteiner and broccoli. I'll probably pick up some cauliflower, carrots and yams, too. Never been a fan of sweet potatoes, but I feel like they'll make for a more healthful re-feed than rice.

I'm going to keep my carbs at about 50g per day, but eat higher carbs on a weekly re-feed, or on BBS days.

I also think, though I'm not particularly prepared for this, that I might abstain from ejaculation for the next month. I've always wanted to do it, but I haven't ever been able to last that long. Think it'll be too much for me to handle? If I have a bunch of Bulletproofers warning me away from the five-knuckle shuffle, it might help lolol.

Anyone have any thoughts on this before I move forward? Any suggestions on how to make it an even better experiement, or on other things I ought to track?

Lemme know!

• Thumbs up and I wish you much success!

Re: ejaculatory abstinence, give it a shot (or no shots, LOL) if you feel inclined. Sometimes putting pressure on yourself to abstain makes things more difficult, and it's easier if you are just really busy and so the topic doesn't come up. So it doesn't feel like a dieter's willpower struggle vs temptation. As Dave has mentioned, willpower is a finite resource.

Today's been a shit day, but as promised, here's a little summary.

Got to bed a bit after 8 AM. Only managed to sleep till about 1 PM, since we had a contractor over to fix one of the showers in our apartment. I managed another hour's sleep after that, but felt like crap at five when my day really started. Made a bulletproof coffee with some cocoa powder, 3 pats of kerrygold and a tablespoon or so of MCT and set out with my kids to grocery shop.

Hit up two local stores and came away with a few pounds of grassfed ground beef. Was disappointed that I could only find the 90/10-- usually I go for the 85/15. I guess I'll have to add extra butter to it. I bought some organic carrots, a few heads of broccoli, a bar of Lindt 85%, some green olives, some Gerolsteiner and LaCroix and some (paleo, but not necessarily BP) foods for my wife and kids. This will last us a few days. I'll probably go out tomorrow to pick up some more butter and to search for some better meat. A nice, thick steak sounds good right about now, but the only good-looking steaks I could find today were sadly conventional. I also need to grab another bottle of activated charcoal tomorrow, too. I'm running a bit low on that.

It's now 11PM as I write this. I have the night off of work, so I'm about to go into the kitchen to make some beef, broccoli and carrots. Going to drown that shit in butter. So damn hungry right now. Thankfully I had my BPC with me at the grocery store, otherwise I might've been tempted by crappy foods. The lack of sleep and lack of food in my belly has given me a headache and I'm feeling fairly grumpy.

I think it's been about 2 or 3 days since my last ejaculation. I've been horny off and on throughout the day, but I find that not thinking about sex, or actively trying to think about other things, keeps me pretty well distracted from such desires when they do spring up. Going to keep doing that, though I'm sure it'll only get harder (lol).

I'll be up till about 6 or so in the morning, writing a novel. I figure I'll turn in just a little earlier than normal to make up for the lack of sleep today.

Today's update:

It's day 2 now of this experiment. Slept a bit better last night, but it took me forever to get to sleep. My mind couldn't stop racing and I felt a bit horny. Finally got to sleep around 7 or so. Lingered around in bed till around 5PM. At that point I got up and had 2 mugs of BPC. Added a square of Lindt 90% to one of them. After that I made some ground beef and some organic white Jasmine rice. Added some Kerrygold to it and split it with my kiddos. I can't say with certainty how much rice I ate; 3/4ths cup, max. Had a head of steamed broccoli with Kerrygold after that.

I took my supplements today. Don't remember if I've mentioned my stack here before, but this is what I take on a near-daily basis. Feel free to critique:

Vit D3 (4-8,000 IUs/day)

Vit K2 complex

Super Ubiquinol with bio-PQQ

Source Naturals NKO (1 gram)

I take 4-500mg of Potassium citrate and 1 gram of Magnesium citrate with meals. (I don't eat much chicken or avocado, so I supplement potassium.)

I sometimes take half a gram of ginger with meals to aid in digestion, as well as for its positive effect on blood pressure.

I take.5 grams of Rhodiola Rosea sometimes, though I'm currently out of that.

Anyhow, I took all of the usual daily stuff with my BPC and then took the Mag and K with my meal. Thinking I might whip up one last BPC in my Thermos for work. I also plan to pack along some green olives. I found these awesome olives at the store recently. They come in single-serving packets and are packaged with bits of garlic and seasoned with thyme. As far as convenience foods go, they're pretty Bulletproof, IMO (except for the garlic part lol). They're also delicious.

The hardest part of this has been abstaining from ejaculation. I've been REALLY horny today. Like, chasing my wife around the house. I need to cut that shit out and just stop thinking about it, however it's becoming more difficult.

OK. Going to shower and head to work.

Peace~

• I don't think Dave ever suggested abstaining from sex, only from ejaculation (see a book like "The Multi-Orgasmic Man" by Mantak Chia for more info on separating the two). So, keep chasing her around the house if you want to. Not that it matters much, but you have my blessing.

I don't think Dave ever suggested abstaining from sex, only from ejaculation (see a book like "The Multi-Orgasmic Man" by Mantak Chia for more info on separating the two). So, keep chasing her around the house if you want to. Not that it matters much, but you have my blessing.

Haha, I know it. I actually have The Multi-Orgasmic Man, but haven't perfected the technique of separating the two...

I fear that once I get going, I may keep up until completion, haha. But perhaps I'll leaf through the book again and consider it.

edited July 2014

Third day:

My sleep was rather poor and I woke up feeling more groggy than I like. I think I'm drinking BPC too late into my shifts, so I'm just going to stop bringing it to work with me. I'll stick with mineral water at work and drink my BPC at home. Hoping that'll help.

I went for a quick grocery-shopping trip this morning after work and got to bed by 9:30 AM. I picked up more broccoli, more beef, a head of cauliflower, more carrots and some bacon. I need to eat more veggies than just broccoli every day, but I'm really picky lol. I used to be able to squeeze more variety in when I was doing smoothies, but my blender broke. Next month I may be able to invest in a Vitamix, which would be awesome.

Woke up around 5:30 PM, milled around for a bit in a groggy stupor and then ate some olives at about 6PM. After that I ate 4 squares of Lindt 85% and started dinner. Half a pound of grassfed beef with Kerrygold, five or six pieces of bacon and some broccoli and carrots drenched in butter. I'm currently stuffed. The bacon was organic and fed a "100% vegetarian diet". I realize this likely means its O6 content is fucked, however at least it was organic and not fed animal byproducts. It's probably the best bacon I can find around here, short of calling up a farmer. It tasted hella good, and always gives me good energy. It's like keto gasoline lol. Took my supplements with my meal, also.

Thinking I might run out to the store in a bit to pick up a few more bricks of Kerrygold and some other food for the family. Then I'll be at work by 11. I'm off Monday. Looking forward to more Bulletproof goodness and, hopefully, some quality sleep. I bought a new bed recently, which will be delivered in the next week. Soooo looking forward to that. For the past year or so I've been sleeping on the floor on a thin, futon-style mattress. It was an experiment in minimalism and it was comfortable and convenient enough, however I'm excited to sleep in a proper bed again.

It's crazy, but I'm not especially horny today. None of that "Gotta git sum" business going on. Hope it lasts. I do feel vaguely energetic, though I'm not sure whether it's a ketosis thing or the fact that I'm not burning through my energy for sex. Could be both.

Last night during my lunch break at work I managed to hammer out 2,000 words of my novel in just under an hour. That's a pretty break-neck pace, even for a seasoned writer. I usually can't write this fast, so I'm taking this to mean that my mind is functioning more efficiently. I'm probably at least in a low level of ketosis by now. My only real carbs today were carrots and whatever sugar is in a serving of Lindt. Dunno if I'll do a BPC today, but I might take a shot of MCT oil anyhow. In a few days I might test for ketosis with some Ketostix. They're not the best option, but they should at least tell me if I'm headed in the right direction.

So far, so good.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

When a big guy says 30 grams of olives are a single serving I realise how much I am eating. :D

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Life's been a shitfest lately. Between the water thing and financial stress, everything's been a mess for the past week or so. Haven't been getting enough sleep, haven't been eating well and I've been paying for it. The financial woes have died down for the moment and the water situation has been resolved. So now it's time to get back to the bulletproof life... again.

No, seriously. This is like the hundredth time. Lol. 

• dig the new avatar these days demon...totally fitting. i was actually thinking of the same thing after the podcasts about facial masks and stuff...

just curious, how valuable/irreplaceable is your job? is that a huge source of your stress? i would just think that one of the first things to do to make your life easier (which would make changing other aspects of your life easier) is if you could get your sleep schedule a bit more normalized. do you ever see the sun?! working all night and sleeping all day just does not seem optimal for health, and i realize we all gotta make compromises somewhere, especially if you have to support a family, but on the other hand if you are compromising your ideals for some job (how much do you really care about this job?) what kind of example are you setting for your kids? on some level you are communicating to them and your wife (not to mention yourself!) that it is okay or normal to sacrifice your health, happiness, and well being for a pay check. a pay check that helps you support your family financially, but maybe undermines them psychologically/emotionally/spiritually? of course the sex-hacking thing is going to be hard (huhuh) when your sleep schedule is jacked, do you have any energy to be motivated to do awesome shit? i'm about 3 weeks into the nofap/no porn thing and it really isn't that challenging because i always have other shit to do, AND i have the energy and willpower to do it. but if i was too tired for the plethora of other activities that make my life awesome i'd probably be like "fuck it, at least i can always masturbate...". if feeling awesome yourself isn't enough motivation for you to optimize your life, maybe think about doing it for the people you love, cause if you can figure out how to make it work for yourself you can be an inspiration/role model for the people around you, plus feeling awesome is contagious (as is feeling shitty). after all, if our parents had figured this stuff out, we'd probably all be a lot better off than we are now right?

A lot of good points, Drummin.

Lengthy reply ahead:

I don't like my job. I've worked it for about 7 years now, and the only reason I stay is because I can't really afford to leave it. It's not an awesome job and it doesn't really pay that much. It's comfortable to me because I've been here so long, and it's not a taxing job except for the fact that it's the graveyard shift. Like, literally, I just sit behind a desk for 8 hours a night, shuffle papers, answer phones and surf the Bulletproof forum till the sun comes up. But I've been crapping all over my Circadian rhythms for 7 years now... it's certainly not healthy, no.

Like I've said in other threads, I'm a writer, and I spend a lot of my time writing fiction. It's self-published, and I'm nearly to the point now where I'm making as much from my writing as I am from my day job every month. If I could quit my job and write full time, I could be more productive, get into a normal schedule and probably kick some ass. But it's not so simple; my two kids and my pregnant wife won't be too keen on my dumping the day job unless I can support them without any trouble. It's a big risk. And, you know, we've got bills and debts. A car bill, rent, insurance, school loans, etc, etc. And this Bulletproof thing isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world to maintain either, lol.

I feel like if I could just buckle down and hammer out a few big projects, I might be able to eclipse my day job income by a good margin and maybe cut down to part-time. I've considered using Modafinil for that purpose, but it's no miracle pill. It isn't just going to generate motivation where it doesn't already exist. So yeah. I'm kinda stuck at the moment. If not for this job, I could work from home, and could move pretty much anywhere. Getting out of Ohio would be pretty cool, lol.

But yeah. Ditching the job and getting into a proper sleep schedule is definitely on my list of things to do. I'd hoped to quit the job by August, but I haven't been productive enough and my sales took a slight hit. Alas. My next goal is to put in my two weeks by the end of October, when my wife gives birth. I have enough vacation time to take at least 6 weeks of paid paternity leave. Thinking that I may be able to quit after that if the book monies are substantial enough. But who knows? I guess I should just kick it into high gear and try to get as many debts paid down as I can. Some days it's hard to find the motivation, of course.

• awesome, thats good that you have somewhat of a game plan for gettin out of there. i'm almost in the same boat with my job - been there almost 7 years, the pay isn't great, and its not my ideal life path or anything. and like your job, mine is pretty convenient, i get a lot of down time where i can geek out on the internet and read books, and when i work overnight shifts i'm allowed to sleep for most of the shift. i occasionally look around for another job but haven't found anything that seems like a promising increase of pay without increase of stress. buuut if i had to stay up overnight or even get up super early 5 days a week i'd totally be bailing on that job. when a job fucks with my sleep i just have this feeling in my body that something is very wrong. i think in the long term i am gonna have more luck with decreasing my expenses instead of increasing my income (growing more of my own food, potentially building my own house...). 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Can you use the empty work time to write? No offense intended, I know writing requires much more concentration than this type of job allows, it's not just something to do between two phone calls, but perhaps a couple hours on easier nights. (I do so many stuff in my worktime, because I work freaking fast but they don't allow me home before the 8.5 hours end).

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Oh, yeah. When things are slow, I totally sneak some writing in. I've written almost entire stories at work before, lol. I work at a hospital, so as long as the patients are sleeping and the nurses aren't feeling too needy, I can usually do what I please. Now and then we have terrible, crazy nights that see me spread super thin. But otherwise, yeah. I tend to get at least a little writing each night. I also get an hour lunch. Since I usually IF, I tend to write during that hour, too. Once you get used to writing in public spaces, even the background noise doesn't get to you a whole lot.

edited August 2014

I had Alaskan, wild-caught Sockeye salmon for dinner today. I'd never eaten salmon before. Baked it up with some Kerrygold, salt, pepper and slices of lemon at 400 degrees for like 20 minutes in a packet of parchment paper. Enjoyed some asparagus and organic jasmine rice on the side. Not the most Bulletproof method of preparation for the fish perhaps, but it was sooooooo delicious. Can't believe I waited so long to try salmon. I don't really care for fish, but this almost tasted like steak to me. Will definitely have it again sometime. Anyone have any ways to prepare a more Bulletproof baked salmon?

• dude what? youre like 20-something and never had salmon? kids these days, i tell ya....

i just throw it on the skillet with a bunch of ghee, maybe some ginger and lemon basil or something, then mix it in with a bunch of steamed veggies. the braised salmon recipe in upgraded chef is also super tasty, but a bit more work, and maybe less bulletproof because the coconut oil lessens the absorption of omega 3s according to a study that was mentioned on the forums a while back. 

I was a picky eater as a kid, and the only salmon I was ever exposed to was the canned stuff, smashed into patties and fried in Crisco... lol. Couldn't stand the smell, so I never tried it. Proper salmon is hella delicious, though.

Thanks! That sounds pretty easy. Think I'll give it a shot that way next time.