A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

So, I spent my day writing yesterday. Got a fair bit of work done, utilizing BPC and Nicotine. I also mixed a little L-Theanine into my coffee, which gave me a clearer head. It was a rewarding experience. I made sure to supplement some extra potassium and magnesium before bed to help counteract the spike in blood pressure that the Nicotine tends to cause. Experienced no ill effects.

The only thing plaguing me right now are seasonal allergies. They came on suddenly, leaving me with a sore throat and runny nose. I've been sneezing like mad. As a kid I had horrendous allergies every summer. I'd wake up in the middle of the night sneezing like 30 or 40 times. Sometimes I sneezed so much I'd get a nosebleed. I took Claritin and Zyrtec as a teenager, but as an adult my allergies seemingly disappeared. Was quite surprised to see them return this summer.

I've got some raw honey in my cupboard, but it isn't local. Aside from tracking down some local honey and supplementing it, I can't think of any other way to hack these allergies. Gonna have to do some reading.

Other than that, the Bulletproof life is good. I bought some new coffee the other day, from Portland Roasting. It's really delicious! It's also probably of a higher quality that the Ruta Maya I'd been drinking before it.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

I made mashed cauliflower today for the first time, and it's practically a religious experience. I don't really care for cauliflower normally, but realized I needed to squeeze more veggies into my diet. Cauliflower is nutritious, and the local store was running a sale on it, so here's what I did...

Steamed a head of cauliflower till it was well done, along with a buttload of organic garlic (not BP, I know). I then mashed the cauliflower in a strainer to get the excess water out. From there, I threw it in my food processor with half a brick of Kerrygold, tons of Real Salt and some black pepper. Whipped it until it tasted strikingly like garlic mashed potatoes. It was SO delicious, I seriously couldn't believe it. I could see this becoming a regular side dish for me. I had to restrain myself from eating the whole batch!

Eating Bulletproof is so much more fun when you make new and interesting things. Steamed broccoli, though delicious, does get boring when you eat it every single day!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Demon I'm not trying to be a jerk or kill your motivation but why are you doing so much?

One of the biggest problems that I've had when it comes to being productive, BPC, etc at the same time is how to start making all these great changes at the same time. I'll get on these kicks where I'll want to get in shape, and learn how to eat better, and start a business, and do XYZ, and it always ultimately fails. The only way that I've been able to figure out how to manage everything is by going after one thing at a time until it's a habit and then moving on to the next.

It sounds weird but the way I think about all this Bulletproof stuff (and other things that I want to improve/start) is from the perspective of someone watching a professional plate spinner. It's really easy to watch them work and say 'That looks awesome, I'm going to do that too. Just let me get 25 plates and some sticks. I'll be just as good if I just focus on doing the same thing that they're doing'.

The thing that we don't realize is that the professional plate spinner (let's call him Dave) probably started out learning how to spin one plate (the most important plate), and then he learned how to spin two, and so on. If he started out and tried to spin 20 plates at a time he would probably have just ended up with a lot of broken plates and would've never become the plate spinner that you see before you.

Instead of focusing on the books, the food, the working out, and NOBNOM (hat tip Tim Ferriss), and all these other things, what if you put 100% of your focus on improving one aspect of your life and setting up systems to make adhering to that habit effortless.

You can look up BJ Fogg and his Tiny Habits info to get an idea of what I'm talking about, but that habit could be as simple as focusing 100% of your time on getting at least 7 hours of sleep. If, as of right now, having that time available for sleep was non-negotiable, in a month or two it wouldn't even be a consideration to get less sleep than that. From that point, you could move on to something else. Or you could focus 100% of your energy on diet. Spend all your time figuring out how to make a rock-solid diet work for you 80-100% of the time, and eliminate your cheating on junk food (or do either). After a month or two, I'm positive that you could train yourself to eliminate binge eating junk food (I've done that, I used to be TERRIBLE with cheating) and dramatically clean up your diet.

Anyway, just some (hopefully) helpful advice!

Very helpful, Henry! Thanks! You make a lot of good points.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited August 2014

You can look up BJ Fogg and his Tiny Habits info to get an idea of what I'm talking about

Funny, I wrote a big post, mostly on Fogg  titled Motivation Models and Hacks here

@Demon, fun fact: my Motivation Models and Hacks post originally started as my response to one of your posts in the first page of this thread, where essentially I was making a similar point to Henry, that you're biting off a lot all at once and many psychologists would suggest baby steps instead. As I wrote the post it became larger and was less relevant to your specific situation, so I ended up making a separate thread. But now you know. 

It does, however, seem like in your case one bad choice leads to a cascade of more, so maybe the BJ Fogg stuff isn't as applicable to you. Or, maybe the cascade you experience is because it takes so much willpower to do everything at once that one lapse has a larger impact. Like the more water a dam has to hold back, the more likely it is that one tiny leak will crack the whole thing open. 

I pretty much did one thing at a time... diet, then tracking diet, then add workouts which go on the same tracking spreadsheet... now diet and/or workout adjustments I choose to experiment with based on new info don't take much willpower at all, I just plan them out in my tracking spreadsheet and do them. I'm single and have non-BP friends, so I often have a planned lapse on a Friday or Saturday night, but I no longer seem to have a problem getting right back into things. I used to sometimes cascade into Sunday/Monday after these cheats though, and I'm not sure I can put my finger on what killed the cascades. Keeping tracking (food and activity logging) going even when I had lapses was big for me though, as it's a bit of a moral victory... yeah I ate some crap, but I still met my tracking goals. 

edited August 2014

I remember that post of yours! It was good info that I should have worked harder to implement. It's true that one failure tends to lead to a cascade of failure for me, so maybe focusing my willpower on just a few things, rather than everything, would help me establish a good foundation to build off of. I appreciate the tips!

In other news, I picked up a purple cauliflower today. Looking forward to mashing that up. I understand that it's high in polyphenols and sulfur.

Also, I feel absolutely gutted at the passing of Robin Williams. Woke up a bit ago and saw a story about it on my newsfeed. :sad:

• Also, I feel absolutely gutted at the passing of Robin Williams. Woke up a bit ago and saw a story about it on my newsfeed. :sad:

Yeah. Strange and sad.
  • edited August 2014

I pretty much did one thing at a time... diet, then tracking diet, then add workouts which go on the same tracking spreadsheet... now diet and/or workout adjustments I choose to experiment with based on new info don't take much willpower at all, I just plan them out in my tracking spreadsheet and do them. I'm single and have non-BP friends, so I often have a planned lapse on a Friday or Saturday night, but I no longer seem to have a problem getting right back into things. I used to sometimes cascade into Sunday/Monday after these cheats though, and I'm not sure I can put my finger on what killed the cascades. Keeping tracking (food and activity logging) going even when I had lapses was big for me though, as it's a bit of a moral victory... yeah I ate some crap, but I still met my tracking goals. 

Makes me think of dominos. Maybe what we need to do to stop those cascades is to identify the first thing that causes the cascade. For me, there are two: (1) Having ANYTHING that I'm shouldn't be eating will immediately cause me to have more bad things that day, and then I'll feel bad about it, and (2) Being really hungover will obliterate my willpower and cause me to cascade.

To fix that, I need to adopt a binary approach to sugary/junk/bread foods where I'm either eating them or I'm not. Even a small amount (like birthday cake at the office) will wreck me for the day. Additionally, I need to watch my drinking, keeping it to only 2-3 drinks per night. That should eliminate all cascades.

@Demon, what causes you to cascade? Is there any way you can stop it?

Edit: I'm not trying to thread hijack, so please keep responses focused on Demon and not me.

@Demon, what causes you to cascade? Is there any way you can stop it?

Edit: I'm not trying to thread hijack, so please keep responses focused on Demon and not me.

Don't worry about thread-jacking, mate. As long as there's a good conversation going on here, I'm all for it!

For me, eating junk food inevitably causes a cascade. I may allow myself a small indulgence; a cookie or two, let's say. Without fail, that's going to turn into at least a day of bad dietary choices. I can justify it a hundred different ways. "Well, I've already messed up for the day, may as well make it count!" etc. More often than not, it turns into at least a couple days of nasty food. Eventually, I get to feeling rather guilty and my body feels the ill effects. When that happens, I wise up and begin to correct my behavior. But the brain fog and other symptoms can make me lazy and unmotivated at times, leading to further slips. It's like quicksand, in a way. The best way for me to avoid getting sucked in is to side-step it to begin with.

I think I'm going to focus on the dietary aspect right now. As long as that's intact, I find I do fairly consistent work on my writing and I sleep better. Everything tends to go better when I eat right. I've had cravings for things like potato chips today, but I'm just doubling up on my butter intake and ignoring them. I've been "clean" for nearly a week now and my body feels good. Just need to keep trekking. As long as I don't yield to that first bite, perhaps I can keep the dominoes from falling.

Thanks again for all of the comments, folks. I'm finding this thread super helpful.

Dinner tonight: Sockeye, grass-fed steak and asparagus!

• I'm finding the tips about focusing on one thing very helpful. I've also been encountering the problem of trying to do many things at once, and feeling frustrated that I am not master of the universe yet, when I'm really just a starter at the BP path. I'm appreciating this thread, both Demon's sharings and everyone else's tips, many of which I've found applicable to my own situation.

• I would add that my ability to eat junk one day then not cascade is VERY related to having very little if any off-plan food at home. Certainly not junk food. And to making sure I have plenty of on-plan food. For example I have some nice cheddar in my fridge right now and I'm not having trouble avoiding it, but I also don't consider "junk" because I tolerate cheese quite well. It's off-plan, but not a disaster like candy or something. And even though I need to go grocery shopping later today, if I get super hungry I've got nuts, dark chocolate, eggs, and Upgraded Whey, all of which are more convenient than going out to get pizza or something. 

Changing one's environment is a huge willpower hack.

If you do find yourself going out to procure junk, I think a great first goal / tiny habit is "I will eat one bite of on-plan food before I go out to get junk." That may well start a positive cascade where you eat more on-plan food, perhaps to satiety. 

• The key is keeping that on-plan food available wherever you are.
  • I've noticed that bad decisions with regard to food are related to situations where I'm sleep deprived.  A few weeks ago, I had to switch from the day shift to night shift abruptly- basically worked a 17 hour day.  Being that tired noticeably impaired judgment, and it was a very good thing there was a limited amount of crappy food at home.

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

edited August 2014

Today's my birthday. I'm 26. Feels really weird.

When I was a kid, I used to wonder what life would be like in my 20's and 30's. It seemed so far away back then. And now I'm closing in on 30. Soon I'll be three decades old and the "prime" of my life will be behind me. The passage of time is such a strange thing. I've got two toddlers at home and a daughter on the way. It makes me feel ancient, as silly as that sounds.

A few days back, my parents had us over for an early birthday celebration for me and my son. My youngest and I share our birthday (he's 2 this year :3) They ordered loads of pizza from my favorite place and served ice cream.

And I ate it. Lots of it.

But you know what? Something was different this time. I enjoyed hanging out with my folks, had lots of food and an all around good time. I didn't stress out over it, didn't think: "DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH POISON IS IN THE SAUSAGE ALONE, YOU MAD MAN??" When it was all through, I didn't feel like running out to the store and eating a ton of shit. I just took a few caps of charcoal, a swig of MCT and went right back to eating BP the next day, as if I'd never deviated. I did have a lot of gas the next morning, and my mood was a bit sour, but otherwise it was an overall positive experience. 9 times out of 10, this sort of thing would lead to a days-long binge-fest. But perhaps the social aspect this time was enough to allay that.

Today is my actual birthday, of course, and I'm working. I briefly entertained that old "It's my birthday, why don't I go and grab some crappy food to celebrate!" But... I didn't. I had a tin of sardines for lunch and some olives. And then I sat down and did a bunch of writing. I figure it's better to give myself the gifts of productivity and health, rather than, say, Diabetes. lol

There are a lot of things in my life I want to change, a lot of things I'm unhappy about and wish to improve. I realized today that if I want to move past this rut in my life, I need to transcend the world around me. If I don't want to be some mindless zombie with no energy or creativity, I can't let myself eat like one. If I want to be a successful writer, then I need to quit dicking around and actually, you know, write faster. If I want to move out of my crappy apartment and buy a house some day, I need to work hard at my job and at my writing so that I can start saving up. If I want to improve my lot in life, I need to rise above my setting and make it happen.

It can be easy for me to lose sight of little epiphanies like these, but I'm hoping that won't happen this time. I have a good feeling about the novel I'm working on and, eating Bulletproof, I feel really good. So life is going well right now, and I hope it'll continue in an upward trajectory!

Anyhow, I'm babbling now, so I'll quit. Lol

I just wanted to jot a quick note here about how grateful I am to this community. I've learned so much since joining up. Everyone who's chimed in with advice and encouragement around here has my heartfelt thanks. Thanks for reading this rambling post of mine, and I hope that I'll be able to contribute to your life someday the same way you've contributed to mine!

Peace~

• happy birthday man! dude, the prime of your life hasn't happened, i can tell. i bet if you keep up the work in dialing your life in, 30 will be better than 20. it might change your perspective a bit, but i've found that hitting the 3-0 kind of inspired me to really focus on making my life the best it can be NOW instead of putting shit off for later. normal aging and regular life would maybe put you on a downward spiral, but consciously choosing to take a look at your life and direct it with your will can reverse that shit! 

Have any of you ever had purple cauliflower? I made some today, mashed, with tons of butter and garlic.

And it was terrible. It had a nasty bitter taste. Perhaps the polyphenols were to blame for that, but after forcing down a few bites, I had to pitch it. I think I'll stick to the white stuff from now on.

Damn, I need to hurry up and buy a Vitamix. Smoothies help me get a lot more veggie content into my diet. Today, aside from a few bites of the nasty cauliflower, I didn't have time to eat any other veggies before running off to work. Just had a few bites of white rice, some beef with butter and a little Lindt 85%. I'm sipping a BPC now, which will keep me full at least, however my meal today could've been a whole lot more nutritious. Alas.

• weird. i wouldn't think the purple-ness would hurt the flavor, purple sweet potatoes are just as delicious as the orange ones...

edited August 2014

It's possible I just got a bad head of the stuff, but I'll be reticent to try it again in the future. The taste was sooo bad! My wife and I couldn't eat it, though surprisingly my 2 year old ate a few bites lol

So, I went out and bought a blender today. I don't have quite enough yet for the Vitamix I've been eyeing, however I bought a nicer blender that should get me through for the next month or so. It's an Oster Versa, 1100 watt model. It's a higher quality blender than the cheap piece of junk I had previously. I played around with it in the store and decided that it would suit my daily smoothie-making needs. As things stand, I don't always have time to cook and eat a lot of veggies. But I can't stand not getting more veggies, and I always feel loads better when I'm doing daily smoothies. I bought some avocados, spinach, cucumber and more. Can't wait to make one tomorrow! My only gripe about the blender is that it's got a pitcher made of Tritan plastic. Vitamix and Blendtec apparently both use Tritan as well, so I guess it's not a huge deal. I worry just a wee bit about extra leeching of plastics by stuff like MCT oil or Coconut milk in my smoothies, but I figure (and hope) that the benefit of the smoothies will outweigh the estrogenic aspect of the pitcher. I may even try making my BPC in the blender one of these days. I've always used a milk frother for my BPC, and have never had one out of the blender before. I hear it's much better.

I also stopped by the Vitamin Shoppe and picked up my supplements. More K2, some Mag citrate and Potassium citrate. I almost picked up another bottle of the Ubiquinol/PQQ supplement I've been taking, but decided not to. I haven't noticed much benefit in taking it, honestly. Perhaps I'm too young to reap its benefits at 26 years old, but yeah. Maybe I'll try it again in a few months; at like $50 for a month's supply, there are probably cheaper, more effective supplements I could try.

My diet has been almost 100% on-point ever since the birthday pizza I ate. I've had a few small slip-ups, but haven't had any wheat and, perhaps more importantly, haven't spiraled off into a junk-food binge. I've been much more productive and clear-headed as a result. Feels great to finally be Bulletproof again.

• Depending on the Oster model, it may work with another blender pitcher that they make.  If you find a cheaper blender with a glass pitcher (pretty sure they still make those) you might be able to use it with the more powerful base you just bought.  Plastic = gone.

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

edited August 2014

Made a smoothie today. It's so good to be able to do that again.

For my smoothie I used a serving of frozen, organic berries, a handful of spinach, an avocado, some raw, organic ginger powder, a can of coconut milk, an unripe banana and some ice. That'll make up the bulk of my carbs for the day. I know Dave advises that we avoid carbs in the morning, but I find that a bit difficult to manage on my schedule. The smoothie was delicious and the blender did a great job. Looking forward to trying some new things in the days to come! I packed some grassfed ground beef and a head of steamed broccoli for lunch today. Feeling sharp and well-fed.

• Hi D- late, but you can always file it away for the next time;

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/allergies-allergy

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the link. My allergies have actually improved over the past few days so that I'm just a little stuffy at present. Going to have to read through this so that I can better prepare myself for the future, though.

edited August 2014

Oh, kind of a random aside, but... have any of you ever had bacon first thing upon waking? Like, while you're still IN bed? I woke up the other day, somewhat groggy. I hadn't slept quite enough and was really dreading my approaching shift. Well, my wife was cooking bacon for my lunch, and brought a few slices in. In a tired stupor, I grabbed some, my head still on the pillow.

Bang! After my second strip of bacon, I felt completely awake and alert, as if I'd slept wonderfully. It was like a switch was flipped. I sat up in bed and scarfed down a bunch more bacon. I went to work pretty happy and energetic that day! I've never felt anything like it.

It's probably the sodium content. I assume it works sort of like the salt water in the morning that Dave has suggested. Except it's a lot more pleasant. Just thought I'd share. Breakfast in bed ain't a bad way to start your day, as long as it's bulletproof!

edited August 2014

I've been tracking my blood pressures a few times a week. They'd been a little high, and I was worried. I cut out all of the junk in my diet, adhered to BP-only foods and made sure to take my supplements daily. Also, I've tried not to get too stressed out about things and have been getting as much sleep as possible (though a few days this past week I only managed like 5 hours...).

Anyhow, I did 3 blood pressures about 2 minutes apart, and the highest was 132/81.

I'll take it! It's on the upper end of normal, but it's a pretty vast improvement. When I eat poorly or have high stress, they've been known to reach 140/90 or higher. Stimulants like caffeine and Nicotine only jack it up further. I expect that exercise will see it get a bit lower in the weeks to come. I think that the ginger I've been adding to my smoothies the past few days may be helping with the lowering of my BP. I've also been supplementing Magnesium and consuming more potassium in the form of avocados.

It's hilarious to me that my blood pressures have improved on a steady diet of beef, bacon and butter. Take THAT, conventional wisdom!

Today was an interesting day. Went to the grocery store and stocked up on smoothie ingredients. I also picked up a package of calf's liver on a whim. Before today, I'd never eaten liver. Wasn't sure what to expect.

It was conventional, unfortunately. I try to avoid CAFO meats these days since I can afford grass-fed most of the time. Haven't had any luck finding grass-fed offal at stores though, and I haven't found a solid local source of pastured meats, so I figured if I was ever going to pop my liver cherry, I'd have to go the CAFO route.

Looking at the liver thread on this forum, the most common reaction was something like: "Holy shit, liver is the most disgusting food ever." I'm a picky guy, so I didn't have high hopes. I had some ground beef at home, though, and figured I could cook them together.

I got home and here's what I did: I cooked 2 pounds of ground beef with some Kerrygold in a frying pan. Then, when the beef was almost cooked, I added half a pound of calf's liver, which I'd cut into tiny chunks. When everything was about cooked, I added some bacon (pre-cooked) and lots of salt and pepper. I ate it over rice and a few tablespoons of fresh cilantro (Cilantro and liver do not go together very well lol. Would not recommend this combo). I was really nervous to try it, and not a little grossed out. In a way, I feel like I understand how a vegetarian or vegan must feel when they decide to take up meat-eating. I've probably never turned my nose up at muscle meat before, however the minute I realized I was cooking an organ, I felt really apprehensive about eating it.

You know what? It wasn't bad! First off, I could hardly tell the difference between the ground beef and the liver by sight, and the butter/beef fat/bacon/salt and pepper really helped to mask its taste. When I did get some liver on its own, I found that the texture didn't disgust me like I feared it would. It was almost like a really tender cut of steak. It did have a slightly strange flavor that was hard to describe... gaminess, maybe? I dunno. But I managed to eat about a third of what I cooked. I'm going to store the rest in two separate dishes for easy reheats over the next two days. A half pound of liver spaced out over 3 days isn't too much, is it? I hope not lol. I'm probably pretty deficient in Retinol, seeing as how this is the first time I've ever eaten liver (or offal), so if I have it a few times this week, I'm hoping I don't end up ODing on copper or something. Might share it with my kids, too. They could use some offal in their lives, for sure! I wonder if they'll go for it.

One weird thing about the liver was that I found myself getting full really fast. Well, maybe full isn't the right word. Bored? Un-hungry? Disinterested? I don't know, exactly. Part of this was probably psychological (Whoa, dude, you're eating, like, an animal's liver right now... o_O), but about halfway into my bowl of food, I found I was rapidly losing interest. After a certain point, I just didn't want to eat any more of it. i finished it up nonetheless, and I feel fine. But it was strange. That usually doesn't happen when I do ground beef or bacon. The liver might have been really satiating. Or maybe I was just a bit freaked out at this new, weird food choice and I was psyching myself up somehow.

So, now I've got a finished book to edit. Going to enjoy a nice smoothie this morning and get some work done.

• A lot of good points, Drummin.

Lengthy reply ahead:

I don't like my job. I've worked it for about 7 years now, and the only reason I stay is because I can't really afford to leave it. It's not an awesome job and it doesn't really pay that much. It's comfortable to me because I've been here so long, and it's not a taxing job except for the fact that it's the graveyard shift. Like, literally, I just sit behind a desk for 8 hours a night, shuffle papers, answer phones and surf the Bulletproof forum till the sun comes up. But I've been crapping all over my Circadian rhythms for 7 years now... it's certainly not healthy, no.

Like I've said in other threads, I'm a writer, and I spend a lot of my time writing fiction. It's self-published, and I'm nearly to the point now where I'm making as much from my writing as I am from my day job every month. If I could quit my job and write full time, I could be more productive, get into a normal schedule and probably kick some ass. But it's not so simple; my two kids and my pregnant wife won't be too keen on my dumping the day job unless I can support them without any trouble. It's a big risk. And, you know, we've got bills and debts. A car bill, rent, insurance, school loans, etc, etc. And this Bulletproof thing isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world to maintain either, lol.

I feel like if I could just buckle down and hammer out a few big projects, I might be able to eclipse my day job income by a good margin and maybe cut down to part-time. I've considered using Modafinil for that purpose, but it's no miracle pill. It isn't just going to generate motivation where it doesn't already exist. So yeah. I'm kinda stuck at the moment. If not for this job, I could work from home, and could move pretty much anywhere. Getting out of Ohio would be pretty cool, lol.

But yeah. Ditching the job and getting into a proper sleep schedule is definitely on my list of things to do. I'd hoped to quit the job by August, but I haven't been productive enough and my sales took a slight hit. Alas. My next goal is to put in my two weeks by the end of October, when my wife gives birth. I have enough vacation time to take at least 6 weeks of paid paternity leave. Thinking that I may be able to quit after that if the book monies are substantial enough. But who knows? I guess I should just kick it into high gear and try to get as many debts paid down as I can. Some days it's hard to find the motivation, of course.

This guy could help motivate you. I am listening to his 67 step program now. If anything it will help you get in that extra hours of productivity a day. That could put you over the top after a while.

• @langdj, are you referring to Kai Lopez's program? I didn't see any link, but I'd heard him on Ben Greenfield's podcast recently and he talked 67 steps 

Haven't been posting much lately as I've been actually, like, doing things. Lol. Feels good to be productive!

Since I've been sticking to a more BP diet, my productivity and mood have been pretty good. I've been writing a lot the past week, and my sales have begun to recover. They'd taken a hit in the past month or two because I'd been lazier and unfocused. Now I seem to be back on track, which is a relief.

I did have some wheat yesterday, however I've yet to fall into a days-long binge like I used to. I like to think that I've made progress in that area, that I've turned a corner and put that tendency behind me. I don't know what's changed, really, but I hope I can keep that up into the future! Strange thing happened when I ate wheat yesterday, though. I found that my mouth and tongue felt a bit puffy, and within a few minutes of eating it, I developed a noticeable wheeze. It didn't interfere greatly with my breathing or anything, but my lungs felt temporarily soupy, like I had a chest cold. Made me cough for a little while. Really strange, and possibly a good deterrent for me in the future. I've never had those symptoms before. It happened within a few minutes of my eating a hamburger with a bun, and ended up fading fairy quickly. I'm thinking it could be some kind of allergic reaction, perhaps? I was a little perplexed, but as it went away within a half hour or so, I wasn't terribly concerned. It hasn't happened since, and after a BP coffee and some olives tonight, I almost feel back to my BP baseline, mentally.

Hope y'all are doing well!

• I've definitely noticed, or at least finally realized, more of a sensitivity to red zone items the more green zone I become. I used to eat bad carbs (pretzels, chips, chex mix, etc.) like crazy, and didn't notice any negative effects, aside from being hungry again an hour later. If I were to eat some of that stuff now, within 10 minutes I am feeling sluggish and regretting the decision to eat it.
  • Thought I'd hop back in here with a few additions:

Bacon

That's definitely the sodium giving you that feeling; It wakes you the HELL up when you add it to your morning. It's one of my secret weapons. Since bacon seems to be on the bad (but so good) side of the spectrum for the most part, I would try a glass of water and a half teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt. You probably won't get all the salt to mix in the water, so just keep adding water until it's almost entirely gone. This will give you a solid boost and should make you feel better as you go about your day.

Liver

I've never tried it plain, but dessicated liver in pill form is something that is great to use, and I think Dave talks about it a few times on his podcast. I know that Universal Nutrition makes a dessciated liver option, which might work well for you.

Eating Bad Food

I've had the same feeling, the longer you stay away from something the less you'll want it. Sure, you may fall back into a trap every now and then but it becomes much easier to get yourself out of that problem. I used to have a big issue with Diet Coke, and after not drinking it for 6 months it tastes awful when I have a sip. Start slowly eliminating bad foods and you'll feel the same thing (it sounds like you already are!)

Since it seems like we probably have similar triggers, one other one to watch out for is hangovers. When I'm hungover, anything goes, and it totally destroys my diet (and makes me feel awful). Be REALLY careful if you're hungover and eat an entire salad before you do anything else.

I'm subscribed now and will be starting my own thread soon. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!