A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Good suggestions, thanks!

You're right, eating bacon daily for the morning kick probably isn't the best idea. I don't have access to awesome, pastured bacon, so I should probably limit my consumption. I tried the salt water thing months and months ago and could hardly get it down, however now that I know the positive effects I think I may just have to bite the bullet and start doing it. I might down 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt while still in bed and chase it with a swig of water.

The liver is kind of a love/hate thing for me right now. Lol. My wife, surprisingly, LOVED it, though she's like 7 months pregnant so perhaps her body was simply jonesing for the nutrients within. When I smell it now it kind of bothers me, though I find that the taste isn't quite so bad that I can't eat it. It's very strange. The first time I ate it I was able to eat it with relative ease. Now? It's a bit of a struggle. I haven't bought anymore since we finished off that first package, but I should probably try eating at least 1/4th pound a week. The dessicated liver is something I've considered, but I seem to remember the price kind of warding me off. My financial situation has improved markedly this month however, so maybe it would be a good idea to try some out. It would save me a bit of grief at the dinner table, that's for sure!

Thankfully, I never was much of a drinker, so I don't have issues with hangovers. However, when I did drink, I loved craft beer and it would ALWAYS lead to an avalanche of bad dietary choices. I remember benig hungover in college and making lots of really terrible decisions, so I totally know what you mean.

Look forward to checking out your thread!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• have you tried the smothering-in-coconut flour thing with liver? getting into liver was a bit of a challenge for me but i'm acquiring a taste for it, and when i chop it into small pieces and shake it in a ziplock bag with a bunch of coconut flour and whatever herbs/flavorings i have handy it actually becomes pretty damn tasty. the coconut flour almost has a bit of a parmasean cheese texture/flavor that really makes it much more enoyable. 

I've got a bag of coconut flour in my cupboard. I might just have to try that!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• yeah, i actually have to thank one of my clients at work for the ziplock thing. when i tried it before i was making a huge mess by putting the flour in a bowl and trying to dip each piece in it that way, then the other day at work i got stuck working at a house i usually avoid with a bunch of guys who tend to have more behaviors, but the one good thing was i had to help one of them cook his dinner, and to my surprise this dude made me help him cook liver and onions. i was like "what? really? you eat liver?!". of course his wasn't grass fed and he just used regular flour with a bunch of super non-BP spices, but he obviously knew what he was doing to some extent, said he learned how to make it when he lived in louisiana. 

all i could think was "its shayke and bayke, n' ah heyulpt!" 

all i could think was "its shayke and bayke, n' ah heyulpt!" 

Lmao!

What kind of work were you doing there, where you have to help prepare a meal with someone?

• supporting people with developmental disabilities in Supported Community Living homes. i usually work at the same house with the same guys that i know pretty well, with new people coming and going occasionally, but sometimes i let myself get conned into working at other houses with people i know nothing about. i don't know if this dude really needed my help that much or if he was just playing the "i have a disability and you get paid to help me so i'm gonna make you do a bunch of shit for me" game. i bet just about any of the other staff would've shat their pants if they had to help some dude cook liver, but that was the highlight of my shift. the rest of it was spent trying to keep the dude from starting a fight with one of his housemates for no reason. 

I tried Upgraded Glutathione Force for the first time today.

I ordered some a day ago (hooray for 1-day shipping!) and picked it up before work today. I'd slept about 8 hours but didn't feel especially rested.

Sitting in the post office parking lot at about 9:30 PM, I ripped open the box and yanked a syringe from the package. I glanced around the parking lot, scanning the package furtively and toying with the little blue cap on the syringe.

I opened the thing, took a single serving to taste it... and then practically threw up in my mouth. The taste really is as bad as everyone says. I wasn't about to give up, though. My stomach was empty, though I did have an unopened water bottle with me. I proceeded to shoot the remainder of the syringe into my mouth, chasing it down with a single large swig of water. I hope that this didn't interfere too terribly with its absorption. I've read of other people chasing it with mineral water before. Next time, I intend to just fire the whole syringe into my mouth and choke it down. I hope to get used to the taste.

I feel good, however it's impossible for me to gauge how much of this is placebo, or perhaps an endorphin rush for having sucked the foul-tasting stuff down. My head feels clear, I feel generally "well", in a way that's hard to describe. Some of this is probably due to the BP coffee I drank nearly an hour afterward, which included 200mg of L-Theanine. I'll experiment with it further in the days to come.

How do you guys take your Glutathione? Do you stick to the dosage on the package or do you megadose on occasion? I was toying with the idea of taking a full syringe every 3-4 days until the package is gone, similar to what Jason Miller has mentioned doing in another post. My stress load tends to be fairly high on a regular basis due to my working full-time (on night shift). This, coupled with writing books and family life leaves me pretty drained. Not sure of the best protocol for me!

Haha, the smell and the cinnamon-esque aftertaste didn't bother me much, however the taste was like burnt rubber or something to me. Bleh!

Do you still just use the Glutathione every few months, mega-dosing it daily until it's gone?

I see. When you did use it, were there any noticeable benefits? I want to say I'm "feeling" something, but I don't know if it's simply placebo from taking a $60 supplement lol

• I don't take the Glutathione every day -- maybe a couple times a week now. In part to conserve an expensive supplement, and in part because I heard some speculation (don't know how true) about a product like that leading to downregulating the body's own production of glutathione if not cycled. Usually I try to take it if I've been exposed to more toxins, like on a day I cleaned the bathroom with noxious chemicals.

I don't take the Glutathione every day -- maybe a couple times a week now. In part to conserve an expensive supplement, and in part because I heard some speculation (don't know how true) about a product like that leading to downregulating the body's own production of glutathione if not cycled. Usually I try to take it if I've been exposed to more toxins, like on a day I cleaned the bathroom with noxious chemicals.

Yes, I've read about that as well. I've heard tell of some who use it 6 days a week, cycling off for one, and I believe I read something of Dave's stating that taking even 1 day off a week is good enough to avoid said downregulation. Nevertheless... I don't know who could possibly afford to take the stuff so often! It is hella expensive, that's for sure.

• Dave's supplements seem suited, if not geared, to those whose productivity directly affects their earnings. If you are self-employed or paid based on performance, and spending $1.50 a day on Glutathione makes you $10 a day more productive, it's a no brainer. Trying to quantify this type of thing would be a fascinating Quantified Self project -- if you could quantify how much income you average per 1,000 words of good content written, and then track whether you write more on days you take a particular supplement. I would guess that the best bang for the buck would be cheap nootropics like Piracetam or Noopept, but I'm just speculating.

edited September 2014

A few random thoughts:

- Un-ripe avocados suck. I threw a rock-hard avocado into my smoothie today and it made my stomach hurt. Won't be doing that again.

- The Glutathione still tastes hideous. For my second dose, I took half a syringe yesterday. Still made me gag.

- That new Apple watch looks HELLA cool. Not sure what it's going to retail for, but I already want one.

My wife is set to give birth in the last week of October. At my job, I've accrued a fair bit of vacation time, which I can use during a paternity leave. FMLA for paternity will allow me to take up to 12 weeks off of work. That's how long my employer will hold my job for. Anyhow, when the time comes I'll only have enough vacation time to pay for about 5 weeks of my leave. Nevertheless, I intend to stay off for the full 12-week period.

The plan is this: Write my ass off starting now, and make enough money through writing to quit my job by the end of my paternity leave. The 12 weeks will be a sort of dry-run for becoming a full-time novelist. In order for this to be feasible, I need to earn about $3000 a month. That'll cover all of my living expenses well enough. Right now I'm making between $800 and $1200 on average. I need to more than double my income from writing, and fast. This isn't impossible, but it's going to take a lot of work. Like, A LOT. $3000 needs to be my baseline moving forward, a benchmarker for a "slow" month. Ideally, I hope to earn at least 5K a month, or more. I have a few writer friends who fall into this pay grade. I'd like very much to join them.

My book income is enough to pay my rent and a few of my monthly bills already. I hope to take these 12 weeks off to spend time with my family, get to know the new baby and to write my ass off whenever I have the time. I'm going to crank out some lucrative erotic romance in the next few days/weeks to help get the ball rolling.

This is going to require a lot of focus and hard work. I want so badly to succeed at this and finally break free of my day job, so I need to approach this as efficiently as possible. As a bio-hacker. I've toyed with the idea of ordering some Modafinil for use during this time. It could give me the edge I need, possibly. While my wife is laid up, I'll be handling my sons and doing all of the shopping/housework/etc for a long while. No one in the house is going to be getting perfect sleep during this time, what with the new baby and all. And my writing time is going to be pretty tight; I'll have to make the most of it.

Any suggestions on how I might maximize my time (starting now) to move forward with this? Any hacks you can think of that might be useful? The BP diet/BP coffee and some basic nootropics (L-Theanine, Nicotine) are obvious hacks I may employ. Can anyone think of any others, however? To help further maximize my time/performance? I'm also considering starting another thread in the Wealth Hacking section, discussing how to earn a living at writing books, as well as asking about any ideas for alternative income streams.

"But what if you fail?" some of you may ask. "Will you just return to work?"

No. I won't fail.

On the subject of possible failure, I'm reminded of Napoleon Hill, whose book Think and Grow Rich advises that one go into any endeavor without even the slightest thought of failure. Failure is an impossibility for a man who wants something badly enough; you set your goals firmly in mind and pursue them with ferocity until you've succeeded. It isn't the first time I've written of this here. My previous efforts were pretty weak. I didn't want it badly enough. But this paternity leave is a golden opportunity. It's my chance to walk away from that life and to pursue something that's been a life-long aspiration.

BEAST-MODE ENGAGED.

Share with me your favorite hacks, all. Whether they be related to productivity or not.

• I don't know how you make your writing money (sorry if you already said it and I forgot), whether it's self-publishing or if you have a publisher or publications or what. But what occurs to me is that maybe it would be a more effective force multiplier to hack your marketing than to increase your writing output. It might be easier to double your readership, and have the same output, instead of typing twice as fast or taking shorter breaks (all of which could lead to burnout.)

Speaking as someone who has suffered from debilitating wrist pain in the past, I'd suggest that if you are focused on upping your typing productivity, to do some nerve glides for the ulnar and medial nerve that run through the wrist (a Google search on those keywords will yield some articles and Youtube videos.) A little bit of prevention and body maintenance can go a long way.

Those are good points!

I'm a self-publisher, and do have some advertising strategies. I have a subscriber list of more than 500, which is growing nicely, and have utilized advertising services. I plan to run some promo this month and to mobilize my subscribers in the next 2 days with the launch of a new piece. Ideally, I guess I'd up my amount of product AND do more efficient promotion, though your comment has reminded me to look into ways to improve my marketing.

Also, you're right about the wrist pains. I write in bursts, to help keep the wear on my joints to a minimum, and have started utilizing a makeshift standing workstation that's more ergonomic than my old set-up. I've done some stretches in the past, and will look into the nerve glides. Thanks!

• Have you ever used voice dictation software? I've used Dragon Dictate for ages. It's a mind-f*** at first to speak instead of type to write something. . .it's like using a different part of your brain. I've had self-consciousness come up sometimes when dictating, which interrupts the creative process. But when it's flowing, it flows. Most people can talk 2-3 times faster than they can write. So if you can make your brain adapt to speaking instead of typing, voice dictation is potentially a game changer.

Look at successful writers who do innovative marketing strategies -- not the run of the mill stuff -- and see what you would like to try to adopt. One example of an innovative strategy that comes to mind for me is Scott Sigler, who was interviewed on the Joe Rogan podcast. A quote from Scott's website [ http://scottsigler.com/about/ ]

"Before he was published, Scott built a large online following by giving away his self-recorded audiobooks as free, serialized podcasts. His loyal fans, who named themselves “Junkies,” have downloaded over thirty million individual episodes of his stories and interact daily with Scott and each other in the social media space."

Just an idea to get the ball rolling. I do think marketing is the way to go. Think of it this way -- there will be a saturation point at which would can't get more income per fan or mailing list reader. Either they won't have more money in their reading budget, or they won't have enough free time to read as fast as you write. But increasing your readership size will help create a margin of safety so that you are getting income even during periods of less writing output.

It could also be a decent idea to work with the natural rhythms of the ebb and flow of your creative writing output. When the creativity is flowing, write and don't interrupt or distract from the flow by working on marketing. When you're in a writing dry spell, put your energies into marketing. Ultimately you are the expert on your creative process, so do what works for you.

There is some good info on the Internet about marketing and getting traffic to websites. The Smart Passive Income Podcast and website by Pat Flynn has some really good information, from a guy who made an income from self-publishing a study guide for an architecture exam.

Never tried dictation software, but I know a few people who do. They swear by it.

Lots to think about here. Appreciate the lengthy reply!

• Say Demon, I remember you saying you eat only one meal a day. Is this correct, and if so what does a meal like that contain?

I want to try it for a while to see if it helps me.

edited September 2014

Say Demon, I remember you saying you eat only one meal a day. Is this correct, and if so what does a meal like that contain?

I want to try it for a while to see if it helps me.

Whenever I do IF, I only tend to eat one meal a day, yes. I like eating a lot, and really enjoy the feeling of satiety from a large meal. This, combined with the convenience of only preparing a single meal a day, makes it worth it to me.

I'll often start by making a cup of BP coffee. While I sip at that, I'll take my morning supplements and prepare my meal.

A meal will often look like:

1 lb of grassfed ground beef with loads of Kerrygold and salt

1 head of broccoli with kerrygold

A cup or two of white rice (for carb refeeds)

A handful of olives

A few squares of Lindt 85% for dessert

This is a common example, though sometimes I'll do steak, or mashed cauliflower or whatever. I prefer making simpler things like steamed broccoli and ground beef when I'm busy. On slower days I'll make salmon or stew or something like that. I also tend to make a second BP coffee in my thermos while my food cooks, so I can take it to work with me. This tends to cover most of my calories for the day, and ensures I'll be full (and caffeinated) for my night shift job.

Recently I've deviated from this a little; I still start with a bulletproof coffee and eat a large meal, however I also make a large smoothie each day. This helps me get more veggies in and keeps me fuller for longer. It also leaves me really stuffed, so I have to fit in some BP snacks a little later in the day. These days I'll eat my large meal, drink my smoothie, prep a BP coffee for work and then pack along a few things I can munch on later without hassle; a can of sardines, some Lindt or nuts. Maybe some olives. I've expanded my feeding window by a few hours, so I still eat the bulk of my food in a single sitting, but take small bulletproof snacks with me to work. Works pretty well for me, all things considered. I still get to feast and enjoy that nice, full feeling, but I also save a lot of time on cooking. I feel like it's a pretty efficient way to do things if you enjoy eating in large quantities and you're pressed for time.

• As a side note, where can one find out more about your books? I don't know if you've mentioned it before, but I'd be interested in checking out your stuff.

• Whenever I do IF, I only tend to eat one meal a day, yes. I like eating a lot, and really enjoy the feeling of satiety from a large meal. This, combined with the convenience of only preparing a single meal a day, makes it worth it to me.

I'll often start by making a cup of BP coffee. While I sip at that, I'll take my morning supplements and prepare my meal.

A meal will often look like:

1 lb of grassfed ground beef with loads of Kerrygold and salt

1 head of broccoli with kerrygold

A cup or two of white rice (for carb refeeds)

A handful of olives

A few squares of Lindt 85% for dessert

-

Thanks, this will fit in nicely with what I'm already eating.

edited September 2014

As a side note, where can one find out more about your books? I don't know if you've mentioned it before, but I'd be interested in checking out your stuff.

:oops:  :oops:

I feel like a chump, talking about writing all the time and not actually sharing my books lol. Historically, I haven't shared my pen names for various reasons. I've had a few people ask, and may share in the future, though. Most of my stuff-- at least, the stuff that sells-- is erotic/paranormal romance. I've written some horror and science fiction, but their sales are less substantial.

edited September 2014

Update:

I just can't eat liver anymore. Can't. Do. It. I had some today, cooked in ground beef, but I couldn't stand the taste/texture and ended up having to walk away. My first experience with it went well, but I find the taste and smell just nauseating at this point. I don't know what's changed. The thought of eating more of it makes me cringe!

I'm going to be looking into dessicated liver.

• doug-liver-and-onions.jpgAll I think about when I read liver threads.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

did you try the coconut flour thing? chopped into small pieces? 

Nope. I meant to, but I just can't bring myself to even buy more of the stuff! The liver I've been buying is conventional anyhow, so I'd probably be better served by a grassfed supplement.

• for what its worth, after my first go at liver i was really considering trying supplement route. i listened to a podcast by ben greenfield that made me think twice about it....and also ran out of meat and realized that grass fed liver was cheaper than any other grass fed meat at the store i shop at. i did the "chop into little pieces and coat in coconut flour" trick and the liver-y flavor was hardly there at all. i think doing that helped my brain/mouth sort of get over the gross-out aspect and now even without the flour it really isn't too bad...the chopping up into small pieces is still important though. 

All right... it might be worth a shot. Later this week I'll buy another package of the stuff and I'll report back. I found a decent source of grassfed dessicated liver on Amazon in case this doesn't work out lol.

Just curious, drummin-- how often do you eat liver, and how much of it do you eat?

• :oops:  :oops:

I feel like a chump, talking about writing all the time and not actually sharing my books lol. Historically, I haven't shared my pen names for various reasons. I've had a few people ask, and may share in the future, though. Most of my stuff-- at least, the stuff that sells-- is erotic/paranormal romance. I've written some horror and science fiction, but their sales are less substantial.

I understand. Maybe PM me your stuff? That way it is not out in public, but I can still check it out?

• i've been getting a pound of liver every 2-3 weeks, and usually eat about 4-5 ounces at a time, so i'll go through a pound in 3-4 days when i buy it. i still don't love it as much as muscle meat, but definitely don't have the "oh wow, this is fucking nuts" reaction that i had when first tried it a few months ago. i think its really just a psychological thing of not being exposed to it enough. i had the same issue with sardines when i first tried 'em, now i eat them all the time. 

i dunno about the dessicated thing...i think the fresher anything is the more nutrients it will have and the more your body will be able to absorb it. plus i would think determining a doseage of dessicated liver would really be a shot in the dark.