A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• The plan is this: Write my ass off starting now, and make enough money through writing to quit my job by the end of my paternity leave. The 12 weeks will be a sort of dry-run for becoming a full-time novelist. In order for this to be feasible, I need to earn about $3000 a month. That'll cover all of my living expenses well enough. Right now I'm making between $800 and $1200 on average. I need to more than double my income from writing, and fast. This isn't impossible, but it's going to take a lot of work. Like, A LOT. $3000 needs to be my baseline moving forward, a benchmarker for a "slow" month. Ideally, I hope to earn at least 5K a month, or more. I have a few writer friends who fall into this pay grade. I'd like very much to join them.

My book income is enough to pay my rent and a few of my monthly bills already. I hope to take these 12 weeks off to spend time with my family, get to know the new baby and to write my ass off whenever I have the time. I'm going to crank out some lucrative erotic romance in the next few days/weeks to help get the ball rolling.

This is going to require a lot of focus and hard work. I want so badly to succeed at this and finally break free of my day job, so I need to approach this as efficiently as possible. As a bio-hacker. I've toyed with the idea of ordering some Modafinil for use during this time. It could give me the edge I need, possibly. While my wife is laid up, I'll be handling my sons and doing all of the shopping/housework/etc for a long while. No one in the house is going to be getting perfect sleep during this time, what with the new baby and all. And my writing time is going to be pretty tight; I'll have to make the most of it.

Any suggestions on how I might maximize my time (starting now) to move forward with this? Any hacks you can think of that might be useful? The BP diet/BP coffee and some basic nootropics (L-Theanine, Nicotine) are obvious hacks I may employ. Can anyone think of any others, however? To help further maximize my time/performance? I'm also considering starting another thread in the Wealth Hacking section, discussing how to earn a living at writing books, as well as asking about any ideas for alternative income streams.

I don't have writing hacks. The times when I've been especially productive writing (in college) was just having an outline, being on a serious deadline, and staying up late. 

But I'm curious about your marketing and sales strategy, because you may be able to get more out of the work you do. At a marketing agency I used to work for we had a client that sold erotic romance. I wasn't very involved in that account, but I knew the basics. It's a tough space, but makes a lot of money if you find success. 

So, for both the erotic stuff and the regular...

- Have you done an 80/20 analysis on which titles / subjects / genres make you the most money? 

- Have you experimented, or considered experimenting with pricing? If you can sell 60% the volume at double the price, you've made yourself more money. Or triple the volume at half the price. 

- Have you considered splitting stories up? If you can turn a $5 book into three $2 novellas, you make more money... assuming you hook the reader into reading all 3. Didn't Dickens get paid by the page or word or something since all his work was originally serialized?

- Have you looked at reader "stickiness" across books? I'd imagine you use a pseudonym for the erotic stuff, but either way, are you getting people who come back for all your books? If yes, can you put something in at the end in the "about the author" that asks them to share with their friends? If not, any guesses why? 

- How about formats? Are you missing out on some segment of the reading population by not publishing in all available formats? This could be bigger for erotic fiction - this genre exploded with e-readers, so people could read in public without the racy covers appearing visibly. But if you're not reaching all e-readers...

- Can you do interviews on fiction blogs? If you can get access to your readers' names, perhaps you could cross-reference with fiction blogs. 

- I'm sure there are other business hacks

Don't just throw effort at the problem of putting words on pages (even though I'm sure that's your passion over the business end) without making sure you're getting the most out of your effort. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

If anyone wants to know more about my writing, just hit me up with a PM. I suppose there's no harm in sharing. I don't want to spam the forum with links or anything though lol.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I just think it is cool to see the real life success of fellow members. :-)

Thank you for the detailed post, ACH85! A lot of great stuff in there.

I write to an outline most of the time, which helps to speed up the writing process. I've incorporated most of your suggestions already (interviews, including back-matter, serialization) but will look into the rest as well. Thanks!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Have you ever tried dictating instead of writing? It might speed your writing up once you get the hang of it. Also, what about editing? How are you doing that now?

Have you ever tried dictating instead of writing? It might speed your writing up once you get the hang of it. Also, what about editing? How are you doing that now?

I haven't tried dictating, though someone upthread suggested giving it a try. I know a few writers who've had success with dictation software.

Editing? I write pretty clean drafts, self-edit them, and then send them to my beta reader who has a keen eye. That's all. Never had any complaints in that regard. That isn't to say that my stories are 100% perfect, either lol. Many writers won't publish without a professional edit. In my case (for now anyway) it simply doesn't make financial sense to throw money at an editor.

Things are going well. I finished out the month with a pretty dramatic increase in sales. I've released several new stories under different pen names and also booked some surprisingly effective advertising. Things were a little shaky in early-to-mid September, however I'm pleased with how the month's turned out.

I'm going to turn things up a notch for October. More new releases, more targeted advertising-- I hope to triple my September earnings, at least.

Wife is getting close to her due date. My leave of absence is looming. Getting nervous and excited at all of the big changes coming my way.

I've been experimenting with a few things. I picked up some Unfair Advantage on pre-order. Taking the stuff, it isn't doing a whole lot for me. I placed an order just today for some Upgraded Collagen, a sleep induction mat, a bottle of Ciltep and a Bulletproof T-shirt. Looking forward to that shipment coming in (also: hell yes, free shipping!). I also ordered some Aniracetam. Really looking forward to trying that. I placed an order for some more MCT oil and I've got some Primal Pit Paste (natural deodorant) on the way as well.

Let's see if some nootropics can't help me get to the next level. I suspect they'll be especially helpful on days when I'm on my leave of absence and a bit sleep-deprived due to the new baby. It'll be an interesting experiment, at the very least!

• Glad to hear things are going well. Curious what the surprisingly effective advertising was? In my aforementioned brief work on erotic romance, we had a lot of trouble driving sales to a website using paid ads, but I think it would have been easier if it was for a single author (rather than a publisher) and on Amazon, not a website. So I'm just curious to know what worked. 

Glad to hear things are going well. Curious what the surprisingly effective advertising was? In my aforementioned brief work on erotic romance, we had a lot of trouble driving sales to a website using paid ads, but I think it would have been easier if it was for a single author (rather than a publisher) and on Amazon, not a website. So I'm just curious to know what worked. 

In this instance, I was advertising a 3-part serialized novel. I got the first installment price-matched to free on Amazon so that it could act as a loss-leader. Then I informed my nearly 600 subscribers that it was free and I paid for a couple of ads that have been effective in the genre. The boost from the mailing list and ad drove the freebie into the top 100 free books on all of Amazon. That's a pretty good level of visibility. I think I got to #60 or so before it began to slide. Sales of the subsequent 2 volumes (priced 99 cents and $2.99) sold a ton of copies as a result.

So did have you written me into the scene where I watch you kill your neighbor yet? It could be erotica to some weirdo.

LOL. I think there's probably a market for this.

• The plan is this: Write my ass off starting now, and make enough money through writing to quit my job by the end of my paternity leave. The 12 weeks will be a sort of dry-run for becoming a full-time novelist. In order for this to be feasible, I need to earn about $3000 a month. That'll cover all of my living expenses well enough. Right now I'm making between $800 and $1200 on average. I need to more than double my income from writing, and fast. This isn't impossible, but it's going to take a lot of work. Like, A LOT. $3000 needs to be my baseline moving forward, a benchmarker for a "slow" month. Ideally, I hope to earn at least 5K a month, or more. I have a few writer friends who fall into this pay grade. I'd like very much to join them.

My book income is enough to pay my rent and a few of my monthly bills already. I hope to take these 12 weeks off to spend time with my family, get to know the new baby and to write my ass off whenever I have the time. I'm going to crank out some lucrative erotic romance in the next few days/weeks to help get the ball rolling.

This is going to require a lot of focus and hard work. I want so badly to succeed at this and finally break free of my day job, so I need to approach this as efficiently as possible. As a bio-hacker. I've toyed with the idea of ordering some Modafinil for use during this time. It could give me the edge I need, possibly. While my wife is laid up, I'll be handling my sons and doing all of the shopping/housework/etc for a long while. No one in the house is going to be getting perfect sleep during this time, what with the new baby and all. And my writing time is going to be pretty tight; I'll have to make the most of it.

Any suggestions on how I might maximize my time (starting now) to move forward with this? Any hacks you can think of that might be useful? The BP diet/BP coffee and some basic nootropics (L-Theanine, Nicotine) are obvious hacks I may employ. Can anyone think of any others, however? To help further maximize my time/performance? I'm also considering starting another thread in the Wealth Hacking section, discussing how to earn a living at writing books, as well as asking about any ideas for alternative income streams.

"But what if you fail?" some of you may ask. "Will you just return to work?"

No. I won't fail.

On the subject of possible failure, I'm reminded of Napoleon Hill, whose book Think and Grow Rich advises that one go into any endeavor without even the slightest thought of failure. Failure is an impossibility for a man who wants something badly enough; you set your goals firmly in mind and pursue them with ferocity until you've succeeded. It isn't the first time I've written of this here. My previous efforts were pretty weak. I didn't want it badly enough. But this paternity leave is a golden opportunity. It's my chance to walk away from that life and to pursue something that's been a life-long aspiration.

BEAST-MODE ENGAGED.

Share with me your favorite hacks, all. Whether they be related to productivity or not.

I'm a business consultant and writer myself; specifically writing sales copy. Not the same as fiction, but sharing many aspects. I was originally just a writer, however, and made the transition you speak of myself in order to fund my desired lifestyle of traveling full-time without any location-dependence. But to be honest, I think business advice is more what would help you here, though.

Specifically, what is your business model? I ask so I might offer advice on improving it. Simply cranking out more novels may not be what will make you the most money in the least time.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

My business model is kind of specious, I admit.

All of the successful fiction writers I know, the ones who make 5 figures + a month from their work, make it a volume game. They produce as much (quality) content as possible and then advertise strategically to maximize financial gains and visibility. I've been emulating them to the best of my ability. This has been working for me, though I don't doubt that it could be improved on. I have found that building up my backlist of available titles helps to maximize the efficacy of any paid advertising. I've fine-tuned my releases to take advantage of the retailer algorithms and keyword results, and I've also amassed a small list of effective advertisers for my preferred genres.

As far as earnings go, I'll need to pay down debts first and foremost. In the future, I'd like to diversify my income streams, perhaps by investing some of my earnings elsewhere. But yeah, I'm not sure that I've got what one might call a "business plan", haha.

edited October 2014

Brief post about recent goings-on.

My wife seems about ready to pop. If she delivers much before her due date, it's going to make it hard for me to follow through with my plan! Either way, I've been working hard, both at my writing and at my day job, for the past few weeks.

I haven't been eating naughty foods much. My wife was craving Panera today, so I took her out for a sandwich (I'm a terrible enabler, I know). While she and the kids munched, I enjoyed my thermos of cold brew coffee. Ordinarily I would have caved and ordered something there, but honestly? It didn't even smell good to me. Last time I ate junk it ruined my sleep and I felt like a zombie for much of the day.

Things I want to improve on:

--Sleep. My sleep has been spotty the last few days. I haven't been getting enough of it, and what I have been getting isn't of the greatest quality. I think I may need to take it easy with the caffeine; I've been drinking a lot of tea and coffee and munching on the odd bit of Lindt here and there.

--Walking/Exercise/movement. I want to maintain a higher activity level, and I think that the FitBit is going to help me to this end. Gotta stay active! I also keep meaning to start Body By Science. I just haven't been able to carve out the time. Any time I decide to go for it, I realize I won't have great sleep due to some responsibility or another. Need to fit that in somewhere. I've put it off for too long.

--Routine. I need to hammer out a solid routine so that I won't be left flailing once my leave of absence begins. This includes supplementation, and I need to determine when to take my various supplements and in what quantities.

•  

--Walking/Exercise/movement. I want to maintain a higher activity level, and I think that the FitBit is going to help me to this end. Gotta stay active! I also keep meaning to start Body By Science. I just haven't been able to carve out the time. Any time I decide to go for it, I realize I won't have great sleep due to some responsibility or another. Need to fit that in somewhere. I've put it off for too long.

I'm with you. I sit on my butt at work pretty much all day Monday-Friday. I do better on the weekends, but am still busy with kids and family stuff. I already wake up at 5:30 AM Monday-Friday. Don't want to go to bed much later than 10:00 PM. 

I know, excuses, excuses. I need to exercise. I just don't know where I can fit it in.

• For helping you with your routine, you may consider making a checklist in an excel spreadsheet (or the free libre office calc). Make one column the "done" column, and the one next to it where you write the task. You can just make a template then clone it each day and simply follow the check boxes.

This is a great way to keep track of your routine and your doses.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

Warning: Talkin' 'bout poop in this post:

For the past 24 hours I've been pretty ill. I think it's food poisoning after an ill-advised cheat meal (as discussed in the poop thread). It serves me right, but I'll be damned if a cheat has ever wrecked me quite like this.

Only now is my normal digestive function showing signs of a sluggish revival. I puked once and must have used the bathroom about 8 or 10 times yesterday, till I was simply crapping bile acid. A terrible waste of a day. I've been munching rice cakes for the past hour or so and sipping on coconut water. I also slept a fair amount, which seems to have helped. My stomach is still growling and making weird-ass noises, but I'm no longer filling the toilet bowl every hour. Dare I say, I may even be digesting the rice cakes! How exciting. I'm sort of craving grass fed beef and BP coffee right now, but I think I should probably give myself a day or so to recover before smashing a bunch of BP foods that might be tough to digest.

Ugggghhhhhh.

The gastrointestinal saga continues...

Yesterday was a good day, digestion-wise. Today's been a little rocky. I suspect a few different changes may have incited this small bout of watery stools. This morning, some 30 minutes before bed, I chugged my veggie smoothie. It included a tablespoon of collagen powder. I also took my magnesium supplements along with it, which can act as a laxative in my experience. Upon waking I took CILTEP, then a half hour later I downed a BP coffee and ate some beef and broccoli. Shortly thereafter, I shat water.

After my illness a few days ago, I don't imagine my digestion is working at 100%, and I probably still need to recover a little. Sleeping on the smoothie may not have been a great idea, either. Anytime my stomach makes even a benign-sounding gurgle, I can't help but get a little paranoid, however. Gall bladder troubles or IBS-- though probably not the culprits-- are things I'm keen to avoid, and I worry, perhaps irrationally, that something might be wrong.

The CILTEP, being new, may have upset my tummy. Drinking the smoothie so close to bed may have interrupted my digestion as well. The Collagen is also new to me, so it might've messed me up. There are so many variables here that I need to work on isolating them. I'm recording each day's supplementation and schedule so that I can figure out what's going to work best for me.

The sleep-induction mat is the real deal! It's my third time using it, and I end up falling asleep on the thing every time! It only takes me 10 or 20 minutes, and then I wake up a good deal later, realizing I've still got the thing underneath me. My back burns like fire when I go to roll off of it lol. The collagen in my smoothie didn't help me sleep any better, but maybe it would have worked better (and been easier on my tummy) if I'd dissolved it in a hot beverage?

Not feeling any sort of noticeable boost from the CILTEP, but then I suppose I haven't actually had an opportunity yet today to do any real work. The effects are said to last 8-14 hours, so I should get a chance to put it to the test yet! I tossed 100mg of L-Theanine into my BPC today as well, since I'd heard it stacks well with CILTEP. Feeling pretty good, save for my slightly upset stomach.

• I freakin' love Ciltep. . . .it has the most noticeable impact of any nootropic I've experimented with (I haven't used modafinil). Since it's fairly pricey (compared to piracetam, L-theanine, alpha-GPC, etc.), I don't use it everyday, but save it for special occasions like interviews or giving speeches. For me, the most noticed effect is improved fluency of speech -- not having to search for words, feeling more talkative and extroverted, answering difficult questions.)

I always enjoy reading your updates on here.

edited October 2014

OK, so digestion seems to be functioning well and I'm feeling pretty good overall!

I've started incorporating the collagen into my BP coffees and smoothies. I can't say that it helps me sleep any better, and I've only been using it a few days, so I haven't noticed much in the way of improved skin. I'm not getting collagen anywhere else however, so I figure it can't hurt to supplement with a tablespoon or two per day.

I'll be picking up my selenium supplement from the post office in the morning. I went with the Life Extensions complex. I've been taking 225 mcg of NOW potassium iodide with meals for the past few days, and intend to use the selenium along with it once or twice a week. I'm really wary of OD'ing, but they're important nutrients that I'm probably not getting enough of through diet. I figure that this way, I'll hopefully reap some benefits and not overdo it. Based on everything I've read, I think that the safest path will be for me to very gradually work my way up to 1mg of iodine daily, and keep the selenium to 200-400mcg a week. If anyone else is doing something different or has any advice, let me know! I hope to someday spring for the Spectracell micronutrient test, but that's not in the cards right now. I know it's always better to test, rather than guess. Thus I want to keep the doses low and (hopefully) safe.

I've switched to decaf coffee. I really feel like my adrenals need a rest. I seem to be a bit hypothyroid, thus the renewed interest in iodine and selenium supplementation, and I figure that supporting my adrenals will help to bolster my thyroid function. I can't afford the decaf BP beans, however I found a decent source that uses the Swiss Water Process, so it's solvent-free, at least. The mycotoxin thing has never been a concern of mine. It doesn't taste quite as rich as regular coffee, but it makes a great vehicle for collagen, MCT oil and Kerrygold, so it suits my needs.

I've been using the sleep induction mat every morning before bed. It works too well, haha. It's so strange, finding myself drifting off on a bed of spikes like that. I've stood on the thing, too. Makes me feel pretty hardcore lol.

Took some Aniracetam today with my meal, and I'm feeling quite clear-headed. Tomorrow I'll be trying out CILTEP again. Hoping for a more noticeable boost.

• I'll be picking up my selenium supplement from the post office in the morning. I went with the Life Extensions complex. I've been taking 225 mcg of NOW potassium iodide with meals for the past few days, and intend to use the selenium along with it once or twice a week. I'm really wary of OD'ing, but they're important nutrients that I'm probably not getting enough of through diet. I figure that this way, I'll hopefully reap some benefits and not overdo it. Based on everything I've read, I think that the safest path will be for me to very gradually work my way up to 1mg of iodine daily, and keep the selenium to 200-400mcg a week. 

I follow the Dave-recommended 200mcg/day for selenium, which is conveniently what is in Life Extension super selenium. Never had an issue. I'd be wary of the occasional 400mcg dose though, I know Tim Ferriss overdid it with brazil nuts and got gross acne out of the blue. A lot of people have said to slowly ramp up with iodine. I don't disbelieve them, but before I knew what I was doing I just jumped into it at 675mcg-1mg/day and... didn't notice anything. So hopefully that alleviates some fears about overdoing it with either supp. 

I don't know what happened today, but I slept like shit. It took me forever to get to sleep. I used my mat, which put me out like usual, however my wife woke me up when she realized I'd fallen asleep on it. After that, it took me almost 2 hours to get back to sleep. My schedule sucks a fat one right now, so I ended up sleeping till almost 6 PM-- the absolute latest I could sleep without being late for work. My shift starts at 7... so I only had enough time to whip up an extra big BP coffee and run out the door. I don't know what could have kept me awake; I was pretty tired and have been avoiding caffeine. It sucked, though.

I threw a tablespoon of collagen in my BPC, but it looks like that's only 7 grams of protein. So I guess that makes today a protein fast?

Whatever.

• I don't know if there's any harm to falling asleep on the mat and staying on it. I always fall asleep on mine and when I wake up in the morning it's beside the bed. I'm assuming that I roll aside and push it to the floor in my sleep. Or maybe it's a visit from the Bulletproof Fairy or alien abduction though.

• What Papa Asprey don't know won't hurt him! Lol

Giggle-snort.

Haven't been posting too much lately. Been kinda busy for the last week.

So, Phenylpiracetam is pretty cool. I took some yesterday with Aniracetam and felt really clearheaded for about 8 hours. I plan to use it once a week or so. I may also try stacking it with CILTEP.

Still waiting on that baby. Wife's due date is fast approaching. Only about 5 days to go now. I'm hoping that she manages to hold up till November 1st, but there's no telling when she'll go into labor.

Went grocery shopping today and stumbled upon a cache of grassfed ground beef on super sale. Bought like 10 pounds of the stuff for $40! It would usually have cost me twice that.

I've been trying to keep up with my daily walking, aiming for at least 10,000 steps. It's been going OK. Experimenting with standing more at work as well.

The book stuff is going all right, but the space opera I'm working on is taking FOREVER to write. I'll be lucky if it's done before my wife gives birth, which means my earnings will be taking a hit. Ah well. :/

• edited October 2014

Haven't been posting too much lately. Been kinda busy for the last week.

So, Phenylpiracetam is pretty cool. I took some yesterday with Aniracetam and felt really clearheaded for about 8 hours. I plan to use it once a week or so. I may also try stacking it with CILTEP.

Still waiting on that baby. Wife's due date is fast approaching. Only about 5 days to go now. I'm hoping that she manages to hold up till November 1st, but there's no telling when she'll go into labor.

Went grocery shopping today and stumbled upon a cache of grassfed ground beef on super sale. Bought like 10 pounds of the stuff for $40! It would usually have cost me twice that.

I've been trying to keep up with my daily walking, aiming for at least 10,000 steps. It's been going OK. Experimenting with standing more at work as well.

The book stuff is going all right, but the space opera I'm working on is taking FOREVER to write. I'll be lucky if it's done before my wife gives birth, which means my earnings will be taking a hit. Ah well. :/

I take Zembrin CILTEP + Oxiracetam + Aniracetam + phenylpiracetam + Caffeine + L-theanine a few days a week. God mode. Highly recommended~

Notably, as a writer, it may be more crucial for you to find the right balance. Probably in the form of throwing in more aniracetam than usual. Just phenyl itself or especially if i mix oxi in, I compeltely lose my ability to produce right brain thought. Or at least that's the simplest way to describe it. It actually makes certain parts of the writing process worse. But it also makes it easier via improved motivation so there is a balance to be found. Worth experimenting to finding the right dose.

I take Zembrin CILTEP + Oxiracetam + Aniracetam + phenylpiracetam + Caffeine + L-theanine a few days a week. God mode. Highly recommended~

Notably, as a writer, it may be more crucial for you to find the right balance. Probably in the form of throwing in more aniracetam than usual. Just phenyl itself or especially if i mix oxi in, I compeltely lose my ability to produce right brain thought. Or at least that's the simplest way to describe it. It actually makes certain parts of the writing process worse. But it also makes it easier via improved motivation so there is a balance to be found. Worth experimenting to finding the right dose.

Thanks! That looks like a potent stack. I might have to do some experimentation, then...!

edited October 2014

Wife gave birth yesterday afternoon to a big, healthy baby girl. About 8 pounds and 20 inches long. It all happened pretty fast; her water broke, and then less than 10 minutes later, a baby appeared. lol

Things are about to get crazy busy!

• Congratulations!  What an exciting time for you and your family!

• Dude! Congrats! I was wondering when it would happen. Time to walk 10,000 steps holding a newborn! ;-)

• Congrats, man! That's super exciting!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Congratulations, thats great!