A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Thanks, all!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Been a while since I've updated, but things are going pretty well.

Wife and new baby are doing great. My daughter's cute as a button and sleeps pretty soundly through most of the night. My eldest son (almost 4 years old) broke his foot jumping off of the sofa a while back, so we've had to tend to his needs a bit more than normal. He's got a cast on and he can walk on it, but it's been an added challenge during an already chaotic time. He's doing pretty well considering and will have the cast removed before Thanksgiving.

Halloween saw me fall off the cart a few times, indulging in the abundance of candy and whatnot. Drinking a green smoothie as I write this and feeling quite good now, though. I've been too lazy to get my daily walking in, too, but plan to change that starting today.

My writing has been slow, but I'm poised now to make some awesome progress, provided that no other curveballs get thrown my way. Working on a horror novel I've been wanting to write for some time before getting back to the romances. Enjoying it a lot!

And can I just say it feels AWESOME to sleep at night like a normal person? I usually work night shift, but now that I'm on leave I've been getting to bed around 10 or 11 PM and waking naturally, without an alarm, by 7 or 8 in the morning. I feel more refreshed than I did sleeping during the day, too.

Hope you're all well!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

edited November 2014

Here's a picture of the little nugget sitting in her brother's beanbag chair for a quick photo op :3

DSC001643_zpsd996a86f.jpg

• Greg CarletGreg Carlet ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how things were going. Glad to hear all is well, and that you will get back to challenging me in the walking department too. :wink:

P.S. I, too, tried some of my kids' candy this past Saturday. I felt completely disgusting about 15 minutes later. I am not tempted to eat any more at all. I also told them that they had a week to eat it, and after that I am throwing it away. :smile:

I wish I could say the same! The nasty sugar rush didn't deter me from shoveling in Reese's PB Cups and various sour gummy treats. Felt like death the next day, though. My wife thought it might be a good idea to check out the local grocers and see what super-discounted Halloween candy they still had in stock. I vetoed that one pretty quick lol.

• Perhaps Lindt extra dark lindor truffles for your Halloween candy fix? They're only 60% dark, but probably a lot better than peanut butter cups. 

60-Extra-Dark-Chocolate-LINDOR-Truffles-60-Extra-Dark-Chocolate-LINDOR-Truffles-

That's only 7.3g sugar for two balls (one sack.) 

• for two balls (one sack.)

I see what you did there...

I'm marching at my standing workstation as I write this. Gotta get those steps in! It's a lot harder to get 10,000+ steps when you're spending most days at home, I've found. Even chasing my kids and taking care of chores doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my step count.

Today, I ate:

Breakfast:

Decaf BPC-- 2 TBS Kerrygold, 1 TBSP MCT

+Usual supplements

Lunch: 1/2 pound grass-fed ground beef, head of steamed broccoli, a few pats of Kerrygold, some olives, handful of almonds and like a square of dark chocolate.

Snack: Had another square of dark chocolate and some more olives.

Dinner: Another Decaf BPC, same as above, but with 1TBSP of Dave's collagen.

Night-time snack: Smoothie. (I'm saving this for the evening, since it's richer in carbs than the rest of my meals.) Today I'll be using cucumber, loads of baby spinach, coconut milk, spirulina, chlorella and probably some banana.

My wife plans to split the smoothie with me, which is great. I've been trying to get her to eat more healthfully, and now that she's kind of over her cravings, she's open to doing daily smoothies, pastured meats and more veggies. I have her on some supplements now as well. She tried Unfair Advantage the other day (without my having told her much about it) and (I shit you not) talked about how she felt a tingling and warmth in her forehead, between her eyes. That's pretty much what Dave said he'd felt. Strange that I've never felt anything like that! I have her on D3, K2, Dessicated Liver, Iodine and selenium. Also, she takes magnesium and potassium before bed.

edited November 2014
    When/why did you switch to decaf? Have you noticed any positive or negative effects?

I was having symptoms of hypothyroidism and figured I'd be better off not taxing my adrenals any further. Adrenal fatigue can contribute to hypothyroidism, if I recall correctly. Moreover, the caffeine was affecting my sleep quality. I picked up some Swiss Water Processed decaf a while back and have been drinking it almost exclusively.

Positive effects: Sleep has been better.

Negative effects:

--Doesn't taste as good.

--I'm not nearly as productive on decaf as I am on regular coffee. Like, seriously. It's crazy just how much of my productivity was owed to caffeine. The one day last week I had some tea and iced coffee, it was like flipping a switch! I cranked out more words that day than any other so far and felt a huge rush of mental energy.

Going to be heading to the mall today to do some walking, and will be making a point of hitting the gym daily for some uphill walking, if for no other reason than to get more steps in. I'm feeling like a lazy lard these days. Lol.

• About the walking: Ha! Please get back in to it so I have a challenge. :wink:

About the coffee: Yes, it is crazy how much caffeine affects productivity. I have gone back and forth about switching to decaf or just mixing the butter/MCT with breakfast instead, but haven't gotten their yet.

Been a little while since I've updated this ol' thread, so here goes:

Writing has been going all right. I slacked off a bit more than I would have liked during the start of my leave, so I haven't released too terribly much. Nevertheless, profits through a few retailers have risen substantially, so I should be able to stay off of work till mid-January at least. Of course, when that time comes, I'll likely be back to work, which sucks. I really don't want to go back. Unless I have a miracle in the next month or so however, it looks like I'll be doing just that.

It's not all bad, though. I won't have any need to work overtime, and will work just 8 hour-shifts 5 nights per week. That should still give me enough time to get my writing and such done, and I'll have days off to spend with my family.

Thanksgiving saw me do awful things to my body. The leftovers are gone, but I'm still feeling them, so tomorrow I've decided to start a 3-day water fast. I've been meaning to do one ever since Dave posted about it way back when, but always found excuses not to. I'm sure to be a bit irritable, but I have a novel to finish and the day open to me, so I think I'll just crank it out over the next couple of days and skip eating. Perhaps I'll post periodic updates/use this thread to bitch and complain about how much I want a steak lol.

I've returned to the walking. I could be more consistent, but I've been keeping a decent daily average. What I want to try and implement while I'm still off of work is a 10K/10K rule-- 10,000 words written each day and 10,000 steps taken.

Hope y'all are well!

• I always enjoy your updates, Demon/Skeletor. As someone who also aspires to leave my job and be self-employed, it's good to see someone fighting the good fight.

I've done enough writing with attention to word counts to know that 10,000 words a day is bad-ass! How many words per hour do you write on average?

I've done enough writing with attention to word counts to know that 10,000 words a day is bad-ass! How many words per hour do you write on average?

It depends on what I'm working on and how I'm feeling mentally. On a day when my diet is totally on-point and I've taken some Aniracetam, Phenylpiracetam and caffeine, I can approach 2,500 words an hour. Especially if I'm writing a romance novel. If I'm writing something more taxing, like a mystery, I might average more like 1100 an hour. On those days when I eat poorly, I'll be lucky to average 900 words an hour, regardless of what I'm working on.

Just got up a bit ago. It's been almost 10 hours since I last ate, so I'm off to a good start lol. I have a few bottles of Gerolsteiner sitting around, some iced tea and black coffee, should I feel the need to switch it up. Going to strap on my FitBit and get to writing here shortly.

Going to use this post to give periodic updates on the writing/walking/fasting front.

9 PM: Up to 3,200 steps. Have 1,900 words written. I've been sipping plain iced tea. Will switch to mineral water later on. Hunger is there, but it's not overwhelming yet. Kind of craving chocolate and olives, but alas! Was joking with my wife that she shouldn't let me have any food until this novel is published. She was keener on the idea than I expected... :shock:

• Diggin the updates skeletor! Keep em comin, if you survive the water fast I might give it a shot too. I was thinkin about starting post thanksgiving but still on the fence, afraid I'll have to miss teaching one of my classes if I do it...
    edited November 2014

I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I once water fasted for 8 days, and it went OK, except I ended up badly dehydrated. For the first couple of days I was still able to do simple exercise, though I imagine your classes would be a fair bit more arduous.

Anyhow, another update:

10 PM: 3,700 words written now and 4,400 steps. Going to take a short break then get back to it. I'm deep into the book right now, so I'm not feeling much in the way of hunger. We'll see how that changes in the hours to come...

EDIT 1:

11:30 PM: I'm up to 5,400 words written. Feeling pretty good about that! I've got just over 6,000 steps in now. Not bad, however my pedometer will reset to zero at midnight, so I think I'm going to do some walking around the apartment till then. The hunger has intensified a touch. I'm sure that my awful eating habits over the holiday aren't helping me here. They aren't so strong that they're getting in the way, though. I have a glass of iced tea left and will then switch to Gerolsteiner.

EDIT 2:

12:00 AM: Managed to get 9,300 steps in before the pedometer went back to zero. The hunger has increased further, too. I'm getting some nice heartburn, probably due to the crap I ate over the past couple days. Ugh. I don't miss this feeling. Going to sit during this next writing sprint, as my legs are a little tired!

EDIT 3:

1 AM: Sitting on my butt at the moment. I'm up to 6,900 words written for the night, which is excellent. If I can keep up this pace, I'll be beyond 10,000 words by the time I get to bed in the morning. Sipping at a Gerolsteiner now and about ready to stand up and do some more walking at my workstation. The hunger comes and goes in waves. My wife warmed up some ground pork with Turmeric and rice. The smell drifted in through the door of my office and the cravings hit hard, but I stayed strong and just focused on my work. I can tell already that this is going to get hella tough in the next few hours/days, but it's largely a mental game. I don't actually feel like I NEED to eat, I just want to, because I'm accustomed to it. During my previous water fasts, I've sort of gotten over the hunger by the 2.5-3-day mark. Once I cross that threshold, things get easier, so I'm hoping I can just hold out that long. Otherwise, this thread will be here to keep me accountable! Be sure to lay into me if I cave before 3 days are up!

EDIT 4:

2:30 AM: 2,300 steps since midnight. A total of 7,600 words written so far tonight. Things have slowed down a little, as I took an hour's-long break to play with my kids and pace around. The food cravings are getting more intense. The Gerolsteiner isn't filling the void anymore and I'm hungry for anything. I'll be approaching the 24-hour mark within the next 5 hours or so. Been a while since I've gone without eating this long, as I've fallen out of the habit of IFing. Just have to keep my head down, I guess. Once I hit 10,000 or so words, I intend to head out to the grocery store and pick up some food for my family to eat over the next few days. It'll be nice to get out of the house, however briefly. I'm not worried about cracking while out and about, so it shouldn't be an especially taxing errand. Before bed, I plan to take some Magnesium and Potassium supplements. Also, I may take some sea salt in my water tomorrow and squeeze a tablet of Calcium in there somewhere, to ensure I get enough electrolytes and avoid dehydration.

Update: ~ 5 AM

Well, I hit my goal of 10,000 words just now, so I'm throwing in the towel for the day. It's been my most productive writing day in ages. If every day were like this, I'd be a bestseller in no time lol.

Going to get a few more steps in before day's end, I'm sure.

The hunger is getting straight-up ridiculous. If I hadn't spent the past few days eating crappy Thanksgiving fare and indulging in leftovers, then the first day or so of a 3-day fast wouldn't be such a tough hurdle. Those of us who are used to eating BP with consistency should be pretty well-adapted to ketosis and shouldn't have much trouble skipping meals for a day. But damn if I'm not hurting for some food right now. It's still a mental thing, mainly, but I'm jonesing for some steak or broccoli or... man, whatever.

This is going to get tough. I'm unsure whether my focus will remain going into the second day. Wonder if I'll be able to keep up the maniac writing pace without a little food in me. Stay tuned to find out, I guess!

edited November 2014

Thanks for the updates. Keep it up, man!

youcandoit.jpg

• P.S. Good to see you in the new Honda commercial too. ;-)

edited November 2014

Lol!

So, just woke up. Got to bed around 9 AM after some epic grocery shopping. Found a bunch of grass-fed meat on sale, along with some ground buffalo. Rather pleased with that. Of course, the tragedy was that I couldn't eat any of it today!

I was feeling pretty haggard by the time I got to bed this morning. My willpower was dwindling and I was getting kind of annoyed. After a certain point, I'll try and rationalize myself out of anything, no matter how good it may be for me. "Yeah, fasting is good for you, sure, but you know what else is good for you? Grass-fed beef covered in butter! Just go for it!" I popped some magnesium and potassium as planned, then laid down on my sleep induction mat. Slept like a baby and dreamed of food. Not even kidding. When I woke up, I thought I could smell beef roast in the air!

I feel surprisingly good and the physical hunger isn't quite there... but the desire to eat remains. A few times now I've considered just traipsing into the kitchen to cook up a meal. I'm at about the 36-hour mark now, I think. I used to fast this long with no problem when I was doing IF more frequently.

Just strapped on my FitBit, so I'll be logging some steps shortly. On the writing front, I'm not feeling especially motivated, but will try and power through anyhow.

DAY 2. IT BEGINS. :eek:

edit: AND THEN IT SUDDENLY ENDS! lol

Right, so, a square of dark chocolate and a few raw almonds might've found their way into my mouth just now.

;-;

I guess 36 hours isn't too bad for someone coming off of a Thanksgiving bender? lol

I intend to try again, and if I can get used to it, I'll do it monthly, at least. But damn if this isn't hard.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2014

If the point of the 3 day fast isn't simply atoning for Thanksgiving sins, but rather detoxing the crap stored in fat cells, in the event of caving in I think you might do well to prioritize fat > protein > carbs. If you had a BP coffee (or decaf, or butter/MCT tea) you'd give yourself a bit of energy but stay in deep ketosis.

That said, given your energy deficit, you're probably fine with a bit of dark chocolate and almonds. But a bit often turns into a lot more, which then could knock you into sugar burning. So, rather than pass/fail on the detox fast, perhaps call it an A- if you have some butter, B if you add protein, etc. etc. 

If you are detoxing crap stored in fat cells, you might throw in some charcoal too. 

edited January 2015

So, it's a New Year and it occurs to me I haven't updated this thread in a while. Haven't been posting much, either.

For starters, tomorrow will be my first night back at work. I know, I know. A few pages back I was pumped up and full of bravado and declared that I'd never go back and that, when my leave of absence was over, I'd put in my two weeks.

Well, things didn't really go as planned there, so feel free to needle me till your heart's content lol. I managed to stay off of work since my daughter was born back in October, but without the steady paychecks coming in, the book royalties were too erratic. Bills started piling up, food became scarce and the past few weeks have been a generally stressful, un-fun time for me and my family. Which is a shame, what with it being the holidays and all. And so, instead of attempting to limp along like I've been doing for the last little while, I've arranged to return to my boring old desk job on January 2nd.

It was fun being off of work so long, and I got a pretty good bit of writing done in that time. By the end I actually managed a good routine, and was starting to get past that aimless kind of feeling that assailed me after I initially went on leave. It was nice spending extra time with my wife and kids and feeling like I was really in charge of my life, rather than taking orders constantly from superiors. Self-employment is awesome, and it's something I'm going to continue to strive for. I just have to admit to myself that I'm not there yet. It's not a fun or exciting realization to come to, but there it is.

The holidays saw my diet take a few hits, but overall I was just happy to get some food in me. Things are slowly getting back to normal, and I'm doing my best to stick to BP foods. We're only a day in, but I haven't had any gluten or refined sugar since 2014! Lol. I've set some goals for the New Year, and hope to make good on all of them. I read the 4-hour Work Week during my leave, and have just started into the Bulletproof Diet book. Both have been pretty good reads.

For 2015, I'm going to try my hardest to walk at least 15,000 steps a day. I feel better when I move around a lot, and perhaps walking at this level, along with the BP Diet, will help me drop my last few pounds more easily. I also want to make a point of reading more. I've got a huge stack of books I need to get to, and I find that regular reading makes me feel sharper. Plus it's damn enjoyable. My writing business will continue and hopefully soar to new heights. I'll look into maximizing my brands, adding new content and taking as Bulletproof an approach to things as I can so that, perhaps by year's end, I'll be able to quit my job (if I want to). My wife is a little hesitant to have me make the leap after this little experiment we've just had, and I can't blame her. But we'll see how things improve in the months to come.

I hope you all made it through 2014 in one piece, and that 2015 is an awesome year for you all!

• Thanks for the update, and the honesty. :-)

Thanks for the update, and the honesty. :smile:

Heck, thanks for reading! I can't believe this rambly thread of mine is up to 10 pages! haha

The walking has been going well, but my feet are starting to get damn sore! I've been averaging about 8 miles of walking per day at 15,000 steps. Standing on my sleep induction mat after a day of walking does seem to help. Going to look into compression socks, too.

Still working my way through the BP diet book and have picked up on a few new tidbits. Thinking I might try and incorporate some sprints when winter finally ends. Hopefully I'll have lost a bit more weight by then, so that the sprinting won't be so rough on my joints. Reading the book, I'm reminded of all the little things I can tweak to become more BP. Supplements I should look into, foods I should be eating more of, etc. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to someone just picking it up randomly on a bookstore shelf! When I first discovered this site and the podcast I'd been doing Paleo for a little while, so going BP was just taking things a few steps further. I'm hoping that by reading the book as a refresher I'll have a better understanding of the nuts n' bolts of the diet and will be more helpful to new users as they spring up.

One thing I'd sort of like to hack is my meal timing. I keep a weird schedule, working from 11PM till 7AM. I get up around 5PM, make a BP coffee and eat some meat+veg by 6 or 7. I take my supplements, too. I then drink another BP coffee, finishing it before midnight. When I get home at 8ish in the morning, I throw together a BP smoothie (spinach, avocado, coconut milk, blueberries, cucumber, for instance) and suck it down about an hour before bed. I just drank said concoction and feel AWESOME. Of course, I'm kind of missing out on the awesome benefits of BPIF eating this way. I want to get plenty of BP foods in me and I'm trying to save the bulk of my carbs till day's end, near bedtime. I guess I might just skip my meal at home, eat it at work around 3AM instead and do BPIF till then each day? Of course, then I'd have to use a microwave to reheat my food.

I dunno, I'm going to have to hammer this out in the days to come. I feel pretty good doing what I'm doing, and maybe the IF isn't necessary so long as I'm sticking to the diet 100% of the time?

Just a few small thoughts:

Still working my way through the BP Diet book. I think this is one I'm going to reread a few times. It's got a lot of info in it, some of it new, and it's all laid out so perfectly. Perhaps by my third or fourth reading of the thing I'll be able to articulate, plainly, the bulk of the science behind this diet. I mean, at least on a superficial level. I want to do some reading into biochemistry so that I can get an even better understanding of things. I was never good at chemistry or the "harder" sciences when I was younger. Or math. But then, if I'm not being compelled to study those subjects by the school system, but rather approaching them from a place of personal enjoyment and curiosity, then maybe I'll fare better.

I dare say the 15,000 steps a day has gotten easy for me. My feet are no longer sore and I can get the 15,000 steps pretty reliably. We're only a week into the New Year, of course, but I'm not struggling with it like I feared I would! It's been about 2 days since my last update on that, and the soreness is completely gone. The first few days of walking 15,000 steps was rough on me. Now it's a breeze. What a difference a few days can make. Later into the year I might even try and up it to 20,000 a day. I wonder; how much exercise do you guys think ~8 miles of walking per day is? Would you classify that as particularly rigorous, or make any macro changes based on it? Some of it is speed-walking, but a lot of it is just done at a comfortable pace. I've found that I require more sleep these days, and I think it has to do with the walking, mainly. Based on Dave's definitions in the BP Diet book, it isn't technically exercise, though he notes that moving around a lot has many benefits.

I've been using a FitBit Flex to track my steps, and I just received notice that new models are available, some of which apparently measure heart rate! I really want to get my hands on one, as I think that could be a useful bit of data for me to record, but I'm going to have to save up. I don't know how reliable the heart rate tech in these things really is, either, which might limit its usefulness. If it's sensitive enough to track changes based on, say, foods I eat, then it might be a handy biohacking device. I'll have to wait and see what reviews come out in the days to come.

Sleep has been so-so. I've found I require more than normal and getting out of bed is rough. This is partly due to stress, and then I think my body is also getting used to the larger amounts of walking I've been doing. Slept about 10 hours today. Would much prefer to cut that down to 8. Going to down a teaspoon of honey before bed this morning and make sure to fully darken my room, though I admit the honey's never helped too much before. Doing a protein fast today, more out of necessity than preference. Just drank a BP coffee and am feeling quite good.

• Good stuff, man. I am happy if I can get to 10,000 steps in a day. It's not too hard on the weekends when I am at home, but it is tough during the week while at work. Stupid desk job. :wink:

It's not too hard on the weekends when I am at home, but it is tough during the week while at work. Stupid desk job. :wink:

I know what you mean, lol. I end up racing around at work to try and hit my goal before midnight and my coworkers look at me like I'm insane.

Oh, another thing about work; it's flu season and I didn't get the vaccine, so I get to wear a surgical mask around. :/ I work at a hospital (but not directly with patients). It's super dumb and uncomfortable, but I feel like I made the right choice. The flu vaccine just doesn't make any sense to me. After the reading I've done and the various posts I've seen here on the forum, I don't see any *good* reason to take it.

When people ask me why I didn't get it and give me that sidelong glance that says "Are you one of those unscientific people who hates all vaccines?", I simply tell them that it's "against my religion". I'm not actually religious, but if they ever ask me my religion, I tell them I'm a member of the Esoteric Order of Dagon lol. It shuts down the conversation really fast and keeps me from having to try and summarize the various issues I have with vaccines. Anytime I say something like: "But it downregulates your immune system for a while after and the long-term effects of Thirmosol-containing preservatives are unknown," for instance, they'll just point to the fact that the FDA has declared it "safe" and that that should be good enough.

Oh, the FDA? You mean, the same FDA whose advice on nutrition has caused a surge in diseases of affluence? Yeah, naw, I'm good.

• Thumbs up on the choice not to get the vaccine, and I love the Dagon cult link! :)

The flu shot thing was a little soap opera for me this year. I worked for a hospital (technically), although I didn't work in a hospital or with patients. I had to "get a flu shot before the end of October or get fired." I ordered a bunch of chlorella, N-acetyl cysteine, etc. online to counteract the effects of the shot. But I kept putting off the shot because I knew I'd be getting a job with another employer. I ended up starting with the new employer on October 31 -- meaning I successfully avoided the flu shot. And, now I have a bunch of NAC and chlorella which is taking me a couple of months to use up. :)