A Demon's Journey Of Self-Discovery

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Dang it! I messed up my step count the other day and ended up a few thousand short of my 15,000 step goal. I wouldn't consider it a failure, but it was kind of annoying lol. Only day so far this year I haven't hit 15K.

It's the 10th now, and I still haven't had any wheat or sugar or junk of any kind since last year. 10 days may not seem all that impressive to most members here, but after the holidays, I thought I'd have more trouble kicking the habit. I'm feeling good and performing well. I did dream of eating some really good pizza tonight, though lol. Dave's advice in the book to simply regard those things as non-food items seems to be working for me.

Stress is still enormous, but it's slowly improving. When pay-day comes around again on the 23rd, I expect things will level back out to normal.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I've heard a couple podcast interviews lately (on the Hal Elrod Achieve Your Goals podcast and the Spencer Haws Niche Pursuits podcast) with a guy named Steve Scott who was talking about his success with Kindle e-books. Ever heard of him? He said some pretty intriguing stuff about how he markets to his email list. Looks like he has a site about his marketing strategies and stuff -- thought I'd pass it your direction just in case anything on there might be helpful to you. (Warning, it does look like he may be using the site to market his products too.) The site is http://www.stevescottsite.com/

I haven't heard of him, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the link!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Time for a dreary little update as the end of the month draws near.

I've been fairly consistent with my walking, though I've bungled things here and there.

This month has been one of the most stressful of my life. I'm way, way too happy to see January end, if we're being honest. This is the closest to abject poverty I've ever been. After taking so much time off of work I ended up without enough money to feed myself and my family, which made things really difficult and stressful. Bills ended up overdue, threatening letters from the utility companies were received and generally it was just a BAD time. I have zero doubt that this past month has negatively impacted my health, and I won't lie; for at least a few days I had to settle and eat less than optimal foods. A man can only fast for so long. Fasting when you've got the option of eating good food, when your fridge and pantry are fully stocked, is a privilege, a choice, a luxury. When you're forced into fasting out of circumstance, it's something else altogether. Not therapeutic. When I did come upon money, I did the best I could to stock the kitchen with quality paleo foods. I also ran through practically ALL of my supplements during this time. My wife and kids never went hungry, but I subsisted off of a single cup of butter coffee more days than I care to admit.

I was pretty burnt out a day or two ago and decided to eat some junk for my son's birthday. We'd all had a hard month and I figured: "What's the harm? After the month we've had, we should take a load off!" Yeah, well, that was a bad idea. I suspect that I'm allergic to vegetable oil or something, because after partaking in a rather sizeable portion of fried foods, I spent the subsequent 12 hours on the toilet, both crapping water and vomiting. Activated charcoal didn't help. The thing ran its course and my digestion has since recovered, but suffice to say vegetable oils of any kind are just a no-no. I should know better by now.

Things have improved in the past couple days; I've been back to work since the 2nd of the month and now have a kitchen full of food, bills paid up and a cabinet full of basic supplements. But I won't lie, it's been hell. Borderline traumatizing, this sort of thing. You lose sleep over it. I'm going to continue working my ass off so that this never happens again. And it was all thanks to my hubris. Note to my past self: Taking a bunch of time off of work is a great idea... but ONLY if you're 100% certain you won't fuck up your entire life in the process.

But yeah. Ran to the Vitamin Shoppe today and picked up more Vitamin D3, some K2 complex, some dessicated liver. Ordered some more racetams, some MCT oil. I've been using coconut oil in my BPCs lately, and it kind of sucks. My tummy's not too fond of coconut oil, for whatever reason.

I've been reading quite a lot. Good books can make great distractions when you're in the shit, and I plowed through a couple this month. My writing output has been dismal, but it's hard to be creative when you're constantly stressed. I still got some work done, just not as much as I'd have liked. Planning on getting back into a consistent writing schedule.

A strange thing; my weight seems to have gone up, however I look a fair bit leaner. My pants are looser, my face is thinner, but the scale keeps trending up. Perhaps it's inflammation, or maybe my miles of daily walking are making my legs bulk up a little bit? My calves do look j00cier. It's weird, though. 

Sorry to be a downer, haha. I'm over it and excited to be moving forward. Every bite of grass-fed beef anymore is like manna from the heavens.

Goodbye, January. I look forward to starting the New Year properly, starting February 1st.

• Thumbs up on getting back on your feet after that. You made a bold move -- perhaps foolhardy, but bold nonetheless. Maybe that's what John Maxwell meant by "failing forward."

January's been a bit rough on me too. I like your idea of starting the New Year with February. Basically, I reserve the right to start the New Year any time I want -- Chinese New Year which is sometime in mid-February, Eastern Orthodox New Year, Kwanzaa, Passover. I'll keep restarting it until I get it right, dammit! :)

• By the way, have you followed on the news about how this year's flu vaccine was only something like 26% effective? And people are getting the flu left and right in spite of being vaccinated! It makes me feel vindicated about dodging the shot this year.

By the way, have you followed on the news about how this year's flu vaccine was only something like 26% effective? And people are getting the flu left and right in spite of being vaccinated! It makes me feel vindicated about dodging the shot this year.

Yeah, some of my co-workers were talking about it just the other day. Many of them got the vaccine and still ended up calling in because they ended up with the flu all the same. Thankfully, they couldn't see my smarmy grin behind my mask  :wink:

• What books did you read?

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

What books did you read?

I read the BP Diet book, several collections of short horror stories (best one was The Oxford Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories), Koji Suzuki's Ring, and I'm nearly through with William Gibson's Neuromancer. They've all been pretty excellent.

• In December, I was a reading machine. I read the Bulletproof Diet, The Wahls Protocol, The Calcium Paradox, and How to Travel the World on $50 a Day. I realize that probably pales in comparison to some speed readers, but that was more books than I've ever read in a month (outside of school). It wasn't hard, either. I didn't have to force myself.

It can be difficult to quantify how much reading one does anymore because of the internet. If I spend 5 hours researching on the internet, that doesn't show up tangibly as 200 pages in a book.

I like the sound of that Oxford Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories, I'm gonna get that.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Thanks again for your honesty. I am sorry that it was such a tough month for you and your family, but glad to hear that you are starting fresh now.
    edited February 2015

Random thoughts:

I slept 15 hours today after having worked two 16-hour shifts over the weekend. I'm hella refreshed but I feel sort of like Rip Van Winkle. @[email protected]

Poached eggs are awesome. I think I've finally mastered the technique. Eggs aren't giving me tummy troubles like they used to, either, which is great. A change in gut flora, maybe? I've been eating like 4 or 5 every couple days.

I love The Smiths.

Had some off days in my walking again. Really dropped the ball this past week. Back in the game, though.

Started getting a sore jaw over the past 2 days. I think it's the racetams I'm on. Going to stop taking them and see if it goes away. Either that or it's excess choline. But somehow I doubt that. I'm not eating THAT many eggs!

It's hard to juggle writing with my day job, but it's not impossible. I've been working overtime to get ahead financially and will probably continue doing so for the foreseeable future. This means writing during breaks at work and in those few hours I have at home between shifts when I'm not sleeping.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Damn, how much did you sleep between those shifts? 

edited February 2015

Damn, how much did you sleep between those shifts? 

I slept like 6 or 7 hours between those. And my sleep was rather poor. It wasn't the best way to go about it, that's for sure. Doing this sort of thing too often is a good way to get burnt out. I might work one more 16 this week, but it won't be for at least a day or two to give me a little time to recover. Last winter I worked (12) 16-hour shifts in a row. Pretty sure I sheared a few years off of my life with that run lol. Sleeping ~6 only works for me if I'm feeling really bulletproof and everything is on point, and even then, I feel better on 8 or 9 hours. I'm learning to get by on 7.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I slept like 6 or 7 hours between those. And my sleep was rather poor. It wasn't the best way to go about it, that's for sure. Doing this sort of thing too often is a good way to get burnt out. I might work one more 16 this week, but it won't be for at least a day or two to give me a little time to recover. Last winter I worked (12) 16-hour shifts in a row. Pretty sure I sheared a few years off of my life with that run lol. Sleeping ~6 only works for me if I'm feeling really bulletproof and everything is on point, and even then, I feel better on 8 or 9 hours. I'm learning to get by on 7.

That's rough. I would probably sneak in a nap if circumstances allowed it.

• 7 1/2 hours seems to be the right amount for me when everything is "normal".

Have you seen this? http://sleepyti.me/

That's rough. I would probably sneak in a nap if circumstances allowed it.

I've done that a few times. I get an hour's break and have slept during that time when working 16's, but I find it just leaves me more tired. Perhaps there'd be some way to hack an hour's nap to make it more refreshing... but first I'd probably have to find someplace comfortable to sleep, haha. In the past I've been forced to make due with computer chairs and the like.

7 1/2 hours seems to be the right amount for me when everything is "normal".

Have you seen this? http://sleepyti.me/

Hey, this is pretty nifty! Thanks.

Some more randomness:

-I sliced my finger open yesterday while trying to pry the cardboard sleeve off of a bar of Lindt 85%. That shit is dangerous.

-During my last update I mentioned a sore jaw. Well, it remained sore off and on for about 8 or 9 days total. Sometimes the pain was fairly intense, other times barely noticeable. At the moment, there's zero pain. It's like it never happened. But I'm not sure what the problem was, in the end. I've been off of eggs and racetams for days now, so perhaps giving myself a break on both is what helped. I do sometimes grind/clench my teeth, often in my sleep, and that may have caused or exacerbated it. One day, when the pain was especially bad, I feared it might be one of my wisdom teeth giving me problems. The gums weren't sore or inflamed, but I wondered if I wasn't rocking an infection or something. My insurance doesn't cover much in the way of dental care, so I was planning on effectively nuking the suspected infection with a battery of supplements. Anyway, the pain is gone now, so I'm going to write it off as a fluke. Maybe a choline+bruxism thing. I'll slowly reintroduce eggs and just eat less of them. At the first sign of soreness, I'll back off.

-Blended BPC is best BPC. I don't drink Bulletproof Coffee anymore unless I have access to a blender. The other night, I blended up a frothy BPC and brought it with me to work in a thermos. When I went to drink it, it'd separated! Hate it when that happens. Drinking it fresh is the only way to go. Hope I don't kill my blender. I still need it for smoothies!

-Had a few days (during the period of mysterious jaw soreness) where I felt dumber than a sack of bricks. That feeling has gone, but it was super unpleasant while it lasted. I'm back to writing, reading, walking and eating more optimally.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

-Blended BPC is best BPC. I don't drink Bulletproof Coffee anymore unless I have access to a blender. The other night, I blended up a frothy BPC and brought it with me to work in a thermos. When I went to drink it, it'd separated! Hate it when that happens. Drinking it fresh is the only way to go. Hope I don't kill my blender. I still need it for smoothies!

Agreed, blended is best. However I also drink coffee with butter and coconut oil mixed in, leaving a nice fat layer on top. As long as it's warm enough so it doesn't have chunks of fat it's not all bad.

edited March 2015

I've been trying to eat more widely, especially where veggies are concerned. There are a lot of veggies I'm not crazy about, however I don't want to avoid them and miss out on the nutrients they have to offer. As much as I'd love to live solely off of steamed broccoli, it does get old, and it's unlikely that I'm getting everything I need from eating only a couple different veggies on the regular.

I've started eating avocados. I usually throw them in my smoothies because I'm not wild about the taste. Turns out they're not too bad with some Real Salt on 'em. Ate one for dinner tonight, along with a whole whack of Asparagus cooked in Kerrygold. I've started eating celery, too. The celery taste/smell has never been especially pleasant to me, and its stringiness is something of a turn-off, but it's not so offensive that I can't eat it. I tried grape tomatoes yesterday for the first time as well. I don't really care for tomatoes and they're not the most BP anyhow, but they were actually fairly enjoyable. I don't always do so well with nightshades, but eating them once in a blue moon might be OK. I'm also planning to cycle in a few varieties of greens/lettuces for use in smoothies. Kale and spinach are great, but they do get tiresome.

Right now, my daily intake is looking like this:

Wake up and cook: ~1 pound of grass-fed beef and a big serving of broccoli or asparagus with butter. Eat an avocado, some celery and raw carrot. Maybe some poached eggs.

A Bulletproof coffee before work.

While I'm at work:

Olives

A serving of 85% dark chocolate

Maybe some beef sticks, sardines or an Epic bar if I ate less meat for dinner

Perhaps some raw almonds

Fatty smoothie before bed (coconut milk, MCT oil, another avocado, spinach or kale, cucumber, ginger, blueberries or strawberries)

Been going lower carb, since eating rice daily was leading to dry skin. After doing a few eliminations I seem to have narrowed it down. The rice is out and my skin has improved. Coincidence? Maybe. We'll see. Rice has been a staple for me all my life, and since childhood I've struggled with dry skin. It may be time to let the rice go, which will be hard. When it comes to carb refeeds, I'm going to have to get used to sweet potatoes. I don't really like them, but like the avocado and celery, I'll have to learn to like 'em.

Went grocery shopping today and picked up a crap-ton of asparagus and sweet potatoes. They were on sale, so I stocked up! Bought some grass-fed rump roasts and steaks as well.

My mom does a lot of chronic cardio and seems to be suffering from tendonitis or some other injury, as she's having difficulty running without pain. She's also a vegetarian. I hooked her up with some of Dave's collagen. It may not fix her completely, but it should help her joints recover a bit, since she insists on abusing them. After taking it regularly, she claims the pain has waned. Now let's see if I can't get her to try the whey...

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

1. I'm also planning to cycle in a few varieties of greens/lettuces for use in smoothies. Kale and spinach are great, but they do get tiresome.

2. When it comes to carb refeeds, I'm going to have to get used to sweet potatoes. I don't really like them, but like the avocado and celery, I'll have to learn to like 'em.

3. She's also a vegetarian. I hooked her up with some of Dave's collagen. It may not fix her completely, but it should help her joints recover a bit, since she insists on abusing them. After taking it regularly, she claims the pain has waned. Now let's see if I can't get her to try the whey...

1. Try chard. Comes in green or red for variety, and also rainbow. Brussels sprouts are acceptable in smoothies, but I keep meaning to cook them on their own. Collard greens are rough in smoothies but can be choked down. 

2. I've been into the "bulletproof hash" recipe in the book. Small cubes of sweet potato, salt, turmeric, fry on low heat, ideally in lard or ghee. I've been boiling the cubes first so their mushy on the inside and firm on the outside. (Sometimes even browned and crunchy on the outside if I'm feeling OK with some cooking toxins...) Awesome for someone who always loved giant greasy diner breakfasts. Awesome for absorbing runny yolks. I also posted a sweet potato pancake recipe, and there's Jason's brownies... lots of options for more than just baked sweet potatoes. 

3. Erm... you realize the collagen is processed cow flesh and most definitely not "vegetarian" while the whey is made from milk and therefore OK for lacto-ovo veggies right? It was the old whey that had serum (blood) albumin, the new 2.0 whey seems to have replaced that with colostrum.

1. Try chard. Comes in green or red for variety, and also rainbow. Brussels sprouts are acceptable in smoothies, but I keep meaning to cook them on their own. Collard greens are rough in smoothies but can be choked down. 

2. I've been into the "bulletproof hash" recipe in the book. Small cubes of sweet potato, salt, turmeric, fry on low heat, ideally in lard or ghee. I've been boiling the cubes first so their mushy on the inside and firm on the outside. (Sometimes even browned and crunchy on the outside if I'm feeling OK with some cooking toxins...) Awesome for someone who always loved giant greasy diner breakfasts. Awesome for absorbing runny yolks. I also posted a sweet potato pancake recipe, and there's Jason's brownies... lots of options for more than just baked sweet potatoes. 

3. Erm... you realize the collagen is processed cow flesh and most definitely not "vegetarian" while the whey is made from milk and therefore OK for lacto-ovo veggies right? It was the old whey that had serum (blood) albumin, the new 2.0 whey seems to have replaced that with colostrum.

1. Will definitely try some chard. I LOVE the taste of brussels sprouts, but I haven't had them in a long time. For some reason, whenever I eat them, I throw up. It isn't even like a nausea-related thing. They just come up, like my stomach is rejecting them. It's really, really weird, and it's happened more than once, which leads me to believe that something in them isn't right for me. Maybe I'll try them again, just a couple of them, to see. It has been quite a while.

2. Didn't occur to me to add them into a hash! Will have to peep that recipe again. The brownies are something I've always wanted to make, but have never gotten around to. Pancakes sound awesome, too!

3. Oh, I know. And she knows it, too. I kind of convinced her that a little bit of animal protein might help her with recovery, especially collagen, and after hearing about both the quality of the supplement and of the potential benefits, she decided it was worth trying. She does eat fish once in a blue moon, and eggs. So I guess she's, like, vegetarian-ish. Lol.

Aren't you/weren't you a vegetarian, ACH85? Do you eat meat now or is it still something you struggle with? Maybe I'm confusing you with another poster, but I thought I remembered you posting about how you couldn't get into meat after having been a vegetarian for so long.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Avocados are amazing. It's a little silly that I stayed away from them so long. The taste used to put me off, however in giving them another chance (and throwing some Real Salt on 'em) I find I really enjoy them. There are few snacks out there as BP as an avocado, and they can be had quickly and cheaply at virtually any grocery store. I've been packing one or two of them for work each night along with a small container of Real Salt. Some soft-boiled eggs, too. The junk in my workplace's cafeteria can't hold a candle to the super decadent stuff I bring along with me. Beef sticks, 85% dark chocolate, soft-boiled eggs, avocados... They can keep their soggy, nasty pizza! I do get weird looks for eating avocados like this, though. It's kind of funny.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Avocados are amazing. It's a little silly that I stayed away from them so long. The taste used to put me off, however in giving them another chance (and throwing some Real Salt on 'em) I find I really enjoy them. There are few snacks out there as BP as an avocado, and they can be had quickly and cheaply at virtually any grocery store. I've been packing one or two of them for work each night along with a small container of Real Salt. Some soft-boiled eggs, too. The junk in my workplace's cafeteria can't hold a candle to the super decadent stuff I bring along with me. Beef sticks, 85% dark chocolate, soft-boiled eggs, avocados... They can keep their soggy, nasty pizza! I do get weird looks for eating avocados like this, though. It's kind of funny.

You work at a hospital right? I guess they make their own clients by serving crap in the cafeteria. 

That they do! lol

• Avocados are amazing. It's a little silly that I stayed away from them so long. The taste used to put me off, however in giving them another chance (and throwing some Real Salt on 'em) I find I really enjoy them.

Agreed, and same here. I did not care for them for a long time, but after sprinkling a little salt on them, I too find them pretty enjoyable.
    edited March 2015

Damn, I hate stress.

My wife and I are trying (and failing) to potty train my sons. They're 2 and 4 years old, and they're just not getting it. Like, they'll use the toilet off and on, but I still end up having to scrub piss off of everything in the house. My 2-year-old, in particular, seems content to just use the house as his urinal. The other day he crapped in his pull-up and decided to take it off. He set it on the kitchen counter for us, like he was delivering some baked goods or something. :mellow:

I haven't hardly written a thing this month. Just can't seem to finish anything. Our financial situation, though improved, is still unsteady. We're expecting our tax return in the next few weeks and that should settle all of our extant debts and save the day. We'll also be able to move with some of that money, with any luck. But waiting for that money to roll in is excruciating. A real nail-biter.

I've been working a lot, obviously, but I ended up calling in sick the past 2 days because I felt I was on the verge of a psychotic break. Just felt terrible and burnt out on everything. A man can only sop up so much piss and weather so much uncertainty before he starts to lose it. I really feel like I'm in a rut, like if I don't do something, and fast, I'll never move out of this awkward, uncertain, stressful part of my life. Been feeling hopeless and depressed about things. I wonder sometimes if I should really care so much about eating well and "performance". Maybe I should just do like everyone else does and live off of Kraft Dinners until my situation improves, you know? I mean, my health would take a blow, but the stress of spending what little money I have on good food isn't exactly promoting longevity either. Maybe I should ditch the writing and go full-on wage-slave mode until things get better.

Bah.

I just ate an avocado for breakfast and washed it down with an extra rich BP coffee. I have the night off and will probably try and get some writing done. I find that when I don't write, I feel worthless. It's silly, perhaps, but I only ever feel fulfilled when I'm getting some words in on a daily basis. A lot of my recent unhappiness stems from my lack of productivity, I reckon.

Still trying to read daily. Currently reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles." It's a quick, fun read. Almost done with it. After this, I've got Michio Kaku's newest one. Will probably hit up the library on my next day off and check out a fresh stack of reading material.

Thinking I'm going to experiment with writing in a gratitude journal daily. An exercise like that one might help keep me centered and motivated even when things get tough.

I've been debating on how to handle my daily walking from here on out. 8 miles a day might be excessive. I don't have a lot of trouble with it anymore, except for the occasional thigh chafing. Not sure if I should go back down to 5 or if I should maintain my 8 mile regimen.

Decisions, decisions.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Making some other food choices due to budget constraints isn't the end of the world. And I assume you're not planning to just eat at McDonald's for all your meals now. In the end you need enough energy to keep moving, I wouldn't feel bad one second if I had to eat something non-Bulletproof due to financial limitations.

Of course, you don't want to make the situation worse by having something that's kryptonite for you. So it still has to be a smart choice, be it not the most Bulletproof choice.

edited March 2015

I'm happy to report that things are good now. Won't miss the collection calls! What a difference a few good days can make. Between my refund and a few surprise royalty payments, things seem to be squared away for the time being.

I've had opportunity to stock up on some good foods and make a few little upgrades. In the next couple of months I also hope to move to a nicer, more spacious apartment. My family and I live in a nasty, cramped 2-bedroom apartment. It's falling apart and it's in the middle of the city, which means more noise and pollution and whatnot. Looking to move to the suburbs, closer to my folks.

Went grocery shopping the other day and stumbled upon Anchor butter from New Zealand. I'd never seen it in stores around here. Excited, I bought up 2 bricks. It was only $3 a brick, which seemed like a bargain to me. It has a slightly better flavor than Kerrygold, IMO, but it's harder (less CLA?). It's pretty much the same color. I've been using it in my BPCs. Haven't noticed any difference in my performance or anything, but it's tasty. In the way of coffee I've been drinking Intelligentsia's Black Cat Espresso recently. This shit is so tasty I almost don't want to put butter and MCT in it. It's seriously amazing. 

Went ahead and made a big purchase on Upgraded Self. I don't do it too often, but wanted to try and invest a little in recovering from all of the stress I've been under recently. Picked up some Upgraded Glutathione, a bag of Dave's coffee, some more collagen, an airscape canister and some of the truffled coffee beans, for fun. I've actually never tried Dave's beans before, so I'm eager to see whether or not I actually gain anything from using them. Doubt they'll taste as good as the espresso I've been drinking, though!

My wife and I also picked up iPod Touches, which will be used in place of smart phones. I've loaded the thing up with various apps that should help me stay productive and so far it's been a super useful tool. My wife fried her Macbook the other day, though, which sucks. And we definitely don't have enough to replace it. She spilled water on it :sad: . Despite sticking the thing in a bag of rice for a few days, it's still not working, so we're pretty sure it's dunzo. Alas.

I'm back to writing. Finally. My output has been dismal this month, but I hope to make up for it. Blasted out 3,400 new words today during 3 half-hour sessions, so I feel like the dam has finally broken.