Frustrated & Gaining Fat - Help?

I'm looking for some advice on how to tweak my food intake to start maximizing results.

Before I get into the frustrating parts, I'll start with the positive.  I started doing Body By Science weightlifting a month ago.  I went from a fairly "standard" 3 day per week protocol, which I had plateaued at long ago, to once a week and I'm considering adding another day or two between.  After just four super intense lifts of the 5 core movements (okay I'll be honest, I added resisted abs as the 6th move) my weights/strength have increased significantly, to the tune of roughly 5-10lbs per lift each week!  That part has been exciting and I'm certainly noticing increased muscle mass.

However, now for the bad news.  I seem to be gaining fat at a rather rapid rate, especially on my stomach.  Rewind back to early April.  I'm a 5'10" male and weighed 185lbs.  I did my first ever Master Cleanse for 12 days and dropped down to 175lbs.  My jeans fit great and my face looked much thinner.  I felt good.  Then I went on a cruise.....  Now to be fair, I've been pretty strict Paleo eating (after 1 year of 4HB / Slow Carb prior) for over three years now.  I'm not a carboholic and have been quite strict when it comes to proteins, veggies, and almost zero carbs.  I'm in sales so I consume alcohol quite frequently, 3-5 nights per week but rarely more than two.  

For comparison, I lost 25lbs in 60 days when I first went Paleo a couple years ago and I was drinking wine every night.  I wanted to see if it was possible to lean out while still enjoying my lifestyle.  It worked amazingly well!  However, back then I was at the gym 3-4 nights per week.  I was doing HIIT sessions (even after I had plateaued I kept going--got hooked on the feeling) and I was running a hard mile as a warmup.  Well, hard for me anyway, at about a 7:10 pace, trying to shave a few seconds off each week.  I ended each weight training session with an interval on the bike--12 minutes with 30 seconds all out and 90 seconds rest, 6 total intervals with a couple minute warm up and cool down.

Back to the cruise...I consumed more white rice and a bit more alcohol than normal but was still doing an intense cardio interval for 20 minutes every other day.  I knew I wasn't as strict as normal, but didn't think much of it.  We come home and I had ballooned back up to 183lbs and was feeling pretty down.  My girlfriend, who is 5'6", 110lbs, and also strict Paleo, she ate more food and worse food than I did, but didn't gain a pound.  I'm jealous of the way her body processes carbs when she binges.

In any event, that's when I stumbled across BP and got excited about the potential.  There's so much in common with what I had been doing for years (Paleo) prior that it seemed like a natural transition, essentially increasing fat intake while decreasing protein just a bit.  

I bought MCT Oil, KG butter, and started BPIF.  I love how I have absolutely zero cravings and it's actually difficult for me to eat dinner sometimes because I'm just not that hungry.  Anyway, I stopped drinking alcohol entirely for three weeks and consumed nothing but the following (no deviations whatsoever):

9am - BP Coffee (1tbsp mct & 1tbsp butter)

11am - BP Coffee

1pm - BP Coffee (some days I'd have the 3rd cup while others I wouldn't)

2 or 3pm - 3 egg omelet (spinach, mushrooms, peppers, sauteed in olive oil with half an avocado and salsa)

8pm - 100% grassfed ribeye steak, ground beef/lamb, or a wild caught fish (sockeye salmon season here in florida :) ) with steamed asparagus, brussel sprouts (butter and apple cider vinegar with a little salt), and an average sized sweet potato--200g.

Supplements: (all taken first thing in the morning right before my first BP coffee)

- 7000 IU Vitamin D

- 400mg Magnesium Citrate

- 250mg Glutathione

- 648mg Betaine HCl

- 1tbsp Metamucil

I followed this for three straight weeks with just the one day a week of lifting and then walking at least 10,000 steps per day.  I live in a downtown environment so I started walking 30 minutes in the morning and evening every day.  I'm a desk jockey that works from home so I definitely do not have an "active lifestyle" during the week.  

All went well as far as mental well being is concerned.  I was sleeping great, felt really sharp mentally, and just felt great overall.  However, I only lost two pounds, which is much slower than I'm accustomed to when it comes to being really strict with the diet.

I then went to a bachelor party weekend with a group of friends.  To call it a "cheat day" would be putting it mildly, but after 3 weeks of strict protocol, I decided to let myself "refeed" with some carbs and plenty of tequila.  I've always been paranoid about "cheat days" and have never done them.  Seems like every time I do, I pay the price in fat gain.  Well, this was no exception, that was 5 days ago, so I know it's not just food still inside me, and I'm still carrying 3lbs more than I was a week ago and look noticeably chubbier in the mirror.  It took me 3 weeks to lose those couple of pounds and 3 days to gain it all back even after returning to strict BPIF this week.

FYI, I don't have any medical conditions that I'm aware of and I'm rarely ever sick.  I consume a ton of green vegetables and don't smoke.  In general, I feel healthy, but this increase in body fat is bumming me out!

So...I'm looking for advice.  I'm pretty frustrated.  Any comments would be appreciated, but here are a few questions I've been thinking about:

1) Do I simply need more activity?  If I start doing daily 20 minute cardio intervals again or even every other day with the off day being a 30 minute yoga routine, will that kick start things?  I keep thinking about when I lost those 25lbs when first going Paleo and it makes me want to work out more, but I was really wanting to give BBS protocol a fair shake combined with simply taking a couple long walks every day.

2) Do you think a master cleanse, where you're living off of 700-1000 calories of maple syrup for two weeks did anything negative to my body?  I felt awesome doing it and losing 10 pounds in less than two weeks was certainly encouraging and motivating, but did it come with a price?

3) Are most people disregarding calories entirely while BP?  I ask because with MCT + butter, each coffee is 240 calories * 3 cups = 720 liquid fat calories prior to my first meal.  Again, I feel awesome and very sharp mentally, but my omelet is about 500 calories (mostly due to the avocado), and my dinner is around 700.  That's only 1200 calories from food for the entire day plus the fat in the coffee gets me up to about 2000, which for a guy my size has always been a rough target.  

4) Am I drinking too much BP coffee? 2-3 cups okay?  Or are you only supposed to have 1?  Dave's article on BPIF says you can drink as much BP coffee as you want, but 500-700 calories of pure fat freaks me out.  (I know I know, it's the 90's calling and I should drop the mindf*#k, but it's hard to do when you're gaining fat and can't figure out why.)

I realize this is crazy long but it seems like some of these threads go on forever and ever with people asking probing questions to really understand the issue before trying to help.  I'm hoping to save that time and put it all out there now. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tagged:

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

1. do it

2. no idea about master cleanse get your gut checked or hormones maybe... inflammation can make you fat. allergies etc. the sweetpotatoe might kick you out nof ketosis. 100g of sweetpotatoe is like 20g carbs. with some exercise it will be good to have some carbs.

3. i would not worry about calories but where calories come from unless you want too cool down onflamation then less overall calories seem good ackording to selfhacked.com

4. 2 cups are perfekt. 3 cups are ok according to dave.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Maybe skip the BP IF and just eat.... you might not be getting enough and slowing down your metabolism

• Cut down to one BPC. I was gaining weight, I stabilized my weight by cutting down from a total of 180g of fat from 2 x double butter Bulletproof coffees.

What is your sleep like? Maybe try and improve it/hack it.

Replace the Metamucil with some probiotics and resistant starch.

Try doing a bulletproof fast for a full day using the rapid weight loss protocol.

Get all bloods tested, check for food insensitivity as well.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

1) You could add intervals, but will need more carbs (see new #5) so I don't think this is your solution

2) Probably did something slightly negative, but I don't think you're now metabolically broken or anything. You'd be having energy issues living off fat if you did long term damage. 

3) A lot of people disregard calories. You might be someone who can't, until you get things dialed in. You might try adding veggies, perhaps replace a BPC with a veggie shake. 

4) When I've lost fat quickly using BPC, I've only had one, and I've let myself get a little hungry before eating. Not a craving or anything, just being aware I might like to eat something for 1-3 hours before I actually do. For me, the BPC in the morning tells my body, "here, you're hungry, burn some fat." When I burn through that, I start burning body fat. If I eat more fat, I burn that instead of body fat. I find I can go 5+ hours on a BPC with 1tbsp butter and 1tbsp MCT and still have good mental clarity, so you might try that. I think it might not be the amount of fat, but that you're constantly supplying your body with food so that it never resorts to burning body fat. 

New #5) Are you aware of glycogen? It seems like you're paying attention to fairly small fluctuations in weight. It wasn't clear if you went on the cruise directly after the master cleanse, but let's say you did... you might have been glycogen depleted, and you wouldn't have had much food moving through your gut holding on to water. Glycogen is stored with water, and that combo can account for up to 5lbs of weight in men. Plus another 2lbs of carbs/water in your gut from what you ate on the cruise, and you only gained 1lb of fat from the cruise. Then your bachelor party where you gained 3lbs? That's EASILY glycogen. The additional chubbiness could be new fat, OR it could be some inflammation from your bad choices. So stop worrying so much about a couple pounds. Get a tape measure. The easiest way to burn through glycogen is HIIT, and the only way to get it back is carbs. With such a small amount of carbs (just a sweet potato) if you add daily intervals, you will most certainly require more carbs. If you ignore this, you can deplete your gut mucous lining, which, from experience, really sucks. 

Also sauteeing and especially with olive oil isn't BP, you're oxidizing the fats. Lower heat and switching to butter or ghee is better. But I don't think that's what's holding you back. 

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    Maybe ditch the daily sweet potato? If you want to lose fat you want to be ketogenic, only have starches on the cheat day. 6 days a week all carbs come from veggies and you'll lose the body fat quick.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

Are you sure it's the carbs causing this? Could also be the alcohol? 3. And, while most people would disagree, there are some of us who need to check our calories and fat intake to avoid fat gain. Sad but true, for me for example.

2. I don't think the cleanse damaged you on the long term but if you live on low calories for a week they should be at least nutritious, I don't think maple syrup offers anything else than sugar, it seems the worst cleanse option to me.

4. Happened to me. :( So it is possible. But undoing it is possible, too. :)

People above me gave some great advice.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Wow, thanks so much for the responses!!  This isn't a huge community, but most of you are hyperactive with hundreds of posts.  Really means a lot to get feedback like this.

Here are my takeaways from all posts:

1) I'm going to add the 3 intervals a week back in addition to the once per week BBS lift on Mondays.  No heavy lifting for those intervals, just bodyweight exercises at a high level of intensity. (Going to start doing Mike Chang's Insane Home Fat Loss program)

2) Cutting out the carbs entirely.  No more nightly sweet potato.  This is the only dramatic change from when I've done strict Paleo in the past and I had better results without any carbs (except veggies).  I'll do more research on how refeeding should alter this view, but I'll be carbless for at least 6 days a week.

3) Going to add a 4th egg to my omelet and stop sauteing my veggies in olive oil.  Switching to butter or ghee at lower heat.

4) Cut back to two cups of coffee instead of 3.  I'm going to wait until 10am instead of starting right at 8:30 or 9 and then have the 2nd cup around noon to carry me through till lunch at 2pm.

5) Adding two days of yoga per week on non-lift / interval days.

@Megs1768 - Do you have some documentation I can read regarding your comment?  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why IF might not be a good fit.  I see this mentioned every once and a while but it's not usually accompanied by an explanation.  It seem like the protocol of IF would be beneficial for anybody.

@Jason Miller - As for the alcohol, I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that it's a tool in losing fat, haha!  And yes, the bachelor party weekend was much higher consumption than normal and also included beer, which I almost never drink.  When I do drink it's usually red wine or tequila on the rocks with lime.  I'm thinking the heavy gluten content from all the beer got me.  In general, if not drinking is what it takes, then that's no problem.  I look at it like I'm very good at maintaining my body comp and that I can do anything for a month or two in order to drop the fat and get back to a place where I'm happy with myself.  With that said, I'm not sure my struggles can be pinned on the alcohol.  Afterall, I didn't drink at all for almost a month (can't remember the exact amount of days) when I first went BP and it wasn't like I dropped a ton of fat.  Clearly there are other factors, but wiping that out wasn't the big catalyst I thought it would be.  Also, it was only 3 years ago when I first went Paleo and dropped 25, actually, almost 30 lbs in two months while drinking wine almost every night.  I was following Ferriss' FHB thoughts on that.  I'm going to try to isolate one variable at a time, even if it takes me a bit longer so I can know for sure.  One week tests sounds like the right way to go.

I'm going to go research your other posts as I've seen your name referenced a lot.  But if you have a link handy for any discussion on "refeeding" and exactly what that should look like I'd love to dig in.  My experience with cheat days has not been good in the past.  Feels like I lose days of progress and I don't particularly enjoy the cravings I have for a day or two following.  Then again, I was doing the 4HB style cheat days and eating complete garbage sugar carbs.  Maybe I can change that association if I "cheat" with white rice (sushi) and a sweet potato one day a week.

@Lawrencep93 - What do you suggest for a good probiotic and resistant starch?  I've read so much contradictory information on probiotics that I stopped taking them.  Felt like a waste of money.

@ACH85 - That outlook on feeling a bit hungry and allowing the body more time to burn body fat between cups of coffee / meals resonates with me.  I'm definitely going to give that a try.  I've been thinking about cutting back on portion sizes because I eat that omelete at 2pm (3 eggs, but increasing to 4 per Jason's comments) and then I'm rarely hungry even at 7 or 8pm, but I force myself to eat a good dinner because I've always been worried about downregulating my metabolism by entering long term calorie restriction.  I've been to those ugly places, eating 1000 calories per day only to plateau--super frustrating.  However, it seems counterintuitive to eat if you're not actually hungry, ya know?  I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not a small guy either so I feel like I should be hungrier than I am.  Makes no sense to me that my girlfriend eats significantly more food than I do and I outweigh her by 70lbs.

As for glycogen, no, I'm not as familiar as it sounds like I should be.  Do you have any good resources you can point me towards?  I always feel skeptical of random google searches since there are so many ad dollars behind everything these days.  Trusted sources from like-minded people usually saves hours and hours of research.  Also, what were your symptoms / how did you know there was something wrong with your gut mucus lining? 

@everybody - Are you fans of wellnessfx.com?  I've never had anything more than the "standard" blood tests at my annual physical.  I'd really love to understand my body more but a lot of these tests are fairly expensive.  Is there an existing thread in this forum with recommendations on the most important tests to get?

I don't feel particularly "stressed" and I feel like I sleep well, but I have no idea what my cortisol levels would look like.  I'm due for my annual physical and I'm trying to figure out how to get the doctor to order as many tests as possible.  I know my insurance covers the first $500/year in diagnostics, so I'd like to try and max that out.  Any tips?

Anybody have any serious objections to anything listed above?  If so, mind sharing why?

Thanks again everybody!  I'm in a much better mood this morning just having some support.  Thanks!

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats

Wow, thanks so much for the responses!!  This isn't a huge community, but most of you are hyperactive with hundreds of posts.  Really means a lot to get feedback like this.

Here are my takeaways from all posts:

1) I'm going to add the 3 intervals a week back in addition to the once per week BBS lift on Mondays.  No heavy lifting for those intervals, just bodyweight exercises at a high level of intensity. (Going to start doing Mike Chang's Insane Home Fat Loss program)

2) Cutting out the carbs entirely.  No more nightly sweet potato.  This is the only dramatic change from when I've done strict Paleo in the past and I had better results without any carbs (except veggies).  I'll do more research on how refeeding should alter this view, but I'll be carbless for at least 6 days a week.

3) Going to add a 4th egg to my omelet and stop sauteing my veggies in olive oil.  Switching to butter or ghee at lower heat.

4) Cut back to two cups of coffee instead of 3.  I'm going to wait until 10am instead of starting right at 8:30 or 9 and then have the 2nd cup around noon to carry me through till lunch at 2pm.

5) Adding two days of yoga per week on non-lift / interval days.

@Megs1768 - Do you have some documentation I can read regarding your comment?  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why IF might not be a good fit.  I see this mentioned every once and a while but it's not usually accompanied by an explanation.  It seem like the protocol of IF would be beneficial for anybody.

@Jason Miller - As for the alcohol, I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that it's a tool in losing fat, haha!  And yes, the bachelor party weekend was much higher consumption than normal and also included beer, which I almost never drink.  When I do drink it's usually red wine or tequila on the rocks with lime.  I'm thinking the heavy gluten content from all the beer got me.  In general, if not drinking is what it takes, then that's no problem.  I look at it like I'm very good at maintaining my body comp and that I can do anything for a month or two in order to drop the fat and get back to a place where I'm happy with myself.  With that said, I'm not sure my struggles can be pinned on the alcohol.  Afterall, I didn't drink at all for almost a month (can't remember the exact amount of days) when I first went BP and it wasn't like I dropped a ton of fat.  Clearly there are other factors, but wiping that out wasn't the big catalyst I thought it would be.  Also, it was only 3 years ago when I first went Paleo and dropped 25, actually, almost 30 lbs in two months while drinking wine almost every night.  I was following Ferriss' FHB thoughts on that.  I'm going to try to isolate one variable at a time, even if it takes me a bit longer so I can know for sure.  One week tests sounds like the right way to go.

I'm going to go research your other posts as I've seen your name referenced a lot.  But if you have a link handy for any discussion on "refeeding" and exactly what that should look like I'd love to dig in.  My experience with cheat days has not been good in the past.  Feels like I lose days of progress and I don't particularly enjoy the cravings I have for a day or two following.  Then again, I was doing the 4HB style cheat days and eating complete garbage sugar carbs.  Maybe I can change that association if I "cheat" with white rice (sushi) and a sweet potato one day a week.

@Lawrencep93 - What do you suggest for a good probiotic and resistant starch?  I've read so much contradictory information on probiotics that I stopped taking them.  Felt like a waste of money.

@ACH85 - That outlook on feeling a bit hungry and allowing the body more time to burn body fat between cups of coffee / meals resonates with me.  I'm definitely going to give that a try.  I've been thinking about cutting back on portion sizes because I eat that omelete at 2pm (3 eggs, but increasing to 4 per Jason's comments) and then I'm rarely hungry even at 7 or 8pm, but I force myself to eat a good dinner because I've always been worried about downregulating my metabolism by entering long term calorie restriction.  I've been to those ugly places, eating 1000 calories per day only to plateau--super frustrating.  However, it seems counterintuitive to eat if you're not actually hungry, ya know?  I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not a small guy either so I feel like I should be hungrier than I am.  Makes no sense to me that my girlfriend eats significantly more food than I do and I outweigh her by 70lbs.

As for glycogen, no, I'm not as familiar as it sounds like I should be.  Do you have any good resources you can point me towards?  I always feel skeptical of random google searches since there are so many ad dollars behind everything these days.  Trusted sources from like-minded people usually saves hours and hours of research.  Also, what were your symptoms / how did you know there was something wrong with your gut mucus lining? 

@everybody - Are you fans of wellnessfx.com?  I've never had anything more than the "standard" blood tests at my annual physical.  I'd really love to understand my body more but a lot of these tests are fairly expensive.  Is there an existing thread in this forum with recommendations on the most important tests to get?

I don't feel particularly "stressed" and I feel like I sleep well, but I have no idea what my cortisol levels would look like.  I'm due for my annual physical and I'm trying to figure out how to get the doctor to order as many tests as possible.  I know my insurance covers the first $500/year in diagnostics, so I'd like to try and max that out.  Any tips?

Anybody have any serious objections to anything listed above?  If so, mind sharing why?

Thanks again everybody!  I'm in a much better mood this morning just having some support.  Thanks!

1 & 2 may not go so well together, personally I would just stick to 2. With the increased activity you will deplete glycogen (sugars stored in muscle tissue and liver) and may run into a real low energy situation by not refeeding carbs. If you just do 2, you can stay in ketosis and burn more fat with your walking.

This is what I do: BP IF every day, no starches 6 days a week, 1 hour walks daily, 1 Body by Science workout per week. Less is more.

•  

1 & 2 may not go so well together, personally I would just stick to 2. With the increased activity you will deplete glycogen (sugars stored in muscle tissue and liver) and may run into a real low energy situation by not refeeding carbs. If you just do 2, you can stay in ketosis and burn more fat with your walking.

This is what I do: BP IF every day, no starches 6 days a week, 1 hour walks daily, 1 Body by Science workout per week. Less is more.

This is a winning strategy. Mine is similar, i hit the weights heavy twice a week, walk whenever I can, and IF every day, no starches/carby meals.

Also, I lost a ton of fat prior to starting the weights. I used to just walk and do yoga, nothing intense, until my body fat came way down from just that, IF, and keto.

Keeping things simple is important, getting into the right mode with your diet and activities should reduce complexity/decisions/stress, not add more.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited June 2014

As others have said, 1 and 2 probably won't work out well. Let me elaborate: intervals, BBS to a lesser extent, and any home fat loss program will all burn glycogen (stored carbs.) So you'll be putting yourself into ketosis, then burning the last of your glycogen, then not replenishing it. When you are in ketosis, you still need a little bit of carb energy for a select few bodily processes. One of these is maintaining mucous. Mucous lines your gut, and it's what keeps undigested food particles (poop, basically) from getting into your blood stream. If you maintain a high level of activity and also restrict carbs in a big way, you can get leaky gut and develop new food allergies from it. When this happened to me, it was with daily intervals, weights 2x/week, and about 40g carbs a day. Worked well for 3-4 weeks, then what happened is first my eyes and sinuses felt really dry, then a day later I suddenly found myself with new weird acne all over my body and face, horrible diarrhea, and gained weight due to intestinal inflammatory response. It took me weeks of eating lots of carbs (and gaining fat) to correct this. I suspect our bodies will cut off mucous to the eyes and sinuses before the gut lining, since I'm guessing they're less important. The acne, diarrhea, and inflammation are all a result of leaky gut. So there's not much warning, but some. 

So if you want to try 1 and 2 together, please pay close attention to your eyes and sinuses, and refeed with carbs at the first sign of trouble. 

I wouldn't wait on the coffee in the AM. Getting calories of any kind first thing in the morning breaks your fast and kicks your metabolism on after it was downregulated during sleep. Drink coffee soon after waking, make it big/fatty enough that it lasts you until an hour or two before your planned lunch, and feel a little hungry for those one to two hours. When you are in fat burning mode, you shouldn't have hunger pangs, cravings, or reduced attention, because you'll be running on body fat, which everyone who isn't a bodybuilder on competition day has many pounds of.

This gets to my response to your @me comments. BP Intermittent Fasting (or any intermittent fasting) isn't necessarily caloric restriction, but it IS restricting calorie timing, or at least macronutrient timing. Now that I've been doing it for a long time, my body is used to it, but I still need to eat dinner a little earlier than my body is asking for it to maintain my feeding window. When I first started, it involved some hunger before my eating window started, and significant effort to eat my planned foods before my window closed. This is part of the plan: you are forcing your body to make use of what you eat in your eating window, and then putting it in a position to burn body fat outside of your eating window. So yes, at first (for me at least) it felt a little counterintuitive, and there was some minor hunger, but it sure beats severe caloric restriction. 

I don't have a good, complete glycogen resource, it was just something I studied over time. The wikipedia page on glycogen isn't inaccurate though, so it's not a bad place to start.