How To Get A Tan?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I just want to say first of all that I am not an experienced bio hacker. I should also add that I am a young male with somewhat sensitive skin. I have looked at other topics on skin health and sun tanning but all I found was how to prevent and heal sun burns. However I was wondering how long much sun exposure (outside) is needed in order to activate the production of melanin.

Also I would be pretty interested in a protocol for optimal response and darkening of the skin while not damaging it. For instance should I stay 10 minutes in the sun twice a day, or perhaps less or more. Lastly, if I keep sun exposure low (less than 15 minutes at a time) is it still necessary to use sun screen? 

Thank you in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

Get enough vitamin A, and I think fish oil is helpful, too. Cod liver oil combines the two.

I was in the same situation, getting burned every summer.

Besides the extra nutrition, what helped: when the weather got sunnier, early spring, I began to get outside in a bikini around NOON. I started with 15-20 minutes, worked my way up, making sure that I NEVER burn. By the time the sun got stronger and it was summer I could stay outside for an hour around noon without burning. I also built up a nice tan.

This year I could begin with over an hour without any burning, and before most people would have ever thought of sunbathing I already had a great tan.

Build up slowly, and you may find that the next year you begin sunbathing with a huge powerup in your skin.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Take Astaxanthin and limit exposure to 30 minutes a day. Depending on where you live, this may or may not be enough to produce a tan.

http://amzn.to/1lhfQh1

As a side note, I've been taking astaxanthin the past two years and have not experienced a burn yet. That said, I always get out of the sun when I notice a slight pink color in my skin. 

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• I own one of these guy

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/

It is a Tanning both from Dr Mercola which has less UV and safer light spectrum. Supposedly it is endorsed by the Vitamin D Council. It does not tan as well as a tanning both with the harsher light, but it is enough and as an Irish White dude I have not gotten burnt since (with reasonable sun ex-poser), which impresses me. Ofcourse I eat a BP diet too

• I'd like one of those but can't really afford to spend $1,500 on one. 

I own one of these guy

http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/

It is a Tanning both from Dr Mercola which has less UV and safer light spectrum. Supposedly it is endorsed by the Vitamin D Council. It does not tan as well as a tanning both with the harsher light, but it is enough and as an Irish White dude I have not gotten burnt since (with reasonable sun ex-poser), which impresses me. Ofcourse I eat a BP diet too

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Get enough vitamin A, and I think fish oil is helpful, too. Cod liver oil combines the two.

I was in the same situation, getting burned every summer.

Besides the extra nutrition, what helped: when the weather got sunnier, early spring, I began to get outside in a bikini around NOON. I started with 15-20 minutes, worked my way up, making sure that I NEVER burn. By the time the sun got stronger and it was summer I could stay outside for an hour around noon without burning. I also built up a nice tan.

This year I could begin with over an hour without any burning, and before most people would have ever thought of sunbathing I already had a great tan.

Build up slowly, and you may find that the next year you begin sunbathing with a huge powerup in your skin.

Whenever I eat spinach I look like i've been out in the sun too much  :mrgreen:

• I find that as long my vitamin D levels are at a good spot that I dont burn from being in the sun, or at least it takes a really long time.
  • Thanks for all the advice, but does anyone know what can be done to avoid the formation of moles, which I believed is caused by uneven distribution of melanin? 

• Use an organic skin care product to protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun. https://vitality26.com

• Im 28 years old live in Ontario Canada I never once had a tan until last year. It was after a water fast of 11 days and a liver cleanse. Im actually as dark as everyone around me now. I know its connected to the liver greatly because this year I struggled again until I got into ketosis and cleaned my liver. My active 125 is still low but I have colour. Another thing ive used it vitamin B3 while in the sun it causes flushing so perhaps the extra blood flow is helping transport the cholesterol, also don’t shower for hours following. Get sunshine in the eyes and look up the tadpoles study having to do with the pineal gland and skin pigmentation

• Thanks for the suggestions.

• Thanks a lot for the suggestion