Organizing Vitamins For Travel?

I'm going on an 18-day trip to Italy next week (ahh soo soon!!) and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for packing vitamins. I have a pill organizer, but it's only for one week. My plan is to fill it and bring extra vitamins in snack size baggies, then refill as needed. Is there another better way of organizing vitamins for travel taking into consideration I don't want to waste a lot of time and also don't want to take up too much space. Thanks.

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I like breaking everything down into "morning" and "night" baggies (sharpie will work on snack bags) and then I just grab one in the morning and night and take everything in it. 

Obviously you could do a midday baggy too, or put dates on them if there are supplements you take weekly or every other day or something. 

That said, I have always been worried about loose pills in baggies in the event of a search. Wondering if anyone has experienced that? My understanding is that you'll have a much smoother search if your pills are in their original bottles. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

My new supplement guide has a chapter about traveling.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited June 2014

Put them in balloons. Joking of course. Keeping them in their original bottles rather than sandwich bags is probably a better option as ACH85 said.

• Vitamins and medication do not need to be in original bottle. You really think the TSA agents have medical degrees or pharm D to know any better? I put vitamins in labeled ziploc bags so they don't rattle around. I have pictures of all bottled on my phone and backed up on Dropbox just in case of medical emergency. If I had any scripts I'd save a picture of the bottle and script also.
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Perhaps not TSA, I was talking about cops. Let's say you are going to a multi-day music festival, bringing supplements, and you are searched by police. Think they'll like multiple baggies with unlabeled pills? With something like weed, just the presence multiple baggies is intent to distribute. 

Photos/copies of all bottles and scripts is probably good enough though. 

• Guys, relax. We want organizing ideas here!

Bottles are a waste of space and weight. I am about to go to the smoke shop to buy some higher quality zip-lock bags ("jewelry bags" also in different sizes) rather than use regular sandwich bags, which definitely deteriorate and break over a short amount of time. One problem I've encountered is the sharpie writing coming off, so I loose track of what is what. I could out a paper note inside the bag itself.

I think these sorts of bags would be appropriate for powder too, like whey powder. Hmm. Not sure, but will check it out.

If you are worried about TSA, I would say it would be simply enough to have them labeled, which you will need to do anyways. As has already been said, the TSA website is fine with that.

Another option for short trips would be to get some dog-poop bags and make the morning and night sacks. That would be very convenient! Tie them off with a knot or with some twisty ties, cut off the excess bag. My dad used to do that for business trips.

• jimboniusjimbonius
    edited July 2014

Ditched the bottles, gained some small baggies from a crappy jewelry store for $3. (Off menu items)

It's a little ridiculous, I know.. The enormity. I'm dedicated, one might might say.

tHHIwEx.jpg

I also packed a sandwich bag full of collagen and another with whey concentrate packed inside of a gallon zip. Boom.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Wow! I honestly thought your previous post was satire...

• This is how I roll also. Maybe a little lighter though.
  • J-rockJ-rock
    edited July 2014

I thought medication had to be in the original bottle. Especially antidepressants and painkillers.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

OMG... On my last trip all my pills fit into one supp bottle. Not sure how un-BP this makes me. But it was light! :-)

• I've had the same issues for extended travel. Asked the forum a while back and got some good responses 

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5100-pack-organize-supplements-efficiently-for-frequent-travel/

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Ditched the bottles, gained some small baggies from a crappy jewelry store for $3. (Off menu items)

It's a little ridiculous, I know.. The enormity. I'm dedicated, one might might say.

tHHIwEx.jpg

I also packed a sandwich bag full of collagen and another with whey concentrate packed inside of a gallon zip. Boom.

PQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----

I have gone from baggies to pill organizers. I now have 3 doses daily and I find it is easier. If you do bag, then I prefer to bag per session, rather than per vitamin otherwise you waste too much time (remembering and) counting when on the road.  

• Glad to see this post, I've been thinking about it a lot - literally half my suitcase is supplements these days. It's a true traveling pain.

My ideas and what I've started working on are:

1. Eliminate: Limit to supplements that have measurable impact or significant researched benefit. I've cut a few 'just moderately useful' items in favor of carrying more of the high impact ones. (this may be more important to me, because I'm on the move and it can be tricky to get restocked sometimes depending on where I am - so I prefer to carry more of important things to avoid running out).

2. Delete bottles: As Jimbonius showed with his crazy pic, bottles take up a huge amount of space. These most certainly have to go.

3. Delete pills/ caps: I've steadily being moving some of my supps to small bags of powder (you buy directly in this form from bulk powder suppliers. This isn't possible for all supplements, but for a good number of the foundation ones it is).

4. Organizer: Right now I'm looking into what kind of organizer I can find to put the pouches into for easy access/ put back in storage. Having them flying around my suitcase isn't working. One idea is the binder books you get with plastic pouch sleeves, so I could have pouches of each type of supplement in each and easily be able to find/ store.

Keep the ideas coming, I'd love to crack this... would save a lot of time.

• I am heading around the world for 6 weeks starting late Dec. Was thinking of taking a 6 week break except for maybe a HQ multi and maybe Cod Liver Oil. This thread is making me rethink that!

• I've been travelling on business for the last 17 years in my career in management consulting.

I've tried different approaches, including baggies shown in the picture above.  I really found the GoStack stackable jars manufactured by Blender Bottle.  I bought the 40cc and 60cc jars in three different colors to represent morning, afternoon, and nighttime.  The color coding makes the jars really easy to pack and grab/go in the airport or hotel room.  I really like them a lot and highly recommend them.

• Usually, I prefer to have all peels in the original bottles, rarely - in labeled ziploc bags.

• @jimbonius said:

Very impressive!!!

@OP - you can always just get another couple of weekly pill organizers and not have to worry about it on your vacation.
    When I travel, I put my bottles in the gallon baggies, but will try and replicate the pic above from now on to save space.

• Has anyone found that putting pills in zip locks or small (unlabeled) containers works when traveling to various countries in Asia (or elsewhere) works? I can just imagine going thru customs in Japan or China and having all my supps confiscated. Definitely don't want to deal with that.