Collagen In Hot Coffee - Slower Absorption?

Hi,

I was reading about how collagen becomes gelatinized in hot liquid, and therefore becomes more difficult for our bodies to absorb. 

Has anyone read/heard Dave Asprey mention this at all as it seems like placing the collagen into our bulletproof coffee is what's being recommended?

Tagged:

Comments

• http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-mistakes-butter-coffee-fatty-coffee-and-more/

"On most days, a pure fat Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting “breakfast” is an optimal choice, but on days you work out and the day after either put Upgraded™ Collagen Protein in your HOT Bulletproof® Coffee or Upgraded Whey 2.0 Protein in your ICED Bulletproof® Coffee. Getting this right seriously optimizes your body and mind in the morning

For an ultimate Bulletproof ice cream like consistency, blend in one or two raw egg yolks BEFORE the whey."

• Anyone have research showing the workout recovery benefits of collagen? I noticed keifer dismisses collagen as a useless protein in his books. Granted keifer makes some dumb suggestions, but why would he specifically bash the collagen?
  • Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited June 2014

Gelatin does not equal collagen. Upgraded collagen has been hydrolyzed and most proteins sufficiently hydrolyzed (whether by heat, acid, or enzyme have their molecular weight reduced) will resist the gel formation, even in hot liquids. Gelatin is just heat-treated collagen and is largely intact and forms gels in hot water. Whey, and casein to a lesser extent, are sensitive to heat  above 160°F and will coagulate and precipitate at pH ~4.5. Iced coffee/drinks get whey, hot drinks/coffee get hydrolyzed (upgraded or equivalent) collagen. If you're making candy/chews use plain gelatin or non-hydrolyzed collagen.

Hi,

I was reading about how collagen becomes gelatinized in hot liquid, and therefore becomes more difficult for our bodies to absorb. 

Has anyone read/heard Dave Asprey mention this at all as it seems like placing the collagen into our bulletproof coffee is what's being recommended?