Degree Choice

Good afternoon all,

This is my first post as a member! 

I've been officially Bulletproof for just over 6 months now; my wife and I made the transistion around christmas time last year.  It's been a remarkable transformation for our lives, with minor pitfalls of course.  I'm currently in the US Navy and it's treated me very well.  I'm planning on finishing my enlistment (5 years total) and enrolling in school full time to finish up my undergrad to join the real world.  My passion is in Finance, specifically in investments and portfolio management.  I'm set up to attend T.C.U. in Texas which has a great BBA program, and I have all sorts of VA benefits that will pay all the way up to P.H.D. level. 

Here's where the fear comes in.  All the research i've been doing on jobs pertaining to these fields seem to require EXCESSIVE work hours (up to 80 hours a week).  I've been reading 4HWW as well so now i'm all sorts of confused.

I've also been doing research into Bioengineering seeing how I love the concept of biohacking and I believe with the knowledge learned through a degree like this, I could help make further developments in this new growing field. 

I'm seeking advice from anyone with a higher level of knowledge in this area; I'm 26 with my AA completed.  I have 11 months left on my contract before I make the leap.  The GI bill is 4 years of liquid gold; i'm just trying to make the right purchase.

~Kevin Dawson

AT2(AW/SW) USN

Kevin Dawson

AT2(AW/SW) USN

Comments

• Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, Bulletproof Monk/Kevin! Always good to have new members.

I know I'm quick to jump in and welcome you today, before members have had a chance to respond to your question. If by any chance you do need any assistance, let the moderators know.

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • Hi Kevin,
    I think your career concerns are legitimate. 80 hours of work per week is indeed a tremendous sacrifice and that takes a toll on a person physically and emotionally (not to mention socially). But before you panic and think all finance careers will lead you down the path of workaholism, just bear in mind that the employer and the specific job make all the difference.

My undergrad degree is in Accounting and I have an MBA. Mosst of my career has been spent in non-profit healthcare and local government. While I don't think I've ever worked 80 hours in a week (there were times earlier in my career where I did work close to 60, but mostly not on an ongoing basis for months on end), I suppose I could have had a more lucrative career in a for-profit company. In the 90's, I had friends who worked for Microsoft (actually, I still do -- neighbors, former classmates). Holy Moly, the perks were great during the tech boom, but Microsoft sucked their lives away. I think it all depends on where you land and what you want out of your career, where you are willing to go and what you are willing to put up with.

If you want to pursue "the big bucks" on Wall Street, of course you will work your life away. But it sounds like you may be looking for more balance and not the big bucks. I think business-related careers are still good choices and whatever you do choose, you can find ways to balance your job with your home life. Employers realize these that Gen Y and the Millennials may not be as willing to sacrifice their likes like the Boomers and the Gen X'ers have. Just as an aside, we are now also starting to see the beginning of the wave of Baby Boomer retirements, and I think that will open up some great opportunities for the younger generation.

So are you stationed at the Navy Base in Everett, WA? If so, cool! I am a local in the area, working in Everett, living in east Snohomish County.

Good luck to you :)

Mary

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

4HWW is a marketing "lie." You can't get to 4HWW without the countless 80HWW+ or amazing luck/timing. It's just not how it works.

The more demanding your career time-wise, the more important sleep and off-time becomes. You don't need to look far to see how fast people in high octane fields age. Even if in expensive cars or whatnot. I think the worst mistake all of them make is that they don't get out of it soon enough. But it's hard to get out when you are making big bucks. And then you don't earn the big bucks until you have slaved in a field for many years.

IMO, there is no free lunch in life... it's all trade-offs.

However, we tend to gravitate towards things that are psychologically suited for us and there's not much you can do. If you settle for something more "sensible" (i.e. not as stressful), you'll either regret it, or compensate it in other ways (i.e. get into motocross and get maimed, hehe).

Regardless of what you choose, I think, you gotta pick something you can imagine sticking with for many years knowing full well that it might become a chore one day. Probably sooner than you imagine when you have to grind day-in-day-out. You know, the whole 10,000 hours/Gladwell thing (=world class).

I'd say, a decent long term plan might be to get into whatever field you like with the intention of branching out into your own business. After some years when you know the field inside out and have potential clients ready and waiting, you just open shop and do it your way. Running a business obviously opens up a new can of worms because field expertise != managerial/marketing expertise (which is actually more important in the context of business).

There's no answer... :)

• Thank you both for your responses.  

Mary, i'm not in Everett, i'm on Whidbey Island, but still really close which is cool!  I understand what you're saying about "not all finance careers entail 80 hour work weeks" and it makes the choice easier.  It's nice to know i'm not doomed to that extreme; deployments were 12 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end so i'm familiar with what it's like.  

It's funny you mention the Gen-Y group, I've heard we're the worst generation yet! I guess all the "you can be anything when you grow up!" talk has led us to feel entitled to only do what we choose, and not what  actually needs to be done.  

Suntoucher, I agree with the phrase "there is no free lunch... it's all trade offs"  I also like your idea of focusing on eventually branching out into my own business.  I believe with that frame of mind, I may view situations with a different light.  It's like when I first learned about investing, I started viewing everything around me as a potential investment.  This concept really opened up my eyes when i traveled through Europe and the Middle East.  

I appreciate the inputs and I feel myself already gravitating towards what i'm psychologically suited for; I just have to allow it to happen now.

Kevin Dawson

AT2(AW/SW) USN

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

4HWW is fundamentally flawed. If you truly love what you do, why would you only want to spend 4 hours doing it? Go for that 80 hour work week, brother.. as long as you don't die trying.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• SystemSystem mod
    edited July 2014
    Disagree. Working 80 hours a week is extreme, no matter what.

Basically, you're working from 7AM to 10:10 PM every night, five days a week; that doesn't even include commute time. If you include commute time, you're leaving the house around 6:00 AM (factoring in traffic) and coming home around 11 PM.

Eff that. You'll have no time to partake in other passions in life. Even if you love your job, you'll grow to hate it.

4HWW is fundamentally flawed. If you truly love what you do, why would you only want to spend 4 hours doing it? Go for that 80 hour work week, brother.. as long as you don't die trying.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    edited July 2014

Disagree. Working 80 hours a week is extreme, no matter what.

Basically, you're working from 7AM to 10:10 PM every night, five days a week; that doesn't even include commute time. If you include commute time, you're leaving the house around 6:00 AM (factoring in traffic) and coming home around 11 PM.

Eff that. You'll have no time to partake in other passions in life. Even if you love your job, you'll grow to hate it.

Haha the 80 hour part was merely a jest, that's why I added the "or die trying" part. I agree with you there though, it's probably not sustainable. A life needs balance.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.