Shorter Sleep After Starting Diet

edited July 2014 in Sleep Hacking

Hi,

For a month ago I started with BP coffee and diet, I have lost some weight and feeling great. I do not follow diet 100%, especially during weekends I do consume alcohol and go full range BF food without fasting.

The last weeks I have noticed that I sleep little, approximately 5-6 hours on average ( i do log it with fitbit). Thus my question if this is normal effect or I am doing something wrong? I do not feel tired though, so I do not suffer, but I got worried since I think it is too short sleeping time for a long term run.

EDIT: I'm 35 male, I did also quite smoking at the same time, however, I use nicotine chewing gum.

Tagged:

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Nicotine and nicotine cessation can impact sleep. 

It's not normal, although increased energy levels are. I wouldn't worry too much if you are feeling good, but definitely keep an eye on your energy levels and address any drop-off.

Maybe see if you can make any correlations in your tracking, especially with carb timing and amounts. I've heard of some people getting crappy sleep due to low blood sugar and solving it by taking raw honey or almond butter before bed, perhaps you are waking up early because of low blood sugar. When I go super low carb I seem to get worse sleep. 

If your low amount of sleep changes with changing activity level (like you sleep longer on days you exercise) I would take that as a sign that your body is just doing its thing and self-regulating. If it doesn't, then perhaps this is something to address. 

• edited July 2014

Nicotine and nicotine cessation can impact sleep. 

It's not normal, although increased energy levels are. I wouldn't worry too much if you are feeling good, but definitely keep an eye on your energy levels and address any drop-off.

Maybe see if you can make any correlations in your tracking, especially with carb timing and amounts. I've heard of some people getting crappy sleep due to low blood sugar and solving it by taking raw honey or almond butter before bed, perhaps you are waking up early because of low blood sugar. When I go super low carb I seem to get worse sleep. 

If your low amount of sleep changes with changing activity level (like you sleep longer on days you exercise) I would take that as a sign that your body is just doing its thing and self-regulating. If it doesn't, then perhaps this is something to address. 

Thank you for reply!

The days I work out I eat extra meal just after training and then main meal around 8PM couple of hours before sleep. Maybe the amount of carbs is too little? I normally eat very little starch if any at all, like half to one carrot.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Starch ≠ carbs, but if one carrot is all the carbs you are getting, that's very low and requires regular carb refeeds. 

daily net carbs <50g = refeed 150g at least once a week, some people need more

daily net carbs <100g = good chance of needing a weekly refeed, some people do OK without it, might depend on activity

daily net carbs 100 - 150g = see how you feel, may not need a refeed

daily net carbs >300 = weight gain, metabolic syndrome 

• Starch ≠ carbs, but if one carrot is all the carbs you are getting, that's very low and requires regular carb refeeds. 

daily net carbs <50g = refeed 150g at least once a week, some people need more

daily net carbs <100g = good chance of needing a weekly refeed, some people do OK without it, might depend on activity

daily net carbs 100 - 150g = see how you feel, may not need a refeed

daily net carbs >300 = weight gain, metabolic syndrome 

Thank you!

I will adjust carb  consumption and see how it does. I was definitely under your values. 

• Thank you!

I will adjust carb  consumption and see how it does. I was definitely under your values. 

Hey did increasing your daily net carb intake help the sleep. I generally feel great but seem to wake up very early regardless of when I go to sleep. 

What foods do you get your net carbs from? 

• Hey did increasing your daily net carb intake help the sleep. I generally feel great but seem to wake up very early regardless of when I go to sleep. 

What foods do you get your net carbs from? 

Sorry did not see notification until now :/

I take carrots, rice and yum for carbs. I did increased amount and try to keep it around 50-100, sometimes more.