Bulletproof Coconut Crisps/chips

I was at Wholefoods yesterday and picked up a bag of those coconut chips that's like $3 for a tiny little portion.  Most coconut chips have some sort of added sugars.  

So I got some dried coconut flakes by Bobs Red Mill and I toasted it in a skillet with grassfed ghee and added Himalayan Pink Salt.

Let it cool to get crispy but its good hot too.  Tastes like buttery popcorn.

Easy and delicious!  And you got your bulletproof fats in dry snack form!

Comments

• I wouldn't call that bulletproof unfortunately.

What do you mean?  It's on the green side of the bulletproof food list so doesn't that make it bulletproof?  I'm not selling it or anything. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Toasting in a skillet probably involves high heat, so it is not on the green side for cooking. Whole coconuts are good to go, but pre-packaged chips/flakes are more susceptible to mold. 

"Bulletproof" = optimal, though. Your snack is certainly a lot better than most. I wouldn't make it a daily staple food, but if it makes you happy and you don't notice any bad effects, personally I'd have it occasionally.

I still lightly scramble my eggs. 

• Toasting in a skillet probably involves high heat, so it is not on the green side for cooking. Whole coconuts are good to go, but pre-packaged chips/flakes are more susceptible to mold. 

"Bulletproof" = optimal, though. Your snack is certainly a lot better than most. I wouldn't make it a daily staple food, but if it makes you happy and you don't notice any bad effects, personally I'd have it occasionally.

Wow I keep learning something new here.  I knew it was bad for meat, but I didn't think about it for coconuts. But I guess that makes sense. 

I'll make these in place of popcorn for movies as a treat:-) 

Thanks!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

And this is why you'll never truly be a part of this community.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I cook my eggs as well so sue me.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I don't even know what to believe anymore. I feel betrayed.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I still lightly scramble my eggs. 

I don't even know what to believe anymore. I feel betrayed.

tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited July 2014

Welcome to Bulletproof!  You are on the right track Sunshine in using few ingredients and combining them to make a snack.  Cooking method and quality of ingredients should also be considered and just as important on all of your meal ideas.  I am now trying to come up with some sort of coconut snack based on this, so thanks!

p.s. I have learned a lot from posting recipes and seeing what works and what doesn't, please don't stop posting new ones and asking questions!

Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.