Aniracetam And Noopept Experiences

My experiences.  Lots of good and lots of bad, all mixed together.  This is not greatly organized.  It's just a brain dump I just made.  Maybe something will be meaningful to someone.

Started Thursday 7/10/14

Overall, at first I didn't notice anything.  I wanted the lights to turn on and feel like my brain woke up from a long slumber!  But no.

Day 2 I thought I was a little more focused but it was subtle, and subtle enough to be considered placebo.  But strangely, it seemed like I was able to direct my attention more easily than usual.  Also, I remember thinking that I felt a little bit calmer and willing to talk quietly.  More like  a confidence that came over me.  I also noticed that I was sleepier than normal.  My nights were very restful but I was wishing I could take a nap during the day, as well.

Day 2-5 (or so) - I was noticing the effects more than at first, but I was noticing that my mind was quicker, but also missing things.  I kept feeling like I was forgetting something.  I was unconfident during typing thinking that I was missing things, creating typos, and making mistakes.  I kept having to double-check things.  My mind was going too fast to proof-read reliably.  During conversations I would begin to feel like I only wanted to listen, sometimes.  Other times, I'd get talking and then I'd really want to keep talking.  When reflecting on conversations, I was realizing that I didn't share pertinent information that the conversation would have benefitted from.  Things I would normally have remembered to mention were overlooked, until much later when I could quietly reflect on it, and it was too late.

I had a day this week (7/14 ish) where I was very mentally jittery.  I did quasi-Bulletproof Coffee (Peet's with butter and coconut oil) and aniracetam mixed in (or attempted to mix, as it does not mix well at all).  It took until after lunch before I began to feel normal again.  I was jittery, but not physically jumpy.  But scatter-brained and not wanting to focus on work.  Once the jitteriness wore off, I was reading from one of my techie books and I was speed reading with ease.  I was able to turn off my brain's voice and fly over words and soak them in.  On a related note, I remember a particular concept that has baffled me for years (Kerberos, for any techies), which I never really understood and never needed to understand because it almost never came up in my job, but that day I read about it and it made sense to me and I can finally remember it.  Previously, I had a mental block on that topic.  I have no idea why.

Spacey - I do get spacey from aniracetam, as well as noopept.  Today, was a noopept only day (7/18/14) I was getting tired and felt like I was going into dream state.  There were lots of voices around me at work and they seemed almost like they were echoing.  It reminded me of being a kid and falling asleep at a family gathering.  You hear all the voices but they just turn into a noise backdrop, similar to how white noise is used.  People were talking around me and to me, and although I would talk back, for the most part, I didn't want to.  I wasn't not fully myself.  After that, I went back to my desk and wanted to conk out.  I strained to stay awake, and then got some coffee.  Finally, after having the coffee, I felt awake and normal again.  More normal than I had felt all day.

Back to aniracetam - Senses were greatly enhanced.  I recognized and pinpointed smells, which I normally cannot do.  I had a very basic meal of chicken and potatoes with sour cream and asked my wife if it was exceptionally tasty this time.  She said 'no'.  I was loving it.  The flavors were coming together like magic… for me.  I told her it's probably the aniracetam.  Sensual feelings were also enhanced.  It was like I could feel more than normal.  It was easier to take-in and enjoy the feelings, also.  My vision was pretty normal, but my eyes were catching things that I'd normally miss.  For example, I would turn to look at something, and as I would turn my head back, as my eyes would speed past the things I was not trying to look at, something would catch my eye.  I would then think, "where did I just see that?".  Then, I'd look back to find whatever it was and it would require five or ten seconds to identify it.  It was like my automatic mind was more powerful than normal.

Certain things seem to stick in my brain better than before.  Names, for example.  Also, I was able to recall quite vividly some things on a table during our pot-luck lunch today, even several hours later.  That was different for me.

After taking the aniracetam and noopept, I tell myself that I don't like it because I feel like a space cadet.  Then, it wears off and I feel pretty good.  I cannot figure out yet if I'm better off.  I need to keep tweaking the doses.  Probably a low dose is best for me, but so far, I don't know if I will continue these things or not.

On a side note, noopept smells like old lady perfume and tastes like chewing asprin, or maybe worse.

Comments

• So, just to give another update, I attempted a very low dose of aniracetam this morning and evening.  My idea of a low dose is about 100-180mg.  I use the little white scoop that came with my aniracetam, which is said to be 50-90mg per scoop.  I don't have a scale.

Today I felt pretty great, with the exception of being slightly sleepy until noon or 1pm.  Again, I'm noticing that it seems to be after lunch I start feeling better.  (Perhaps I should only take it with a full meal.)  I have no quantifiable measurements I can give, but I definitely did not feel spacey and my mood was relaxed.  Later on in the day I really felt energized.

Around 8pm (less than an hour ago) I took another 100-180mg.  I'm wondering if it will have the sleepy effect for bedtime, so we'll see how that goes.  I will try to report back tomorrow.

• Last night, as stated above, I took my ani dose close to bedtime.  I did sleep well but I think I felt a bit puffy when I woke up.  I'm not yet blaming the aniracetam, but I'm just logging it in case it become a pattern.

Similar report today, 7/20/14, as yesterday.  I took 100-180mg this morning (2 little white scoops), except this time I had breakfast.  I normally skip breakfast, or maybe have high fat yogurt or BP coffee.  Today I had toast and eggs with my aniracetam.  I felt great, clear, focused, and awake.  For the record, there was at least one other day where I had eggs with a higher dose of aniracetam and got brain fog and sleepy, so I don't think it was the choline.

About 5pm today I had another 100-180mg and still feel great.

A positive effect that I think I'm having is the ability to explain complex things more easily.  I've noticed several times where I just came out and explained something that normally would have been a bit of a struggle for me to explain.  After saying it I felt satisfied with having expressed myself effectively.  So, aniracetam either lowers your standards or makes you explain things better.  :wink:

• Another update:

I believe my body is adjusting to the aniracetam, but not in the sense of building up tolerance or immunity to it.  I have slightly upped my dose without feeling brain fog or tiredness.  It's still incredibly low, at around 450mg per day, spread out over three doses.

One consistent improvement I have noticed is my ability to taste and enjoy food, as mentioned in my first post in this thread.  After reading more about the effects of aniracetam, I discovered that it modulates the glutamate receptors, and might have an action similar to monosodium GLUTAMATE (MSG).  I'm not relating the two in any other ways than the name and their effect of increasing flavors.  It could be coincidence, but holy crap, food is amazing to me.  Interestingly, I don't feel drawn in to overeat.  When I'm done, I'm done.  So it's not making me gain weight or anything.

If I could summarize another aspect of it, you may or may not feel it working, but you will probably notice it is working.  I have noticed an ability to catch on to more complex ideas.  Unfortunately, it's not like Limitless where my brain does the work without effort on my part, and I sit back and reap the benefits (money and sex).  Instead, I am able to read something that might have otherwise been confusing, and I can sort out the confusion to make sense of it.  Then, I can relay the information clearly and articulately.  It seems to improve language for me.

This morning I had slightly more than days previous.  Only about 25% more, so maybe around 150-200mg.  We'll see if it brings back fatigue or just makes stuff better.

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence
    edited July 2014

Just curious, but are you taking anything alongside either of the two nootropics? I've heard a lot of people mention that Aniracetam made them drowsy when they were first starting to take it, but that subsided after a week or so. The brain fog could be do to insufficient choline or too much, if you eat eggs having a few more in the morning could be helpful before taking Aniracetam.

• Hello Techie friend,

I also a techie .. just wanted to ask you a quick question. When you first started taking aniracetam did you take that alone? The reason why i'm asking is that I found this forum because I started to take aniracetam about 2 days ago. I started because piracetam didn't work for me. Someone on reddit told me to check out bulletprooff coffee. 

That it would help with the aniracetam ... 

I order "Bulletproof® Coffee Starter Kit - Brain Octaneâ„¢ Edition" today ... I'm planning to start drinking this coffee once a day with the aniracetam in the morning. Right now my dosage is 250mg 3x a day. Morning, lunch, and night time. I'm in the process of getting the 70-410 MS cert so any kind of help would be awesome for me. 

Would like to hear from you to see how you're doing and any feedback you might have. 

Other thing the sleepy part is normal i think because the last 2 days I been on it i get sleepy but then wake up really quick (5 mins) I guess that will go away at some point. One other thing if you know at what point do you increate the dosage? I never really could find a clear answer when to increase the dosage. 

• Just curious, but are you taking anything alongside either of the two nootropics? I've heard a lot of people mention that Aniracetam made them drowsy when they were first starting to take it, but that subsided after a week or so. The brain fog could be do to insufficient choline or too much, if you eat eggs having a few more in the morning could be helpful before taking Aniracetam.

The brain fog has subsided and tiredness has as well.  I have tried it with and without eggs.  One day I got very tired with the eggs and another day I did not.  I don't believe there is a connection, at least in my body.

So, currently, all of those effects are gone and I'm enjoying the benefits of the aniracetam.

• Hello Techie friend,

I also a techie .. just wanted to ask you a quick question. When you first started taking aniracetam did you take that alone? The reason why i'm asking is that I found this forum because I started to take aniracetam about 2 days ago. I started because piracetam didn't work for me. Someone on reddit told me to check out bulletprooff coffee. 

That it would help with the aniracetam ... 

I order "Bulletproof® Coffee Starter Kit - Brain Octaneâ„¢ Edition" today ... I'm planning to start drinking this coffee once a day with the aniracetam in the morning. Right now my dosage is 250mg 3x a day. Morning, lunch, and night time. I'm in the process of getting the 70-410 MS cert so any kind of help would be awesome for me. 

Would like to hear from you to see how you're doing and any feedback you might have. 

Other thing the sleepy part is normal i think because the last 2 days I been on it i get sleepy but then wake up really quick (5 mins) I guess that will go away at some point. One other thing if you know at what point do you increate the dosage? I never really could find a clear answer when to increase the dosage. 

I did take it alone the first time.  It was at night so I'm positive I didn't have any coffee with it or anything.  Also, I didn't get my noopept until days later (which, by the way, I haven't touched again after my day of feeling so weird).

If you're like me, the low dose you mentioned will be beneficial with your BP coffee, although I remember a day where I had the full dose of Aniracetam with BP Coffee and was having trouble directing my attention and felt very "off".  Play with the doses when it's safe to screw up your day.  In othe words, for someone to say "Hey, I have a big test today so I think I'll double-up on my Aniracetam" would be a bad idea.  Personally, I don't do BP coffee everyday, but only because I don't want to wake the kids in the early morning with a BLENDER NOISE!!!  :)  But I do drink coffee everyday.

Anyway, I don't know if it was a good idea increase my dosage if it's working as is, but I did bump it up anyway.  My theory is to ratchet it up to see if the effects get better or stay the same, or worsen.  Today will be a good experiment in some ways because I didn't get enough sleep last night.  The Ani will make me either tired or focused.

Best of luck to you on your certification.  Personally, I just signed up for an ITIL certification because I though the Ani would help me focus on the most boring mundane crap the technology world has to offer.  That will be a good test, as well.

The brain fog has subsided and tiredness has as well.  I have tried it with and without eggs.  One day I got very tired with the eggs and another day I did not.  I don't believe there is a connection, at least in my body.

So, currently, all of those effects are gone and I'm enjoying the benefits of the aniracetam.

Glad to hear that those effects wore off for you, sounds like it was just your body adjusting to the Aniracetam. What you're doing with upping and testing the efficiency of the Aniracetam is a good idea, because it will allow you to find that "sweet spot". Wow so a bunch of techies are here huh, like only techies kwl. BPC is great with Aniracetam, and a lot of the other Racetams as well. I make mine with a vietnamese milk coffee twist to hide out some of the taste from the Piracetam and Aniracetam I mix into it (800mg Pir and 750mg Ani).

• Yesterday was an experiment using a higher dose (~150-270mg morning, ~100-180mg afternoon) and the weird effects came back a little bit.  I was slightly spacey and conversations were not comfortable.  I found myself having difficulty coming up with intelligent things to say.

There was the variable thrown in there of my not getting enough sleep, so  I was tired, but having been tired at least one other time in my life (haha) and having experienced the woozy nootropic feeling, I can say that this felt like the Aniracetam causing it.

I feel like, at least for now, I have found my sweet spot at 100-180mg in the morning and evening.  It's enough to boost my brain without putting me over the edge.

I'm tempted to try the noopept again in a lower dose to see if I react better to lower doses of that, as well.  The weekend is almost here so maybe I'll play with it tomorrow.  I'll keep the forum updated.

Weekends were always the times I spent "dabbling" with my nootropic stack. I would be able to deal with any aqdverse effects without worrying about it effecting my work load or studies. So tampering with it on the weekend is always the best bet. Looking forward to seeing the update.

• Well, this is funny.  My Noopept dose was way off, which was why I had problems.  The little scooper that LiftMode gives you (https://liftmode.com/disposable-antistatic-polypropylene-sample-transfer-scoops-8-12-mg-capacity-large-blue-pack-of-100.html) is 10mg. 

I thought it was 1mg.

So, my first dose was meant to be small, so I took 5 tiny scoops.  Now I realize that it was a 50mg hit, not 5mg.  Then, after not feeling anything for an hour, I took 5 more scoops (50mg more).  Then, day two, I figured I'd try 7mg, which turns out to have been 70mg.  That was the day I started feeling goofy.

So, maybe Noopept is not so bad.  OD'ing on it is.

Knowing that, I just had one tiny scoop a few minutes ago (10mg).  This should be a little better than the first time.

• edited July 2014

Today is Sunday, and I have been on Noopept for about 1.5 days.  I have taken the correct dosage and things are going fine this time.  I'm having trouble determining whether or not it's doing anything for me, however.  I have heard people rave about vibrant colors and I'm thinking that I have the same experience, but that is so placebo-prone that I am reluctant to claim it.  I mean, if you are looking around and consciously thinking "Wow, look at all the things I'm noticing", of course you'll notice more.  You've just stopped taking it for granted.  Plus, I live in Phoenix, which has the most abundent natural light the planet has ever known.  Just the sun can create that experience.  But I said all of that to say this: things seem more vibrant.

I haven't noticed anything life-changing thus far.  Today, I added a small scoop of Aniracetam to the mix - only about 90mg or so.

One side-effect of the Aniracetam I have noticed, which I mentioned above and is now consistent enough to claim as a legit side-effect, is the puffiness in my face and eyes.  That may be the Ani or it may also be impurities in it.  Also, more issues with clearing my eyes of the tears that make things blurry.  When on Noopept only, it went away.  Today, with the scoop of Ani, I'm guessing it will return.  We shall see.

My Aniracetam was from NootropicsDepot.com, and shipped from a Phoenix location.  Has anyone else had the puffy eyes/face thing?  Or purchased from NootropicsDepot.com and NOT had that issue?

• Update on my findings - Noopept is officially gone from my life.  The lower dose was so harmless over the weekend that I figured I could have it during my work day without any risk.  That was a mistake, but thankfully not with any real harm done.  Yesterday was yet another spacey day.  My boss came over and spoke with me for a few minutes and I probably looked high.  I cannot say that my thinking was necessarily damaged, but my ability to socialize and act normal was affected.  So, for me, Noopept is out.

I said that it was harmless, but honestly, my ability to articulate on Noopept was weakened substantially over the weekend.  It might just be too much for my system to handle.

Another point to make here is that the Noopept was not taken alone on Monday.  I took it with a small dose of Aniracetam.  I was also on Theanine, which can have sedative effects, but this felt to me like the Noopept experience I had a few weeks back, and so far, I haven't noticed a positive effect of Noopept, so I see no reason to keep it going.

Anyway, half way through the day the spaciness wore off.  Upon getting home, I dosed 100-180mg of Aniracetam with three eggs for choline and started to feel awesome.  My brain picked right back up, my language was back on point, concentration was on, and I enjoyed normal conversations with my wife.  I had mental energy again.  Not to mention, my kid's bathroom was dirty and I cleaned it at 9pm.  I had motivation and didn't procrastinate.  I saw a need, and jumped on it.

One theory I'm pondering now is regarding choline.  Perhaps some people get headaches when they lack it and maybe I don't, rather I get foggy-headed and spacey.  Maybe that is why I can only handle and benefit from a very low dose of Aniracetam.  Possibly any more than a low dose reveals a choline deficiency.

Another thing I've noticed while on Aniracetam is regarding my jaw.  It cracks.  When I was a kid I cracked my jaw on purpose.  I figured out how to move it to cause it to crack.  I don't mean make popping noises while chewing, I mean cracking, just like cracking your knuckles.  As I got older I didn't want to be in that habit so I stopped myself.  Now, I wish I could do it again because it is a nice relief sometimes.  Ever since I began the Aniracetam, it cracks without my trying when I yawn to unplug my ears.  It's loud and startling most of the time, but feels good.  I've heard Dave mention having tight jaw muscles as a side-effect of high or low choline (I forgot which one), and I'm guessing there is a connection.  For whatever reason, it is allowing my jaw to crack.  For me, that is an advantage.  :)

So, right now, I'm on 200mg of Theanine, caffeine (espresso-style), 100-180mg Aniracetam, and 1800mg of phosphatidylcholine.  If I get loopy again, then it's the Theanine.  I'm so unscientific, I know.

One last thing regarding Theanine.  As I posted here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/11541-tortuous-colon-causing-constipation/#entry90476, I have a tortuous colon, which obstructs the normal passage of "intestinal matter".  :)  I have long thought that the muscles are sort of locked up and not doing their expected wave motion to push things through.  Well, the Theanine appears to be restoring a lot of movement in the intestine as well as allowing the cramped muscles to release.  Things actually worked on their own a few days ago and it does not appear to have been a fluke.  The feeling has continued and I'm beginning to believe that it might be my cure, or at least my workaround.  Let's hope.

Glad to hear that Theanine is giving you some rather unique benefits. Aniracetam has been known to help increase motivation and speaking skills, maybe try the eggs and aniracetam before work and see how it goes? Pack a few hard boiled eggs if that proves well and take some Aniracetam during lunch break to prolong the benefits of the Aniracetam. :D

Keep up the "unscientific" work!! Because no matter what you believe, it is scientific and anecdotal as well as helpful for newer nootropic users to get a heads up on possible unique experiences that may happen when taking nootropics. :)

• I quite like Aniracetam.  I started with this as my first racetam and had similar spacey/foginess for the first few days.  This went away after a week or so.  I am an avid BPC drinker so I was always consuming my Aniracetam with fat - a requirement as I understand it since Aniracetam is fat soluble.  I tested this with/without Alpha GPC (300mg) and didn't notice much difference.  I wasn't getting headaches to begin with so I can't tell if the choline made a difference or if I was getting enough already through diet.  At 600mg of Alpha GPC, even with relatively high doses of Aniracetam (~2g), I get bruxism like a bitch.  I tend to carry stress in my jaws anyway so the Alpha GPC may just exacerbate what is already there.  I quite like this Aniracetam for the lingual fluidity and slight sensory enhancements (primarily auditory). 

I've recently started stacking the Aniracetam with Oxiracetam.  The Oxiracetam has more of a stimulant and motivating/focusing effect for me.  Coupled with the Aniracetam (and copious amounts of BPC, of course), I feel like this is the perfect stack.  Great focus and drive along with heightened creativity and verbal skills.  By itself, the Oxiracetam made me feel a bit "robotic" and particularly type-A but the Aniracetam smoothes this out for me and adds back in the sociability.  I agree with the previous poster that the racetam effects are more "noticed" than "felt".  My memory has definitely improved and I am able to recall a greater number of facts and concepts with ease.  

Oxi and Ani are definitely keepers and I haven't had the urge to branch out beyond this at this point.  I am giving the GABAwave a go but the jury is still out.

My current morning stack (I wake at 4:45am every day to take calls with Engineers in India.  This is a HUGE help.)

* 20-40 oz BPC (~6 tbs of Kerrygold and ~2tbs of Brain Octane Oil)

* 1g Oxiracetam

* 1g Aniracetam

If I really need it, I repeat this at around noon.