Food Dave Talks About His Kids Enjoying

In one of the early podcasts Dave mentions an almost ready made food that he and his kids loved, particularly on the run (ie it sounded quick and easy to have ready).

I think they might have found it visiting Japan??

I've scoured the transcripts and forums but can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

was it Mochi cooked in a waffle maker with jam?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I looked up Mochi on Amazon. Most of it seems to be made with Sugar or Corn Syrup.

• I looked up Mochi on Amazon. Most of it seems to be made with Sugar or Corn Syrup.

Huh? I'm Japanese and eat it all the time. There's absolutely no corn syrup or sugar.
  • Mochi! That's the one. Seems to not be something you'd eat regularly (gelatinous rice) but it is delicious.

We're going to try and make it at home this weekend. Will let you know how it goes here.

My Japanese friend tells me they have mochi makers, like rice cookers, in many homes because pounding rice all day (the traditional way) is no fun.

This could be interesting...
  • Welcome to the Bulletproof forum, Jimmustacks! It looks like you are off to a great start, but if the moderators can be of assistance, let us know.

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • Funny you mention this, bought a waffle maker yesterday and finally summoned the courage to make the stuff.

I had to do some digging through the show notes but finally found it here.

It was tough to get the right ratio of water to flour but once I was satisfied, on to the waffle maker it went. I might have undercooked it a little bit but I didn't want to burn it.

It's fairly easy to make, even for this caveman.

Even though it was slightly undercooked, a dash of cinnamon and honey was enough to make my extremely picky wife say it wasn't bad. HUGE accomplishment.

Will experiment again in a few days after I watch some yt vids for better methods and measurements.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Mochi! That's the one. Seems to not be something you'd eat regularly (gelatinous rice) but it is delicious.

We're going to try and make it at home this weekend. Will let you know how it goes here.

My Japanese friend tells me they have mochi makers, like rice cookers, in many homes because pounding rice all day (the traditional way) is no fun.

This could be interesting...

Awesome. I actually referenced this podcast in another thread a long time ago. What episode # was it?

Thanks for the info grassfedled, let me know how the experiment goes, never made it before.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• #130, the Q&A podcast.

Will do! I'm hoping we can try it this thursday or saturday.

I'm thrilled that there's not just "healthy" desserts and alternatives, the best of the best is available, delicious and actually affordable!

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Really like the sounds of this and mochi. Pounded rice and root starchy veggies have been around in places like Japan and Africa for hundreds of years. All for good reasons and find this thread going into some excellent new avenues that have not been exploited fully. Please continue the updates and maybe with a photo here and there. Very cool.

Could try something along the lines of Butter Mochi ( a baked custard gooey cake):

Ingredients

3 cups rice flour from grounded short-grain glutinous rice (not longer grained non glutinous rice) *

50g xylitol and 1 maybe 2 tsp honey

2 teaspoons baking powder

5 eggs

3 cups coconut milk

1/2 cup grass fed butter butter

1/2 tsp Upgraded Vanilla or 1/4 tsp cinnamon

* http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-rice-flou-137190

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 177°C or 350°F.

Lightly grease baking pan with butter

Mix the rice flour, baking soda powder, and xylitol in bowl

Combine the eggs, coconut milk, butter, and vanilla extract and whisk

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir to combine

Pour mixture into the greased baking pan

Bake for 1.5hrs

When butter mochi is golden brown and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan its ready.

make sure it is refrigerated, then cut into squares to serve cold.

This example made was cooked for 45mins in a shallow pan to speed the cooking time up. It was also roughly cut and added raw honey was later drizzled on the top.

20140927_184529_zps50sxswzb.jpg

20140927_200114_zpsnbmowm1d.jpg

• We gave the mochi a go today via the super simple route:

• 3 Cups Water
    • 1 Cup Stevia / Xylitol (the pure / proper stuff)
    • 2 Cups White Rice Flour

Bring the water to the boil, dissolve the stevia / xylitol then slowly stir in the rice flour over medium heat.

It gets very thick and tough to stir. 

Once done we scooped out the mix on a wooden spoon, rolled into balls and dusted with starch and / or some grated coconut flesh.

And here they are:

MbLUDy9.jpg

Extremely delicious, but one of these is more than enough in one go. Next time I'll dial down the sweetness and go for a flatter version. Might be in interesting replacement for buns in grass fed ground beef & bacon sliders!

Could also be interesting with a bit of coconut oil.

Awesome. I actually referenced this podcast in another thread a long time ago. What episode # was it?

Thanks for the info grassfedled, let me know how the experiment goes, never made it before.

The episode I just heard about mochi in was Ep #13 - in the Q&A I think...

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014
    ^^^^^ Oh yum. That looks awesome and simple.

Please continue to dabble with the recipes and post here. Excellent. Maybe cut one in half so we can see the texture too. Ever thought about addition of green tea (Matcha) or incorporating a filler in them. No reason why they have to be sweet. After all the sticky rice derived flour is a perfect blend for savoury although kids probably wouldn't like that as much.
  • GreerGreer
    edited January 2015

This is mochi from scratch from actual sticky (glutenous) rice the 'modern way' with no sweetener, 

Just need pastry hook on cake mixer

http://justhungry.com/homemade-mochi-pounded-rice-modern-way 

This recipe is not baked but it says if you have waffle iron : "Fresh mochi can also be used to make moffles - just plop the dough onto the waffle iron. When the surface cooks and crisps, the dough won’t stick to the iron."

I intend to try it on next refeed - I am sure you  can add / use with any BP flavours sweet or savory as desired. Want to try baking it as I have no waffle iron - apparently mochi gets puffy and crisp. I realize the one thing I crave on BP is dry foods - something about the texture in the mouth of something dry and crisp (??)  - so crispy mochi sounds good.

• Anybody have any insights as to:

A) The best source to easily get decent/BP mochi?

B) How to get a cripsy/crusty like substance to make a pizza crust?

• Hello everyone!

This is my first post!

Rkearns10, I have tried a tapioca crust for pizza. It turns out delicious. Look it up "cast iron skillet grain and gluten free pizza" by the Domestic Man.

Hope you enjoy :)

• Hello everyone!

This is my first post!

Rkearns10, I have tried a tapioca crust for pizza. It turns out delicious. Look it up "cast iron skillet grain and gluten free pizza" by the Domestic Man.

Hope you enjoy :)

Is this tapioca approach bulletproof from a starch/carb standpoint?