Doing Bp Diet - Experiencing Rashes And Weight/fat Gain - Plz Help!
First, let me give you some background on my previous health prior to the BP diet.
I am 37 years old, 179cm (~5'11"), prior to BP diet I was 101.5kg (223 lbs) (I have previously been 80kg (176 lbs) and would like to return to this weight). I had been suffering ulcerative colitis for the previous 13 years and have finally found a way to cure this condition (about 80% cured at this point). I had been doing the GAPS diet (paleo for the most part, with an emphasis on a lot of bone broth soups (to heal colon wall) and probiotics through supplements and fermented foods eg. sauerkraut). I also cough up green flegm (suggesting bad bacteria) from my lungs from time to time. I have had lung specialists look at this, but no one has been able to work out exactly what's going on. They have given me an inhaler (Seritide), which I use very sparingly to "manage" this condition.
I started the BP diet a couple of months ago. I found the mental clarity from the BP coffee and MCT oil to be amazing and helped boost my productivity. I did experience the initial detox symptoms (headaches, going to the toilet frequently, etc). I reduced the dose of MCT oil until those symptoms stopped and then gradually increased over time. I kept increasing until I was taking 3 tsp of MCT oil per coffee. After the first couple of weeks on the BP diet, I would switch from the regular diet to BP Intermittent fasting for the next few weeks after that, then would decide on the day if i would do BPIF based on how hungry I was. When I was hungry, I would listen to my body and eat.
I found a few weeks into this process I broke out into a chronic rash (see attached pic). For some reason this rash seemed to concentrate itself from between my elbows to my wrists (both arms and has been extremely painful and made sleeping at night a nightmare (waking up a number of times a night scratching these rashes) and I also found that i had dark regions around my eyes. I did also get some rashes across the remainder of the body, but minimal and very mild in comparison. In regards to the rash on my arms, this has been the most insatiable rash I have experienced, the desire to scratch is overwhelming and when scratching it, a scratch has never felt this satisfying to scratch.
From what I read the dark regions around my eyes suggested that my liver was under heavy load, so after a couple more weeks, I decided to take a break from the MCT oil to allow my liver play catch up and prevent further detox in the short term. This got rid of the dark regions around my eyes and had very minimal impact with my rashes. I have tried a bunch of creams and various salt baths, with very little success. I have found a vitamin E cream for sensitive skin which can help "manage" the rash, but no effect in eliminating it. The only thing I have found out there that may explain the rash (just a theory at this point) is what is called Herxheimer reaction (a response from bacteria die off due to the detox process). Given my history of my ulcerative colitis and this lung condition, perhaps I have more than my fair share of bad bacteria than most??
I am seeing both my doctor and naturopath in the next week, so will provide updates on what they have to say.
From a weight point of view, I have found I have put on quite a bit of muscle whilst doing no exercise during this time. I usually put on muscle quite easily when I train, but I would have to train 3-4 times a week for 3-4 months to put on the same amount of muscle mass. However I have also been putting on fat. My weight as of this morning is 107kg (235 lbs) with the weight increase having a breakdown of 40% being muscle and 60% being fat.
When I am doing the regular BP diet, my dietary intake looks like this:
- Breakfast (between 7-9am)- 3 scrambled eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, sometimes baby spinach and some salmon (all fried in a pan with some grass fed ghee) + BP coffee with MCT oil and approx 40g (1.4 oz) of grass fed butter
- Lunch (12-2pm) - this is usually the hardest meal for me to stay BP (but usually fried chicken schnitzel using gluten free bread crumbs and friend in grass fed ghee - a chicken schnitzel roll when I have been naughty, I am getting better at this over time) + 2nd BP coffee with MCT oil and 40g (1.4oz) of grass fed butter
- Dinner (5-7pm) usually grass fed scotch fillet steak, with some garden salad plus a dollop of goat's milk yoghurt and some sauerkraut (on the odd occasion having steamed or lightly fried vegies instead of salad - but found I am not drawn to vegetables for the most part)
- snacks during the day - nuts (usually raw cashews and almonds that have been stored in the fridge)
- treat - sometimes after dinner - i will have a piece of Lindt 90% dark chocolate with a bit of coconut oil and a couple of nuts on top
- I also drink around 3L (0.8 gallons) of water per day
When I am doing the BP Intermittent fasting, the breakfast above becomes my lunch (dinner stays the same) and I will typically fast from 8pm at night until approx 1-2pm the next day (with the exception of my BP coffees)
The supplements I take are:
- Glutothione - 1ml per day
- activated charcoal as needed
- Collagen protein powder (only in the last 1-2 weeks) - 1 tbs 2 - 3 times a day
- Swisse Liver detox (assist with liver function, detox, digestion, etc)
- Vitamin D3 drops (8000 IU a day)
- some probiotic supplements to help with recovering from ulcerative colitis
Both the weight/fat gain and rash have me quite concerned. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance