Coffee Caffeine Insulin And Cortisol

edited November 2012 in Bulletproof Coffee
There are a number of studies in the literature that report that caffeine causes spikes in cortisol and insulin levels, and many more that report that cortisol promotes fat storage with the aid of insulin.

If this is true, isn't it better to stay away from coffee if you're really serious about bringing your body fat % down?

Comments

• Thanks Jason. Makes sense that insulin doesn't spike when no carbs are consumed - I didn't know cortisol could burn fat.
  • But fat, all foods, are insulinogenic...  More or less for different people, with different metabolic limits / problems.

This simple fact has explained my subjective difficulty with serum glucose CRASH after high-fat meals.  Over a year, I've reduced this sensitivity/problem, but it still remains. 

Butter isn't for everyone.  Perhaps lactose intolerance merely enhances this fat--insulin sensitivity IN SOME PEOPLE.

For me, DRINKING liquid butter-fat in the morning is different than eating ground-beef with butter-fat.  In the morning, without chewing food, isn't one's metabolism ignoring the fat, and butter merely slows the action of caffeine?  That's my take on butter-coffee.

• http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/5/878.full.pdf+html

..see table 2, top-right of 4th page into this document (page 881)

• because we are not consuming carbs in the AM when cortisol is high and insulin is sensitive. Basic terms here so be nice, cortisol will devour fat or muscle tissue, we feed it fat so it will make the continued correlation, insulin can be as sensitive as it wants, were not feeding it, there is no insulin spike.

Yes & if there was an insulin spike the high fat would lessen its peak.
  • Thanks Jason. Makes sense that insulin doesn't spike when no carbs are consumed - I didn't know cortisol could burn fat.

Whey & amino acids cause an insulin spike.