Stand-Up Desk Options

Been thinking about a Standing Desk for work for a while, sounds like a good idea in theory, but if you go all out and can't handle standing for 8-12hrs a day, you're in trouble. If you go for the desks that move up and down, so you can go from standing to seated, they can be quite an investment for you or your company. Also not seen too many good ones that are large enough. All look a bit rubbish at the moment (anyone post some good options?).

I'd like to have the option to stand a bit and sit a bit and see how it works for me. Not sure my firm will pay for a new desk and don't want to pay for one myself, as if it's not something I take to, it's a big waste. So what to do...

Saw this advertised in a magazine and although not perfect by a long shot, seems pretty cheap to start get into it.

Varidesk-new1.jpg

Not affiliated with this company, just seen there's advert in a health magazine.

goes from £275 to £350. This is something I could purchase myself if my firm won't and something I might be able to sell or use elsewhere if it's not for my working life. Lot easier to handle than a full desk but the look of it, with no parts, it's just one piece.

Anyone have other options to use at work if the firm aren't too interesting in helping you out. £275 is quite a lot, but much less than the £1000+ I've seen for full desks that look pretty naff. My current desk is L-shaped and has lots of stuff on it. Having just the computer moving up seems ideal for testing. Not sure how good it will be if I like working standing and go full time, although with training most mornings, I have a feeling I might not be standing the whole day too regularly, so will probably be looking for an adjustable desk/options.

Gonna talk to my boss this week and see what their thoughts are and if I can look further up the options available, or if I'm on my own if I wanna stand during my working day. Also have the issue that if I get my firm to buy this, then can't expect them to buy a more expensive desk if I go that way and will be suck using this. So maybe this is down to me for this 'testing' piece.

Not sure which way to go, thoughts anyone.....

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited July 2014

The company I work for has desks that go from sitting to standing and they are the large corner desks. They've had them for a while now (8+ years). I can't remember what brand though. I can check the next time I work.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I still say a sturdy cardboard box, milk crate, or something similar is the cheapest way to test and ease into using a standing desk. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I still say a sturdy cardboard box, milk crate, or something similar is the cheapest way to test and ease into using a standing desk. 

This. I stuck an ottoman on my desk and then placed my laptop on top of it. It actually works perfectly and didn't cost me anything. Although it's kind of unsightly lol

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• paying that money is a rip off, homes... just use your ingenuity and make one!!!

i have one, and i tells ya, you need to develop excellent posture habits to work at one.. standing desk doesnt mean shit, if you are slouching over it, or leaning on one hip all day..

probably should look at eric goodmans foundation training. if you can lean evenly on your feet, and activate that anterior chain, keeping your head up, then the standing desk will be a joy...

also good having a yoga mat nearby so you can break back into a couple of key stretches during the day, or an inversion table.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Don't think making one will work for the workplace. Not sure where you guys work, but that would't fly!

Also I want to sit and stand (to start), so how would that work every time you want to sit with all the monitors and cables, not practical. That's why I'm looking at this!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Might be standing a little a work very soon ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

VariDesk_Jul14_zps1f6eb1bc.gif

Arrived the day after I ordered it, very impressive. Here's a quick gif of the movement of it. Only used it for a day so far and using the app to sit for an hour and stand for 15mins. Might look to reduce the seating time as I adapt. The Varidesk I got was the large one for two monitors, it's a massive piece of kit, but works well, although not fitting on my desk particularly well. One this is sorting all the wires out, that obviously need to have enough room to move up and down. That took most time in setting up, as quite a few where too short.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• C-CupC-Cup
    edited July 2014

I have a permanantly tall standing desk.  For breaks as I condition myself to it, I have a high stool nearby.  No reason that the chair you sit in can't be high enough for the standing desk.

As an example:

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Nice setups. C-Cup is that actually your desk? It looks like a photo out of a trendy design catalog. Nice place to work. 

Do any of the other standers here find that it's much easier barefoot, or just without a shoe with a heel? I appreciate the "barefoot" thing walking around, but where it really makes a difference for me is standing. 

• I'm using some converse at work and feel it every time I wear trainers with a heel much more now. All my training time is spent barefoot on mats and my 8hrs+ at work is spent in converse for the last few years, so it's just the cycling to the office in my 'Normal' trainers where I feel the difference now since going with flatter shoes more often (or thinking about it now I know) . I'm barefoot 99% of the time at home too. Haven't tried the standing station barefoot yet. Still getting used to it.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I just walk around the office without shoes. Working graveyard when the majority of the building is empty has at least one perk.

• One week with the desk and I'm liking it. I've move to 45min seated and 15min standing per hour. Finding my legs are less stiff and feel a little more alive (if that makes sense). Only issue I'm finding is that after a busy six months, the last week or so has been quiet, so I'm finding it more difficult to stand when I'm not actually working on something. Been killing a little bit of time here and there and doing it seated rather than standing. Be interesting to see how well it works when I'm really busy. 

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Been loving Daniel Vitalis' website ever since the most recent podcast. This video is relevant and worth a look. http://www.danielvitalis.com/blog/rewild-your-workspace

• Working great and now have a acupuncture mat I stand on too. Not standing too much and when I'm busy I keep forgetting! The app was rubbish that supposed to remind you. Need to start standing more! Feel better when I do, but so used to sitting I just sit! 

Veridesk is great, I'm letting it down! But I'm blaming their crappy app ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• awesome, thanks for the gif! I definitely want to invest in a standing desk soon! :)

Holistic Nutritionist: bethleahnutrition.com 

• One week with the desk and I'm liking it. I've move to 45min seated and 15min standing per hour. Finding my legs are less stiff and feel a little more alive (if that makes sense). Only issue I'm finding is that after a busy six months, the last week or so has been quiet, so I'm finding it more difficult to stand when I'm not actually working on something. Been killing a little bit of time here and there and doing it seated rather than standing. Be interesting to see how well it works when I'm really busy. 

I've had a Geek desk for 3 or 4 years.   One of the things I've found that's important is to have things to put your feet on to shift your standing positions.  At the current time I have a file cube on the left, a small table on the right, and a slanted board in the middle.   The stuff on the left and right is just to put a foot up on.   With the slant board I'll stretch my calves, sometimes together, sometimes one at a time.   I'll also do some tree pose here and there sometimes on the board sometimes on the flat ground.   Variety seems to be the key to longer stints in the standing position.  

• Keep an eye on this thread, as they have previously compared a lot of different desks, and have updated the article recently (21st oct) with more recent models. 

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-standing-desks/

I currently have the Safco Muv Standup Workstation, because its small and cheap. I will be upgrading to a larger motor driven variable height desk soon. I've been using this for 8 months now. Will never go back. 

When i need a rest, i have a muv man wobble chair, which is more like a perch. Easily adjusts and really comfortable. Very small and easy to move too. 

I also have a treadmill under my feet, but thats another story! 

• and of course the one Dave recommends: http://www.standdesk.co/

• I'm struggle to get into the standing. Doing 2 or 3 sessions (of standing) a day and around 15-30mins. No excuses really, I'm just lazy by nature. I want to start building up till I can stand all day, but struggling. It's like going to the gym, once your there is fine, but getting off the sofa and going is the real challenge. I'm too lazy to raise the desk!

I have found the pressure mat I've been standing on when I do finally get off my lazy arse is working. I rub my feet occasionally and use a ball and the last few times I've given them a rub since I've been using the mat, I've notice they are a lot less tight and some of the lumpy bits in the arches have gone. My feet feel better, not a massive amount, but when I put my hands on them, they feel looser and free (hard to explain). If you've never massage your feet, stand on a golf or lacrosse ball and you feel how stiff your feet are! Recommended

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2014

I did it by just viewing not sitting for a full day as a stupid but motivating challenge. Stupid, because if it hurts to stand, you should probably sit. But I figured if I could hold out one day, then later sitting some of the time and standing the rest would be easy. My hips and low back hurt, and of course my feet felt awful. That was a Monday, and I let myself sit the rest of the week. The next week, I added a day. Now, I pretty much only sit on weekends. I do find this strategy is pretty impossible in shoes with any heel lift though. 

There is a lacrosse ball next to the base of my desk. 

• I use a bookshelf.  Can adjust the shelves to the monitor is face-height, keyboard at wrist height, etc.

Yeah, it doesn't adjust up and down, but that's what breaks are for.  Too tired to stand?  Probably time to take a break from work anyway, or go sit and work in another manner, or take your lap-top and work at a table for a while.

• I use a bookshelf.  Can adjust the shelves to the monitor is face-height, keyboard at wrist height, etc.

Yeah, it doesn't adjust up and down, but that's what breaks are for.  Too tired to stand?  Probably time to take a break from work anyway, or go sit and work in another manner, or take your lap-top and work at a table for a while.

That's a great, easy idea.  I really didn't want to buy another desk since I'm happy with my current desk.  Was also thinking about putting my current desk on bed risers (though I'd have to make sure not to tip it over).  

• another week of unregular standing, not finding the actually standing too bad, but my job is stop start and it's hard to talk to others while standing and everyone else is sitting, so tend to sit down once I've stopped working on a particular job and am interacting, then forget to stand again and just get on with my day without thinking too much about it! Need to get into a better habit of using it more. It's so easy, it's my mind thats the weak link :-(

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I have been tinkering with the idea of a treadmill desk.  They have some in the 1500 range that include the desk, and in the 900 range that just has the base.  I'm not interested in the folding aspect, as that just seems like a waste, and would prefer durability.

The Lifespan line seems to be the leader in this re: best bang for your buck.

lifespan-fitness-treadmill-desk.jpg

The problem I find is that virtually EVERYWHERE on the net, the reviews and such are based on like 3 months or so of doing this.  I have not had much luck finding reviews based on year(s) of doing this and not getting sick of it or getting any outstanding results.  I understand the product is on the new side, but the concept could have been customized and used for as long as treadmills have been around.  

My instinct has me thinking it is more trendy than lifestyle changer, and these desk treadmills seem to have a bias toward slow walking which IMO is the weakest of all workouts.  A brisk walking pace puts you right on the verge of panting, and would also add sweating and the jerky motion of keeping the brisk pace would require arm swinging and thus disturb mouse-clicking and make it slightly difficult to talk on the phone (not something I do anyway).  

I am now leaning to just a standing desk, and a real full-powered treadmill (with incline and higher speeds) to use in like one-hour bursts.  Seems that could be better both for fat burning and cardio, making it a better long-term health benefit vs. the slow walking of the desk version.

Would love some feedback re: longer term success with standing desks (6 months plus currently still doing it) as well as feedback from those with home treadmills in general.  The "treadmill becoming a clothes rack" rumor is discouraging, and the Bulletproof forum community having a very limited success rate (or very limited time of continued use with positive measurable results) with both standing desks and the like is as well.  

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • The way I see it, if you're going fast enough that it's exercise, I don't think I personally could work effectively. If it's just a slow walk, you get the benefits of lymph flow... but you could get that by just shifting around, fidgeting, or doing mobility work every hour. Besides, if I had the money, space, and noise threshold for a treadmill... I'd get a vibration plate instead. 

Perhaps look for a co-working space that has a standing treadmill desk and test it out for a day? It's a hell of a big and bad investment if it turns out to lower your productivity. 

• I'm fortunate to work in a company that is open-minded enough to have adjustable desks. Unfortunately I joined the company about 2 months after the desks were purchased. The costs of reorganising the floor to accommodate another desk is too much for the COO to consider. So I was delighted to find out that these desk-top contraptions exist.

I'm currently researching three products:

Hopefully I can share my thoughts with you when the work is done.

another week of unregular standing, not finding the actually standing too bad, but my job is stop start and it's hard to talk to others while standing and everyone else is sitting, so tend to sit down once I've stopped working on a particular job and am interacting, then forget to stand again and just get on with my day without thinking too much about it! Need to get into a better habit of using it more. It's so easy, it's my mind thats the weak link :sad:

Katolutos:

When the desk is raised, how much pressure can you put on the keyboard tray? If I'm working on a raised platform I often lean against it while I'm typing. That's fine at a high table, but I wonder whether the VariDesk could support my weight (my leaning weight, not my full weight). FWIW I'm 5 10 and 75kg. Pretty average. Would you feel comfortable leaning against it when it was raised?

I've also heard that the monitors sometimes wobble when typing. Have you found experienced this?

Cheers

D

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• i used to have shockingly bad plantar fasciatis. I used to wear high arch insoles and shoes inside and out to nurture and protect my feet. Thats the opposite of what i needed, and i eventually realized that, so now i'm at my standing desk all day, occasionally propping myself against (not on) a stool, bare feet - or in socks. it took a while for my arches to regain their strength, but now the plantar fasciatis has gone.

my stand desk arrived last week - its nice to be able to move, with a button, between: sit, stand, lean, etc.

• dentakudentaku
    edited May 2015

Well I finally got an adjustable desk!

I went with the VariDesk Pro Plus. You can rent them for £4.50/week for a minimum of a year (i.e.£250 a year), or buy them for £350.

I did some research on the alternatives: Kangaroo and Ergatron. I've included my notes below. Not comprehensive or the best presented but they

might be useful if you're thinking of investing.

In short, the Kangaroo is the best looking and most efficient, but it looks light and it's the most expensive. The Ergatron is cheaper but looks awful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10297464/Adjustable%20Desk.docx

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• I have the option of a standing desk and so have given it some thought.  Those who have them use a big bosu ball to sit here and there.  The desks we get here are fixed so do not go up and down.  Another thing I have noted is the speed that people go.  Some go 2 some go 5 mph.  I'll post more when I get the thing for my thoughts.

• I have a nice desk from a company called SisErgo that my company bought for us. I like the idea of standing, but I just end up sitting most of the time because I get too lazy. I just saw this new ergonomic standing desk chair called the LeanRite at www.ergoimpact.com that lets you sit stand and lean. I think this would solve that problem.