Project: Quantifying Health, Performance & Longevity

For a couple of months I've been working on a project to explore and find the most useful biometrics for health, performance and longevity. These include lab tests, data from tracking devices and anything else we can track on our bodies.

It's now well underway - I've already interviewed experts in areas such as HRV for work out optimization, oxidative stress vs antioxidant impact, brain optimizations via methylation and micro-nutrients and mitochondria and am lining up many others.

These recordings will be going up in a podcast named "The Quantified Body" on August 15th. From then on I'll get an episode out every week on new biomarker related topics.

The more I dig, the more I've realized how useful biomarkers truly are is not straightforward: cost, accuracy, practicality, research study quality backing their use, benchmarks available? healthy control benchmarks? optimum performance benchmarks? stability? access for consumers? access for physicians? risks of data corruption e.g. some blood labs have this issue if treated wrongly... etc. etc..

Data has been extremely useful for me managing the recovery process from my own chronic health issue - life changing in fact. But I've spent a lot more money than I needed to, if I'd know what I know now about labs, proxy biomarkers etc. So the goal of this podcast is to spread the word about the most useful biomarkers, what reliably changes the markers, and the topic of leveraging quantification of our bodies to improve our lives.

I have stacks of topics I'm interested in exploring in this area and people I'm interested in getting on the show because I think they have important things to say on the topic.

But I'd love to know what you are interested in hearing about on biomarkers and their use - I'd like this to become a really useful resource for you, for biohackers.. for citizen scientists etc who do a lot of this stuff already, but probably have questions and ideas about areas you'd like to know more about.

I've put up a 2 Question survey here for you to add topics and people for me to put on the list to chase down and explore. Literally 30 seconds to fill in. 

http://thequantifiedbody.net/topics-survey.html

I'll post a summary of the survey results in this thread once I've got a decent sample - as I think that could already be useful.

Also welcome any other ideas you have about this project. It's a learning curve for me, but already been very rewarding just with the first 4 episodes recorded - I'm sure you're going to get a lot out of them - especially the practical details.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

Comments

• This sounds awesome, looking forward to listening.

• It would be a good idea to work with others on this (as you said), both individuals like yourself who have gone through the process, as well as health practitioners and perhaps the companies that provide the lab testing to gain a comprehensive and balanced understanding to share with everyone.

• Hey @longo, you got it - that's the idea. I talk to health practitioners, lab test companies, the people behind research studies, and who are in the trenches using the markers every day.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• An episode that I have planned is Round Table on "Hacking HeartMath" to chat about what's working for people best in the trenches, what they've noticed, haven't etc. From what I've seen that goes far beyond the training manuals HeartMath provide, so I think it would be a really interesting and useful discussion.

I'm looking for people who've spent a lot of time on HeartMath, doing it consistently for a year - or who are getting really good average coherence scores e.g. 7+ to join in on this session - PM me if you'd like to take part. Logistics wise it will be a skype call between 3 to 5 guys.

• As promised I'm posting the results of the survey below - in bold are the interviews that have already been done and will be published as episodes the first few weeks.

If any of these topics are of particular interest to you, keep the feedback coming and I'll put more effort into covering the areas most in demand. The interviews so far have been much better than I'd even hoped for - I'm truly humbled by the sharing of outstanding practical information on this topic and how engaged the guests have been.

What Topics Would You Like to See Discussed on the Show?

Tracking devices and their value/accuracy
    Best HRV monitor devices [1st Episode covers this topic, coming up this weekend]
    Blood tests - measuring and improving
    Increasing mitochondria function [One of first episodes covers this, more to come in 2nd month]
    Cognitive performance
    Methylation [Several of first episodes cover this]
    Detoxification
    Athletic performance
    Improving dopamine release in regards to athletic performanceOxygen Saturation Testing
    Electrical muscle stimulation - measuring strengthening and healing
    Brain fog/ anxiety 
    Nootropics
    NeurofeedbackEffects of WIFI in schools - can it be quantified?

Sleep related Biomarkers and biohacking

How accurate are lab tests and how are reference ranges determined and how have they changed in the past 50 years [ongoing theme we cover in each episode for biomarkers discussed]

Use of natural medicine

What biomarkers are there for various diseases such as Cancer? [Covered in part via Oxidation / oxidative stress biomarkers in one of first episodes]

What biomarkers are there for various injuries such as head trauma?

Biomarkers for depression and adhd

Who Would You Like Us to Get on the Show? And What Topics Would You Like Them to Talk About?

Dr. Ben Lynch (Methylation, Epigenetics) - [already interviewed, in upcoming episode]
    William J Walsh (Methylation) - [already interviewed, in upcoming episode]

Dr Amy Yasko (Methylation, Lyme, Genetics, Epigenetics, Helicobacter Pylori)
    Chris Kresser (health in general, diet)

Dr. Jeffrey Bland
    Steve Maxwell (Ayurvedic medicine)
    Round table discussion - Ben Greenfield and Dave Asprey OR Dave Asprey and Jack Kruse [3 way informal conversation of biomarkers]

• Episode #1 is here: 

http://thequantifiedbody.net/episode-1-using-hrv-training-optimize-workouts-andrew-flatt/

Researcher and Pro Athlete trainer Andrew Flatt gets into some hard core practical details on how to use HRV for training accurately and conveniently to get more out of workouts. I personally learned a lot from this interview - Andrew is really hands on, buried into this stuff in the day to day and his experience using it in the real world really shows through in the interview.

Enjoy!

• The Quantified Body is now on iTunes - Subscribe here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/quantified-body-search-for/id910088499

And if you enjoyed the William J. Walsh interview on bulletproof radio, William goes a lot deeper into his labs, methylation and epigenetics the new episode released today:

http://thequantifiedbody.net/episode-2-optimizing-brain-biochemistry-with-william-j-walsh/ 

• Episode 3 has Terry Wahls talking about some of the details of her clinical trial, the roles of methylation and epigenetics as well as mitochondria, and the labs she's using clinically and in her research studies to understand how autoimmune responds to her nutrient protocol.

http://thequantifiedbody.net/ep-3-mitochondrial-health-autoimmune-and-chronic-disease-dr-terry-wahls/