Confusion, How To Still Benefit And Tread Carefully.

Hi All,

Reading forum posts has confused me further, scared me even.

I'm basically overweight (280lb) and have been attempting different weightloss lifestyles for the past 10 years.

I started the bullet proof diet, and enjoy it, as I don't crave anything, which is awesome, but now I'm reading about the risks of higher LDL and harmful effects if one has a fatty liver (which I both have) and now I feel slightly disoriented.

I also used to consume flax seed oil and fish oil regularly and learning now that flax seed oil is not preferrable.

The vitamin supplements are working great for me.

Basically, I'm enjoying the diet and loving the energy, but now I'm worried about the health risks given my background.

Also, my exercise isn't that great, but I'm building it up (lots of injuiries in the past due to heavy weight and stress on joints).

I'm looking for people who have treaded this path and their experiences, I feel there is something to gain from the bullet proof experience, but I don't want to unknowingly cause myself harm.

Thanks,

Kalmen

Comments

• Bulletproof ModBulletproof Mod Welcome to the Forums mod
    Welcome to the BP Forum, Kalmen! We always welcome new members and hope you keep coming back.

You might try searching the forum for both weight loss and LDL cholesterol. These represent topics that have been discussed extensively and I would that you will find wealth of information.

Again, welcome, and best of luck to you!

BP Moderator

• Welcome to the BP Forum, Kalmen! We always welcome new members and hope you keep coming back.

You might try searching the forum for both weight loss and LDL cholesterol. These represent topics that have been discussed extensively and I would that you will find wealth of information.

Again, welcome, and best of luck to you!

BP Moderator

Thank you, I will certainly do. There is a lot of great information here and I'm hooked already.

• Drop the flax.  I also think concentrated fish oil is garbage, extremely likely to oxidize and go rancid before ingestion. Don't even worry about "exercise", just try and get movement in outdoors.  Ride a bike casually or walk. 

What are you current blood lipids?

My view is that losing a lot of excess bodyfat is going to be healthier than being obese even if blood lipids temporarily rise, which they most likely will. 

If you are feeling great keep at it and make sure to get a check up with your doctor in a few months or if anything changes. 

• Thank you for that. I really appreciate reading your post.

Usually my blood lipids have always been at acceptable levels, my last check was early this year, and I can't remember the numbers, but my doctor said they were ok, but that was mainly because of my diet.

I will do a blood test in the next month or so, and if any alarming numbers, I'll be sure to include them in this post. Hopefully this won't be the case, but will stick to the plan.

Thanks again.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Definitely track blood markers and monitor changes. 

LDL seems to go up for a subset of high fat / low carbers. From what I can tell it's a significant minority. 

It seems to me your best bet is to read up, whether it's here on the forum, Dave's blog posts, or some of the podcasts. The more you understand the logic and mechanisms behind the BP diet, the more you can confidently move forward. For example, I'm convinced from my reading that in terms of cholesterol my main concern is inflammation and followed by ApoB/particle count(LDL-P,) not total LDL (LDL-C) so while my LDL is a little higher than recommended, I'm not worried. However, even an advanced test like WellnessFX shows my LDL-C data in big, bold red, which is disconcerting. It would be more disconcerting to discuss with a doctor after mentioning butter coffee. 

That said, if you can lose fat at a good clip while feeling better, that's tough to argue with. 

• Thank you for that, I definitely agree with you there, that education and being informed definitely makes the diet experience easier when you are worried about your blood works. I will probably not mentioned the butter coffee to my doctor if he believes vitamins are bad :)