The Less I Eat The More Productive I Am?

I think I have developed some kind of food sensitivity/inflammation/intolerance? These days weighing +/- 75KGs (having safe BMI of 85KG) after serious weightloss from 115KG that I had over 2 years I feel it takes less food to feel satiated. When I was obese I could eat twice as now and feel okay but if I do this today I will certainly feel sick and nauseus.

Example:

I could eat full bowl of cereals 2 years ago but today 1/3 makes me feel satiated

I could eat full chocolate bar 2 years ago but eating fraction of it today makes me satiated

I drank coffee with 2 teaspoons of sugar but today half of teaspoon is enough for me

My Productivity Issue

I have noticed that eating meal impacts my productivity, makes me feel slow, lethargic and drowsy. I get some kind of heavy feeling in my stomack which causes above. Somedays I feel so light that I am productive and have mental clarity that also affects creativity in a good way. The other days I don't feel like so and tend to snack from time to time due to feeling bored or having attention deficit. This snacking only distracts me from work and the more I eat, the stronger the effect I described earlier. Not to mentione how crappy I feel after I dare to take an afternoon nap...

Anyone experienced this? In particular who lost weight? Any idea why I became "food-resistant"?

Tagged:

Comments

• I noticed this too and I also noticed my tastes and the way I felt the foods in my mouth had completely changed too. Especially the chocolate part for me is intense, I can't eat any kind of "milk" chocolate anymore. If it's below 70% I can barely eat two squares. I used to love Lipton ice teas, but just recently I bought one to try and see how I react to it and after the first sip I threw away the bottle (Haven't had a sugar drink in 2 years). I also noticed that if I did "cheat" days with gluten I'd feel so weak and lethargic that I'd have to take a nap literally 30 minutes after the pizza, kolache or whatever it was. I agree with you that the less I eat and the more nutrient dense those foods are, the better I feel. In the beginning it took me a while and I was still snacking, albeit better snacks. But now I'm able to cut down the amount of meals I have and the proportions and feel better!

I can have some olives, parboiled white rice, natto and two soft boiled eggs in the morning and then later during the day brussel sprouts, cooked kale/spinach and an 8oz steak with ghee and feel completely satiated with zero performance issues. On other days, if I start snacking (even "healthy" snacks) I tend to feel not as clear and focused. I kind of feel it really has to do with whether your body gets the needed nutrients and your standard American diet usually has very low amounts of needed nutrients that your body just goes into "craving" mode and makes you eat a bunch. After you've been eating so much all day of course, you start to feel drowsy because your digestion is taking up a lot of energy.

This is why I prefer this diet over a vegan diet. I can't eat a full watermelon, a lb of figs and 10 bananas at once. I don't have the time to eat every hour of the day and I don't believe it's the best practice for my own body.

the system around you is not necessarily aligned with your incentives in mind

memento mori

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I felt rarely hungry when just starting eating bulletproof too. So I lost nearly 10 pounds in the last 3 months while not being overweight, nor ever feeling tired (on the contrary). I also couldn't eat a lot of foods I previously liked, but this has passed as I ate a huge cheat meal yesterday, feeling a bit drowsy but good nonetheless. I guess this is due to a better digestive system in general (and perhaps due to damage limiting supplements).

The lethargic feeling after meals I recognize from before I ate BP, which is no surprise since I had meals with loads of sugar, grains and other processed crap. 

• edited August 2014

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Your stomach is the size of your loosely held fist.  Any more food than that is overfilling it.  While you were overweight, you were regularly overfilling your stomach, which expanded it, and got you accustomed to feeling stuffed, which led you further into obesity.

2. As you lose weight, you have less body to feed, so appetite will naturally decrease just from having less mass.

3. Digestion is a major energy hog.  It will make you tired unless you're very particular about what you eat and how much you eat.  It's good that you're now in tune with your body to listen to its signals.

There's a book called "The No Breakfast Plan" where a doc from 1900 discovered that loss of appetite during sickness is your body's way of conserving its energy to regain health.  It has all it needs in fat reserves to survive for months.  You don't need a steady flow of food to get by in life.  Your brain will function very well without food churning away in your stomach.

A cool fact I read in that book was that autopsies of people/bodies who starved to death revealed that all systems of the body were cannibalized to some degree to maintain life, except for the brain.  The brain uses the body as its fuel source, and it gets to decide what it wants to "eat".  :)

Anyway, I lost about 20 lbs and experienced a similar thing.  Food loses its pull after you get your body under control.  It causes you to be more selective about what you're eating.  Keep in mind, if you are lacking something, you'll start craving it.  Remember to satisfy your cravings as they are usually your body talking to you... of course, that's only true after you've kicked the sugar habit and gotten portion sizes reigned in, as it sounds like you have.

• I also noticed that if I did "cheat" days with gluten I'd feel so weak and lethargic that I'd have to take a nap literally 30 minutes after the pizza, kolache or whatever it was. I agree with you that the less I eat and the more nutrient dense those foods are, the better I feel.

I wonder all this buzz about gluten allergy. Is it same as that lethargic feeling we have or something different?

On other days, if I start snacking (even "healthy" snacks) I tend to feel not as clear and focused. I kind of feel it really has to do with whether your body gets the needed nutrients and your standard American diet usually has very low amounts of needed nutrients that your body just goes into "craving" mode and makes you eat a bunch. After you've been eating so much all day of course, you start to feel drowsy because your digestion is taking up a lot of energy.

So baked stuff/bun/pastry is known for carb content and lack of nutrients. That explains why I sometimes start eating continuously. The body gets filled with minimum nutrients and wants more.

This is why I prefer this diet over a vegan diet. I can't eat a full watermelon, a lb of figs and 10 bananas at once. I don't have the time to eat every hour of the day and I don't believe it's the best practice for my own body.

Watermelon is thought of higher glycemic index and induces cravings.

I felt rarely hungry when just starting eating bulletproof too. So I lost nearly 10 pounds in the last 3 months while not being overweight, nor ever feeling tired (on the contrary). I also couldn't eat a lot of foods I previously liked, but this has passed as I ate a huge cheat meal yesterday, feeling a bit drowsy but good nonetheless. I guess this is due to a better digestive system in general (and perhaps due to damage limiting supplements).

You take supplements? Did you try exercising when your body was craving? Exercising puts me off for cravings and suppresses my appetite.

The lethargic feeling after meals I recognize from before I ate BP, which is no surprise since I had meals with loads of sugar, grains and other processed crap.

What is your diet currently?

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Your stomach is the size of your loosely held fist.  Any more food than that is overfilling it.  While you were overweight, you were regularly overfilling your stomach, which expanded it, and got you accustomed to feeling stuffed, which led you further into obesity.

That's why it's important to eat 3/4 of meal and wait 15 minutes to feel satiated. But there is a talk about eating small portions multiple times per day versus 3 times per day full meals. Isn't former snacking? What's your take on it?

3. Digestion is a major energy hog.  It will make you tired unless you're very particular about what you eat and how much you eat.  It's good that you're now in tune with your body to listen to its signals.

I heard on this forum that digestion takes away a lot of oxygen from brain and that's why disrupted mental clarity. Agree?

There's a book called "The No Breakfast Plan" where a doc from 1900 discovered that loss of appetite during sickness is your body's way of conserving its energy to regain health.  It has all it needs in fat reserves to survive for months.  You don't need a steady flow of food to get by in life.  Your brain will function very well without food churning away in your stomach.

Yeah but big gaps between meals affects stomach health

A cool fact I read in that book was that autopsies of people/bodies who starved to death revealed that all systems of the body were cannibalized to some degree to maintain life, except for the brain.  The brain uses the body as its fuel source, and it gets to decide what it wants to "eat".  :)

I led myself to some starving mode but was feeling I was fainting and could not think.

Anyway, I lost about 20 lbs and experienced a similar thing.  Food loses its pull after you get your body under control.  It causes you to be more selective about what you're eating.  Keep in mind, if you are lacking something, you'll start craving it.  Remember to satisfy your cravings as they are usually your body talking to you... of course, that's only true after you've kicked the sugar habit and gotten portion sizes reigned in, as it sounds like you have.

I am selective of the food because I don't want to end up where I began again. Yet a few times a week I "cheat" maybe due to cravings? And this can continue in small portions throughout day. That's when I lose focus, get lethargic and sleepy.

• lav2klav2k Comic Creator
    I've had similar effects to OP. I've also noticed I'm much more sensitive to low quality meats now.
  • I think I also noticed that if I overeat and do workout after, I get to feel lighter and less clumsier than if I didn't workout.

• You take supplements? Did you try exercising when your body was craving? Exercising puts me off for cravings and suppresses my appetite.

-

What is your diet currently?

Apologies for the late reply. But yes, I take most BP-recommended supplements, very irregularly nonetheless. No two days look the same in terms of diet. Exercise did help to stop some cravings before going BP, much not like a higher fat diet has done. Cravings messed with my focus, normal hunger doesn't.

My diet is basically BP intermittent fasting. BPC for breakfast, and between 13 to 8pm I eat whatever I feel like from the green side of the BP diet infographic. But I'm not religious about the fasting, I don't want to lose weight anymore so any BP snacks I might have I'll eat during the day.