Chocolate Sauce

Greg CarletGreg Carlet ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Bulletproof Recipes
So, there is a family recipe for chocolate sauce that my great-grandfather made, and I know my dad made when I was a kid. It is very un-Bulletproof, so I decided to take the ingredients and substitute them for more BP ingredients. Here is the recipe. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

CHOCOLATE SAUCE
        6 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold
        1 2/3 cups stevia or xylitol (or whatever your sweetener of choice is)
        3/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
        2/3 cup BP chocolate powder
        1 2/3 and 1/3 cups of water
        4 tablespoons unmodified starch
        1 tablespoon BP vanilla

Heat the butter on medium heat. When melted add 1 2/3 cups of water & continue to heat to medium boil. While waiting on water to boil mix sweetener, salt & chocolate. Also mix starch with remaining 1/3 cup of water. When water & butter start boiling, add the sweetener mixture, continue to boil slowly. Add starch and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Comments

• Minus the starch and I am down to try this! 

• Yum. I'm contemplating thickeners right now, maybe a small amount of tapioca starch (1 TBS?)

Mary

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

Sounds awesome. Have been adding the unmodified starch to my whey shake and that really thickens it up.

The reason it was added was for the prebiotic resistant starch. It has to be unheated to work.

Look at using the double boiler method that will allow your ingredients to melt slower and be more controlable over indirect heat. My suggestion would then be to add the starch last minute. (Incorporating crushed cocoa nibs might add texture and beneficial flavour too if done right at an earlier stage). 

Am on RFLP otherwise that would be on the stove today...lol.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The starch was the only ingredient I had trouble replacing. The original recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of corn starch. I don't know what to use to replace it (potato starch?). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Per Jason Miller, I remember this:

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010/01/how-to-make-your-own-grain-free-corn-free-baking-powder/

That is for baking powder, with one of the ingredients being unmodified potato starch.
  • I'm on rflp right now too, but yesterday evening I had some got some ice cream and put a spoon of a chocolate sauce I made on it. Mine was just unmeasured amounts of unsweetened chocolate (scharffenberger) with some coconut milk and butter and liquid stevia. I just had a bit of it for my evening meal instead of straight butter with salt.

• Can you put collagen powder in this?