pastured eggs

SkippySkippy Skippy
edited August 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet

I love the bulletproof diet. It has introduced me to the importance of finding pastured eggs. Wow, I couldn't believe the difference in taste and texture of these eggs compared to the ones I have been eating for 42 years. Anyhow, until I can afford to eat grass-fed beef every day, I am eating eggs a few times a week. I hope someone here can answer a couple of questions.

1. I found a local farm that raises their own grass-fed beef, raw grass-fed milk, pastured egss, etc. On their website, I see the "pastured" chickens are, indeed, raised in a section of a pasture. I also noticed a trough that looks like it has feed in it. So I ask the farm owner if the chickens are 100% "pastured" and they said that they are mostly, but they supplement their diet with "some" organic grains. Needless to say, this made me a bit concerned, though I could tell the eggs are of much better quality than store bought eggs. Also, they are very similar to "pastured" eggs bought at the local organic market. How concerned should I be about this? Is it normal or ethical or even legal to call eggs "pastured" if they are fed grains?

2. As I said, I have been eating quite a few eggs over the last 3 weeks. Probably about 1 dozen per week or more. I have been frying them in grass-fed butter at low temp, about setting 3.5 to 4.5 on the stove. Is this a healthy way to eat eggs? I keep hearing the co-host and Dave promote eating these eggs, but I think I've heard them say to only eat them raw?? Is it bad to cook them? If so, what is the best way to incorporate raw eggs into my diet? I've heard them mention adding them to oil to make a good salad dressing. Anyone have a recipe for this? I think they recommended adding them to bulletproof coffee...would this be the same as cooking them? Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Skippy

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]

Comments

• It is absolutely normal and acceptable to supplement the pasture forage with grain for pastured chickens. Don't worry about that one. :) Chickens are modern animals that require a bit more protein for egg production than they can get from bugs and grass.

I cook my eggs. There are TONS of people on the Paleo/Primal diet that eat at least the number of eggs you are with no complications.
  • Hi Skippy,

My thoughts on your questions:

1. Feeding them extra grain may not be ideal, but for me it's not a deal breaker. Chickens are very good at keeping toxins and other undesirables out of their eggs. That's why even conventional eggs are one of the best things you'll find at a normal grocery store, airport, etc.

2. Cooking eggs gets unhealthy when you cook the yolks. It oxidizes the yolk. I notice that I get brain fog from cooked yolks, but when I cook over easy or sunny side up, I feel energized and great. I eat up to 2-3 dozen pastured eggs per week, and do over easy, sunny side up, and raw. I make sure that I eat 2 raw yolks for every raw white, though, because of the avidin-biotin relationship (as I understand it). If you're concerned about raw whites for contaminants, don't worry--I was too. I just put a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in the egg to kill any bacteria and then blend the whole egg into a protein shake (with several other ingredients, I don't notice the egg much, except for the energized feeling it gives!).
  • 1. Birds are the only organisms specifically designed to consume grains that we eat on a regular basis (including their eggs). My biggest concern with "Organic grains" is the type. I have not found too much information for grains and chickens other than soy. I can't remember the study, but I did read that eggs with artificially raised omega-3 fats from soy actually increased the amount of oxidized vldl's by a significant double digit number in 1 weeks time (I believe it was 40% increase in 1 week, but don't quote me). A truly pastured egg/chicken eats a ton of grass, other plants, and just about any bug/animal that it can kill. However, it depends on your definition-- for example, a recent bill was going to allow GMO's to still be considered "organic." Also, sometimes "organic" can mean using "natural" pesticides/herbicides that are more poisonous and toxic to humans than conventional sprays/killers. If you had to choose, get the farmers eggs over the "high omega-vegetarian fed" eggs from the grocery store. A great place online is tropical traditions, who claim to feed their chickens a soy free "coco feed" supplemented with wild caught fish and crab.

2.I have the same issue with eggs and eating them raw, but would be more willing to eat the "Pastured" eggs raw over grocery store. I prefer scrambled, but runny if they are fried. How do you feel? That is the best predictor in my opinion!
  • My eggs come from farmers that I know. Sometimes I buy them from the co-op where I get my grass fed, raw milk. Grains are necessary for chickens, according to my farmer friends. I save the shells, dry them in the oven, grind them in the blender and use it in my garden. I may have to sell some jars of crushed eggshells by spring because it is getting out of hand.

I love eggs over easy. I cut the yolk out of the white and try to eat it whole without losing any on the plate. I have heard of eating raw yolks many times. I put them in smoothies. After finding this website, I was finally inspired to try eating the yolks raw. Oh. My. God. So amazing! I have 2 egg cups for soft boiled eggs. I can fit 2 yolks in each egg cup. Then I saute a few of the whites and bring it all to the table to eat in style. This is preferable to separating the eggs over a bowl in the kitchen and eating them out of the shell standing up. I was in a hurry this morning. I didn't want to wash lettuce for my lunch. I brought 4 eggs to work and ate the yolks at my desk. Then I stuck the whites in a jar and put them in the fridge. I'll take them home and cook with them later. I don't even feel weird about it.
  • Thanks for all of the great information and opinions.

BTW...I heard Dave talk about using eggs or egg yolks to make an awesome salad dressing. Anyone ever do that. I could kinda guess what would be in it, but would love to have a proven recipe, if someone has one.

Thanks to all that responded so far.

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
    my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]