Body By Science Question

Does the big five program fits those who seek to look better (and not necessarily become stronger)?

The reason I ask is that it seems like some body parts are not targeted (biceps, triceps, abs) and that I was always told that a few exercises should be done so that all of the parts a body part will be targeted which is also something that this program is lacking

Thanks!!

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

These are compound movements, so they target huge muscle groups. Isolating muscles only makes a difference if you are competing and have everything perfect to the smaller details, except your triceps definition. Test how it works for you, but unless you are very close to a perfect look, compound movements should suffice.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks!

I guess I'll just give it a try and see how it goes
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    Yeah man! Give it a go. I noticed my arms were rock solid after doing 3-4 weeks.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I bought a stopwatch not too long ago, and plan to give BBS a try. Now that I have access to a gym, I have no excuse!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I started the big 5 about 9 weeks ago. I'm skinny and have done weight training off and on for the past 25 years. I'm amazed at how effective this program is. In the past I'd see results from hour long workouts 3 and 4 times a week, but I couldn't sustain that pace with my busy schedule and I'd burnout, quickly losing any muscle gain and looking like a bean pole again. I love working out once a week and seeing the same results! Now I'm trying to learn how to couple it with the proper nutrition to accelerate muscle gain.
  • Hey Viewz,

FIrst thanks for your honesty about not only wanting to be healthy but enhance your physique. I think being confident with how our bodies look is a big motivator for almost everybody who embarks on an exercise journey but not everyone is willing to say it out loud for some reason.

First let me echo what drumm and reka said, the large compound movements will work all your major muscle groups including your arms.

Second, eat a paleo diet because it has more protein than the pure bullet proof diet.  Then ad in some healthy starch like yams or white rice at dinner to fuel your workouts, aid in recovery and restore muscle glycogen.

You will see some awesome results from the body by science protocol.

But here are some notes you may find helpful:

-My assessment of the body by science protocol is that it is intended for those who's main focus is overall health, longevity and rehabilitation. Body by science will work great for a new lifter or someone coming back after a long lay off but a young guy who also want to enhance how he looks at the beach, more progressive workout programs will me needed after you gain some strength and muscle on body by science. 

-In my experience as a personal trainer for the past 12 years I feel there is merit to working your core specifically for strength and posture with core bracing exercises like plank variations, farmer carries, ab roll outs, kettle bell windmills... just don't go nuts, pick one of these and do it once each workout, taking a minimalist approach just like the rest of the program.

-I also recommend giving tim ferris's "geek to freak" protocol a go after you've been lifting for at least 3 months. I think it will be a good progression for you while sticking to a minimalist approach. You will notice that tim sites body by science in the creation of his geek to freak protocol in his book the 4-hour body. Where tim's workout differs-and I agree with this, as well as some interesting university studies- is that tim advocates two full body workouts per week but works all the same major movements patterns in a different plane of motion in each workout. This will give you an extra day of muscle building stimulation while still allowing for maximal recovery.

Tim's geek to freak should get you some outstanding results but I am going to go the extra mile in this post and suggest what to do beyond the greek to freak protocol!

Once you've achieved all the gains you can to your physique from body by science and geek to freak-at least 6 months of consistent lifting and eating well- it will be time to do 3 things some purists may not like me to mention:

1. train full body 2x a week using a wider variety of movements 

2. use more conventional rep tempo's instead of super slow

3. do multiple sets in a variety of rep ranges-a.k.a 6/8/10 reverse pyramid

It might look a little something like this:

Monday

bench press

deadlift

pull-up/ chin-up

Thur.

standing overhead press

barbell squat

t-bar row

*lifting tempo: 3/0/X/1 lower the weight slowly for 3 seconds, transition quickly and lift the weight up explosively, pause for just 1 second at the top to feel that maximum muscle contraction.

*how to perform reverse pyramids:

do 2-3 "feeler sets" of just 2 reps each to ramp the weight up so you are comfortable working with the heaviest weight you can lift for 6 reps.

Then get your first set of 6 with as much weight as possible while maintaining perfect form and control.

rest 60-90 seconds

reduce weight and perform another intense set of 8 reps

rest 60-90 seconds

reduce weight again and perform your last intense set of 10-12 reps 

This workout is amazing but don't you dare try it for at least 6 months!

Ok, a bit of a knowledge dump -sorry about that- but I just love to geek out about this stuff, I guess thats why I do it for a living.

Hope this was helpful.

• Wow! Thank you so much!