How Much Salt Do You Take In The Morning?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/mastering-the-mid-day-recharge-in-only-15-minutes/

I tried the 1/2 teaspoon in the AM and retained so much water and then just abandoned it.  How much do you take (as a woman) to feel good but not retain water?

1. Mix a half teaspoon of a high quality pink Himalayan salt in a large glass of water first thing in the morning and drink the whole thing. As we’ll explain in our Bulletproof Executive book, this helps your adrenals get started. For me, and dozens of other people Dave has coached, it’s like flipping on a light switch. This will not contribute to high blood pressure, and it will reduce adrenal stress.

Comments

• I don't drink water with salt first thing, but I do salt my breakfast to taste. I would estimate I get a good teaspoon or more of Himalayan pink sea salt (in the am; I eat more with my other meals). Luckily for me, I'm not a water-retainer and my blood pressure is low normal -- a couple of weeks ago, it was 98/64.

How Is your potassium level? Maybe it's your sodium / potassium ratio, not that your sodium intake is too high. Also, do you know your triglyceride level?

Mary

• I guess you could say that to feel good and not retain water from eating salt, your electrolytes need to be in balance and your blood sugar/insulin/triglycerides need to be under control.

Mary

• What do you mean by "retained so much water"? How did you observe that?

I do the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water in morning and I'm fine. In fact I weight it to be exactly 3 grams (which is about half a teaspoon).

Then I also weight another 7 grams of salt and put on a small plate to add to meals throughout the day, as so to get exactly 10 grams of salt per day (I do not eat any processed foods so nothing which contains salt already, besides canned sardines sometimes, but that is an negligible amount).

• Wow, omegator, I'm impressed! I could not monitor my salt intake that closely!

Bulletproofnovice-

My approach to salt is if your hormone systems are working as intended, your kidneys will filter out the right amount of salt -- and potassium, magnesium, etc. -- so you have just the right amount. If your body holds water with a small amount like a teaspoon, that would be a good reason to question your hormone balances, especially insulin (pcos?) Also, whether or not there is something inflammatory going on in your body that would make you a fluid retainer.

Good luck!

Mary

• I swell a lot when I drink the himalayan sat.  When I salt my food there's never an issue.  I don't measure how much I salt my food, just to taste.  

I am definitely a fluid retainer.   I even swell up a lot in the heat.  I think I have not been blessed with the best circulation, though I don't have any issues beyond fluid retention.  I'm trying to focus a lot on lymph moving because, even though I never get sick, I just know I don't get my lymph (or blood) moving enough because I work such long sedentary hours and my favorite thing is to read.  I really should get a standing desk.

I don't have PCOS.  I eat more salt now than I used to.  I just never a taste for it but always drank huge amounts of water.  

All my labs are excellent: fasting blood sugar, triglycerides, etc.

Wow, omegator, I'm impressed! I could not monitor my salt intake that closely! 

Bulletproofnovice-

My approach to salt is if your hormone systems are working as intended, your kidneys will filter out the right amount of salt -- and potassium, magnesium, etc. -- so you have just the right amount. If your body holds water with a small amount like a teaspoon, that would be a good reason to question your hormone balances, especially insulin (pcos?) Also, whether or not there is something inflammatory going on in your body that would make you a fluid retainer.

Good luck!

• Sea salt in the am. You tried it, it didn't work for you, so you abandon it. No harm, no foul.

Not everything is going to work universally for everyone :)

Mary