I Wish I Could Be Like This

A close friend was telling how when his alarm went off at 5am he couldn't wait to jump out the bed and just do stuff!

I puased, and asked: Are you serious? Or joking. Looking at me puzzled, he said: Of course I'm serious! Every morning!

I said: I've never had that feeling, or at least, I can't ever remember having it.

So, I wish I could be like this myself. I feel there is so much to do in life, and no matter how early I sleep at night, I still wake up drowsy and sleepy and wouldn't mind going back to sleep until noon.

What I'm hoping from this post is: Did you have this problem before? What did you do to fix it? I hope to do some research on what you share and try it myself.

I'm doing the BP diet (2 weeks so far), and I drink the coffee in the morning (if I drink it at 5am, it makes no difference, so I just drink it at 9 when I goto work), my movement is light at the moment (very cold - southern hemispere) and I do the carb refeed once a week. Generally, I'm feeling great, just not about the morning drowsiness.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I've felt like that before, for a few years on and off but pre-BP - primary cause must have been fitness as those occasions all corresponded to peak fitness periods - competitive rowing and triathlon training, I was eating low- fat high protein medium carb low junk diet and in retrospect was quite inflamed even though fit. I'm much leaner at a similar weight now though do very little exercise.

It might be some kind of exercise addiction?
  • I've had plenty of that throughout my life, and I've also found myself shivering upon waking up but not really being cold. It could be mold related or a hydration issue, I'd also suggest upon waking, to place yourself in an environment that has the cleanest air possible that you can find given your current situation and do breathing exercises until your level of alertness increases. I hope this helps and I'd love to know if it produces positive results or not.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited August 2014

What does your friends diet and activity look like? I know that once I switched from LFHC to HFLC, I have been in a better mood overall. Have you looked deeper into the sleep hacking threads?

• I've felt like that before, for a few years on and off but pre-BP - primary cause must have been fitness as those occasions all corresponded to peak fitness periods - competitive rowing and triathlon training, I was eating low- fat high protein medium carb low junk diet and in retrospect was quite inflamed even though fit. I'm much leaner at a similar weight now though do very little exercise.

It might be some kind of exercise addiction?

Thank you for your insights, you got me thinking now, because I'm quite sedentary, and it seems maybe a poor circulation overall. I got to get this sorted, so I'm thinking of more stretching/movement.

• I've had plenty of that throughout my life, and I've also found myself shivering upon waking up but not really being cold. It could be mold related or a hydration issue, I'd also suggest upon waking, to place yourself in an environment that has the cleanest air possible that you can find given your current situation and do breathing exercises until your level of alertness increases. I hope this helps and I'd love to know if it produces positive results or not.

Thank you ATom89. Where I live is pretty clean air (lots of mountains, little traffic, little industrial activity, very dry weather). But you got me thinking about the breathing exercises, and possibly in combination with the emwave2.

I will be definitely posting some updates when I get some improvements.

• What does your friends diet and activity look like? I know that once I switched from LFHC to HFLC, I have been in a better mood overall. Have you looked deeper into the sleep hacking threads?

My friend just eats homecooked food, I'd say lots of chicken/red meat and rice/bread, very little sugar. No takeout. He goes to the gym. Relatively healthy but nothing that stands out.

I am also doing HFLC and feeling much better throughout the day. But just want to keep snoozing in the morning.

I've been looking at the sleep hacking threads, maybe not deeper, but mostly the sleep induction mat. I definitely don't have a problem sleeping, but happy to dig deeper.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

A close friend was telling how when his alarm went off at 5am he couldn't wait to jump out the bed and just do stuff!

I puased, and asked: Are you serious? Or joking. Looking at me puzzled, he said: Of course I'm serious! Every morning!

I said: I've never had that feeling, or at least, I can't ever remember having it.

So, I wish I could be like this myself. I feel there is so much to do in life, and no matter how early I sleep at night, I still wake up drowsy and sleepy and wouldn't mind going back to sleep until noon.

What I'm hoping from this post is: Did you have this problem before? What did you do to fix it? I hope to do some research on what you share and try it myself.

I had the same morning drowsiness for all my life no matter how much I slept.

It only changed when I started living more bulletproof. I can't say for sure what made the biggest impact, possibly it's a combination of everything. So eating bulletproof foods, better sleep hygiene, regular meditation and I take 0.3mg melatonin on random nights. I sleep about an hour or two less than I used to but it's much more deep sleep and I feel clear minded every morning.

• I had the same morning drowsiness for all my life no matter how much I slept.

It only changed when I started living more bulletproof. I can't say for sure what made the biggest impact, possibly it's a combination of everything. So eating bulletproof foods, better sleep hygiene, regular meditation and I take 0.3mg melatonin on random nights. I sleep about an hour or two less than I used to but it's much more deep sleep and I feel clear minded every morning.

That is so wonderful and hope inspiring. Thank you for sharing that!

I wish you continue this way and better, I haven't tried melatonin yet, I will include that as well.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

That is so wonderful and hope inspiring. Thank you for sharing that!

I wish you continue this way and better, I haven't tried melatonin yet, I will include that as well.

Thanks, and likewise!

Before trying melatonin I advise to read this: http://www.gwern.net/Melatonin

It's some general information and info about the recommended dose.

• Quick update, seeking your thoughts on the following:

1- My initial research led me to considering depression a suspect, so I thought maybe there is some truth to it and supplemented with 5-HTP at night to help with the mood, and I noticed a very slight difference (after 3 days), so I wake up slightly more alert and clear headed (20% improvement but not remarkable).

2- More importantly, I began to suspect that my sleep quality wasn't good at all (although I thought so), because I was grinding my teeth at night, and occasionally waking up with pain in my teeth from biting hard. Coincidentally, I took a muscle relaxant before sleep, and the next morning I woke up refreshed and alert and was very happy to discover this, but the problem is I couldn't depend on pharmaceutical drugs for the long term.

Any thoughts on sleeping better (relaxed physically) would be appreciated.

• I've definitely experienced the drowsiness and apathy you've described, mostly in school and in college. And some of it was caused by poor diet and lifestyle choices: staying up late, eating crap, smoking joints (the #1 way to start the day groggy!).

But I think a larger part of it was having a reason to get out of bed. Your friend is excited to do stuff. Do you have things that make you excited? Maybe some mild form of depression is at work, but if so, taking time to think about what really matters to you, and how you can get more of it into your life would have better results than taking more supplements. 

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• Also, I got the sleep cycle app recently and I was amazed to see how little time I spent in deep sleep. Ultimately how you feel in the morning is most important, but the sleep cycle app could be a useful guide.

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• Also, I got the sleep cycle app recently and I was amazed to see how little time I spent in deep sleep. Ultimately how you feel in the morning is most important, but the sleep cycle app could be a useful guide.

I was thinking very similar thoughts, as in, motivation for waking up as well as the quality of sleep. I think there is a little of the depression going on, but there is also excitement about life and wanting to make the best of each moment as there is so much to do.

Maybe the depression is due to the feeling tired and unable to do much, hence feeling limited, restricted, etc.

I have noticed waking up refreshed after five hours, when I've taken melatonin, but also muscle relaxants. Before this I'd wake up with a tender jaw and a mild headache (depending on what's going on in the day), so my focus now is to develop more relaxation in the body.

I will look at the sleep cycle app, and I suspect, investing in getting the sleep right will open up for many other opertunities.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, its points out to me to look deeper at myself, which is always the hardest thing to do ;)

• Thank you for your insights, you got me thinking now, because I'm quite sedentary, and it seems maybe a poor circulation overall. I got to get this sorted, so I'm thinking of more stretching/movement.

You could try the phone app Sleepstream 2, a binaural beats app, it has a great 'wake up' setting which I use for 10 mins every morning while drinking the BPC. Also 'The Meditation Podcast' has some great guided meditations with breathing instructions that get your HRV up very quickly.

The binaural beats really work well if you wake unnaturally or not out of light sleep, the muddle headed ness seems to me to be a persistent brain wave state carried into waking from your sleep.

Another good method to kick start yourself is a bit of HIIT straight out of bed, takes some discipline though, e.g. 10 clean and jerks, or a load of burpees followed by a cold shower! That should do it.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

You could try the phone app Sleepstream 2, a binaural beats app, it has a great 'wake up' setting which I use for 10 mins every morning while drinking the BPC. Also 'The Meditation Podcast' has some great guided meditations with breathing instructions that get your HRV up very quickly.

The binaural beats really work well if you wake unnaturally or not out of light sleep, the muddle headed ness seems to me to be a persistent brain wave state carried into waking from your sleep.

Another good method to kick start yourself is a bit of HIIT straight out of bed, takes some discipline though, e.g. 10 clean and jerks, or a load of burpees followed by a cold shower! That should do it.

Exactly what I experience!

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.