How Much Daily Protein Do You Ingest Daily ?

kind of a "poll" here targeted at those who are working out regularly , especially those using brief high-intensity routines to try to lose fat and maintain or gain muscle  .... 

what is your average daily protein intake ?    and please include with your response your bodyweight or just give me protein grams per pound of bodyweight , thanks !      

Comments

• I am currently eating 169g and that's all from grass fed beef and new zealand whey isolate.  I am a bit heavy right now at 179 in the morning.  This is on a weightlifting day, which is most days.

• currently trying to hit a minimum of 160g, which is 1.25 g per lb of lean body weight for me, seeing if it leads to any strength increase/muscle growth. exercise is 1 bbs session a week, capoeira, yoga, hiking, drumming, and/or slacklining on most other days. kind of lost focus with it the past couple weeks because of a couple demanding weekend events, but seem to be slowly putting on a bit of weight and my waistline is staying the same so i think its doin somethin. probably gonna cut back again in the near future though just because i'm thinking prolonged high-protein is probably not ideal. 

• I've only been tracking my macros for a week now but I am averaging 100g per day.  My target is 20% of my total calories but I've been closer to 15% most days. I weight 168lbs. I'm 5' 11"

• Cool question had to give my 2 cents.

I don't really give it much thought but right now I eat about 80-100g a day at a body weight of 172 and approx. 12% body fat, lifting 3x a week and hiking or riding my bike or body surfing/ surfing on the other days.

Not a lot of protein because I'm not trying to build a ton of muscle right now and I have a high fat intake and also eat about 100g of starchy carbs with dinner.

But I feel good, mentally clear and focused all day, active, sleep ok, all that good stuff.

When I'm lifting hard and gaining muscle I ramp it up to 1g of protein per pound of body weight. 

cheers

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

80-100 on most days but sometimes I indulge in a lot of meat on weekends so then it is more. 155 lbs. I currently lift heavy and swim.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I'm 80kg at the moment and only eating around 80g a day! You do the math ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited August 2014

I'm 80kg at the moment and only eating around 80g a day! You do the math :wink:

Thanks for posting this. Can you maintain that long-term?

Between some comments on the forums and the Keto Clarity podcast that just went up, I've reduced from the Jason Miller block system, which had me at ~120g - ~145g depending on activity, to 80-100g for the last week as an experiment. Feeling good for the moment, but seeing the other responses in this thread made me concerned I'd waste away, but of course that's not very sensible. I was most certainly protein deficient for much of my life, and didn't waste away. 

• Thanks for posting this. Can you maintain that long-term?

Between some comments on the forums and the Keto Clarity podcast that just went up, I've reduced from the Jason Miller block system, which had me at ~120g - ~145g depending on activity, to 80-100g for the last week as an experiment. Feeling good for the moment, but seeing the other responses in this thread made me concerned I'd waste away, but of course that's not very sensible. I was most certainly protein deficient for much of my life, and didn't waste away. 

I have heard from various sources (Can't provide anything specific) that you need to be careful about too much protein, especially when trying to lose weight, as your body will burn the excess like carbs and it will create an insulin response similar to carbs.  With that said, I shoot for less than 100g a day, closer to 80g

• ^^ Yeah, Jimmy Moore in Keto Clarity. But on the other hand almost any protein equation based on your lean mass will put most men at >120g. So, test / adjust / retest, hence my lower protein experiment. I figure if on lower protein I can at least match the workout performance I had with high protein, I'm at least not losing strength. 

• ^^ Yeah, Jimmy Moore in Keto Clarity. But on the other hand almost any protein equation based on your lean mass will put most men at >120g. So, test / adjust / retest, hence my lower protein experiment. I figure if on lower protein I can at least match the workout performance I had with high protein, I'm at least not losing strength. 

I haven't listened to that podcast yet but am planning to.  My current combo seems to be working well for me so don't want to deviate too much until I feel I really need to.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Is this measured in only protein foods, or the way Cronometer adds macros (counting protein from broccoli for instance)?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Is this measured in only protein foods, or the way Cronometer adds macros (counting protein from broccoli for instance)?

Protein is protein, it all should count
  • I weigh around 185 lbs, eyeball myself around 15% bodyfat, and have been eating about 145g protein per day, based on some ratios I set in Cronometer a number of months ago. I've been doing a Body By Science protocol, and gaining strength, but not gaining any lean weight. I'm actually losing a bit of weight if anything, so I'm going to ramp up my protein intake for a while to see what happens.

• I only count animal source protein, there is no way I'm going to eat less quality protein because of the incomplete protein in my veg and starch, recipe for failure if when training is of value. 

So you don`t ever count:

1 egg is 1 block protein and 3 blocks fat

protein powder - follow label (7g protein = 1 block)

collagen - follow label (7g protein = 1 block)                        Just the 28g of animal meat as 1 block (42g fish)?