Adhd Child Gone Oppositional W/ Rage Episodes

Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to gather all the variables here to make an informed move.

My son (6) has been on Biphantin (ritalin type amphetamine) for 4 months now. My goal is to switch him to natural alternatives but this is not the topic today.

Recently (last month or so), he started having fits of rage and interpreting everything as an injustice. Major exacerbation of inattention ( I mean completely on a another planet). Defiance and verbally aggressive towards his mother mostly. Now, I have to mention I am recently separated and this is of great importance in the equation. I understand he could be reacting to that. But I moved in the appartment upstairs and see my kids everyday.

I have also started to alter his diet significantly in terms of sugar, coloring, MSG, etc. (the gluten battle is on pause for now ;))

Along with more consistent supplementation. Here's what I give him according to my understanding of ADHD nutrient deficiencies/intolerances.

DAY/Brkfst: Multis (decent quality), Omega 3 chewables

NIGHT:

- Natural Calm 

- Raw honeyT

- MCT (half tsp)

I am considering Zinc. could very well be depleted in his case (high copper?) but not sure how much to give him if any more than the multis contain.

Any thoughts on what might trigger this behavior change or is it just coincidence and emotional reaction?

Thanks for your help. We're exhausted 

Comments

• Have you considered putting him on the GAPS diet?

http://www.gaps.me/

Its in many issues similar to Bulletproof, but more strict. No starches for example, no fiber. 

Adding homemade meat stock and probiotics.

There are a lot of resources online about it if you search for it, but you get the full picture if you read the book.

• edited August 2014

I have also started to alter his diet significantly in terms of sugar, coloring, MSG, etc. (the gluten battle is on pause for now)

According to Grain Brain (loosely, IMO, it's a less strict version of bulletproof diet) gluten and other nasties like sugar could be a big deal. It might be worth reading GB if you need some more motivation to completely implement the diet. Or if you don't want to read the book perhaps go 100% bulletproof for a month (not reduced rubbish foods, but rather zero rubbish foods) and see what happens. Also note that Dave said on podcast #130 he give his kids a more carbs than he would an adult.

Edit: I'm really sorry to hear things have been so tough for you and your family. Good luck and I hope you all find the peace you're searching for.

• I have also started to alter his diet significantly in terms of sugar, coloring, MSG, etc. (the gluten battle is on pause for now ;))

---

Had the same issues.  Hang in there it's all fixable just not overnight.  I would be careful in assuming that copper is deficient.  If he's over active than copper might be too much and adding more copper will just add gas to the fire.

Vitamins did help (K2/D3, Zinc, Magnesium, B).  

I know you say the gluten battle is off, but that's been a huge benefit for us.  

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Anything you can sub the gluten with, that tastes similar and is acceptable for him?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

•  I would be careful in assuming that copper is deficient.  If he's over active than copper might be too much and adding more copper will just add gas to the fire.

That's what I meant. He's most likely Low Zinc high Copper. I wouldn't dare toying around with Cu. I think supplementing with Zinc is fairly safe.

• Anything you can sub the gluten with, that tastes similar and is acceptable for him?

Yes I'm fairly well versed in the Gluten alternatives. A couple good frinds are Celiacs.

I will force that route on the whole family. It must be done! ;)

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention niacin (vitamin B3). I do hope you look into this, as the professional results witnessed by many can be dramatic in irrational, violent behavior, as well as for ADHD in general.

Here's a reference for you.   http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_ABC.html

Glad to see you're asking the questions here! Hope all goes well.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention niacin (vitamin B3). I do hope you look into this, as the professional results witnessed by many can be dramatic in irrational, violent behavior, as well as for ADHD in general.

Here's a reference for you.   http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_ABC.html

Glad to see you're asking the questions here! Hope all goes well.

Will look into this. thanks. But as for the B's, I'm still confused. Going through W.J. Walsh' s studies. It seems most depression, ADHD, and other conditions in his study groups have a B6 deficiency. Now over here, I read about the importance of  B12 and folate to not get overruled by too much B6. Am I missing something? I understand it's a question of ratios and that certain conditions don't fit in these guidelines but for me, these mental conditions are not so isolated and marginal. I figure a huge percentage of the population is undermetylated with depression-anxiety related symptoms. I would really like to understand this more clearly.

• A cal/mag/zinc supplement will keep the ratio balanced. Dye and Casein elimination worked here.

• edited August 2014

As I posted in this thread.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12399-my-kids-have-autism-adhd-mood-disorder-where-do-i-start/?hl=walsh#entry95426

I would take the time to review Dr Walsh's work, and then look to get copper and zinc levels tested, as well as, Methylation status. As frequently these 3 things are the key reasons for this type of behaviour. I notice a huge difference in my teenagers temprament when I add in a zinc supplement.

Dr William Walsh's work suggests they have problems with their methylation cycles. Dave interviewed him on Podcast #132 (search YouTube), as well Dr Walsh did an excellent free webinar yesterday in which he covered the whole methylation cycle, the problems that can arise from being under or over methylated, and that how people with the issues your children have are generally one of these types (over/under).

You can watch the webinar here

CLICK HERE to watch the webinar replay of

"The Role of Methylation and Epigenetics in Brain Disorders"

Direct link: