Bulletproof Notes & Cheat Sheet

Comments

• Yes. Long term ketosis is unhealthy. We only use it for the cognitive boost.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

What do you mean by "[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Long ketosis is not particularly desired. This is a cyclic diet![/font]"?
    It simply means that by default we eat a ketogenic diet (very low carb), but we carb-up once or twice a week. Carb-up being 150-200g of carbs and is the day you'd have your rice/yams/etc.
  • Are there any long term negative effects from this diet, provided you carb up once or twice a week to break ketosis?

Are there any long term negative effects from this diet, provided you carb up once or twice a week to break ketosis?
    Not to my knowledge; to the contrary actually. If ketosis is a concern, you can always do staple rice/yams, a fruit and you are out of it. Otherwise - there is no cleaner diet than this.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Are there any long term negative effects from this diet, provided you carb up once or twice a week to break ketosis?

Yeah, refer to The Toucher's comments.

Ketosis is optional, eating clean isn't. I started this diet looking to lose weight, so the ketosis worked miracles for me. Some people don't need to lose weight, yet they can always perform better - so eat more rice and sweet potatoes and the odd piece of fruit!

I found the most effect trying to go as green as possible at the start, for about two weeks. After this, I would notice almost immediately if I ate 'red.'

Half a bag of chocolates at the cinemas with the girlfriend put me to sleep in 20 minutes.

AND IT WAS SKYFALL TOO!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I SLEPT THROUGH HALF OF JAMES BOND!!!!!

(side note: it's harder to decline a cute girl offering you chocolates than almost anything else in life.... unless it's chocolate AND beer!)

After you then dabble with 'red' or 'yellow' items, you'll very quickly know that the 'green' zone is the right place for your body to be and that makes it easier.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

No sorcery, just science. 

You could even argue that being in ketosis regularly is actually beneficial. It's just that we generally eat carb heavy diets, and as such ketosis is somehow "unnatural." But the reality is that humans can function just fine on a wiiiide range of diets - some more suitable for certain situations, some to others.

Some people don't do very well on ketogenic diets, but that's not necessarily a ketosis problem (could be food choices). Some people argue that the more prone you are to carb crashes and feeling weak after eating tons of carbs; the better you generally do when in ketosis. True for me; but might not be for you.

As Aaron mentioned, clean eating is not optional, though. Neither are carb-ups if you do ketosis (for any possible downregulation - which isn't even clear what that is).

• Eating out:

- Don't eat out;

- Even grass fed steaks might not be that great (what is it cooked in, sauces, additives?)

- High end meat (grass fed) -> wild fish -> farmed salmon;

- If you are OK with being anal: request to be cooked with only salt in butter + vegetables (not sautéed). Plus rice if you want carbs.

- Safest options: sushi (don't dip in soy if you can - moldy), poached eggs, white rice.

- Activated charcoal if you end up cheating.

- Chlorella to counteract mercury if eating fish.

Detoxing:

- See my supplements guide for more details.

- Eating fish - like farmed salmon or high mercury fish (like tuna) - use chlorella to absorb mercury.

Hi, great guide.. could you pelase elaborate on the use of Chlorella...

What is proper dosage of Chlorella when eating sushi to absorb mercury ? how many MG per piece of sushi.

cheers,

Some people don't do very well on ketogenic diets, but that's not necessarily a ketosis problem (could be food choices). Some people argue that the more prone you are to carb crashes and feeling weak after eating tons of carbs; the better you generally do when in ketosis. True for me; but might not be for you.

That was me! I'd do fine if I only had a few carbs a week. I would crash badly, twice a day - after breakfast and after lunch. Literally asleep at my desk at work. I would fall asleep in meetings and all.

edited January 2013
    'Bujanx' wrote:
    What is proper dosage of Chlorella when eating sushi to absorb mercury ? how many MG per piece of sushi.
    A ton.. I think Dave mentioned something like 25g.

'Aaron wrote:

That was me! I'd do fine if I only had a few carbs a week. I would crash badly, twice a day - after breakfast and after lunch. Literally asleep at my desk at work. I would fall asleep in meetings and all.
    Yeah, but that's not a good thing in general. You know - the whole resilient thing. I'm sure it's got something to do with heavy carbs earlier in life that weren't offset with proper amounts of physical activity. I'm yet to figure out how to fix that. Poliquin calls that "carb intolerant."

A ton.. I think Dave mentioned something like 25g.

Yeah, but that's not a good thing in general. You know - the whole resilient thing. I'm sure it's got something to do with heavy carbs earlier in life that weren't offset with proper amounts of physical activity. I'm yet to figure out how to fix that. Poliquin calls that "carb intolerant."

Exactly. That's another reason this diet suits me perfectly!

• My local butcher has grass fed beef that IS finished with grain. He tried to tell me that the meat goes bad/rots really fast without the finish. Is this true? And if it is true, how can grass fed be sold online if it goes bad/rots so fast? Thank you!
  • Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    Try to get non tenderized meat. The blood should be removed tho witch I think takes two days. Freeze or cook your meat asap.
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    edited January 2013
    'Joe wrote:

My local butcher has grass fed beef that IS finished with grain. He tried to tell me that the meat goes bad/rots really fast without the finish. Is this true? And if it is true, how can grass fed be sold online if it goes bad/rots so fast? Thank you!
    I fail to see how that can be true. Find a different butcher or hold him at gunpoint until you get your grass-finished meat. Just buy half a cow (and freeze) and he'll oblige.

Don't skimp on grass fed and grass finished meat - it's of primary importance.

Eating out:

- Don't eat out.

I love this!!

• I fail to see how that can be true. Find a different butcher or hold him at gunpoint until you get your grass-finished meat. Just buy half a cow (and freeze) and he'll oblige.

Don't skimp on grass fed and grass finished meat - it's of primary importance.
    Thank you. So I found a local farmer that sells grass fed/finished meat. He had a roast in his freezer that was frozen for about a year, so I know the other guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Should i skip coffee if i wish to build muscle? And why.
  • Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    'Wogie' wrote:

Should i skip coffee if i wish to build muscle? And why.

- no

- because caffeine doesn't stop muscle growth.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • 'Jason wrote:

- no

- because caffeine doesn't stop muscle growth.

It's just that it says skip coffee if you wanna get lean. If anyone could explain this?
    'Wogie' wrote:

It's just that it says skip coffee if you wanna get lean. If anyone could explain this?
    That was about skipping heavy fat BP coffee. No issues with black.
  • I'm not an advocate for the Vegan diet but still You write vegan diet and maximal performance just not possible.Is this something You have researched on Your own or do You just take whatever Dave says as gospel.Look up Dr.Fred Bisci and there's a long list of other vegans that are middle aged that DO perform at Max levels.Dave never really had an explanation for this and so far nobody else on here has either

• Shouldn't there be something about brewing/preparing coffee with a filter to avoid cafestrol?  Or does it matter that much?

Since I don't like the taste and accepted I probably never will I really didn't want to invest in any paraphernalia and keep it as simple as possible.  I've been grinding with my Magic Bullet then boiling it at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes and pouring it through a fine mesh strainer into my cup (then use and immersion blender).  Works for me.  But if cafestrol is a big deal I guess I'll get an aeropress or something.

I'm not an advocate for the Vegan diet but still You write vegan diet and maximal performance just not possible.Is this something You have researched on Your own or do You just take whatever Dave says as gospel.Look up Dr.Fred Bisci and there's a long list of other vegans that are middle aged that DO perform at Max levels.Dave never really had an explanation for this and so far nobody else on here has either

These are my BP notes (source - Dave Asprey), I thought this was clear. You are also listing outliers. 

Shouldn't there be something about brewing/preparing coffee with a filter to avoid cafestrol?  Or does it matter that much?

Since I don't like the taste and accepted I probably never will I really didn't want to invest in any paraphernalia and keep it as simple as possible.  I've been grinding with my Magic Bullet then boiling it at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes and pouring it through a fine mesh strainer into my cup (then use and immersion blender).  Works for me.  But if cafestrol is a big deal I guess I'll get an aeropress or something.

It's been argued both ways. I don't think this is a big deal at all. You are fine. I'm not sure grinding with magic bullet is ideal - if you tried aeropress + a decent burr grinder, you'd get a different taste, not to mention no cleanup... Aeropress generally makes for milder coffee. To be honest, you'd save a lot of cleanup hassles if you got aeropress or that hario pour-over. 

• hey man. thanks heaps for the awesome posts. have you got any references to the vit b6 and 12 supplementation. like dosages and

and why it works and stuff ?

hey man. thanks heaps for the awesome posts. have you got any references to the vit b6 and 12 supplementation. like dosages and
     and why it works and stuff ?

Didn't research it much further. My current understanding about B12 is that 5mg isn't really a problem - it doesn't seem to be toxic. Though I still question the point of this high dose, unless deficient (labs).

• I'm not an advocate for the Vegan diet but still You write vegan diet and maximal performance just not possible.Is this something You have researched on Your own or do You just take whatever Dave says as gospel.Look up Dr.Fred Bisci and there's a long list of other vegans that are middle aged that DO perform at Max levels.Dave never really had an explanation for this and so far nobody else on here has either

I've heard Dave talk about anti-aging doctors that he works with, through the Silicon Valley health institute, and how only one of them (out of ten or so, I believe, I'm just going by memory), will even accept vegan patients because it is very hard/impossible to achieve results without using animal products.

Not sure if this is relevant to your area of interest, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Mac Danzig (mma fighter), is also a high performing vegan, but as mentioned, there are always outliers. Maybe it's possible to perform at a high level in the short term, but longevity-wise, perhaps veganism is not optimal. Then again, I think vegetables are disgusting, so I may just be biased.
  • dietgoaldietgoal
    edited April 2013

>Shouldn't there be something about brewing/preparing coffee with a filter to avoid cafestrol?  Or does it matter that much?

Dave suggested to use a disposable paper filter.

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

• GeijutsuGeijutsu
    edited August 2013

Fantastic thread and very well organized, it's good for both newbies and people who are already familiar with the diet to always go back and check the list if they forgot or missed anything.

• I am subscribed to the blog, how do I access the pdf shopping list?

• I am subscribed to the blog, how do I access the pdf shopping list?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/subscriber-only-biohacker-toolbox/bulletproof-diet-shopping-list-final-pdf2/

Indomitable- when you break you get right back up

• Why don't you want to eat omega 3 eggs?