Bulletproof Notes & Cheat Sheet

124»

Comments

• Is eating "Lots of Eggs" bad? I am all for it to keep me on budget and I love eggs. Just curious. 

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Is eating "Lots of Eggs" bad? I am all for it to keep me on budget and I love eggs. Just curious.

No, unless you cook them to death, make sure the whites are cooked and the yolk is as underdone as you can stand.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

• No, unless you cook them to death, make sure the whites are cooked and the yolk is as underdone as you can stand.

I love me some poached (although I am awful at making these), soft boiled, and over easy. (I read about the oxidized cholesterol when the yolks are cooked - so avoiding scrambled, etc)

Is sauteing bad for veggies? Like spinach and such? I would love to sauteed some spinach/brussel sprouts with bacon and put some eggs over it. Running yolks with that seems delicious. 

• Is eating "Lots of Eggs" bad? I am all for it to keep me on budget and I love eggs. Just curious. 

I've been eating 4-6 whole eggs daily for years.  My blood work always looks great, I usually feel great and I have no health issues.  That said, I'm a firm believer that not every diet or food group is right for everyone across the board.  Listen to your body -- if you can eat a lot of eggs and you feel good and respond well to it (get some blood tests done if you can), then gobble them down!! 

• In reference to carb refeeds- should we still keep the same eating schedule; only 2 meals a day, try to avoid snacking? Thanks
  • Why cycle the anti-oxidants? And would any form of Vitamin anti-oxidant be cycled or just things like olive leaf extract and turmeric?

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

In reference to carb refeeds- should we still keep the same eating schedule; only 2 meals a day, try to avoid snacking? Thanks

Yes you can keep the IF eating window if you feel fine. And if you feel you need snacks you don't eat enough during your meals. Also note that intermittent fasting is not required, it's merely a tool that helps some people attain their goals.

• This is a great thread! Loving it, thank you.

• Many thanks for the summary provided Suntoucher.

I am relatively a beginner in biohacking but 2 points from your summary left me wondering...

1) Do not heat olive oil - I use olive oil to cook (not frying, just heat it with some kind of sauce like tomato sauce and garlic/onions with gluten-free pasta

2) Garlic/onions are toxic to the brain - I though garlic/onions were very healthy - I supplement with aged garlic extract apart from eating a lot of garlic/onions.

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

Why cycle the anti-oxidants? And would any form of Vitamin anti-oxidant be cycled or just things like olive leaf extract and turmeric?

I believe the reason was due to 'hormesis' - some level of stressor is beneficial. You lose some beneficial effects where your body adapts to different stressors if you chronically counter it with anti-oxidants. My understanding of it, anyway.

1) Do not heat olive oil - I use olive oil to cook (not frying, just heat it with some kind of sauce like tomato sauce and garlic/onions with gluten-free pasta

2) Garlic/onions are toxic to the brain - I though garlic/onions were very healthy - I supplement with aged garlic extract apart from eating a lot of garlic/onions.

1. The general idea is that saturated fats (MCT/coconut oil/lard) are not easily damaged by heat, therefore they are healthier to cook in. ~20% of olive oil is PUFA, which is easily damaged by heat, and in our little obsessed BP world, unrecommended :)

In my book, if you don't reach sauteeing temperatures and you are fine. For higher heat - best to just use coconut oil or MCT.

I couldn't substantiate this, but this is what Dave claims (in his podcasts a few years ago). He claimed it impacted his meditation efforts or some such.

I personally don't think this is true. I did some research into the original sources for both - turned out dodgy by my standards (it wasn't by Dave). So, I eat both.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

mct has a fairly low smoke point (if you believe in smoke points), lower than coconut oil.

cooking with mct oil was discussed under another thread here; Cooking With Mct Oil?

fake it till you make it

• Anti-aging:

- Get a hormone panel done. Then later in life use hormone therapy to get back to those levels. Otherwise you don't know how much, what you need, etc.

- If you are <30, fix diet first and get full bloodwork done ASAP (hormone panel particularly).

- Your environment directly impacts which genes get expressed.

- Check Better baby book.

- This diet is pretty anti-aging!

Blood test panels minimums:

- Vitamin D

- Lipid Panel (Total, HDL, LDL, etc.)

- CRP

- Thyroid Panel

- Iron Panel

- Cortisol & Testosterone

I am 33, is it still valuable to have that full bloodwork done asap?

And if I have done all these tests, where can I see what the proper blood values should be?

Thanks for the awesome cliffs on this bulletproof lifestyle, I am just catching up on this.

• MaxMindMaxMind
    edited December 2016

Use virgin coconut oil What a difference! It actually smells and tastes coconut now, unlike before it tasted neutral (normal coconut oil). Also virgin coconut oil healthier. I'll cook a lot with this now. I'm not sure about wooking though, if that's fine or not. I have a feeling dave doesn't like it. But then again some cultures wook a lot and have no problems?

• @Jason Miller said:
    Why don't you want to eat omega 3 eggs?

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2696-omega-3-eggs/

So basically if the omega 3 egg is really yellow inside, you should be good?

• Great list, it helped me a lot! Thank you!

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

@MaxMind said:

So basically if the omega 3 egg is really yellow inside, you should be good?

Yolk color only hints at how much the hen was eating that what was making the yolk that color. It's not a quality factor because it is easily controlled and done on purpose to make you think it's better quality than it really is.

• @Cristoforo said:

Not sure about toxic, but I do remember Dave saying that we should treat garlic as medicine and not eat/supplement it all the time. It lowers alpha brainwaves, which explains why it reduces the effectiveness of meditation.

124»