Do Caffeine Sensitive People Tolerate Bp Coffee?

Hello all,

Whenever I drink regular caffeinated coffee, it makes me irritable, can make me feel stressed, can amp up how I react to a stressful situation, causes my skin to be uncomfortably sensitive, can make my head feel fuzzy/dehydrated, and can cause my muscles to chronically tighten. Of course, this could have been because I was drinking bad coffee, as I've learned from reading about BP coffee. Even decaf espresso from Starbucks would make me feel horrible afterward-- not a caffeine thing, but I would just feel weak, zoned-out, listless, stoic-- and now I think that's from the mold!

But my point is: Do you think I would experience any of the caffeine sensitivity described above from regular BP coffee? Or should I go decaf? I noticed if I have a different type of caffeinated beverage (like diet coke), I still experience the muscle tightness and the skin sensitivity, so maybe I should steer clear of caffeine.

I appreciate any insight or first-hand experiences with this. 

It's a big deal because this coffee is expensive so I want to try to pick out the right kind the first time! Deciding between BP regular and BP decaf. Thanks!

Comments

• If I were caffeine sensitive, I wouldn't drink coffee. But, that's me. There are many benefits of eating a Bulletproof diet without drinking coffee.

• Thing is, I really enjoy the taste and smell of coffee. I love the ritual associated with it.

• Thing is, I really enjoy the taste and smell of coffee. I love the ritual associated with it.

Why bother with something your body tolerates poorly? Is coffee really that important? I can tell you I wouldn't enjoy skin sensitivity, chronic muscle spasms, and irritability just to have a cup of coffee in the morning. But, to each their own I guess. People react to food differently than others. So, your best option is to buy a bag of beans and see for yourself. But, if its the caffeine you are sensitive to, I don't see how buying better beans will help your situation. 

• Get the kit with a bag of decaf and a bag of regular, and try them both.  And you'll get some MCT oil thrown in there too.  I'm guessing whatever reactions you've had would be reduced by using clean coffee beans.

What kind of response do you get from other sources of caffeine besides coffee?

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

• I stopped drinking coffee/diet cokes/tea/any caffeinated product other than yerba mate years ago and only started decaf bpc just for the myriad of health benefits. I've experienced no jitters, no anxiety, no rush. Just a smooth ride of clearer mental consciousness and presence from day one.

My musical performance has even benefitted. I can improvise better and easier than I have in my entire life. [Yes, I do drink the Kool Aid around here - it works]

Your body has virtually no toxins to fight first thing in the morning due to the cleaner beans, it feels nourished from quite possibly the best butter available on earth and the mct oil acts like a switch to turn you on in the morning.

All decaf and I feel great after 2 months. I can take a day off and still feel some residual benefits of the coffee. If I go one more day without, it's a downhill spiral back to my old self.

I've tried the Cacao tea and it's alright but ifirc, it's supposed to calm and relax you. For me, it will remain decaf. I have no reason for anymore caffeine since bpc has me alert enough for anything my day throws at me and it's easy to stay active all day and all evening long until it's time to turn in.

Take the plunge. I'd be very surprised if you didn't feel anything after the first cup and especially after about a week of consistent use.

• Hey everyone, I appreciate the feedback. The reason why I asked the question was Dave talked about how he had to quit coffee due to experiencing a lot of negative side effects but can now drink it since his innovation. I thought maybe that would be the same for me, but then I read on the forums about a lot of people still experiencing caffeine sensitivity even with BP. @grassfedled, I resonate with your comment. I decided to order the decaf. I figured that I would still reap a lot of benefits, and would probably feel alert due to the addition of the MCT oil (actually, I ordered the brain octane oil-- super stoked!!) and the grassfed butter.

• If you've been drinking some fast food coffee or crappy instant coffee than switching to Dave's coffee (or any organic coffee or coffee that comes from a good roaster) could help.  If you're sensitive to caffeine then no it probably won't help at all.

But you seem to be unsure as to why you react poorly to coffee - was it poor quality coffee or just caffeine?

My roommate has high blood pressure and caffeine really whacks him out.  It spikes his blood pressure too and he can't stop since caffeine is so addictive.

I'm not convinced that coffee and caffeine is for everyone but it works well for me :)  It certainly shouldn't be presented as a superfood panacea.  

--

Michael Stone

• I've found that all caffeine is not created equally.  

I don't have an issue with most types of coffee or green tea.  However, caffeine anhydrous (the processed form found in NoDoz, Excedrin, etc) for me is bad news.  I get edgy, stressed, irritable, yuck.

Naturally all of us are different, but I could envision a scenario where a lower quality coffee might bother someone where the good stuff does not.   If it does turn out to be caffeine that's the issue, there are some darn good decaf roasts out there.  It can take some doing to find them (I'd imagine Dave's is quite good) but its worth it.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Since you don't tolerate decaf either, it could be cross-reacting with a food sensitivity you might have. Usually gluten intolerance.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Hey everyone, I appreciate the feedback. The reason why I asked the question was Dave talked about how he had to quit coffee due to experiencing a lot of negative side effects but can now drink it since his innovation. I thought maybe that would be the same for me, but then I read on the forums about a lot of people still experiencing caffeine sensitivity even with BP. @grassfedled, I resonate with your comment. I decided to order the decaf. I figured that I would still reap a lot of benefits, and would probably feel alert due to the addition of the MCT oil (actually, I ordered the brain octane oil-- super stoked!!) and the grassfed butter.

Hey there - I started out drinking a half-cup of decaf BPC (well, at the time Dace did not make decaf, so I got fancy water processed single origin etc beans elsewhere) and then slowly got used to it, now I drink 2 cups in the AM, half decaf, half regular, no problems. PS If you live in Los Angeles, I'd be happy to make you a cup of decaf, then send you home with some beans to try.