New Alternatives To The Zeo

This will be my first time posting, and I made an account because I felt very inclined to share what I've found with the rest of this very generous community; without further ado, time to dive in. A short backstory...

I use Sleepcycle, and have been enjoying it for over half a year now. The process of waking up has become much more effortless, and I have become an early(er) riser as a result, despite staying up late into the night. The 99 cents has more than paid for itself in increased productivity. 

While I have not invested my money in either the beddit or the zeo, two products, the latter no longer a viable option and the former an expensive what appears to be, jock strap, with a limited functionality in the alarm and quantified self department. This slightly biased view could be based on personal testimonials, which I know are not empirically valid.  My aim is to spark a discussion on a new player into this sleep "game" that others may not be aware of.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hello/sense-know-more-sleep-better?ref=popular

Linked above is a new sleep tracker, Sense, a powerful device that fits in the palm of your hand. It works much the same way as Sleepcycle. Tracking sleep via an app and giving a "score" or numerical value based upon an accelerometer. It also wakes at the optimal time, so as to reduce grogginess that is experienced by conventional methods of waking.

A few things I noticed that would be valuable to note:

• It does not go near or under the pillow, the "pill" which is the transmitter is much farther away than a phone would be, and is much smaller. This could make EMF exposure minimal if not nonexistent. To my knowledge, EMF exposure would hereby interfere with sleep quality, or in the very least pose other risks. [I am slightly uninformed here, any knowledge tossed my way would be amazing]

• It has functionality to sync with multiple "pills" so that two(or more) people can track their sleep on the same device.

• Based on the illustrations, it could provide better insight into how to eliminate varying disturbances to improve a better nights sleep.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far, this project looks very interesting, and I would enjoy to hear what the rest of the community has to say on what appears to be quite the potent piece of technology. 

Comments

• Looked at it briefly, but it sounds like Sense calculates your sleep score based mainly on your environment:

Sense's Sleep Score takes into account all of the sensor data and variables that it monitors to generate a score out of 100 for your previous night. It looks at both the environment of your bedroom, such as disturbances during the night or whether your room was too bright for an ideal night’s rest, as well as how you actually slept yourself.

I'm not sure what "how you actually slept yourself" means, but I imagine it is not tracking the amount of time in REM sleep and in other stages of sleep. I think this is a fine device if you are not sure about sleeping environment. But, if you are already sleeping in a cool, dark room with minimal noise, I doubt you will get much from the data. What I really want to see a device that accurately tracks the time spent in each stage of sleep.

• This system relies on keeping my phone in my room wifi on - I'd be more inclined to blend a loaf of wheat bread into my coffee.

• What I really want to see a device that accurately tracks the time spent in each stage of sleep.

I looked into a few of those options, short of sleeping with an EEG attached or what looks like a Saiyan Scanner I did not find many that could perform accurate readings.

Pizzabagel you raise a good point, and I could completely eliminate or dramatically reduce EMF exposure for free by turning my phone on airplane mode each night. I will definitely try that from now on. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

This system relies on keeping my phone in my room wifi on - I'd be more inclined to blend a loaf of wheat bread into my coffee.

Thought it was bluetooth connected, so you can still turn off your wifi at night.

already a thread on this device.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/11805-hello-sense-new-sleep-tracker-what-do-you-guys-think/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well