Surviving From Gluten Intake In Italy

I've been completely off gluten for about 3 months now, and I'm slowly recovering from Stage 3A Adrenal Fatigue.

My wife and I will be celebrating our honeymoon in Italy for an entire month, and there will be gluten... everywhere.

I know that my gut health is very average right now, because I can tolerate 4-5g of HCl with each meal -- that's why I'm wondering how to reduce the effect gluten will have on me during the trip.

==> What supplements or protocols would you recommend to minimize the effects of gluten? <==

Right now I'm thinking:

• 2-4 capsules of charcoal after gluten-containing meals
  • Extra gut lining support like glutamine, aloe gel, etc.
  • Extra liver support like glutathione, calcium D glucarate, etc.
  • Maybe some sort of specific enzyme that breaks down gluten, although I'm not sure if something like that exists yet

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Nick

Comments

• It might not be that bad depending on the quality of the wheat that is being grown there.  Last time I went to France I did find on bread.  I didn't eat much but it didn't seem to upset my stomach.   

Or stay on the safe side - just stick with wine and cheese :-)

• It's not impossible to do gluten free in Italy. I have friends who travel there and they cannot do gluten.

Also, many Italians are celiac and gluten intolerance is pretty well understood there. There were more people there who knew about it than here in the US a few years ago.

Also, I have heard that many people who are bothered by gluten here in the US are not bothered by it in Italy.

Buon viaggio.

• Thanks guys.

Found out that the enzyme DPP-IV helps celiac sufferers reduce symptoms after accidental gluten digestion, so these enzymes will definitely be part of the protocol to reduce gluten damage. I know staying gluten-free in Italy is probably easier than in most countries, but I know we won't be 100% GF during the trip and don't want to stress about that part.

I'll probably try these enzymes from AST enzymes: http://www.astenzymes.com/gluten-relief

Happy to hear any other thoughts!

Nick

• Our Doctor (BP Friendly) suggested these enzymes for what its worth:

http://www.houston-enzymes.com/store/product.php?p=4&c=1

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

There's plenty of delicious food there that isn't pizza or pasta based. You may have to pay a little more, but its there.

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited August 2014

I haven't been there but at the International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas this year there was a lot of advancements in GF baking coming from Italy including gluten-free wheat starch. The winner of the GF division of the pizza competition had just finished a tour there with his GF crust formula and said the products coming down the pipe out of Italy were amazing. And, if you think about it, they have the most to lose by missing the GF emergence. Find out how to say GF in Italian and see what happens..."Fiore glut" or "senza glutine" are a couple ways to say it. Also, like Stevo says, mozzarella, panchetta, chianti, Sambuca, are GF and worthy BP diversions.

• Most places will have rice on the menu. Think risotto. Very tasty instead of pasta. Or just skip the first course and go on to the second. Restaurants won't mind. Not everyone has all the courses on the menu.

The food is fantastic.

When are you going?

• Most places will have rice on the menu. Think risotto. Very tasty instead of pasta. Or just skip the first course and go on to the second. Restaurants won't mind. Not everyone has all the courses on the menu.

The food is fantastic.

When are you going?

I'm leaving on September 22nd for an entire month.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll definitely ask for gluten-free options whenever I can. Enzymes with DPP-IV seems like the way to mitigate most of the effects if there are no alternatives, or for the case of an accidental ingestion.

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited August 2014

I'm leaving on September 22nd for an entire month.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll definitely ask for gluten-free options whenever I can. Enzymes with DPP-IV seems like the way to mitigate most of the effects if there are no alternatives, or for the case of an accidental ingestion.

Keep in mind the immune system has a hard time distinguishing from a big dose and a small dose of an irritant so when dealing with an enzyme that cannot possibly function at 100% it's not going to offer much in protection if you're extremely sensitive or if your gut is already inflamed/leaky. You could always skip the gluten altogether assuming comingled kitchens will more than likely cross-contaminate so take the enzyme after any meal where there's wheat in that kitchen and probably in the pans that prepared your food.

For more on this listen to the O'Bryan podcast...episode #61. But of course, have fun.

• GlutenEase from Enzymedica is your best weapon

http://www.enzymedica.com/store/Digestive/GlutenEase

And Vitamin C (in addition to everything you listed)

• Every restaurant I've been to in Italy serves gluten free foods. Gluten free pizza is something u will find which is likely impossible in a lot of other countries. Italy is a VERY good country if you have gluten intolerance. May seem contradictive but its really the case from my experience and I go there already for like 15 years straight.

• with charchoal you try and eat anti-inflammatory foodstuffs, like fresh turmeric and ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and cloves, all supplements are absorbed and nullified by the charchoal so make  sure you eat these, or you will be in pain.

That goes in general.