How Many Carbs?

Hello dear bulletproofers!

I've recently started the diet and read through several posts on the forum, but I'm not quite sure if what I'm doing is considered the right way to achieve ketosis. I'm 23, 6'1" and 190lbs. I don't have a tummy or otherwise body fat, but I also don't look like Schwarzenegger :D

My current layout for the two weeks I've been into LCHF is as follows:

I usually consume around 2300kcal, 115g protein, 110g carbs (80g net carbs, 50/50 starch&sugar), 130g fat. Except on my carb refeed, where I get 75g protein, 160g carbs (135g net carbs) and 63g fat.

The carb foods I usually consume are white long grain rice, natto, berries, apple, banana, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, romaine, kale, spinach, carrots, yams, etc. For fat I just go for ghee, butter, avocado and olives. Protein is mainly local grass fed beef and salmon/sardines/anchovies.

My question is whether the amounts of each macro is a good decisions for an overall healthy diet, following the bulletproof diet. I hear Dave talk about how ketosis is the state to be in and I've read other people's experiences which were mostly positive, but I'm just not quite understanding whether a carb refeed is necessary in my case (I think I heard Dave say that if you consume over 100g net carbs you don't need a carb refeed) and if it is, I'm just wondering if these numbers will hold up? I would rather not come down with adrenal fatigue within 3-6 months.

I'm just starting out on this path and these past two weeks I've felt really good with this drastic change, any help and suggestions for this newbie would be very appreciated.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
  • SystemSystem mod
    edited August 2014

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

Under 50 carbs a day is okay? Suhweet!

edit: Never mind. 50 carbs is nothing. 

• @rollercoaster64 I guess it all depends what your goals are. 

To me your total caloric intake seems very low for someone of your build, especially if you are conducting rigorous exercise in any persuasion. 

There is an interesting article by Layne Norton (natural pro bodybuilder) who says this about about your basal metabolic rate;

"Mesomorphs – bodyweight x 15.

Ectomorphs – bodyweight x 16-17.

Endomorphs – bodyweight x 13-14."

And this will give you a very rough idea of how many calories you'll use a day (190 x * and you'll get yours)

So depending on your body type (given your measurements is probably ectomorph or mesomorph) this will allow you to adjust your calories accordingly. Also, depending on what your goals are, you will need to either add or subtract from this value to gain or loose weight. 

• Oh wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the calculation there! I'm definitely a mesomorph which would put me at around 2850kcal for basic functioning, so I'll definitely have to look into eating more on a daily basis.. either that or put more butter on my food, lol. I'm not particularly interested in weight loss currently, as I'm very happy with my figure, I'm only trying to be more health conscious and find a diet that takes care of my body so I can use it to do fun things ;). I've for example already noticed immense benefits from dropping dairy.

That's an interesting graph Stevo, thank you for sharing. I suppose it confirms what I've been hearing/reading. I'm assuming those are net carbs? So as long as I'm staying between 100-150g net carbs weekly I won't be putting any stress on my body to cause it to fall into some kind of health issue (dry eyes, not enough glucose for basic metabolic functions, adrenal fatigue..) and am I right to assume that I don't need a carb refeed then? Is a low amount of fiber (approx. 20-25g a day) considered detremental to health?

Thank you all again for the help and I'm sorry for these basic questions.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Yo, ketosis is not the cause of adrenal fatigue. It#s stress. Ketosis can be stressfull on your body but it does not necessarily mean you are gonna get AF by ketosis. Especially if you refeed. I'm currently reading Body by Science where it's being said that you body heals itself when you are in ketosis... I don't know why (yet) but it's clearly not really bad. So is autophagy! My psoriasis goes away when i keep protein fasting for a few days. I can see it disappear. I'm currently trying to find out which (if any food) makes it come back. It's just bed if you do it for too long.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• joeld123joeld123
    edited August 2014

I have been thinking a lot about carbs and am not sure I have ever been in ketosis despite being very careful with my carbs.  Think of this, even if you eat almost nothing but vegetables if you are eating avocados they are 17g carbs each.  A tomato is 7 each and the massive amount of broccoli I eat is about 24 per serving.  To say nothing of the cup of rice i consume to allow me able to choke down natto.  All things considered then, eating nothing but vegetables it's possible to get 69g of carbs a day even with a very careful diet(let's say I skip the rice).  I am thinking I need to give up my favourite vegetables to really get into ketosis.

Yes I know that carbs from fibre is not supposed to count but I am pretty sure I have never been in ketosis so the results don't lie.

Actually I bet you are in ketosis every night...

Fat plays a role into that whole thing too. Have some fat with every meal! Later when you are in ketosis you can even have more carbs. And If you want to force it. Just do intermittent fasting with BPC and do a workout.

LOL

I have a book which lists every food and what's in it. And it says 100g of avocado contains 0.4g carbs. So wherever that info of yours comes from, please recheck it.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

@DMan - Are you sure you're not looking at sugars and not carbs? Or are you quoting net carbs?  I use this site: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-fruits-avocados-average-all-varieties-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzODU0.html

It shows 100g of avocado as 8.5g total carbs and 0.7g sugars.

@rollercoaster - that graphic is from Mark's Daily Apple which has loads of info

Hmm nope, 0.4g carbs total per 100g. 100mg Glocose, 200mg Fructose, 100mg Sacharose. It's the official guidline book that comes from the german equivalent of the FDA or something like that so I would have to trust them a little more than this website. But on the other hand even google says it contains 9g of carbs.... weird... well in Germany avocados seem to have less carbs then. xD

How much to eat:

"100mg Glocose, 200mg Fructose, 100mg Sacharose"

Sounds like they might just be quoting sugars. The net carb figure comes out around about the same too. I'd guess the book is arranged differently. :-D