Why Blend In A Blender Versus Mixing With Spoon Or Knife

The only blender in the house is my roommates, a ninja blender I might add, but he isn't really okay with the idea of me mixing my morning coffee in there cause he makes smoothies and can still taste some coffee no matter how hard I scrub. More to the point, what are the direct benefits of blending versus mixing with a knife or something? Like essentially couldn't I just drink the coffee and eat the butter and have it give the same effect? Would love to hear some biochemistry behind it or just simple explanations. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• The best way I've found to do BP coffee without a blender (or portable whisking device) is a glass jar and a blender bottle ball.  It's...ok.  When I do that, I find I'll have to shake it up again every five minutes or so to keep it mixed.  Granted, BP coffee is so awesome that if I have to, I will force down the layer of grease at the top every time rather than not have it.  But with a spoon or a knife, that's exactly what you'll be doing.  Dave has talked about how blending breaks the fats up into tiny little globules, which makes it easier to digest quickly.  Not mandatory, but it is helpful.

I currently use one of these in a glass jar for the actual blending process.  Best money I ever spent on a kitchen device (KitchenAid one is a rockstar too):

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409755703&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+aid+immersion+blender

Another option is to buy your own pitcher and use it with his motor.  Just make sure you find one that's compatible.  Something like this, I think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-Blender-Part-72-oz-XL-Large-Pitcher-Ultra-KS-BL780-30-Replacement-BL-780-/321436624625?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item4ad71da6f1

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

• Thanks that was really helpful! I am probably gonna buy that pitcher cause he'll most likely buy it back from me when we part ways.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Clean the blender by filling it with hot water and dish soap then blending, only need to scrub the outside. I can't imagine any coffee could be tasted after that.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Wash the blender one morning and tell him you just had to use it (but don't actually use it).

If he complains about the coffee taste then you know he's bullshitting.
  • Its not the same without a blender. Not even close. I refuse to let new people drink BPC unless its blended.

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Don't mess with your roommates, it's not good for your heart rate variability. When I don't have access to my immersion blender I use a small wire whisk. Fill the cup with your fats, add coffee leaving a couple inches at the top. Hold the cup in one hand, set the whisk in and use the fingers of the other hand to spin the handle clockwise and then counterclockwise as fast as you can. I'm able to get a good head of foam on the top and mild swirling for the next 30 mins gets any oil at the top back in. FWIW

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I've never actually made BPC in a blender. I use a milk frother. Either that, or I make it in a large, stainless steel thermos. Then, whenever I want to take a sip, I make sure the lid is secure and give the thermos a few good shakes, till the ingredients are all incorporated and it's frothy-looking. Works for me.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited September 2014

Just buy a cheap Osterizer. Glass jug. Your own blender. Problem solved

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2015

More to the point, what are the direct benefits of blending versus mixing with a knife or something? Like essentially couldn't I just drink the coffee and eat the butter and have it give the same effect? Would love to hear some biochemistry behind it or just simple explanations. Thanks!

Since nobody really answered with the details...

In the small intestine, fats (triglycerides) are first emulsified (big droplets broken into tiny droplets) by bile created by the liver and stored in the gallbladder, and then pancreatic lipase breaks them down into monoglycerides and free fatty acids. These are absorbed by your enterocytes (intestinal wall cells.) 

Note that pancreatic lipase cannot act on large chunks of fat, and so therefore requires them to be emulsified by bile. 

Note that enterocytes cannot absorb triglycerides, and therefore requires them to be broken into monoglycerides and free fatty acids by pancreatic lipase. 

So. 

When you use a blender, you break your butter down into micelles – tiny fat droplets – either fully or at least partially emulsifying the fats, reducing (perhaps eliminating?) the need for bile emulsification. This means when you drink blended butter, your liver and gallbladder don't have to work as hard, and you get the fatty goodness into your blood stream faster because pancreatic lipase doesn't have to wait for the fats to be emulsified. This is why Dave talks about sherpas carrying around car batteries to power their blenders for yak butter tea. It's so much better mechanically blended that it's worth hauling heavy car batteries around. If you have issues producing enough bile, blending may also save you quite a bit of digestive distress. 

Not that you asked, but MCTs bypass this whole process, and give you a boost even faster than blended butter. 

Details in this video from 1:55 to 5:15.

• Was recently at a location in rural VT where there was NO BLENDER! Momentary panic set in but then I discovered one of these an old fashioned hand mixer.  Better than nothing and for those of us who get frequent power outages a god send.  

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

The past few days I've been blending my BPC.

I'm never going back to the shake method or the milk frother unless I'm camping or something. It's like a whole new world, this blended BPC. I'm in love.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I use a magic bullet to blend, it's fantastic. Has several cups and attachments, well worth $50. I have seen it on sale for $25 a few times.

For my afternoon BPC I use that IKEA milk frother to re mix what I have in my thermos, it works like a champ!

• edited August 6

Does the blender need to have a certain speed or rpm? The reason I ask is that most blenders are rated in watts imho and those immersion blenders can't be very high wattage.