First Modafinil Experience Today And...

Hi All,


Had my first taste of Modafinil (Modalert) today. A very interesting mixed bag...


In terms of why: I work a full time job (9.00 - 5.30 usually) in recruitment, but I'm also a budding screenwriter and I feel it's time I really grabbed it by the balls.


The problem I've been having is... sitting down to write at 6pm after a full day of work is proving tough (especially after dealing with household stuff, cooking, eating etc.) I find time just disappears. Just lately work demands have also picked up and I've really had to get my ass in gear. That's when I started looking into nootropics...


I ordered 10 200mg Modalert pills a week ago and they arrived yesterday. After all the research and testimonials I read, I was really excited to try them out. This morning I took a full 200mg pill at 7.30am on waking up. As advised I just had a light breakfast of 2 pieces of brown toast and marmite (that ever-divisive UK favourite.)


I first felt *something* around an hour later on my walk to work, though I was really concious of bringing on a placebo effect. I guess I could describe it as a very slight "rushy" feeling and my pace quickened and I seemed a little more purpouseful. The feeling, however, was short lived...


As I started work I felt no more alert than usual. At 10am I was still yawning (after a totally normal nights sleep) and as it approached lunchtime I felt really dissapointed. I was getting all the peeing and light-headedness with seemingly none of the benefits (though my relatively boring research based task that day was going quite well.)


Notably, I still felt pretty hungry and had an occasional peanut butter oatcake throughout the day, so my appetite wasn't hugely effected.


I go to the gym in my lunch-break and today was no exception. This was the first noticable benefit. My workout seemed to go really well - not in terms of strength or anything, but in terms of focus. I was straight onto the next exercise, no time was wasted, no hesitation. I had a protein shake (which I struggled to get down) and grabbed just an egg sandwich for lunch.


It's at this point (1.30pm) I started feeling pretty shitty. Generally a bit light headed, pressure headache and nauseous. Not fun. At this point it was looking like Modafinil wasn't for me. Gutted.


Until about 3pm... unexpectedly this seems to be when it properly kicked in! (After taking 200mg at 7.30am) I didn't get the aternoon slump, I stayed focussed on my tasks and when it came to the end of the day, I decided to run home. This is something I do *sometimes* (especially if I'm training for something, but I'm not currently) I find I have to really push myself to get changed and just do it. Sometimes I can't even be bothered to walk and I get the bus! But today... there was no thought process... just, "I'm going to do this now. It gets me home faster."


When I got home earlier than usual, I was in a good mood (of course this could be down to the run.) I started making dinner for myself and housemates (this isn't unusual - I usually get home earliest and I enjoy cooking.) For a bit of a treat I decided to make one of my favourites, Spaghetti Bolognese from scratch. It's been a while since I've made something like this that takes a little more time and care... but it was no problem and I cleaned around myself more than usual. Just nothing seemed "ugh... I'll do it later..." I wasn't buzzing or anything, I was just... proactive.


Since then I've been typing script stuff, jotting ideas and of course writing this post... at no point have I scrolled through Facebook or even switched on the TV. It's only now I think of it I realise how unusual that is...


Going forward, I'm going to have another go tomorrow (I plan to take it on occasion only, but I want to "get to grips"/get used to it first.) This time however, I'm going to use a common approach of 100mg first thing in the AM but his time even earlier (I'm setting an alarm for 6.30) and 100mg at lunch. Hopefully this will avoid the unpleasant side effects and the onset of the good stuff might come a little earlier.


Overall, despite almost giving up on it and having side effects... I'm sitting here at 10:20pm having written nearly 900 words that no one's making me write, which are of no consequence to anyone, in a silent room on a Thursday... I'll let that speak for itself.


The best way I can describe it is not a feeling of something extra, but more a lack of that lazy teenager that still lives in the recesses of your mind. That "ughh, I'll do it later" guy or the *closes facebook to focus... looks at facebook on phone* guy. They just aren't there.


I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow... Sorry about the essay.


Any suggestions, advice or questions welcome!


Sign In or Register to comment.