Besides Adrenal Exhaustion, Are There Other Causes For Low Cortisol Or False Readings?

I'm curious, mainly because I'm a weird case as I have energy and don't feel fatigued throughout the day.

Can adrenals be functioning perfectly, in that they are more than capable of making more cortisol, its just that there is a lack of other components needed to make more cortisol?

Also, could cortisol levels be falsely lowered to show inaccurately results?

Seriously, I should be wanting to nap in the afternoon, instead I want to get out and run around.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

Comments

• Low cortisol causes, besides adrenal fatigue: Addison's disease, tuberculosis, certain drugs, infectious diseases, or some other disease/cancer of the pituitary gland.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/diseases-of-the-adrenal-gland/#cesec2

I've read some of your other posts. What kind of test did you do? Like a 4 or 6 point salivary cortisol test (where you collect saliva at several different times during the day)? Or a blood test? Maybe you could be re-tested, especially if you did not have the 4 point (or 6 point) salivary cortisol test? If you are really in adrenal fatigue, it seems like you should feel tired and lack energy.

Mary

• edited September 2014

Low cortisol causes, besides adrenal fatigue: Addison's disease, tuberculosis, certain drugs, infectious diseases, or some other disease/cancer of the pituitary gland.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/diseases-of-the-adrenal-gland/#cesec2

I've read some of your other posts. What kind of test did you do? Like a 4 or 6 point salivary cortisol test (where you collect saliva at several different times during the day)? Or a blood test? Maybe you could be re-tested, especially if you did not have the 4 point (or 6 point) salivary cortisol test? If you are really in adrenal fatigue, it seems like you should feel tired and lack energy.

I did the salivary test of 4 points. I know 6 points would be better, but these things are not so widely available here..

This is why my results don't reflect my symptoms which is why I feel like something else is up and I'm looking for other explanations...

----

My levels crash at 4pm to their lowest of 1.4 (range is 2-11 nmol/L)... That should be nap time. It's 2:30pm here. I just spent 2 hours gardening to get some sun and now I'm going to clean and then make dinner.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

I did the salivary test of 4 points. I know 6 points would be better, but these things are not so widely available here..

This is why my results don't reflect my symptoms which is why I feel like something else is up and I'm looking for other explanations...

----

My levels crash at 4pm to their lowest of 1.4 (range is 2-11 nmol/L)... That should be nap time. It's 2:30pm here. I just spent 2 hours gardening to get some sun and now I'm going to clean and then make dinner.

It is possible the saliva results were incorrect, for some reason...samples 'corrupted', lab stuff up, etc...

Anyway, since you are getting some blood tests done on the 11th, I highly recommend you get two more blood tests added;

1. AM cortisol 2. PM cortisol. These tests are covered by medicare (free). The request does not even need to say AM/PM, but you will need to get these requests on separate forms (for obvious reasons). If you want to consolidate request forms, you can add one cortisol test to one of your current requests. But need to keep the other separate, so you can do a morning blood draw & an afternoon blood draw for cortisol.

The AM & PM cortisol are the same test, just have different ranges. From memory the PM cortisol lab ranges are based around a 4pm blood draw, but close enough is good enough.

If these results come back below range, then that confirms the saliva tests, if not, may be the saliva tests were stuffed up.

Edit: ps. do not 'abnormally' stress your body before the PM draw, ie. hit the gym at lunch time. you want to get a realistic result.

fake it till you make it

• It is possible the saliva results were incorrect, for some reason...samples 'corrupted', lab stuff up, etc...

Anyway, since you are getting some blood tests done on the 11th, I highly recommend you get two more blood tests added;

1. AM cortisol 2. PM cortisol. These tests are covered by medicare (free). The request does not even need to say AM/PM, but you will need to get these requests on separate forms (for obvious reasons). If you want to consolidate request forms, you can add one cortisol test to one of your current requests. But need to keep the other separate, so you can do a morning blood draw & an afternoon blood draw for cortisol.

The AM & PM cortisol are the same test, just have different ranges. From memory the PM cortisol lab ranges are based around a 4pm blood draw, but close enough is good enough.

If these results come back below range, then that confirms the saliva tests, if not, may be the saliva tests were stuffed up.

Edit: ps. do not 'abnormally' stress your body before the PM draw, ie. hit the gym at lunch time. you want to get a realistic result.

I will see what I can do about the extra labs..

I have considered that the results could be incorrect, however, they would need belong to someone else entirely.. I have no crash throughout the day at all and with the figures I have, it would have to happen at some point.

I remember days of afternoon naps from years ago.. I just don't feel that tired exhaustion that I had back then... Except now at night, around 9pm which is around my bed time, so I expect to get a wave of sleepiness around there.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Depression or chronic illness.

How did you measure you cortisol levels?

I had to do it twice a day for 2 days for a simple test. Since my values were kind of in the grey zone my doc suggested to do a 5 days long test in order to see how I do...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I had to test at 8am noon 4pm and 8pm over one day and submit the samples the next day.

Whats the grey zone? what did your results end up being in terms of the 2 days test and the 5 day test?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Chris Chresser wouild say the grey zone is something something imbalance... Adrenal fatigue is when your adrenals don't produce any cortisol anymore. The stage before you experince this is when your cortisol rhythm is out of balance. It should be high in the morning and low in the evening. When I got tested oOn one day my values were ok but not good. On the other day it was too low in the morning and too high in the evening... So I don't have adrenal fatigue but if I'm building my way up to it if I dont take care... I did not do the 5 day test because we wanted to wait what the cardiologist had to say about the final results. My doc gave me a printout with recommendations and instead of waiting I tried to do what the printout said...

After all I think the best thing I had to do was exercise less!! and therefore have more carbs after I workout. Now I feel much better. I can't believe how much better I do now. Especially regarding my HRV for training results... They fluctuate a lot but they can go as high as 80 and my morning pulse can go down to 50... Just recently I'm starting to wake up earlier in the morning which is probably a good sign after 7 hours of sleep. So I think I'm getting back to where I was when I started following the bulletproof lifestyle...

This is of course something that I only found out with the help of this forum. :)

I know how real adrenal fatigue feels like when it's and that would be like you can't do anything and want to sleep all day and you feel like you are walking through water and everything is in slow motion constantly. I think you don't have that...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• edited September 2014

I know how real adrenal fatigue feels like when it's and that would be like you can't do anything and want to sleep all day and you feel like you are walking through water and everything is in slow motion constantly. I think you don't have that...

This feeling I know from years and years ago.

Today I did more gardening. Another 2 hours, but quite a bit of heavy digging this time. I feel like the times I felt tired were due to being unfit from being bed ridden for most of last year and now I've been told to not exercise so that's hardly helping. Its more being out of breath from finally moving than exhausted and not being able to continue. If I stopped for a minute, I was good to go again. 

It's almost 9pm now, but I've been feeling sleepy since about 7:30-8pm which is a little earlier than normal, but then I actually exerted myself a bit and had an epsom bath around 6pm, so who knows...

Do you think you will be retested to see how your are going with cortisol and whatnot? How early is early for a wake up time? I naturally wake at 6:30. Luckily spring has just arrived so soon i will not have to shuffle around in the dark.

Meanwhile, for other causes of low cortisol....

http://en.diagnosispro.com/differential_diagnosis-for/cortisol-lab-decreased/11102-153.html

47 possible diagnoses found

Trauma Causes

Trauma pituitary gland

Electromagnetic, Physics, trauma, Radiation Causes

Abdominal irradiation therapy

Irradiation pituitary

Surgical, Procedure Complication

Pituitary stalk section

Hypophysectomy

Adrenalectomy, bilateral

Infectious Disorders (Specific Agent)

Post encephalitis status

Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome

Tuberculosis, adrenal

Infected organ, Abscesses

Meningitis, basilar

Granulomatous, Inflammatory Disorders

Sarcoidosis, adrenal

Neoplastic Disorders

Craniopharyngioma

Metastasis to adrenal glands

Pituitary tumor

Pituitary tumor autolysis/involution

Allergic, Collagen, Auto-Immune Disorders

Polyglandular autoimmune disease

Schmidt's syndrome/Polyglandular autoimmune dis II

Metabolic, Storage Disorders

Hemochromatosis

Amyloidosis, adrenal

Eosinophilic granuloma/hypophysis

Congenital, Developmental Disorders

Adrenogenital syndrome

Hereditary, Familial, Genetic Disorders

Schilder disease/Adrenoleukodystrophy

Arteriosclerotic, Vascular, Venous Disorders

Adrenal hemorrhage/apoplexy

Adrenal artery embolus

Postpartum pituitary Necrosis

Adrenal vein thrombosis

Vegetative, Autonomic, Endocrine Disorders

Hypothalamic-pituitary unit disorder

Addison's disease (chronic adrenal ins)

Adrenal insufficiency, acute

Adrenal insuff/second/hypopituitarism

Autoimmune adrenal insufficiency

Panhypopituitarism/hyperinsulinemia

Pituitary disorders

Pituitary hypofunction, anterior

Adrenogenital syndrome, acquired

Dwarfism, panhypopituitary

Dwarfism, pituitary

Panhypopituitarism

Adrenal cortex atrophy, idiopathic

Adrenocorticoid (Isolated) Deficiency

Reference to Organ System

Adrenal gland disorders

Adrenal destruction/infiltration

Pituitary lesions

Pathophysiologic

Pituitary/adrenal axis suppression

Heirarchical Major Groups

Adrenal cortex disorder

Anterior pituitary disorder

Drugs

Previous steroid Administration/Toxicity

Guess we just start at the top and work our way down... ;) Good thing that being 5'7" allows me to confidently rule our dwarfism...

• I got some advice from Morley Robbins AKA Magnesium Man and he suggested that my low cortisol could be a potassium deficiency caused by copper toxicity. I have had labs show potassium deficiency from time to time before...

I am considering getting a hair analysis done. Its something I have wanted to get for a long time..

Someone also suggested reading this book: Are you tired and wired?

http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Tired-Wired-Overcoming/dp/140192820X

Anyone familiar with it? 

• You can get a lab test for copper and ceruloplasmin which would be more accurate than hair analysis for copper toxicity. While most people feel tired from low cortisol it is not the case for everyone, it is a possibility that the sample was not accurate, or there was a fault with the lab and a follow up test would confirm that. 

Specializing in functional pathology testing in Australia http://www.planetnaturopath.com/products/functional-pathology-testing

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

I will see what I can do about the extra labs..

I have considered that the results could be incorrect, however, they would need belong to someone else entirely.. I have no crash throughout the day at all and with the figures I have, it would have to happen at some point.

hi izabela, did you have any luck with getting the cortisol blood tests added to your tests

fake it till you make it

• No, I ran out of time to try and get them added with the gp and I didnt know what to write on the form myself. 

I did add b12 myself by hand. I had a def in b12 about 2 years and i dont supplement these days so i wanted to see if it was okay...