Not Ketosis But Low Carb That Works For Me

Ok. I have been following the BPD for a while. By "follow" I mean I do my best to follow the green side of the BPD.  I lost some body fat super quick and then gained it all back after about a month. I think the reason for this is I was fasting and then I would fall off the wagon later that day and eat huge meals. The found that the whole fasting thing does not work for me. I would also be so tired after work that I would just fall asleep on the couch around 7pm

I have found a system that works for me and maybe it can work for you too. I have been doing this for 1.5 months and I am never hungry, I have energy all day, NO CRASH, body fat went down 4% and I have lost 10lbs. 

I eat about 5 times a day. Every 2.5 to 3.5 hours in between every meal. 

Goals for EVERY meal

25 grams of protein

15-20 grams of Carb

7-11 grams of Fat

It is difficult to do at times but it is working so I do it. 

Example day

6:30am Breakfast: Egg Wrap: 26g P, 17g C, 7G Fat Calories: 200-250

BPCoffee with Collagen for protein

or

Pastured Free Range liquid Egg Whites

1 whole pastured free range egg

Low carb Wrap

Broccoli or veggies on the green side of BPD

.15 cup grass fed raw cheese

.25 Avocado

9:30am Snack 26g P, 20g C, 7g Fat Calories: 230-250

.5cup local grass fed 4% cottage cheese (might be hard to find)

.5 cup Butternut squash

2oz Chicken breast

12:30pm Lunch 26g P, 20g C, 11g F Calories 250-300

2 cups Salad Mix organic

9g croutons

1 chicken breast or 3-4oz GF Beef 

Hot sauce or dressing (MCT oil,  Vin, Pepper, Avocado, mustard)

Any BPD Veggies

3:30pm Snack 18g P, 20g C, 4-7g Fat Calories  250-300

Upgraded Collagen Shake with the chocolate and Almond Milk

or

7oz of liquid egg whites (see breakfast) Chocolate Almond Milk 8oz

6:30pm Dinner 26g P, 15-20g C, 7-11g F Calories 250-350

3-4oz of BPD Meat

Handful of Steamed BPD Veggies

1T GF Butter

.25 Avocado

9:30pm Snack (Protein, Carbs, and Fat Varies) Calories 100ish

.5 Protein Bar (Not Really BP) Pure Protein or Clif Builders, or Quest

Total Calories for my typical day are 1250-1500 but I am not hungry at all. It is actually a lot of food. I always carry a protein bar as a replacement if I don't have time for a "meal" 

One of the mental things I have to deal with is labeling my meals as Breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner.. really they are all the same and totally interchangeable. 

I hope this helps some ladies.. there are many options to change things around as far a foods go. It is a lot to carry around. I have a large lunch pack and I make sure to have ice packs in there.

I work from 6:30-3pm everyday and I go to school full time in the evenings a few days a week. I have to carry all my food for the day.

Comments

• I forgot.. I suppliment

I take 3000mg of omega 3's daily 

• i see your diet a little low on fat. Do you work out? I am still learning about bp, but i am unsure how you would be able to maintain ketosis in that way

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

i see your diet a little low on fat. Do you work out? I am still learning about bp, but i am unsure how you would be able to maintain ketosis in that way

I don't think she maintains ketosis, she just said that ketosis didn't work for her.

I like this plan, I used a similar one when I got lean and worked for that purpose very well.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• BTW I'm impressed you prepare all this every day - and that you have a job and evening classes, nice work!

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited September 2014

I forgot.. I suppliment

I take 3000mg of omega 3's daily 

Don't forget to count the Omega 3 in your food

• I have also been finding that the BPIF isn't working for me, but I don't want to be a "sugar burner." What does my lack of ability to IF indicate about the underlying biological processes? I know my adrenals are a little off, and my thyroid isn't perfect - I'm upping my thyroid hormone. But I was surprised that no one suggested the frequency of food intake outlined in the first post of this thread was a bad thing. Thoughts? Thanks!!
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015

I have also been finding that the BPIF isn't working for me, but I don't want to be a "sugar burner." What does my lack of ability to IF indicate about the underlying biological processes? I know my adrenals are a little off, and my thyroid isn't perfect - I'm upping my thyroid hormone. But I was surprised that no one suggested the frequency of food intake outlined in the first post of this thread was a bad thing. Thoughts? Thanks!!

If it isn't working for you, don't do it. It can make hormonal problems worse. Find the frequency that works best for you, and if you're not satisfied with that, try to gradually increase the time between your meals. You can get used to fasting and not being hungry but it can kill your energy levels and make you gain fat after a few months if your hormones are not working well. Then it's not worth it. On the other hand you may just get used to it and do fine after the initial symptoms go away.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I don't really have a problem doing the IF but not sure if you were saying after a few months we may put weight on. I don't have a thyroid (cancer). Still tweeking hormone balance I have been going back and fourth with being so hot then cold has anyone else experienced that? Also any thoughts on using coconut or almond flour recipes on the no protein days
  • I highly suspect both coconut and almond flours are too high in protein; almond for sure.

whiteelephant921, you can still be a fat burner without BPIF. Check out John Douillard/Life Spa, an Ayurvedic doctor. It's true he advocates two meals a day for some, but he says three meals is okay. I read over and over from many experts that IF isn't good for women's metabolisms. I do it, and like it, but I have an eating disorder. And I definitely have more energy since I've been putting a little oil in my coffee/tea in the morning rather than having nothing at all until noon...

• I like making bread like recipes is it okay on regular BP days. On non IIF days how long do you wait before eating when having the BP coffee? On the IF days am understanding correctly it's ok or good for most women to have the protein with or in the BP coffee and then nothing else till the 15-18 hours is up? Do you stay with a low carb diet? I'm not sure if it's my thyroid or the BPD or my thyroid med reacting to diet that has me fluctuating so much between being to hot then to cold. My TSH was .02 and my T3 was also low earlier this year before I started the BP. I do take an adrenal liqutrophic.