Optimal Cortisol Levels

My doctor stated that the normal range for morning cortisol levels (for an 8am test) is 6-23 mcg/dL. I am wondering if this is different than what others have researched or experienced?

I have not been able to find anything if there are differences between recommended male/female ranges either. I have been noticing symptoms of adrenal fatigue, but my cortisol levels are in the normal range so my doctor decided to not do any more testing. 

Comments

• In terms of levels, I got told they need to spot on, smack bang in the middle of the range. 14.5 for your range if going by that theory...

But I have no idea if this is right or wrong...

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

• I think besides having a value within the reference range, one must also have a normal cortisol circadian rhythm. If I´m not mistaking this is the reason why some doctors measure cortisol at least 4 times a day to evaluate the rhythm and not only 1 value at some point of time.

For me upper quartile of the reference range in the morning is a lot better, than the lower quartile. The same goes for measurements done from blood taken in the second part of the day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3475279/#!po=26.9231 - some pictures of a fairly normal cortisol rhythms.

•  

For me upper quartile of the reference range in the morning is a lot better, than the lower quartile. The same goes for measurements done from blood taken in the second part of the day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3475279/#!po=26.9231 - some pictures of a fairly normal cortisol rhythms.

Thank you for sharing that article - extremely interesting! That helps to add perspective. I am definitely in the lower quartile according to this research. 

• Thank you for sharing that article - extremely interesting! That helps to add perspective. I am definitely in the lower quartile according to this research. 

Everyone is different =) Some on this forum seem to be doing quite well with lower quartile cortisol. You may be one of them of low cortisol is not coupled with fatigue simptoms and hypoglycemia that impairs your performance.