Dante's Bio-Hacking Adventures

Recently had some incredible experiences with nootropic stacks. After finishing the touches on the one I'm currently taking, my stress levels have plummeted significantly, my income increased over 50% in 2 weeks and has stayed that high and continues to rise since (due to massively increased productivity and creativity). And my level of motivation feels limitless.

I used to struggle to get out of bed in the morning under 2 months ago ... and was a slug on the sidewalk by 5pm each day. It's been quite a turn around.

Also, when I do emwave training with the pc version, even when I deliberately try to make myself as enraged as possible, my heart rate coherence still stays at at least blue or above. I seem unable to get super-stressed even when I try to deliberately.

This has all been pretty exciting to me to see such massive effects from bio-hacking after only playing around with the hobby for a month and a half.

I'm going to start sharing my on-going experiments in this thread. I welcome any feedback.

Current experiment:

# Finding the right choline source for my stack. When I ordered aniracetam I thought taking alpha brain would be enough, but it wasn't. So, I ordered all the different choline sources online and until they arrive I'm downing 6 raw eggs per day for the choline. Works great, but I want to switch to a supplement. Once my stuff arrives, I'm going to test for the best choline source for me.

# Brain training. So far, this has been taking off extremely quickly. Playing neurogizers.com each night, dual-n-back and some other brain training tasks.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

Comments

• Welcome to the Bulletproof Forums, Dante!  Have you tried the new Choline Force supplement on Upgraded Self?

• What stacks/noots work for you?

• edited September 2014

What stacks/noots work for you?

It took me quite a bit of testing to get it figured out. What I've arrived at so far is 3 CILTEP immediately after waking. I accidentally stumbled across the effect of PDE4 inhibitors on the effects of sleep deprivation by taking vitamin D cofactors at the same time (quercetin). So, I take CILTEP immediately for its effect on countering any grogginess within 5 minutes ... plus it extends the nootropic benefits all day long as well. If I'm really groggy, I take quercetin and then it completely locks out any effects of sleep deprivation for me. So far, I've gone well over 30 hours without sleep while taking that combo without feeling tired. I don't recommend doing that of course. Sleep is better but it was a worthwhile experiment after I found the studies about it on pubmed.

I also take Alpha brain at the same time as CILTEP. Then, later I take all of the basic supplements and advanced supplements dave recommended. (the ones from his hack your supplements post and his PDF you get when you sign up for his toolkit). I take aniracetam and raw eggs an hour after waking and wash it down with bulletproof coffee.

Aniracetam again 8 hours later with fats.

I also supplement glutathione in the morning and before bed and eat a strict diet of nothing but the green section on dave's diet. Especially focusing on grass-fed beef, grass-fed butter and wild caught salmon.

I also make liberal use of mark joyner's cogni-chai recipe for all my meals: http://www.simpleology.com/blog/2013/10/cogni-chai-brain-kickstart-beverage.html

That is a food stack that has some strong and noticeable nootropic effects. I tend to replace the coconut oil with MCT oil and just drink it in a jar sometimes as well.

The main thing I notice is the effects continue to grow the longer I am on the bulletproof diet and do this stuff. Just from getting my health cleaned up. I started aniracetam several days ago and have noticed the effects were immediate and only continue to grow stronger each day I'm using it.

At first aniracetam gave me insomnia, but then I found if I just went to bed 2 hours later, and took a long ice shower at 50 degrees or below and laid on the sleep induction mat for 30m before bed, I'd get no insomnia and actually sleep less hours. So, once I figured out some new timing, no insomnia effects from it. All great upsides.

The EMwave training is definitely a core trianing tool in my opinion as well. As is neurogizers.com for learning focus. My EMwave scores noticeably shot way up as soon as I started aniracetam. I used to struggle to get above red cohrence scores fora  few minutes during sessions. Now, I start in green immediately on the setting I was at before. I save logs of everyting and my scores were 2-10x from the first time i took aniracetam and continue to remain there. I've actually had to raise the difficulty setting on the emwave pc application up a couple notches just so its even challening anymore.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

• Welcome to the Bulletproof Forums, Dante!  Have you tried the new Choline Force supplement on Upgraded Self?

I haven't tried that one yet. I think I'll test it once I finish up the Alpha Brain I have left. They both have huperzine-A so I'll need to just do one or the other at a time.

By the way, do you know anything about a need to cycle it? I've seen some talk of huperzine-A needing to be cycled and i notice that choline force contains it. Are you familiar with the idea? Necessary? recommended cycles?

• Have had many big "oops" lately as well as breakthroughs. To summarize:

# Hit choline toxicity because I didn't realize Huperuzine-A is a long-lasting effect. Often not wearing off for more than 48 hours. Ended up hitting choline levels so high I got very sick. This was arrived at, also, because I didn't realize it for what it was. I thought it was side-effects from TOO LITTLE choline while taking aniracetam. Because the side-effects mentioned online for too little were the same until it got really bad.

Lesson learned: learn the entire panel of side-effects before experimenting. Just knowing about jaw tension and a headache isn't enough. The symptoms for too much and too little were identical for me until toxicity was very high. If I had known the full symptom panel, this never would've happened.

# Stacking PDE4 inhibitors is my #1 thing to take. It doesn't drop anxiety the way aniracetam does, but it just makes you so focused and impossible to distract that you are incapable of caring about anything that may distract you. This is especially useful during the rapid fat loss protocol for ignoring hunger pains.

Bonus: PDE4 inhibitors counter the effects of sleep deprivation. I also have found it reduces my recovery times for mental stamina.

So far I've been doing CILTEP and quercetin. I now order mesimbrone (found in zembrin) and will try that.

# Getting neurotransmitter support is huge. L-phenylalanine alone made a huge difference for me. Adding in the other supporting elements for dopamine/seretonin enhances this even further.  The following article talks about anxiety, but this stuff has worked great for me despite not having an anxiety disorder. http://www.lef.org/protocols/emotional_health/anxiety_02.htm

Biggest takeaway: Before, I was prone to seeing ambiguous situations as negative as a baser reflex. With the stack I do now as well emWave, this response is gone. So I am able to simply respond to things in a detached, cold and rational manner. Exactly what I was aiming for. This benefit is, in both my experience and my opinion, far more valuable than "focus" or the other things that are commonly focused on.

I value bio-hacking more for it's ability to allow me to conquer bigger obstacles and leap further out of my comfort zone more than any amount of productivity increase or stamina increase. Where before I was, whether I realized it or not, roped in by my comfort zone. ... it's now easier to leap outside of it and experience much bigger results simply due to doing higher impact things that I would have before shyed away from.

• Just ordered a gas-mask-esque device to experiment with: http://www.trainingmask.com/

I'm doing this for very off-label uses. Namely, after reading through user feedback, some of the studies on these devices, and some of the user comments ... there is significant suggestion that it is literally impossible to breathe through this thing without taking very deep breaths and without being in good posture. This is what I aim to test.

depending on the results, this can be a great device for recovering from times where stress is high and I am unable to get myself to breathe correctly in order to recover quickly. During these times it doesn't matter if I have an emwave, because i can't focus enough to use it. I use another device I made that works great, but I suspect that the mask will work ever better based on current research.

Will report back if the mask successfully forces me to breathe deeply or choke as I am hoping. Great over-ride for the malfunctioning human body.

• edited October 2014

The experiment with the training mask is going extremely well. In part due to having already done so much of the research upfront. Indeed, the mask forces the dynamic where the body either breathes deeply or suffers oxygen deprivation. Needless to say, it tends to choose correcting its breathing patterns instead.

This thing is great for resetting my breathing rhythm when it becomes out of tune during high stress, or before/during emwave training to get my breathing going when I'm underperforming.

This is especially useful to me because my breathing tends to be very poor quality at about 2pm and right after waking and right before bed. These simply tend to be higher stress times and so there is increased tension in the breathing muscles (physically noticeable). This tension makes it almost impossible to breathe correctly. If I do some sort of meditation or similar it takes me at least 20 minutes to loosen up these muscles and get things going. This is the problem of not having a feedback mechanism to keep me focused and on-track.

Using the training mask I can very quickly get my breathing back in order in under 5 minutes. This is an off-label use of the mask. It, however, has demosntrated to be a great tool for breath training. Notably a different type of breath training than is intended by the manufacturer.

The one possible downside is that the mask creates increased pressure in the lungs. There are many potential benefits of this that have mentioned but I suspect also perhaps potential pitfalls. So I will be doing more reserach to find a sustainable use of this device in this context.

• Alpha Brain has too much hup-A at 200mcg.  Choline Force has a much safer dose at 50mcg.  I respect hup-A and I'd rather not screw around with my natural Ach recycling.  I use 50mcg no more than once every couple of months when I start studying a brand new subject or I have a huge hump to get over and need a extra long study session.

I haven't tried that one yet. I think I'll test it once I finish up the Alpha Brain I have left. They both have huperzine-A so I'll need to just do one or the other at a time.

By the way, do you know anything about a need to cycle it? I've seen some talk of huperzine-A needing to be cycled and i notice that choline force contains it. Are you familiar with the idea? Necessary? recommended cycles?

• Alpha Brain has too much hup-A at 200mcg.  Choline Force has a much safer dose at 50mcg.  I respect hup-A and I'd rather not screw around with my natural Ach recycling.  I use 50mcg no more than once every couple of months when I start studying a brand new subject or I have a huge hump to get over and need a extra long study session.

I definitely agree. I got into Alpha Brain originally not realizing the possible down-sides of huperuzine-A. After having done more research, I'm mostly avoiding it. I also don't like that their container just mixes huperuzine-A under a proprietary blend and doesn't reveal the exact dose. That is most unsettling.

My misunderstandings about Alpha Brain are what led to my hitting choline toxicity a few weeks ago. From now forward, I only plan to use huperuzine-A in a manner similar to what you mentioned. Great advice.

• Continuing experimentation with this training mask, it's definitely pretty awesome. The effect of forcing my body to breathe correctly facilitates better stamina. I don't claim this would for everyone, but for me poor breathing and anxiety are a major sticking point in my performance.

In the past, I'd get anxiety/stress building steadily across the morning and then it would become strong by mid-day and I'd have to take a longer break. Using the mask, any time I start getting stress and inappropriate breathing (Which leads to more stress), I just put the mask on and continue working (I only leave it on for 5 minutes max at this point). This immediately corrects the breathing.

Proper breathing tends to lower stress whereas improper tends to make it spiral out of control. Also stress induces improper breathing, creating a mechanism that spirals out of control since each makes the other worse. So this intervention has an incredible effect for me. The stress fades after using the mask for 5 minutes to force proper breathing, then I take it off and resume working.

This is a much more valuable response than trying to consciously practice breathing, because the ability to focus and do so is compromised in stressed situations. A mechanical object forcing it instead is much more reliable and immediate. Similar to the benefit of using emwave compared to just sitting and breathing and hope it goes well. There is no room for lost focus or a scattered mind. The proper breathing is forced and non-negotiable.

This is my first day trying this and so far the effects are pretty incredible. Will be doing more study into the maximum amount I should be doing this in a day. For now, I am limiting it to a maximum of 5 minutes at a time, 4 times per day for safety reasons. Not because I know it's unsafe, but because this is a gray area of uncertainty.

This is also of a benefit because by spacing this breathing training throughout the day I find I am more consistently breathing better even with it off. Simply the result of re-training myself.

Note: When I say breathing training above, I am talking about simply using rhythmic, deep breathing into the lower lungs and never the upper chest. I don't mean the typical breath training claims associated with these masks about making your lungs stronger, etc.

• edited October 2014

So, oxiracetam is amazing. I'm coming close to have a good daily stack that is on par with taking phenylpiracetam.

Zembrin CILTEP, aniracetam, piracetam, and oxiracetam. If I drop the piracetam, for more oxi, I definitely am getting an effect pretty close to taking phenyl. But I take piracetam for the anti-thrombotic effects so I usually don't do that. The piracetam version is definitely still quite awesome as well.

• Zembrin CILTEP + Adrafinil + Pramiracetam

Wow! Felt as strong as the first time I took phenylpiracetam. Amazing combo.