Excessive Beet Juice

Hi fellows,

Recently, in an effort to keep notching away at high blood pressure, I drank a lot of beet juice, a lot. In similar time I got this intense midwest virus that has gone around mixed with being pushed beyond my sleep deprivation limits. That's a little background just to say that I've been under extra stress. 

Now, I went through a brief bought of intense flank pain, that went away but I only urinate clear, it was too frequent now it's normal pace but clear only, unless I take some gluthione then the next time is yellow (either helping or just the stuff going straight through).

So from attempting to read around my guess is kidney trouble from the wild amount of oxalates in beets and then I found some info out there for juicing dummies like myself that beets have too much of various metals and detox whatevers that can cause damage to the liver in too great a dose. High fat/protein meals make me very tired and no urea points to liver to me. 

So my question is, uhh what is the best way to get out of this?   thanks for your help

Tagged:

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

See a doc and switch to a diet that doesn't cause tiredness/pain in the meanwhile. I'm guessing it'll be 30/30/30-ish, or even lower fat, or even lower protein.

Regardless, talk to your doc.

• ok thanks, I was hoping for some tips in the meantime but I am going to the doc on Monday

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

On a tangent to this but related to Beet Juice and quantity. We were first enlightened by Dave Weir (Paralympic multi gold medalist) experience that beetroot juice can lower blood pressure and increase stamina by taking 'shots' before and during marathon races.

Believe this may have come from the high nitrate content and the chemical processes needed to get optimum muscles working. Apparently works best during intermittent bursts of activity but nothing to do with the beetroot diet.

''Beet greens contain high levels of oxalate. The substance also occurs in the root, but at lower levels. If you have kidney stones or are on a low-oxalate diet, you should avoid over-consumption of beetroots.''

re:http://www.livestrong.com/article/432539-juice-beet/

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

With regard to stamina in sport I'd have to look everything up again, but I got into this discussion before and it's all based on an aspect of beet root that was shown in a study to work but there is nowhere near the levels found in juice as used in the study, and there is even very few companies that make beet root powder supplement that even say the concentration levels in the product. I did manage to find a supplier or country that has or requires potency labelling so he could at least take the right stuff (which was still low compared to the study) but apparently I was a jerk for ruining his placebo and the conversation ended.

Get people like that sometimes *shrugs*

Have read that eating 200g of cooked beets gives the same benefits as drinking 500ml of the juice. Now we are not sure if that means benefits as in health benefits and not increased stamina benefits. Maybe the best thing to do is is to ask Dave Weir himself and see if it was just a matter of 100% organic beets, distilled, powdered or whatever concentrated potency. We`ll get back to you on that one.

Your potency labelling info would be valuable if you have access to it and any N=1 on it usefull Jason.

ahhh an old study from 2009: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090806141520.htm

• Beets are the root portion of a vegetable. The bulbous root is eaten, but the leaves of beets may also be eaten raw, steamed, or juiced. There are both benefits and drawbacks to consuming beet juice. After talking to your doctor about whether beet juice can contribute to your optimal health, you may opt to make it a part of your daily diet.