Dealing With Shitty Neighbors

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Hey, all. I need some suggestions.

I live in an apartment complex. My next door neighbors love to play loud music during the day; it's really loud, and we can hear the bass rumbling through the wall that our apartments share. I can kind of shrug it off, however it drives my wife completely insane. I mean COMPLETELY. FUCKING. INSANE.

I've tried to talk to them about it. My wife has as well. They're unwilling to change their habits, citing "muh rights!" Apparently they think they can listen to whatever they want, at any volume they wish, until 8 PM. Maybe the local laws say something about that, who knows, but I think we can all agree that it's rude as fuck. If a neighbor came up to me and asked me to cut some shit out, I'd at least try to accomodate them. These people have no manners.

As I type this, it's 10:30 PM. There's some music blaring.

I don't give a shit about local laws, since I'm not going to pursue some legal solution to a stupid noise complaint. My wife called the cops on them once (despite my fervent protestations), and the cop just kinda shrugged, saying he couldn't do anything about it. What I need are some suggestions about how to deal with the noise (minimize it) or some other solution to the problem. Because I'm tired of this shit, and of my wife's increasingly manic reactions to it.

We've tried earplugs (they don't work). Noise-cancelling headphones don't work either. She can feel the bass coming in through the walls and it drives her mad. We can't move yet (our lease isn't up). Moving to another apartment unit is not feasible either. We're stuck in this apartment.

Any thoughts? Any hacks I might employ to help against the noise?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

lets see... noisy neighbors...no garden space....no awesome grass fed butter...makin more money with your writing....its a sign! omaha's supposed to be one of the top places to raise a family and cheapest places to live...and if you hang with the right people you don't even notice the republicans. 

otherwise,there are a variety of sound-proofing materials you could coat your wall with depending on how much you wanna spend. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

lets see... noisy neighbors...no garden space....no awesome grass fed butter...makin more money with your writing....its a sign! omaha's supposed to be one of the top places to raise a family and cheapest places to live...and if you hang with the right people you don't even notice the republicans. 

Ha! Omaha's about 10 hours away from me. I don't think I've ever been that far West before. I probably should start looking for a better place to live. I've got family in Ohio, but other than that, I'm not a huge fan of this State lol. Have you lived there your whole life? What's it like? Nebraska has a reputation for being, like, super rural, but I suppose that's not a bad thing.

I've considered soundproofing, but I don't know how well it would work. Might have to see what's available.

Oh, and another thing. I've spoken to the people who manage my apartment complex a few times about this problem. They don't care at all. So that's another dead end.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• nebraska as a whole, super rural, but the omaha metro area has like a million people (literally). i like that its big enough to have most of the good things a city has (natural grocers/wholefoods/etc., some good concerts here and there, a relatively diverse population) but also has some decent sized yards, some nice pockets of nature, and of course, agriculture, and traffic isn't super insane. it's also right in between chicago and denver, both of which are about 8 hour drives. although if you're really looking for a sane place to live, colorado might be pretty cool, if ya know what i mean. i have lived here my whole life, although i've done a decent amount of traveling for capoeira and going to see concerts. i think if i were to move i'd either go to the northwest or colorado, but i'm pretty happy here for the most part. i like being close to my folks and feel like i am helping to add something cool to this place, even if i kind of have to go against the current (HA! thats what "omaha" means!). 

either way, sounds like this apartment isn't workin. i don't know how well the soundproofing would really work either unless you want to spend some serious cash, especially if they have some booming bass going on. like, i tried to add a little bit of soundproofing to my drum room and actually shelled out probably a couple hundred bucks but it is probably still loud enough that i would be pretty annoyed if i were my housemate. thankfully i'm not, and he's so tired all the time from not being bulletproof that he can sleep through anything. either that or he's just insanely polite about it. so far no complaints from neighbors either, but we're pretty well spaced i think. 

• oh, and if you're wondering, i pay $700/month to rent a house that is like, pretty much halfway between downtown and midtown, and i have a yard big enough to fit that glorious garden. i just live with one other guy and his dog. granted, it has a slight reputation for being "in da hood", but that is pretty much unfounded from my experience. i slackline at a park just right up the street and nobody's threatened to shoot me yet. actually i think it may even have earned me some street cred, yo. 

• So, this is a super aggressive move that probably won't work and is dangerous, but my engineer dad tells this story:

He was in a motel trying to get some sleep before a big day of cross country skiing with his childhood best friend, and the people in the room next door were getting wasted and blasting the TV at the highest volume. He banged on the wall. He knocked on the door. Finally, he went outside and looked through the window, and saw that all of the occupants of the room had passed out with the lights on and the TV blasting... 

...So, assuming the whole motel was on the same circuit with the same fuse and had older wiring, he unplugged a lamp, wrapped a paper clip around the two tines of the the plug, and plugged it in to an outlet. Bam, short circuit, the whole motel went dead. 

Problem solved.  :cool:

IMPORTANT NOTE:  plug-in using only your right hand so any potential electricity goes through the right side of your chest to the ground, and not through your heart. If possible, wear a thick rubber glove and shoes with rubber soles. Choose a 120V outlet, for god's sake not a 220V. 

IF this does work in your apartment complex AND you don't get electrocuted, do it many times and you can tell the landlord "yeah, must be their bass that keeps shorting this place out." Presumably the landlord will get sick of changing fuses and tell them to turn down the subwoofer or face eviction. 

Also back up your computer first. 

Alternatively, bass travels well no matter what, but it travels especially well when in contact with solid building materials. If they simply put their subwoofer on a desk, or even on a rubber pad on the floor, the volume in their apartment will be the same, while it should be at least somewhat lessened in other apartments. 

Also, and very hypothetically, if they are listening to the radio, you could theoretically tune into the same station and run it through a noise canceling chip that you removed from a pair of noise canceling headphones. Theoretically you should be able to create an anti-radio that blasts inverse soundwaves to cancel out whatever they are listening to. 

Finally, there's the old trash can full of water leaned against their door, knock on the door and run trick. 

• I would NOT sardine the car they drive, as it is quite rude and would not fix the problem.

Let an open can of sardines(canned salmon is also an acceptable sub) sit for a few days until they start to turn bad, blend them up, put into paper cup. Cover. Early in the morning (suggested on a day that you expect no rain and some warmer temps) walk to the offenders vehicle and casually pour said "cup o rotten fish blend" into the air intake (area below the windshield wipers). Dispose of cup, go back to bed. Now when the bass rumbles you can sleep better knowing they drive a car that will smell like dead rotting fish until they get a new car.

Back when I lived in an apartment complex I would break furniture (sorry metal chair and coffee table) on my floor screaming profanity to make the party end downstairs, or call the police for noise complaints. Those neighbors moved out very quickly. Call the police with noise complaints enough and loud people move. Act a bit nuts and they don't try coming over to talk about things. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I like where this thread is headed! Hahaha

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Wait until they go out then super glue their keyholes. They will have to remove the whole lock / blast through the door. Cutting the electricity is great too. Do you have other neighbours who are similarly disturbed by this? Perhaps with a long cooperated con you could drive them out. You could somehow make them believe there is asbestos in the building... or some other condition which makes them want to get out.

Come on... just plant some fake ghosts in there! You know the tricks of the ghost trade. Gaslight them.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Use the force, Luke. Police force that is... and maybe get the landlord to listen to it... get them to realize that they are assholes and check your rights...most bulletproof....

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Surprise them by giving them a gift or showing some other type of kindness. Buying them something to dampen the bass like ACH85 said is an option.

While secretly keeping your landlord, police department, local court and/or city council informed. No mercy.

• Talking Heads...Burning down the house..

comes to mind.
  • Talk to landlord, keep a record of your complaints (time date, description).  If he/she doesn't remedy the situation, move out.  Be sure to mention you have no problem mentioning to potential tenants the reason you are moving out.  And there is no way you are going to minimize the perception of bass traveling through a dense building.

Also your neighbors are shitty.  I have a home theater system in a home with one shared wall.  I've tried my best to minimize noise transfer and I only listen to bass heavy music when my neighbors are gone during the day.  1 or 2 weekends a month I watch a movie.  They have my number, I've made it clear that I can't tell if the noise is bothering them, and if it is, just shoot me a text and I'll kill the sub volume no problem.

If they want free reign to blast music, they need to move somewhere without neighbors.  Apartment life is an exercise in living in harmony with your neighbors. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    Figure out when they would be asleep and blast your own music right up against their wall. Pick horrible stuff like cannibal corpse. Soon they will be complaining about you. See how you like it fuckos!

Or make a point of banging on the door every 15 minutes asking them to stop it. It will become super irritating for them to keep the music up loud.

It sucks you don't have any legal recourse. When I lived in London above a pizza shop, the staff would play music until very late. This was right above our bedroom. We complained to them regularly but got to the point where we called noise control. They forced them to install a volume limiter on the stereo and that was the end of our problem.

• Wait until they go out then super glue their keyholes. They will have to remove the whole lock / blast through the door. Cutting the electricity is great too. Do you have other neighbours who are similarly disturbed by this? Perhaps with a long cooperated con you could drive them out. You could somehow make them believe there is asbestos in the building... or some other condition which makes them want to get out.

Come on... just plant some fake ghosts in there! You know the tricks of the ghost trade. Gaslight them.

robert-de-niro-smoking-o.gif

• I was once pestered by someone with a microphone at an event.  They wanted me to sing.  I didn't want to sing.  I covered the microphone leaned in and quietly asked "I'm in the witness protection program are you trying to get us both killed?".  The look was priceless.  

Also, pick up a small wooden chair at a garage sale for 5 bucks. Make sure it's a bit rickety.  Then on the strategic day when neighbor will be around make certain to take it to the hallway and destroy it with a bat while screaming.  Overkill, beat the living crap out of the chair with an aluminum bat, cursing obscure sports figures will only add to the atmosphere so get creative.  Next time you ask them to turn it down they might listen.