Okay I Just Bought The Focus Brain Trainer

I just install the software,  and execute the executable file to open the application that they told me to do and BOOM!  I see the mountain ranges and back and forth it goes.

Is that there is too it?   I tried to put the infrared in the middle of my head.  I assume that is where it needs to go,  or I alternate by putting it in the middle, left and right side of my forehead.

Also these videos that show you a brain with blood flow on it?  It is for an application if you have it....I dont....is it free to get?   Is it worth it....

Comments

• The interface is pretty simple:  video runs forward as you increase blood flow to the area under the sensor, and goes in reverse as it decreases.  You get a lot of wavering back and forth most of the time.  

Look for the drop-down menus in the lower right corner of the screen.  You have the option there to select the sensitivity (I always just stick with the default 10), the response, and the video you want to play.  If I understand your question, you saw a demo video using the brain blood flow visualization.  It's just another video you can select for your training, not an application in itself.  If you get tired of looking at mountains, you can switch to that, or one of the other vids.  

• The idea is it gives you a feedback loop. This allows you to train yourself to increase blood flow on-demand. So, keep trying to and work out how to do it.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • genao87genao87 ✭✭
    edited September 2014

The interface is pretty simple:  video runs forward as you increase blood flow to the area under the sensor, and goes in reverse as it decreases.  You get a lot of wavering back and forth most of the time.  

Look for the drop-down menus in the lower right corner of the screen.  You have the option there to select the sensitivity (I always just stick with the default 10), the response, and the video you want to play.  If I understand your question, you saw a demo video using the brain blood flow visualization.  It's just another video you can select for your training, not an application in itself.  If you get tired of looking at mountains, you can switch to that, or one of the other vids.  

I see,  thank you!    what about the smooth and responsive options...i assuming to keep it at responsive since that help gives back and forth action.

so i just stare at this video and thats it?    the harder i tried to concentrate or stare at it harder, the more backwards i go. 

the red infrared light remains the middle of the forehead and thats it.   what is the fp1, fp2?    

The idea is it gives you a feedback loop. This allows you to train yourself to increase blood flow on-demand. So, keep trying to and work out how to do it.

if i complete the video all the way,   will completing the video a 2nd time all around....will that still be increasing bloodflow?  

this thing is frustrating that it is hard to move foward...i will be shock if i would be able to complete a full loop of  a video.

• I see, thank you! what about the smooth and responsive options...i assuming to keep it at responsive since that help gives back and forth action.

so i just stare at this video and thats it? the harder i tried to concentrate or stare at it harder, the more backwards i go.

the red infrared light remains the middle of the forehead and thats it. what is the fp1, fp2?

I never had any luck with the smooth option.  The video seems to pick one direction and roll that way at about the same speed no matter what you do.  Maybe I was doing it wrong, but responsive has always worked fine for me.

Staring hard or working at intensity isn't what you're going for.  You focus as much of your attention on a point on the screen, not the whole video, although you're aware of what the video is doing since it's hard not to notice that.  You don't strain at all, just stay calm and focused.  It may be challenging at first but with practice you'll figure out what focused attention feels like, and then it'll come much more naturally.  

You don't want to keep it at the center all the time.  FP1/FP2 refers to points about 1.5-2.0 cm to the left and right of the center point (FPz), respectively.  For the purposes of HEG training it's sufficient to put the dot as far to the left or right of the forehead to get as close to the vertical ridge of bone without going around it and crossing over to the side of the forehead.  Train all 3 sites (center, left, right) every session and mix up the order each time.  Search brain-trainer on Youtube and you'll find a couple of videos explaining pretty much everything you need to know about using the device (they don't call it the Upgraded Focus trainer but it's the same device and software).

• Hang on this is a device that helps you improve your focus? Have you got a link to an article about it or something?

(I'm new here)

• I see, thank you! what about the smooth and responsive options...i assuming to keep it at responsive since that help gives back and forth action.

so i just stare at this video and thats it? the harder i tried to concentrate or stare at it harder, the more backwards i go.

the red infrared light remains the middle of the forehead and thats it. what is the fp1, fp2?

I never had any luck with the smooth option.  The video seems to pick one direction and roll that way at about the same speed no matter what you do.  Maybe I was doing it wrong, but responsive has always worked fine for me.

Staring hard or working at intensity isn't what you're going for.  You focus as much of your attention on a point on the screen, not the whole video, although you're aware of what the video is doing since it's hard not to notice that.  You don't strain at all, just stay calm and focused.  It may be challenging at first but with practice you'll figure out what focused attention feels like, and then it'll come much more naturally.  

You don't want to keep it at the center all the time.  FP1/FP2 refers to points about 1.5-2.0 cm to the left and right of the center point (FPz), respectively.  For the purposes of HEG training it's sufficient to put the dot as far to the left or right of the forehead to get as close to the vertical ridge of bone without going around it and crossing over to the side of the forehead.  Train all 3 sites (center, left, right) every session and mix up the order each time.  Search brain-trainer on Youtube and you'll find a couple of videos explaining pretty much everything you need to know about using the device (they don't call it the Upgraded Focus trainer but it's the same device and software).

ah! i have to stare at a single point at the screen.  i see, wow.   was overthinking it.  i am so far doing 30 minutes session.  once a day.  want go increase to twice a day.   

staring at the single position on the screen is very similar to staring at the Shri Yantra image that some temple religious/muslim people use to stimulate the  pineal gland in the brain.   

1.5 to 2.0 away from the center of the forehead...you mean where these pads are on this guy's forehead.  that is where it is best to place the infrared light...alternating the positions...?  

jared-x-3d74bf4f8826fc4afbfb676f3096f031

• 30 minutes every day is way too much.  Start small with about 3 minutes per site every other day, then work your way up in increments of 30 seconds until you get to about 6.5-7 minutes.  There's no benefit to be had from endurance training.  In fact, overtraining will result in side effects that resemble the poor executive functions you're trying to train up, and the more you overdo it, the longer it will take for the effects to subside.  Brain-trainer.com recommends that 20 minutes every 4 days is optimal for maintenance training.  Do check out their videos at Youtube, as I'm pretty sure it's covered there.

The pic is about right, just make sure to stay on the inside of the bone ridges on either side--generally to be found where the eyebrow arches, or nearby.  When you get more advanced you can train at the corresponding points on the outside of the ridges, but for now it's best to get proficient with just the 3 frontal sites.

• Sweet jesus I just did another 30 minute session....I had a little bit of a headache on my forehead but that went away after 2 to 3 minutes...hope I didnt fry anything,  lol.

Only 3 minutes....  so I do FP1 for 3 minutes....and on the same day,  couple of hours later....i do another 3 minutes for FP2,   then another couple of hours later I do FPZ?      

Or just 3 minutes for 1 site and thats it for the whole day?

every 20 minutes every 4 days...   i am assuming then like 5 minutes a day for 4 days.... to add up to 20 minutes for the week.  alternating between the FP1, FP2, and FPZ...like I just describe above.

is this them on the link below?

• I would take HZA's advice on the training session, you're really going to mess yourself up doing that. Whenever it has to do with the brain, less is better. You're doing the equivalent of trying to run a marathon every day. Sure, you may be able to do it but you're going to really mess yourself up after awhile.

• genao87genao87 ✭✭
    edited September 2014

i am,  im learning as i go.  i mean wtf?

• Only 3 minutes.... so I do FP1 for 3 minutes....and on the same day, couple of hours later....i do another 3 minutes for FP2, then another couple of hours later I do FPZ?

Or just 3 minutes for 1 site and thats it for the whole day?

every 20 minutes every 4 days... i am assuming then like 5 minutes a day for 4 days.... to add up to 20 minutes for the week. alternating between the FP1, FP2, and FPZ...like I just describe above.

No, sorry, let me take another run at that.  What I meant to say was that you do all your sessions in one sitting.  For instance, 3 minutes at FP1, then  when that's done, immediately switch to FPz and do 3 minutes there (after taking 20-30 seconds of eyes-closed relaxed defocusing, although that's optional too), and then after that, immediately move to FP2 and do your 3 minutes there.  All in all about a 10-minute session.  Keep increasing the time until you get to about 20 minutes total.

When you get to 20 minutes, you can do a handful of different things.  You can cut out training FPz and just do FP1/FP2 for about 10 minutes each (alternating which comes first) about every 3-4 days, or you can begin practicing deactivation, ie, making the video run backward at will (currently this is what I'm doing, and I'm very very bad at it).  You can also expand to include F7 and F8 sites (in the temple area, somewhere between the eye and ear, but different for everyone, you'll have to measure to find it), and train activation/deactivation and any combination you can come up with.  If you're training deactivation, I think it's possible to train longer cumulative session times without straining too much--the key is to avoid training more than about 20 minutes total making the video go forward.  

How's that?  Is that relatively easy to follow?  I wouldn't worry about messing yourself up permanently with over training, but the side effects can be inconvenient and/or unpleasant, and can take weeks to clear up if severe enough.

• yeah i got what you saying....how long should i be doing 3 minutes each for each site?   do that for 2 weeks and then increase each site to 4 minutes each and so on until you get to 20 minutes?

i havent been recording each session i do with the software..is it necessary to record it or dont bother?

what is the purpose to go backwards...to shut down your brain and go to sleep?

since i have to alternate i better get a notebook/calendar and note down what sites i have to do first, second and last.  

dude,   i know i over trained but it seems to be already working.   i was reading your "Me and Heg" thread and you wrote alot.    i have ADD or ADHD...so i cant focus when reading or studying something...only when playing a video game....my mind just wonders off....i was reading your thread and it hit me that i didnt bother to dose off or think about something else.    i was able to read your posts fully and they were long.  

i checked out that brain-training website and they have a whole slew of gadgets....i see they have a whole brain cap...EEG...which seems to train the rest of the brain.   also thinking about that X-Wiz...dont know what that does but seems to amplify the strenght of the HEG headband...then there is U-Wiz and Q-Wiz,  though Q-Wiz seems to be very expensive and also all the stuff that comes with it.