Detox Protocol Involving Food Solids Vs Butter Fast

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the bulletproof diet but have already felt tremendous progress. I'm actually alert and energized throughout the day and have started to develop some muscles - as opposed to being skin and bone only. Now, I would like to add a detox day to my weekly regimen and I'm looking for some advice to get this off the ground. I am a full time student needing all the alertness I could possibly get - which is why I want to incorporate detoxes - but I worry that incorporating a butter-day will make me very tired and hungry. I generally eat a lot of food and have a high metabolism. My objective of doing weekly detoxes is primarily to improve energy and alertness, but I must admit I am also just very curious as to how it will make me feel over time. I'm set up with Dave's charcoal and glutathione force. 

I have two sets of concerns I was hoping to get some advice on. 

1) I am concerned I would get terribly hungry from eating only butter for a full day. Are there any food solids that do not interfere with detoxification? Would it perhaps be possible to do butter/bulletproof coffee and tea until a certain hour, say until dinner time and then have some detox-proof foods? What are your experiences in terms of hunger? I was thinking this might be a good starting point, doing some food solids for the first couple of rounds and phase them out as I go on. But clearly if having food would undermine the detoxification process I wouldn't want to do it.

2) Second, and relatedly, what are your experiences in terms of energy, alertness and subsequently sleep from doing only butter, bulletproof coffee/tea for a full day? Would you recommend trying this for the first time on a weekend? 

Obviously, if I'm going to do it I want to do it right, but I also want to tailor it to my schedule so that it can become a part of my routine on a long-term basis. Knowing myself I do better if I ease into things. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• edited September 2014

It's just the opposite in practice. Butter makes you quite full; as all healthy fats tend to. If you get hungry, eat more butter with no upper limit. After the first few days, you'll naturally be less hungry and eat less of it. So, if you need it for the first few days to help adhere to the protocol, eat as much as you need to. (keep in mind, of course, if you're not used to eating high fats in your diet, there is an upper limit simply because you'd get nausea after a certain point. If you've adjusted to a high fat diet, this wouldn't apply)

My experience with doing it for the last 4 weeks and running is this:

# Stick to the supplements very strictly or you'll feel sick (because the toxins will go unbound and run free in your body and you start to feel it. It's unhealthy and also rather unpleasant, but stick to the supplements and it isn't an issue).

# If you feel tired or sick, take more vitamin c, glutathione, or activated charcoal (whichever is up next on your daily schedule). I find that upping my dose of either of these will rapidly recovering any unwell feelings. These 3 can also be taken in relatively high amounts so this isn't an issue.

# Keep plenty of L-glutamine around. Take at least 10-15 grams any time you feel unwell, or even slightly down. It is an essential amino acid when under stressed situations, and this detox tends to qualify at times.

# As long as I stick to the above, my energy levels are still top-notch throughout the day. After the first 3 days, I had no perceivable drop in energy, except for brief lulls where I'd then counter it with more toxin binders and be back up in 10 minutes.

# I also supplement L-phenylalanine for the dopamine support. Without any dietary source, I noticed myself almost getting a bit more down which is a side effect of lacking this sort of thing. I started taking it each day and noticed I am MUCH more upbeat having the L-phenylalanine. I used to get this sort of thing from my diet, but don't on the detox protocol so I'll supplement for now.

# Try to refuel on some essential nutrients on your re-feed day if possible. You need to pound down carbs, but try to fit in other stuff. You'll feel a lot better over the next week if you do. Beef liver, grass-fed beef, and so on. I also tend to supplement whey protein isolate (micro-filtered) or upgraded whey. It contains a lot of things that I'd usually make sure are in my diet, but am unable to durnig this protocol. So I tend to have 1-2 shakes with it on the re-feed day.

It's tempting to make it some sort of cheat day, but I find i do better if i do the opposite so to speak. I'm extra picky about my food choices and try to squeeze in the most important nutrients and mosat nutrient dense foods instead. This makes me feel much better and allows me to still perform at my peak on fasting days.

# I also enhance this detox protocol further by including turmeric to potentiate glutathione on the re-feed day (the curcumin in glutathione). If you want a larger treatment of the subject of detoxing and that particularly, check out simpleology.com. if you make a free account they have a section at the top with a star icon. inside is a report on making nano-tech super nutrients in your kitchen and the bonus section of it covers detoxes. I also used the stuff in taht report to make liposomal vitamin c and glutathione at home, because it means I can take higher doses for the same money compared to buying them pre-made.

# If you struggle to sleep (particularly during the first few days), order some GABA form amazon.com. I supplement 1 gram before bed. I had to in order to even stick to the protocol for the first few days because I absolutely could not sleep AT ALL. Now, I only use this if I run into that issue again. After the first 3 days, it didn't happen anymore most of the time.

# I suspect, but can't confirm, that taking the basic supplements during the detox protocol would be a supportive factor if you're concerned about your energy levels. I was taking them when I started it so I can't give a before and after. But if you're concerned I'd advise taking dave's top 10 from his post to help with energy, drive, etc.

# and, of course, if you really have to cheat, use CILTEP stacked with another PDE4 inhibitor. I use quercetin, but I've heard that doesn't go well for some people and have heard zembrin mentioned. When stacking these, your mind becomes so razor-focused and unable to be distracted that any hunger pains become a total non-issue. It's hard to explain, but again, this is something I used during the first 3 days. After that the hunger drops away and so I didn't need to use cocktails to keep my brain from going nuts over not eating.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Dante, 

Thank you so much for your in depth reply! I really appreciate it. I will probably set myself up with some GABA and Ciltep/quercetin, just in case. 

Now, how many consecutive days do you do this for? My initial thought was to do it one day per week, would that be sufficient or would you recommend going for a little longer, if even for the first couple of rounds? Assuming you are doing it for a number of days in a row, how often would you do a re-feed?

Thanks also for the link, I haven't heard about simpleology before and that site seems interesting overall. I'm also into the DIY idea. 

• Dante, seems like you're talking about the RFLP while JosefineK is talking about the 1 day detox protocol that Jason H lays out here. Or are you detoxing for four days in a row? Either way, most of what you said is applicable to the one-day detox. 

JosefineK, the reason for not eating in Jason's detox protocol is to promote cellular autophagy. This is also the purpose of Dave's "protein fast" day, so while I'm going out on a logical limb here, it seems that avoiding protein would be the next best thing to a complete fast. However, I think you'll be surprised by your energy levels on just fat. If I were you, I'd shoot for the butter fast, but if I couldn't handle it I'd eat some veggies, as late into the detox day as possible. A starchy veg as a worst-case scenario. Do make sure that your refeed day comes the day after your detox day.

• Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot full butter then tomorrow and see how it goes. Would you say taking a good probiotic the next morning is advisable? I feel like the charcoal might just completely mop me up

• - Sorry, another question that's been bugging me for a while. On refeed days we are encouraged to consume say 150g carbs, would that be 150g of actual carbs or 150g of a carb source? I have not been able to find a source that is clear on this. Consuming 100g of sweet potato yields roughly 20g carbohydrates, so consuming up to even 100g carbs would be a big load of potatoes! 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited September 2014

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot full butter then tomorrow and see how it goes. Would you say taking a good probiotic the next morning is advisable? I feel like the charcoal might just completely mop me up

Jason's latest on that, at least in his protocol, is no probiotic. Discussed here. Nothing you do can totally clear out your microbiome, so if you return to a reasonably healthy diet after the detox day, you should be fine without supplementing a probiotic. Even if you clear out a percentage of your gut biome, each species will still have some colonies left, and they will grow back when you feed them. If you have some kind of imbalance in your gut flora, simply running a detox and then taking any old probiotic is probably not a great course of action. Not targeted enough and too haphazard. 

- Sorry, another question that's been bugging me for a while. On refeed days we are encouraged to consume say 150g carbs, would that be 150g of actual carbs or 150g of a carb source? I have not been able to find a source that is clear on this. Consuming 100g of sweet potato yields roughly 20g carbohydrates, so consuming up to even 100g carbs would be a big load of potatoes! 

Yep, it's grams of carbohydrate, not carb source. A lot of us even do grams of net carbs, so carbs-fiber. My non-exercise refeed is either a big load of sweet potatoes or 3+ cups white rice. However, I generally exercise first, in which case I have a post-workout shake with coconut water and frozen raspberries (delicious with chocolate protein powder) which significantly cuts down on the volume of starches required. But I wouldn't want to spike my blood sugar with those foods without exercise first. Potatoes are lower on the BP diet infographic because they are nightshades, but if nightshades don't bother you, you could use potatoes for variety. 

It's a lot of starch. Expect to gain water weight for a day or two. 

BTW I saw a post on here recently where someone who was super low carb (like 5g / day?!) for months said a full refeed made them sick. I chalk that up to an altered gut biome getting slammed with a lot of calories of starch. But something to watch out for if you've been extremely low carb for a while. 

• Wow, that's a LOAD of carbohydrates. Thanks for clearing that up, so far I evidently have not done the refeeds properly. Hopefully the carbs themselves won't hurt me, but I wonder about the quantity - do you think shooting for 100-150grams is sstill advisable for me, given I'm not a big dude but a skinny tall girl? 

I appreciate all your help!

Trying out the butter fast today!

• Hopefully the carbs themselves won't hurt me, but I wonder about the quantity - do you think shooting for 100-150grams is sstill advisable for me, given I'm not a big dude but a skinny tall girl? 

I appreciate all your help!

Trying out the butter fast today!

Hmm... it depends. You might poke around the women's forum and search "refeed" there; I do believe some women have benefited from refeeds around 150g net carbs. 

That said, if you are eating a BP starch every night, or generally getting >50g net carbs on most days, a smaller refeed might be appropriate. 

The refeed serves 2 purposes:

1) Gives the body some carbs to create mucous and do other stuff that's easier to do with carbs (this doesn't require 150g, but does apply to you)

2) For those who are staying low carb throughout the week and concerned with fat loss, their metabolism will start to slow down due to hormonal changes over the course of the week, and getting a big carb refeed snaps them back to baseline so they are ready for another week of low carb. (This probably does take 150g, but may not apply to you.) 

Based on your first post, it seems like you are hoping to gain muscle. It's not clear if you are worried about adding body fat. If you are worried about adding body fat, staying very low carb throughout the week with 1, or perhaps 2 bigger carb refeeds (women seem to need more for whatever reason) probably makes sense. If you'd take a percentage point or two of body fat while adding muscle, staying at a slightly higher carb intake on a daily basis (save them for dinner though, and I'm not talking anything near the carb levels of a standard American diet) with a much-less-dramatic refeed maybe once a week could be helpful, and you might even add muscle faster. Also, that's by no means a guarantee that you'd add body fat, the golden rule here is to track your results and adjust what you're doing. Some people do really well and stay lean with close to 100g carbs daily. Some people prefer drastically less. 

And now that I've talked muscle and fat gain/loss, I have to reiterate that there can be dramatic weight gain on refeed day and a day or two after. It's glycogen+water in the liver along with starchy food + water in the intestines. Not fat or muscle. 

Let us know how the butter fast goes for you. 

• The fast went well! I was surprisingly alert, though I did experience some nausea about 15 min after taking the charcoal and got a bit dizzy towards the end of the day. Nothing severe though, it was a surprisingly neutral experience. Another thing I noticed was my hair getting dirty even though I had just washed it, normally it takes several days until it does. Might have been a coincidence, however. 

Thanks for the details on the refeeds, until now I've been consuming 100g (total) sweet potato after working out, 5 nights a week, and it's kept me energized and satisfied. But perhaps I'd benefit from increasing that amount a night or two a week, I'll experiment! My main concern is not fat loss, I do not want to add any fat but also do not need to loose any, my primary goal is muscle gain and improved mental clarity and focus. 

Thanks for all your help!

• The fast went well! I was surprisingly alert, though I did experience some nausea about 15 min after taking the charcoal and got a bit dizzy towards the end of the day. Nothing severe though, it was a surprisingly neutral experience. Another thing I noticed was my hair getting dirty even though I had just washed it, normally it takes several days until it does. Might have been a coincidence, however. 

Thanks for the details on the refeeds, until now I've been consuming 100g (total) sweet potato after working out, 5 nights a week, and it's kept me energized and satisfied. But perhaps I'd benefit from increasing that amount a night or two a week, I'll experiment! My main concern is not fat loss, I do not want to add any fat but also do not need to loose any, my primary goal is muscle gain and improved mental clarity and focus. 

Thanks for all your help!

I found I got weird-sick thef irst time i took charcoal as well. But it has never returned for me since then. Who knows~

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • I believe keto diet has some secrets that are in favor of those who use it. It keeps hormone more balanced, minimizing impact of insulin and keep infection in check. However some need more carbs than the others. There are genetic mutations called porphyrias, for interested to google. Those people should not go high fat diets.

Regarding chelation, whatever method for adsorb and absorb the toxin, idea is also to replace minerals that are being missing...

If insulin is problem, and one is avoiding carbs due to it; ALA, benfotiamine, nicotinamide as well as plant antioxidants are a good option.