No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Hi everyone!

I've tried a few exercise fads and diets in my lifetime but since I turned 40, I noticed that I reached a plateau. My energy level, my body - they all stayed the same no matter what I did.

A friend turned me onto the Bulletproof community through Dave's podcasts and I was intrigued. But also intimidated. The concept of "biohacking" was a bit ominous. And I also felt that as a woman, I needed to be careful. What works for a man was not necessarily going to work for me.

I started hopping around the Bulletproof Forums and was relieved to find that others felt the same way. It was also reassuring to see people (especially women) talk about what worked for them and what didn't.

I started this thread because of an e-book I found on the forum and I was hoping we could create a conversation to focus solely on the journey that the book has taken me on. I have even seen its author on here and I hope she'll chime in and maybe answer some questions.

My life is crazy and complicated. Probably much like yours. I have two kids and a hodgepodge of jobs. I can't live in an overly structured way. But I do want to be healthier and find time and methods to take better care of myself.

So - has anyone else out there tried this three-week plan? How is it going for you? Any tweaks you'd recommend? 

My favorite parts are knowing exactly which vitamins and supplements to take (and when) and her  easy to follow plan for Bulletproof coffee + eating. I'm trying to get on board with the "less exercise" part of it b/c I'm kind of a rabid exerciser. That's a hard habit to break.

So chime in! I'd love to find other women who are trying this particular plan.

Comments

• Oops - realized as I re-read my post that I forgot to say which book it is! 

No Fail Fat Burning for Women by Skye St. John. 

http://www.amazon.com/Fail-Fat-Burning-For-Women-ebook/dp/B00MNRJVWG

• Quick question: regarding exercise. I used to be a runner until my knees gave out. I've since supplemented spinning for running b/c I like the cardio high I get from it. After spending some time on the forum and reading Skye's book, it seems like shorter HI workouts are preferable. 

Should I/can I still incorporate one or two 50 minute spin classes into my week or is that truly a waste of time?

Since I usually spin in the morning (evening workouts are really hard for me b/c I have two children), do I need to adjust anything diet-wise? Right now I have BP coffee in the morning and don't start eating until 1pm. 

Thanks!

• Hi Ellie :)

I saw your post on the protocol for women page and responded there first. I am just starting Skye's book after having already started to ease into the BP protocol. Since I'm so new to this myself I'm not going to comment on the exercise, hopefully Skye will let you know what she thinks. I'm sure I'll have some questions too once I read a little further, so far it seems a lot like the BP protocol with a few adjustments to make it especially helpful for women.

• Hi sanssoucish!

Cool! It's nice to know there are others out there using Skye's method to "ease" into the BP protocol. That's a great way of putting it. I have to say, after following her book for about two weeks now, I'm feeling really good. What are your main goals? I mostly want to learn how to eat better. I like the structure of BP coffee until 1:00 and then meals. It fits my busy lifestyle and honestly, I'm not even hungry in the mornings anymore.

One of the biggest improvements for me has been in sleeping. Her sleep hack at the back of the book (modeled after BP protocol I believe) has transformed the way I sleep. I fall asleep faster, sleep deeper, and wake up feeling ready to go. Grateful for that.

How far along are you in the process?

• Dropping in for quick note: just went to have my hair cut for first time in about six weeks. My hairdresser asked me what I'm doing differently b/c I have a ton of new hair growth and my skin looks great : )

I told her about BP + Skye!

• Hi Ellie and Sanssoucish! Wow, this is awesome. Thank you! I'd love to help any way I can. I am actually going to paste a reply below I just wrote to Sanssoucish in another thread. I hope it might answer some other questions. I go into exercise vs recreation in my reply below but from what I know of spinning, it's more short bursts of intense exercise, correct? It's not steady state pedaling. On one hand, I wouldn't recommend it as a daily activity for 50 mins at a time. On the other, this whole thing is about creating something sustainable for long-term health and fitness. If spinning is bringing you joy and healthy social interactions with other healthy people, go for it. Rest when you're tired (looks like you've got the sleep hack dialed in... awesome!). Don't do the exercise routines on days you spin. These are very targeted, explosive and powerful movements that need your full intensity and full recovery. If someone told me that if I tried this method but I couldn't surf, I wouldn't do it. Because you do spin frequently, I would suggest cutting out the HIIT sprints all together. Do the kettlebell workout instead (even if it is twice a week). This will also help with your posterior chain when in the cycling position. Thanks for starting this thread! I'm always tweaking my diet and exercise, too, so I'm happy to take thus journey together! Here's my answer to some of sanssoucish's questions:

sanssoucish, on 23 Sept 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:snapback.png

Wow Skye :0! Even if I only drop a few pounds I'll be happy. I'm only about 12, at the most 15 pounds above my goal weight. Of course most of the extra weight that I would like to get rid of is right around my middle. Just from the quick skim I've done so far it may be hard for me to stay within the exercise limits (I love to walk...perhaps I can sit in my hammock or out on my patio instead...)

The results sound like they are worth it. I would love to gain some muscle and get leaner.

FYI - I did Dr Sara Gottfried's hormone detox this past winter for over a month and lost nothing, nada, not a pound, not even an ounce! I was super careful and did not cheat so that was frustrating. However, toward the end of the detox I did get a food sensitivity test and found that I was sensitive to peas (among other things) so the daily pea protein powder smoothies with raw greens probably didn't help a whole lot. I also found that I am pretty sensitive to nuts and so I completely stopped eating nuts - kind of scary when I think that I had been eating nuts pretty much every day for years! Now after listening to Dave talk about mycotoxins and how common they are in nuts - as well as other foods - I wonder if I'm reacting to the nuts or to the toxins...either way I haven't had nuts and don't really plan on trying them again soon. I did learn a lot about my body and how it reacts to food though. 

Hi Ellie :) I would be happy to discuss my progress, sounds like we are both just starting with BP and Skye's book. Talking about it will help me stay on track too

Sanssoucish:

I totally hear you on that stubborn belly fat. It's the albatross around my neck. The good news is that we can do something about it pretty easily with some discipline, smart eating and smart exercise. Funny, I recently exchanged an email with a reader this morning who is a pro athlete looking to lean down before her season begins. I told her what I'll tell you: the bottom line is the one with the best abs is the one with the cleanest diet. If you don't mind I'm going to re-post your story in the forum Ellie started because I think what you're saying in the quote above is very important.

About Scale Weight vs Body Fat Percentage

First, those last 10-15lbs are definitely difficult. But let's distinguish between weight and body fat. Maybe going forward you can get a good idea of what your body fat percentage is? I say this because scale weight is arbitrary. And, when you do start gaining muscle, your scale weight may go up while your body fat drops. This is a good thing. Look at page 18 of the "Screw the Scale" chapter.

About Exercise

I saw that Ellie asked a question about the exercise routines I recommend in the book in the other forum, too. Before I go into too much science, I want to preface it with this: everything about losing body fat permanently should be sustainable for our unique, individual lifestyles for the long run. Or else it's a waste of our time. Why burn it all off if you're miserable, bored or denying the things you love (that bring you authentic joy)? If we can't maintain it, we're going to gain it all back and then some.

Obviously, some of these new habits will take discipline and different choices but the good news is that it basically it takes humans about 21 days to develop new habits. Ever try meditating every day for 10-15mins for 21 days? It will change your life. It did mine. I digress. When I talk about Tim Ferriss' minimum effective dose theory in the book, that applies to exercise, too. Those four short routines are the minimum that will accelerate you towards your goals. If you've already tried them you'll notice they take no time but they are incredibly tense and taxing on your system (in a good way). On page 56 I talk about "active rest." These targeted exercises are not the same as sports, recreation or active hobbies. If you love walking, swimming, bicycling, rock climbing, surfing, playing soccer... you name it, go for it. Those are for fun, comraderie and enjoying nature. I surf every chance I get. I go rock climbing when there's no surf. But when I exercise, especially with these routines, it's for one thing only: building lean muscle and burning body fat. These routines are precise movements for rapid body redesign scientifically proven and targeted to change the way your caboose looks in a pair of Levis.... among other things. This especially applies to those of us with the last extra 10-20 pounds to lose and a few more pounds of muscle we need to gain. We only do these exercises twice a week because recovery and rest are as much about your exercise routine as the actual movements. Your body needs more rest than you think.

Changing our bodies is completely dependent on changing our choices. If we want to redesign our physiques we must commit to eating foods that can make that happen. More good news: the food women should be eating to affect change is pretty awesome. Starvation is NEVER a healthy answer and neither is long-term steady state cardio.

From Body by Science by Doug McGuff, M.D.:

"We've noted that the stimulus of exercise yields the potential to do one of two things: it can stimulate positive change, or it can interfere with the adaptation process if the stimulus is brought back to the body before the adaptation process has been completed.

It might be said metaphorically that every time you work out, you are digging a hole, or making an inroad, in your energy reserves. This catabolic state of breaking down and weakening must be balanced by an anabolic state of recovery and building up. So, if you can be said to be digging a hole when you apply the exercise stimulus to the muscles, then you have to allow enough time for that hole to be filled back up (the recovery process), and you also have to allow enough time for some additional material to be piled on top of that hole (overcompensation) to bring it up to a level higher than it was before. If you start digging again before the hole is refilled, you don't make the mound bigger; you instead dig a deeper and deeper hole. How often you dig is analogous to how often you should work out."

About Legumes (including peas) and Nuts

You mentioned doing the detox but not losing even a pound and then finding out you had a pea and nut allergy. That totally makes sense. Mycotoxins aside, nuts are so chock full of Omega 6 polyunsaturated fats, no wonder you were holding on to body fat. Check out pgs 6 and 11 in the book on why. In a perfect world our diet would be about 1 Omega-3 : 1 Omega-6. Our industrialized diets now have us at around 1 Omega-3 : 15-Omega 6. Much, much higher in some of us. For obese people it's about 1:30. Omega 6 imbalance is a culprit in systemic inflammation (aka diseases of all kinds), leaky gut and... drum roll... fat gain. Use nuts, seeds and seed oils very sparingly if at all. 

Additionally, if you were consuming peas or pea protein, that was another factor in prohibiting your fat loss. Peas are legumes. They contain phytate that bind nutrients. Moreover, they are difficult for the small intestine to absorb therefore creating bad gut flora (beans, beans the musical fruit!). Eat enough and --depending on the health of you gut biome -- you're creating a toxic bacterial environment in your intestines, potential gut dysbiosis and systemic inflammation.

I know this was long-winded but I hope this helps. Give the plan I laid out in the book a shot for three weeks. You can do anything for three weeks. It's the way I finally made it over the hurdle of those last few stubborn pounds, as well as igniting muscle growth. Best of luck to you!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Quick question: regarding exercise. I used to be a runner until my knees gave out. I've since supplemented spinning for running b/c I like the cardio high I get from it. After spending some time on the forum and reading Skye's book, it seems like shorter HI workouts are preferable. 

Should I/can I still incorporate one or two 50 minute spin classes into my week or is that truly a waste of time?

Since I usually spin in the morning (evening workouts are really hard for me b/c I have two children), do I need to adjust anything diet-wise? Right now I have BP coffee in the morning and don't start eating until 1pm. 

Thanks!

Hi Ellie-

You don't really need to change anything diet wise and if you can train on BP coffee until you break the fast, that's awesome. It's what I do on days I have no choice but to exercise in the mornings. Lately I've been experimenting with a supplement drink called SuperStarch that does not spike insulin pre/post exercise. I've hit some big PR's using it but it's only been a couple weeks so I'll see how it works for the long run. Cheers! SSJ

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Thanks for starting this.  I mirror a lot of things that Ellie mentioned (just hit 40, 2 young kids, full time job with travel, active but ~ 15-20 lbs above my goal-weight, former D1 athlete; BMI 23).  I'm on Day 6 of Skye's suggested NFFBFW diet, and while I'm hopeful it will work out, I could use some support. 

I am following NFFBFW closely, with AM 'intermittent fasting' and butter tea/supplements and sleeping enough (or a lot more than I had!) -only change being I've exercised on other-than-proposed days (#2, #4, not #1, 5), but have rested afterwards...here's my questions:

1. I'm HUNGRY in the mornings. Even after/with the butter coffee (or butter tea - I only like coffee with copious amounts of sugar, which my body is happy to avoid).  I used to eat a hard-boiled egg in the mornings after a workout; now not working out and not eating /only butter coffee isn't working well.  I'm literally fantasizing about food and looking at the clock and it's hard. I've tried adding more butter.

--> Can I have 2 butter coffee/teas? Or add MCT oil? Those work for ~ 1-2 hours for me...

2. Brain is SLUGGISH at work. Foggy. Sleeping more, not drinking now - yet feel like I've been hung over, I'm so slow! Can't focus!

--> OK to have an egg (even a hard-boiled one) when I get hungry in the mornings? 

Will this just go away? Will I magically wake up and feel better? 

3. Afternoon / evening supplements - trying a host of what she suggested (If collagen gives me back my 20-year old skin, I'm forever indebted despite what the fat-monitor says!) - but WHAT are other people taking, WHEN? 

--> Have read the instructions on bottles, some with food-some without...what works for other people? 

Thanks in advance!

• So happy that you chimed in here, Skye! Thank you again for the book and for taking time to share such detailed advice here.

Hello, krsherwood. I can totally relate to what you're going through. When I first started Skye's plan I was also very hungry in the mornings. And I also felt like I had a hangover: sluggish with a slight headache. I also had GI distress (or whatever the polite way of saying that is!). I struggled for about 5 days like that. I seriously think it was my body detoxing and readjusting to this drastic change I was making. I mean, I was eating pretty crappy up until then. 

After about day five, my body did adjust. I didn't love the BP Coffee at first as it made me kind of naseous (I was adding 1tbl Kerry Gold butter and 1 tbl MCT to start). Now I'm up to 2tbl butter + 2tbl MCT. And I actually look forward to it. I have that at least once and sometimes twice before I start eating at 1pm. 

And that's crazy, right? 4 tablespoons of butter in the morning? I was convinced I would put on weight. But that hasn't happened. I've lost weight, gained muscle.

The other thing that really helped me get through that initial week was having 1/2-1tsp of Himalayan salt in a glassful of water first thing. It's hard to explain why but that has been very transformational for me. 

I've been following Skye's basic supplement regimen very closely and I also notice a difference. Especially with the collagen. My skin has been noticeably improved by drinking 1-2 tbl of Dave's upgraded collagen powder to a glass of tepid hot water every night.

I will be curious what Skye and other's have to say but I would encourage you to persevere and maybe add another BP coffee to your morning routine. YES, add MCT oil and I find that a nice sprinkling of cinnamon on top is a nice treat too.

• Thanks for starting this.  I mirror a lot of things that Ellie mentioned (just hit 40, 2 young kids, full time job with travel, active but ~ 15-20 lbs above my goal-weight, former D1 athlete; BMI 23).  I'm on Day 6 of Skye's suggested NFFBFW diet, and while I'm hopeful it will work out, I could use some support. 

I am following NFFBFW closely, with AM 'intermittent fasting' and butter tea/supplements and sleeping enough (or a lot more than I had!) -only change being I've exercised on other-than-proposed days (#2, #4, not #1, 5), but have rested afterwards...here's my questions:

1. I'm HUNGRY in the mornings. Even after/with the butter coffee (or butter tea - I only like coffee with copious amounts of sugar, which my body is happy to avoid).  I used to eat a hard-boiled egg in the mornings after a workout; now not working out and not eating /only butter coffee isn't working well.  I'm literally fantasizing about food and looking at the clock and it's hard. I've tried adding more butter.

--> Can I have 2 butter coffee/teas? Or add MCT oil? Those work for ~ 1-2 hours for me...

2. Brain is SLUGGISH at work. Foggy. Sleeping more, not drinking now - yet feel like I've been hung over, I'm so slow! Can't focus!

--> OK to have an egg (even a hard-boiled one) when I get hungry in the mornings? 

Will this just go away? Will I magically wake up and feel better? 

3. Afternoon / evening supplements - trying a host of what she suggested (If collagen gives me back my 20-year old skin, I'm forever indebted despite what the fat-monitor says!) - but WHAT are other people taking, WHEN? 

--> Have read the instructions on bottles, some with food-some without...what works for other people? 

Thanks in advance!

Hey KRSherwood!

Congrats on being on Day 6. Yes, the first few days can feel almost flu-like as your cells release toxins. The first week was rough for me but then I lterally woke up the next day feeling like a combo of Wonder Woman, Michelle Obama and Rhonda Rousey.

Ellie's advice below is pretty spot on. To combat the "keto flu" take your magnesium and potassium at night, drink a lot more water to help flush the toxins out and up your pink salt intake. As far as morning energy goes, re-read pg 67, "Kickstart Your Morning Energy and Adrenals with Pink Salt."

HUNGER

Do not fear fat. During your feeding window I want you to really up your healthy fats to comprise 80% of your meal. Keep protein moderate. Yes, have more than one butter coffee or tea. Sometimes adapting to fat can take the body a while to get used to. Take some betaine HCL with your drink and food if you find yourself nauseous. I know you're doing the tea because you loved sugar with coffee (who doesn't?!). Have you tried stevia in your coffee? Another thing I do is put ground vanilla along with my ground coffee when I brew. Awesome flavor.

Instead of adding more MCT oil to your drink, up the butter. It seems (anecdotally, I don't have the research) that when women up the MCT there's less fat loss than when they up the butter. Another idea is blending in a raw egg yolk into your coffee. It is DELICIOUS. Tastes like ice cream. If you're hungry I suggest trying the coffee with stevia, upping you butter and blending in an egg yolk. Have as much as you want until it's time to eat. And when you eat, go for it. Go to town. Fatty cuts of clean meat, fatty fish, butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocados, coconut milk (full fat), olive oil (not to cook with). Steam some cauliflower and drop a chunk of butter in there with some pink salt, garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes and blend. Soooo good. Better than mashed potatoes.

Yes, once you make healthy fat the cornerstone of your diet and have shifted your body to using fat as fuel (as it's supposed to), your hunger pangs will decrease significantly. Even after a workout. For example, today I had two butter coffees, had to lift at noon and I powerlifted very heavy, drank a SuperStarch pre-and during workout and still am not very hungry. I will probably eat once today: a big salad and beef stir fry.

Ellie is also correct about the collagen drink. I often mix warm water, collagen powder, a splash of apple cider vinegar, a dash of cinnamon, stevia to taste, and a tiny dash of cayenne for my nightcap. Tastes like a spicy hot apple cider.

So the takeaways here are:

1. Your body is healing itself right now. I know it sucks but soldier through and you WILL come out on the other side feeling like a ninja.
    2. Drink more water. Eat more pink salt. Combine the two in the morning.
    3. Healthy fat comes first. Fat will fade the hunger.
    4. You got this. You were a D1 athlete and raise two children. You totally got this.

Keep rocking. Keep us posted.

• Hey KRSherwood!

Congrats on being on Day 6. Yes, the first few days can feel almost flu-like as your cells release toxins. The first week was rough for me but then I lterally woke up the next day feeling like a combo of Wonder Woman, Michelle Obama and Rhonda Rousey.

Ellie's advice below is pretty spot on. To combat the "keto flu" take your magnesium and potassium at night, drink a lot more water to help flush the toxins out and up your pink salt intake. As far as morning energy goes, re-read pg 67, "Kickstart Your Morning Energy and Adrenals with Pink Salt."

HUNGER

Do not fear fat. During your feeding window I want you to really up your healthy fats to comprise 80% of your meal. Keep protein moderate. Yes, have more than one butter coffee or tea. Sometimes adapting to fat can take the body a while to get used to. Take some betaine HCL with your drink and food if you find yourself nauseous. I know you're doing the tea because you loved sugar with coffee (who doesn't?!). Have you tried stevia in your coffee? Another thing I do is put ground vanilla along with my ground coffee when I brew. Awesome flavor.

Instead of adding more MCT oil to your drink, up the butter. It seems (anecdotally, I don't have the research) that when women up the MCT there's less fat loss than when they up the butter. Another idea is blending in a raw egg yolk into your coffee. It is DELICIOUS. Tastes like ice cream. If you're hungry I suggest trying the coffee with stevia, upping you butter and blending in an egg yolk. Have as much as you want until it's time to eat. And when you eat, go for it. Go to town. Fatty cuts of clean meat, fatty fish, butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocados, coconut milk (full fat), olive oil (not to cook with). Steam some cauliflower and drop a chunk of butter in there with some pink salt, garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes and blend. Soooo good. Better than mashed potatoes.

Yes, once you make healthy fat the cornerstone of your diet and have shifted your body to using fat as fuel (as it's supposed to), your hunger pangs will decrease significantly. Even after a workout. For example, today I had two butter coffees, had to lift at noon and I powerlifted very heavy, drank a SuperStarch pre-and during workout and still am not very hungry. I will probably eat once today: a big salad and beef stir fry.

Ellie is also correct about the collagen drink. I often mix warm water, collagen powder, a splash of apple cider vinegar, a dash of cinnamon, stevia to taste, and a tiny dash of cayenne for my nightcap. Tastes like a spicy hot apple cider.

So the takeaways here are:

1. Your body is healing itself right now. I know it sucks but soldier through and you WILL come out on the other side feeling like a ninja.
    2. Drink more water. Eat more pink salt. Combine the two in the morning.
    3. Healthy fat comes first. Fat will fade the hunger.
    4. You got this. You were a D1 athlete and raise two children. You totally got this.

Keep rocking. Keep us posted.

I forgot to add for the brain fog: be sure you're taking your charcoal as outlined on pg 54. This will help adsorb the toxins and other environmental nasties and clear up the brain fog. Take it away from medication and other supplements. Up your D3 first thing in the morning with fat. I take 5000 IU first thing in the morning.

• Dropping in for quick note: just went to have my hair cut for first time in about six weeks. My hairdresser asked me what I'm doing differently b/c I have a ton of new hair growth and my skin looks great : )

I told her about BP + Skye!

That is awesome! I notice my nails and hair grow like crazy now.

• Hey Ellie, Skye, krsherwood :)

I am still reading your book Skye. I will be travelling for the next couple of weeks so I will try and pick a time to formally start my 10 no-carb days when I am pretty sure I will be able to pull it off - eating at other peoples houses and on the road may not be the best plan for me...I want to do this right! In the meantime I'm going to work on staying as low carb as possible. Most (if not all) days while travelling I should be able to start out with my BP coffee so I'll be off to a good start. Thanks for your feedback Skye, I did work on keeping a positive attitude despite not losing weight during the last detox, letting myself slip into negative thinking would have been allowing another form of toxin in. Perhaps I shouldn't be eating legumes at all (?) I noticed that chickpeas are one of the less toxic forms of legumes according to the BP infographic so I have been allowing myself hummus on occasion...perhaps I should go without for a while and see how my body reacts to a 'test' re-introduction after a month or so.

Since the fat I most want to reduce is around my middle would you suggest any additional abs exercises?

I may have to modify some of the exercise routines a bit because I have a very tight scapula elevator muscle (I think that's the term) which I've been seeing a massage therapist for. I'm trying to stretch it and loosen it up a bit between appointments. Apparently it's been building up for a long time, I guess I've held a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. It is slowly getting better, the first time I went in for a massage some of my cervical vertebrae had been pulled out of place by the muscle because it was so tight. The vertebrae are now in their correct spots and the muscle is not quite as tight. 

HIIT sprints should be fine for me, that shouldn't stress my shoulder at all.

I would love to do the kettlebells and to lift some weights but a lot of that is upper body work and I don't want to undo the healing on my shoulder...I hope I'm not being too cautious.

I did order some of the BP collagen, so that should be here when I get back. I need to add the activated charcoal to my routine also.

Skye, as I read a little further into the book I was glad to see that walking is considered to be 'active rest' - don't worry, I won't power walk. I just feel so good when I'm walking outside, esp in the woods.

Thanks! 

• I just finished No Fail Fat Burning for Women. Skye - thank you SO much for all of the effort you put into this!!! It is really tough to sift through all of the research available and try to recalibrate it for personal use. 

I apologize in advance if I ask something that you included in your book, but I'm in a bit of a health rut and my brain just isn't humming along like it used to :)

I was wondering how many grams of carbs you wanted us to have during your refeeds, or if there is a specific number our blood sugar should hit, or if we can tell if we have had enough using keto strips. 

I did see that you mention leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, and other health conditions as reasons to avoid certain foods, but I was wondering if your protocol is useful for healing from these issues. I noticed in a different thread you mentioned that very low carb diets were not great for healing adrenal fatigue.

Are there health conditions for which this kind of diet would not be good?? It's so hard to find a qualified doctor to consult on this kind of thing.

And for those of us looking for something as thermogenic and crave-cutting as coffee - is there anything? Have you spent any time looking into pu-erh tea?

I am 24 recovering from Lyme disease and dealing with gut problems and adrenal fatigue/possibly thyroid issues (waiting on test results right now). Other than the pink salts - which help TREMENDOUSLY!! - is there anything else you recommend? Is there a way to adapt your protocol for adrenal support? 

Skye, thank you again for getting your book out there. Can't wait to try tabata

• Hi whiteelephant 921!

Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Lyme disease in particular is very challenging. 

Isn't the salt trick so great? Such an easy way to make a difference.

Have you been doing BP coffee in the morning? 

• edited September 2014

Skye & Others:

A few quick questions:

1. What is considered a serving on the BP diet? Is one serving = one cup?

2. Like whiteelephant921, I'm curious what is the right amount of carbs on refeed days.

3. After reading around on the forums and listening to more of Dave's podcasts, I was thinking of adding:

-Vitamin A

-B12

-Folinic acid (sp?) 

-L-Glutamine

to my daily supplements. I currently do the basic list that Skye recommends in the book. Any suggestions on brands/amounts/timing of taking them?

I fell off the Skye/BP wagon over the weekend because I had to eat out twice at restaurants that did not have great food options. Feeling pretty crummy this morning (low energy, gray mood). Getting back on track today - hope to feel better.

• edited September 2014

Hey Ellie, Skye, krsherwood :)

I am still reading your book Skye. I will be travelling for the next couple of weeks so I will try and pick a time to formally start my 10 no-carb days when I am pretty sure I will be able to pull it off - eating at other peoples houses and on the road may not be the best plan for me...I want to do this right! In the meantime I'm going to work on staying as low carb as possible. Most (if not all) days while travelling I should be able to start out with my BP coffee so I'll be off to a good start. Thanks for your feedback Skye, I did work on keeping a positive attitude despite not losing weight during the last detox, letting myself slip into negative thinking would have been allowing another form of toxin in. Perhaps I shouldn't be eating legumes at all (?) I noticed that chickpeas are one of the less toxic forms of legumes according to the BP infographic so I have been allowing myself hummus on occasion...perhaps I should go without for a while and see how my body reacts to a 'test' re-introduction after a month or so.

Since the fat I most want to reduce is around my middle would you suggest any additional abs exercises?

I may have to modify some of the exercise routines a bit because I have a very tight scapula elevator muscle (I think that's the term) which I've been seeing a massage therapist for. I'm trying to stretch it and loosen it up a bit between appointments. Apparently it's been building up for a long time, I guess I've held a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. It is slowly getting better, the first time I went in for a massage some of my cervical vertebrae had been pulled out of place by the muscle because it was so tight. The vertebrae are now in their correct spots and the muscle is not quite as tight. 

HIIT sprints should be fine for me, that shouldn't stress my shoulder at all.

I would love to do the kettlebells and to lift some weights but a lot of that is upper body work and I don't want to undo the healing on my shoulder...I hope I'm not being too cautious.

I did order some of the BP collagen, so that should be here when I get back. I need to add the activated charcoal to my routine also.

Skye, as I read a little further into the book I was glad to see that walking is considered to be 'active rest' - don't worry, I won't power walk. I just feel so good when I'm walking outside, esp in the woods.

Thanks! 

Hi Sanssoucish-

I hope you're enjoying your travels and visiting with friends. Real quick:

• Go ahead and go for a power walk. Do not go for a 60+ minute hardcore endurance training session. Prolonged steady state cardio increases cortisol and decreases testosterone (this is not good for men OR women). It is a widespread and false belief that exercising (not recreation) for hours on end will 1. make you healthier; or 2. create fat loss or muscle gain. You may lose weight but a lot of that is going to be muscle. Look at a marathoner vs. a sprinter. When I gained all that weight I ran and ran and ran... I made Forrest Gump look lazy. All I ended up with is knee surgery and more of a spare tire.

• Legumes are out completely. They have triple the amount of carbohydrates to protein. The carbohydrates in beans are short chain (aka sugar). They contain phytates which make most of the nurtrients contained in them unavailable. They compromise gut health because of their inability to be digested. Basically, they are a barrier to fat loss that create inflammation in the body, leaky gut, and will work more towards holding on to fat than help accelerate its loss.

• If it's at all possible, try to find someone certified in proper kettlebell training to teach you the two-handed swing. This will actually do wonders for your back, shoulders and whole posterior chain... this is especially good for those of use who have to sit hunched forward at computers all day. I have a pretty severe shoulder injury that working with the kettlebell has greatly improved because of the strengthening of my complete posterior chain. Again, I am not a physical therapist, so if you're going to try that get someone certified to help you. Strengthening and creating functional movement for your back and upper body will be one of the best things you can do for injury recovery and prevention. Babying it will only increase atrophy and muscles will overcompensate for weak ones creating pain and misalignment. Even if you don't lift weights, start out with some resistance band exercises.

Strengthening your core is great but it doesn't matter how many ab exercises we do if the subcutaneous and visceral fat is there. You might already have great abs but if we have spare tires it means we've got some visceral (the more stubborn and dangerous fat around our organs) fat to melt. Subcutaneous fat is the fat directly under our skin that people get liposuction for... and that's why liposuction doesn't really work permanently. You can suck subcutaneous fat out... you can't do that with visceral fat. That's why the last 10-20lbs are the hardest to lose. Those last 10-20 visceral fat deposits are also the ones linked to heart disease, diabetes, etc. If your goal is to lose it, don't eat foods that create more inflammation in your body. We can't keep picking scabs and hope they heal. Same goes for healing our insides. If you want to strengthen your core look up the myotatic crunch and the cat vomit (great name). If you want to lose your spare tire, eat the right foods. Exercise for optimal fat loss and lean muscle gain. You can do this. You wouldn't be here if you couldn't. :)

Have great travels! Keep us posted!

• I just finished No Fail Fat Burning for Women. Skye - thank you SO much for all of the effort you put into this!!! It is really tough to sift through all of the research available and try to recalibrate it for personal use. 

I apologize in advance if I ask something that you included in your book, but I'm in a bit of a health rut and my brain just isn't humming along like it used to :)

I was wondering how many grams of carbs you wanted us to have during your refeeds, or if there is a specific number our blood sugar should hit, or if we can tell if we have had enough using keto strips. 

I did see that you mention leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, and other health conditions as reasons to avoid certain foods, but I was wondering if your protocol is useful for healing from these issues. I noticed in a different thread you mentioned that very low carb diets were not great for healing adrenal fatigue.

Are there health conditions for which this kind of diet would not be good?? It's so hard to find a qualified doctor to consult on this kind of thing.

And for those of us looking for something as thermogenic and crave-cutting as coffee - is there anything? Have you spent any time looking into pu-erh tea?

I am 24 recovering from Lyme disease and dealing with gut problems and adrenal fatigue/possibly thyroid issues (waiting on test results right now). Other than the pink salts - which help TREMENDOUSLY!! - is there anything else you recommend? Is there a way to adapt your protocol for adrenal support? 

Skye, thank you again for getting your book out there. Can't wait to try tabata

Hey WhiteElephant921:

Thanks so much for your feedback and taking the time to write! If you ever feel like it, a review on Amazon would be awesome and so much appreciated. I'm really trying to get the word out there to all women and word of mouth helps since most of my funds for this project went into writing the book and offering it for next to nothing. I am really sorry to hear about your experience with lyme disease. I have some friends who struggle with this and I can't imagine how it must be for you. But here's some good news: Dave Asprey researched, experimented and created this diet to overcome his own battle with lyme disease. There is a ton of evidence out there that shows excellent results in overcoming lyme by giving your body nutrients that support life and decrease inflammation. The Bulletproof Diet, The Whole 30.... these are very similar and people diagnosed with Lyme seem to do very well by eating in these health-supporting ways. Food is meant to keep us healthy after all... just depends on what we choose to ingest. You might want to also listen to Dave's podcast with Steven Kotler (author of The Rise of Superman) who also overcame lyme disease.

My only suggestion for women on carb refeed days is to keep your fat intake low later in the day when you begin to eat your safe starches. Don't worry about counting grams, blah blah blah. We need to learn to listen to our physical bodies. When you're full, stop. By low fat I don't mean non-fat on this day.... keep your first meal of the carb refeed mainly carbs with little-to-no fat, moderate protein. After that meal (if you're still hungry) you can add a bit more fat. We want to make the most of the insulin spike and getting glycogen into your muscles to kick the energy and fat burning into high gear until it's time for your next carb re-feed.

The faulty thing about Ketostix is that they only give you a sense of urine ketones which becomes useless (and false) after about a month.They don't measure betahydroxybutyrate which is the ketone body you use for fuel once you have completed adapted yourself from sugar burner to fat burner. It can really screw with you to see the strips not turn the color you'd like when you're really on the precipice of getting yourself in to full blown fat burning mode. Your more accurate bet is checking for blood ketones... and that's expensive, inconvenient, and for squeamish people like me, painful. I did just recently purchase a Ketonix Sport breath ketone analyzer. It measures acetone in breath condensate that's about as reliable as the blood samples. Of course, none of this is necessary if you just stick to the plan. Results will come.

I have been interested in trying Pu-erh tea but haven't gotten around to it. I'm pretty addicted to my coffee ;) Did you listen to Dave's podcast with Tim Ferriss on how he uses the Pu-erh? Let me know if/when you try it.

If you stick with this protocol (and it's so freaking easy) I'd put my money on a lot of your adrenal fatigue and gut issues alleviating themselves by eating anti-inflammatory foods. You're doing the pink salt in the morning and that is awesome. Women desperately need those trace minerals that we're just not getting through diet alone. I also highly recommend:

• D3 first thing in the morning
    • K2
    • Vitamin A
    • Soil-based probiotic
    • Magnesium and potassium at night

Thanks again and let me know how it goes!

• Skye & Others:

A few quick questions:

2. Like whiteelephant921, I'm curious what is the right amount of carbs on refeed days.

3. After reading around on the forums and listening to more of Dave's podcasts, I was thinking of adding:

-Vitamin A

-B12

-Folinic acid (sp?) 

-L-Glutamine

to my daily supplements. I currently do the basic list that Skye recommends in the book. Any suggestions on brands/amounts/timing of taking them?

I fell off the Skye/BP wagon over the weekend because I had to eat out twice at restaurants that did not have great food options. Feeling pretty crummy this morning (low energy, gray mood). Getting back on track today - hope to feel better.

Hey Ellie-

The silver lining of sometimes going off the cleaner foods is that it really makes you aware of how inflammatory foods/booze make you feel.... I had no idea how truly crappy I'd been feeling all those years until I turned things around. Pop some charcoal when you know you're going to be eating less than desirable foods. Drink plenty of water and most of all, be compassionate with yourself.

I wrote to WhiteElephant about the amount of carbs. Don't worry about counting your safe starches. Listen to your body. Enjoy your food. Stop when you're full. The first meal of your carb re-feed should be mainly safe starches with little fat, moderate protein. If you are hungry again for another meal during your feeding window, it's okay to add in a little more fat. Our goal here is to pump insulin into your muscles and raising the level of all your fat burning/muscle building hormones including leptin.

I use L-Glutamine after I lift. It is also great for recovery after surgeries and healing your gut. No more than 40g. I get B-12 shots in the derriere. I'm also taking Ciltep for days I need to crank on work. I noticed when I take it during PMS it impacts my emotions in a bad way. Since I've finally gotten my PMS and menstrual cycle dialed in, I never take it in the luteal phase of my cycle or when it actually begins. Outside of that, it really helps with focus but man, it makes me sweat. I ordered the Unfair Advantage.... very interested to see how that works.

Since I upped my D3 to 5000 IU my energy has been through the roof. Only take that in the morning. Also, remember to take a clean Omega 3. Aside from helping balance the Omega 6 ratio and a host of other health benefits, it also helps restrict the storage of body fat. Thanks again, Ellie, for starting this thread! Keep me posted on your progress.

• Skye & Others:

A few quick questions:

-Vitamin A

-B12

-Folinic acid (sp?) 

-L-Glutamine

Hi Ellie-

I forgot to answer your question about what constitutes a serving of the BP coffee. Yes, one cup constitutes a serving. Have a s much as you like until it's your time to break the fast.

Cheers!

SSJ

• I've just finished Skye's book and am excited to try out the protocol. A few questions for those who have already begun...

1 - BPC fasts for me cause anxiety and jitters. I do much better having BPC for "lunch" after a proteain/fat/veggie breakfast.  Is this an okay swap? (If not, I've read in the other forums to add L-theanine to avoid the bad side affect. Haven't tried this yet but I will - any other suggestions?)

2 - Where do seeds fall on the diet? Chia, flax, pumpkin, hemp, etc... I get it about nuts but are seeds also out?

3 - I went "low carb" for 2 weeks at the beginning of summer and quickly became constipated...typically I start my day with hot water with lemon, cayenne, ACV and small amount of raw honey to keep my "digestive fire" burning. Of course, this is after I have a glass of pink salt water upon waking. Any suggestions for staying compliant and regular?

FYI, I've been working on recovering my adrenals and thyroid for the last 18 months. Hormone testing is now looking good for cortisol. Estrogen & melatonin are still too low. I'm 35 and I've been trying to have a baby for the last 2 years so fertility is an important goal for me. My BF is ~23%. 

• I bit the bullet and signed up through WellnessFX to have my blood drawn and analyzed. Just got back from the Quest lab! 

I heard something on Dave's podcast the other day, he was interviewing a doctor and the guy said the word "doctor" comes from a Greek word that means "teach." Yet doctors rarely have the time, resources or knowledge base to "teach" these days. I think that's one of the reasons I'm so grateful to have found my way into the Bulletproof world (via Skye's book). Life is short and I want to take control over my mind, body, health. 

I'll be glad to post my blood results here if anyone is interested. The last time I had blood drawn was 2012 and I've been following Skye's plan for about a month or so. I've never felt better and hopefully that's reflected in my bloodwork!

• Hi Mlle.Sante and welcome to this Skye thread. I wish I could speak to your specific questions but I don't know enough about the mechanics of how all this works. I have a feeling the switch of BPC to lunch might not be recommended only because (I think) there's magic behind the timing of BPC+fasting in the morning? I'm sorry the BPC alone was making you jittery. I'll bet other people might chime in with their experiences in that regard. It did take me a few days to get over some jitters and nausea but now I'm used to it. I actually crave it which was unexpected.

• edited October 2014

I've just finished Skye's book and am excited to try out the protocol. A few questions for those who have already begun...

1 - BPC fasts for me cause anxiety and jitters. I do much better having BPC for "lunch" after a proteain/fat/veggie breakfast.  Is this an okay swap? (If not, I've read in the other forums to add L-theanine to avoid the bad side affect. Haven't tried this yet but I will - any other suggestions?)

2 - Where do seeds fall on the diet? Chia, flax, pumpkin, hemp, etc... I get it about nuts but are seeds also out?

3 - I went "low carb" for 2 weeks at the beginning of summer and quickly became constipated...typically I start my day with hot water with lemon, cayenne, ACV and small amount of raw honey to keep my "digestive fire" burning. Of course, this is after I have a glass of pink salt water upon waking. Any suggestions for staying compliant and regular?

FYI, I've been working on recovering my adrenals and thyroid for the last 18 months. Hormone testing is now looking good for cortisol. Estrogen & melatonin are still too low. I'm 35 and I've been trying to have a baby for the last 2 years so fertility is an important goal for me. My BF is ~23%. 

Hi Mlle.Sante-

• Real quick: you may want to look at other posts regarding Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratios. The seeds you mention contain a great bit of Omega 6 and are also much more prone to rancidity creating not only fat gain but systemic inflammation. If you're around 23% body fat there's a good chance your Omega 3: Omega 6 ratio is out of balance. Not to say there's anything "bad" about your BF % but typically women over 20% BF tend to have this issue. You really, really want to limit your intake of flax seed, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts ... and their corresponding oils which you want to avoid like the plague. If you have to have nuts: cashews, hazelnuts, macadamias. Eat these sparingly, ensure they're minimally processed and raw sprouted. I avoid them all together. Any helpful nutrients they contain can be sourced from other whole foods without having to ingest additional poly unsaturated fats.

• Ellie is correct in her post. I'm not exactly sure if losing body fat is also one of your goals but having a BP coffee after breaking the fast kinda defeats the purpose, especially if the coffee makes you jittery. You've more than likely taken yourself out of ketosis (or reaching ketosis) with the breakfast. That being said -- and depending on what your actual goals are -- eating a clean breakfast of high fat, moderate protein and low carb is also a healthy choice. Just depends on your goals. As humans, we aren't meant to be constantly walking around taxing our system with food. The BP intermittent fasting allows your body to cleanse and give your liver and other organs a break while you're still being nourished with high quality fat and brain boosting fuels. Consider trying tea or choffy with the butter.

• When you previously attempted "low carb" for two weeks, did you supplement with pink salt, magnesium and potassium? I realize salt is demonized in the modern diet but that's because our standard diet is based on refined carbohydrates and excess intake of other carbohydrates. When our bodies take in all this unnecessary crap it forces your kidneys to retain salt. A low carbohydrate diet makes your kidneys excrete sodium. Salt is absolutely essential for life and health. Use pink salt. Look at page 67 in the book for why. When your body becomes/and is keto-adapted it functions very differently. It prefers fat for fuel as it naturally should. We've metabolically deranged our brains and bodies into becoming sugar dependent. Your kidneys are no longer storing salt and water (bye bye bloat), hello constipation.  You need to replace everything your kidneys are purging with pink salt, magnesium and potassium. Take your magnesium and potassium at night.

• Take your raw honey, lemon, and ACV at night. Introducing those carbs (honey and lemon) into your body first thing in the morning impacts your insulin and cortisol and pretty much shuts down beneficial hormonal responses and fat burning. Adding MCT oil and collagen into that drink along with the potassium and magnesium will give you an amazing side effect of deep, quality sleep.

The first rule of fight club (just kidding).... the first rule of No Fail Fat Burning for Women is DO NOT FEAR FAT. Low carb does not mean low fat or high protein. Up your healthy fats so that they are the foundation of your diet. To burn fat, eat fat. I have a feeling this may help with fertility issues as the more our society has become fat phobic, so have we become more obese, diseased and riddled with gynecological issues. Do your carb refeeds as prescribed in the book. Best of luck and keep us posted. Also, look at page 58 about Vitamin D3 and infertility. Almost all women on a "modern" diet are D3 deficient.

• I bit the bullet and signed up through WellnessFX to have my blood drawn and analyzed. Just got back from the Quest lab! 

I heard something on Dave's podcast the other day, he was interviewing a doctor and the guy said the word "doctor" comes from a Greek word that means "teach." Yet doctors rarely have the time, resources or knowledge base to "teach" these days. I think that's one of the reasons I'm so grateful to have found my way into the Bulletproof world (via Skye's book). Life is short and I want to take control over my mind, body, health. 

I'll be glad to post my blood results here if anyone is interested. The last time I had blood drawn was 2012 and I've been following Skye's plan for about a month or so. I've never felt better and hopefully that's reflected in my bloodwork!

Hey Ellie!

That's awesome about the WellnessFX, if you don't mind sharing I bet people will be interested in hearing the results! Way to rock it, girl!

• I just wanted to throw out there that this is something we do because we love our bodies, not because we hate them. Honor every curve and let's be a new wave of women who reject what marketing messages shame us into believing we should be, physical or otherwise. Let's take back responsibility for our health and wellness. It's not about restriction and rigidity. It's about claiming our own power.

• @Skye - thank you.

I'm on day 13, and while the keto flu of days 1-8 subsided, since the first carb re-feed (which like for others - my stomach hurt after just a few baked sweet potato slices) - I feel tired again.

I'll try the pink salt in water in morning trick, and add that egg yolk to the coffee (my son loves the whites!)- thanks.

- anyone else have kids/spouse? How do you manage eating v differently from them? My family is very supportive and will eat what I do- plus carbs - but it IS odd not eating with them...

- how many carbs/day is the guideline for carb re-feed days? I recall max 30g on most days but...?

- Other recipes / ideas: #NFFBFW had some but not all options available out there; what are other good cookbooks / idea books /etc?

- exercise: I miss my early morning BarMethod classes (but am still sore from Tabata -ha!): when and how can I add this back in?

I'm a D1 lacrosse umpire - so sprint HARD for games ~ 1x/week in fall & 2-4x/week in spring. Have done 1 game since starting #NFFBFW and ate a big lamb burger afterwards. Games are 2 hours total but ~ 20 min of all-out sprints - how do I work this in with the recommended exercise? Same as any other?

Thanks in advance - Kate
  • edited October 2014

@Skye - thank you.

I'm on day 13, and while the keto flu of days 1-8 subsided, since the first carb re-feed (which like for others - my stomach hurt after just a few baked sweet potato slices) - I feel tired again.

I'll try the pink salt in water in morning trick, and add that egg yolk to the coffee (my son loves the whites!)- thanks.

- anyone else have kids/spouse? How do you manage eating v differently from them? My family is very supportive and will eat what I do- plus carbs - but it IS odd not eating with them...

- how many carbs/day is the guideline for carb re-feed days? I recall max 30g on most days but...?

- Other recipes / ideas: #NFFBFW had some but not all options available out there; what are other good cookbooks / idea books /etc?

- exercise: I miss my early morning BarMethod classes (but am still sore from Tabata -ha!): when and how can I add this back in?

I'm a D1 lacrosse umpire - so sprint HARD for games ~ 1x/week in fall & 2-4x/week in spring. Have done 1 game since starting #NFFBFW and ate a big lamb burger afterwards. Games are 2 hours total but ~ 20 min of all-out sprints - how do I work this in with the recommended exercise? Same as any other?

Thanks in advance - Kate

Hi Kate-

Good for you! Way to keep at it. Have you tried the coffee with Stevia yet? Crazy how a tiny workout like Tabata will wake up some muscles you forgot about, huh? Although these workouts are very short, they are intense and taxing on you physically and neurologically. I know it might be hard with two young ones and a partner, but try to get extra sleep on days of your workouts. Also, think about taking your Omega-3 supplement at night with your potassium and magnesium.

If missing barre is making you miserable, go for it. Barre isn't steady state cardio and it provides functional movements. I think I talked about it with Sanscoutissh (Sp?) I know I'm butchering her username on here right now. There is a different between these specific workouts I detail and things you do for pleasure. Do your barre, just not on days you do one of the high intensity workouts. On days you ref and you're sprinting hard, count that as one of your workout days for the week.

Give that pink salt a shot. I think you might feel a huge difference. Work up to 1/2 tsp. Your body needs more (pink) salt now than before. I wrote a post to Mlle.Sante about that earlier today. I think it's somewhere up above in this thread. Proud of you for staying with it!

Carb re-feeds: eat safe starches til your body says enough. Don't worry about amount. Eat them in the late afternoon through bedtime and make sure your first serving of safe starches on your carb re-feed does not include a large amount of fat. Please keep us posted!

PS- I think I might have written this to you before but keep your healthy fat intake high. Fat cuts of clean meat, fatty fish, avocados, butter, coconut oil, ghee, mct oil. Women need a lot of healthy fat. 1000 IU's of Vit D3 for every 25lbs of body weight in the am. This will also help with energy among a whole host of other things. Women are severely D3 deficient.... and D3 is actually a hormone and not a vitamin (mislabeled upon its discovery).

• Hi Skye, I am so excited to have found this page and your book, I have just finished reading the ebook and have ordered a paperback copy as I feel I need to do some "highlighting" and I can see me using it as my "nutritional" bible.  I am starting my 10 day protocol tomorrow, I am in love with BPC but I do find that when I add MCT oil I feel nauseous all morning, will I get used to this?  I am a long-distance runner and have done the Boston marathon on BPC alone, no carb loaded energy drinks.  I am looking to drop 30lbs in weight to be able to run better and to feel and look awesome.  I am 50 and 3/4 yrs old.  If I use the blood ketones to test for fat-burning mode, should I be doing this every day?  Thanks for the book, finally a woman out there who has walked the walk and can help other woman based on your own experience.  I was also excited when reading your book because I have never been a breakfast person never so I have always struggled with other diets that insisted that "breakfast is the main meal of the day".  I might start a min-blog on her to track my progress......thanks again. :cool:

• Hello fellow fat-burning warrior women :)

Still traveling and had a chance to check in tonight. Thanks for your tips Skye;

• If it's at all possible, try to find someone certified in proper kettlebell training to teach you the two-handed swing. This will actually do wonders for your back, shoulders and whole posterior chain... this is especially good for those of use who have to sit hunched forward at computers all day. I have a pretty severe shoulder injury that working with the kettlebell has greatly improved because of the strengthening of my complete posterior chain. Again, I am not a physical therapist, so if you're going to try that get someone certified to help you. Strengthening and creating functional movement for your back and upper body will be one of the best things you can do for injury recovery and prevention. Babying it will only increase atrophy and muscles will overcompensate for weak ones creating pain and misalignment. Even if you don't lift weights, start out with some resistance band exercises.

Strengthening your core is great but it doesn't matter how many ab exercises we do if the subcutaneous and visceral fat is there. You might already have great abs but if we have spare tires it means we've got some visceral (the more stubborn and dangerous fat around our organs) fat to melt. Subcutaneous fat is the fat directly under our skin that people get liposuction for... and that's why liposuction doesn't really work permanently. You can suck subcutaneous fat out... you can't do that with visceral fat. That's why the last 10-20lbs are the hardest to lose. Those last 10-20 visceral fat deposits are also the ones linked to heart disease, diabetes, etc. If your goal is to lose it, don't eat foods that create more inflammation in your body. We can't keep picking scabs and hope they heal. Same goes for healing our insides. If you want to strengthen your core look up the myotatic crunch and the cat vomit (great name). If you want to lose your spare tire, eat the right foods. Exercise for optimal fat loss and lean muscle gain. You can do this. You wouldn't be here if you couldn't. (still not doing a proper quote - this is Skye's advice!)

My sister is a PT and I will be seeing her on Sunday so I'll ask her about the kettlebells. Thank you soooo much for your feedback and encouragement! It's helpful to read everyone's posts and questions. I'll have to read everything over again when I have some time to myself at home. This is helping me stay motivated! I have been taking walks just about every day, I made some time for meditation this morning, most mornings I've been able to have my BP coffee and most days I've been able to eat about 90% paleo.