No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Hi Whiteelephant.  I actually do take  L-tyrosine in the morning.  I was suffering with mild depression earlier this year and I found it helpful with a number of other aminos which I no longer take.  However I still take the tyrosine as it gives me a bit of get up and go.  However this way of eating seems to help that anyway.

I have not had a thyroid test done as yet.  I have just had a basic saliva test done for estrogen, progesterone, testosterone DHEA-S and morning cortisol.  Trying to keep costs in mind.    I can't help you on ghee I'm afraid.  However on impulse control, read The Chimp Paradox, it might help you think about managing what is going on in your mind when you start eating http://www.amazon.com/The-Chimp-Paradox-Management-Confidence/dp/039916359X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414647100&sr=8-1&keywords=chimp+paradox

• I'm due my first carb refeed tomorrow after the 10 day carb depletion and its kind of daunting, I can eat rice dammit! I'm eating clean quite well according to Skye's book but not the exercise bit really unfort, legs are still a bit tender so waiting till next week before starting any explosive type exercise.

I'm back to cycling which is not very BP but it's the cheapest and quickest way for me to get to work, max altogether 40 mins per day, 10km. Not a very challenging cycle either, mostly flat. Apart from that I sit down all day in work so it's good to get moving in some way.

will keep going for the 21 days, halfway through already and then see where I'm at.

• I'm due my first carb refeed tomorrow after the 10 day carb depletion and its kind of daunting, I can eat rice dammit! I'm eating clean quite well according to Skye's book but not the exercise bit really unfort, legs are still a bit tender so waiting till next week before starting any explosive type exercise.

I'm back to cycling which is not very BP but it's the cheapest and quickest way for me to get to work, max altogether 40 mins per day, 10km. Not a very challenging cycle either, mostly flat. Apart from that I sit down all day in work so it's good to get moving in some way.

will keep going for the 21 days, halfway through already and then see where I'm at.

Let us know what happens after the refeed. I'm really not looking forward to mine, but understand the "why" of doing it.

I have not gone near a heavy barbell since getting started on the program (nervous about that), and I haven't gotten on the scale; but things are looking sharper in the mirror already and energy is good. I am getting lots of relief by taking the Betaine HCL with the BPC.

CocoaCat, I used to cycle to work back in the old NYC days! It was so good for my head. My job is exceptionally sedentary, I've been trying to implement this program and recruit co-workers to do it too. Every little bit helps, I think.

• karen g - thanks for the book recommendation! i will definitely check that out tomorrow. looks interesting. If you have insurance and can find someone in network, getting a thyroid test can be cheap - just your normal co pay. I see that you are in CA - if you are within driving distance of San Diego or LA (and SF im sure, but i dont have any names of anyone up there) there are some great people. I know that people with hypothyroid report improvement with l tyrosine. and as im sure you know, depression and hypothyroid go hand in hand. 

leez - what kind of difference did you notice after adding the betaine hcl with the bpc? im also curious to know how much you take, relative to the amount of butter and mct in your coffee. also, are you chugging your coffee or sipping it over several hours and taking the betaine hcl with your first sip?

anyone else benefiting from the betaine hcl?

• Hello fellow BP fat-burners,

Just read through a few of the latest posts, so a few of my thoughts on what stood out to me. The results of the carb refeeds can be a little intimidating, esp if weight loss is one of your goals. So far I have found that I do gain a bit of weight/bloat the day after a re-feed but between two and at the most 3 days after I am back down to where I was before the re-feed if not lower. I'm trying to look at it as necessary to take a step 'back' every now and then so I can keep taking steps 'forward'.

Re. making ghee - I googled making your own ghee and followed the instructions for one site that looked particularly helpful to me. I wish I could recall the site but I can't. I left the page open the first time I made ghee and checked it frequently to make sure I was following the steps correctly and that my ghee-in-process looked like it was supposed to (photos really helped there). After the first time I made it and got the jist of it down I can now make it while I am cooking other things so I don't just have to babysit my ghee. It does require frequent attention though! Do not walk away from it once you've started the process! Kerrygold really does make the best ghee from what I've tried to far, it ends up this beautiful, almost flourescent yellow once it's cooled. Making your own is cheaper than buying it, and the ghee is probably better too.

It's good reading all of your posts, gives me a little boost and helps me stay on track...we're not doing this alone!

Overall I'm feeling good, I seem to be getting the results I'm looking for. I still need to buy a scale that measures body fat...my husband is not thrilled that I have been spending more $ at the grocery store and farmers market on all this grass fed and free range meat...although he has said he can't argue with the results and he has watched some podcasts and educational stuff about BP diet/eating paleo and it's health benefits, so he's on board with that too, he just winces every time he sees a receipt. So I'm waiting a bit before I order the scale...just spreading out the spending a bit ;) I am still struggling with the morning salt...yuck! It makes me want to vomit, which is not my favorite way to start the day. I have tried putting it in mineral water, that helps. I also tried drinking it with a straw, that helps too. Nothing has completely stopped my gag reflex with the salt water, maybe I'll get used to it over time.

Take care and stay strong!

• karen g - thanks for the book recommendation! i will definitely check that out tomorrow. looks interesting. If you have insurance and can find someone in network, getting a thyroid test can be cheap - just your normal co pay. I see that you are in CA - if you are within driving distance of San Diego or LA (and SF im sure, but i dont have any names of anyone up there) there are some great people. I know that people with hypothyroid report improvement with l tyrosine. and as im sure you know, depression and hypothyroid go hand in hand. 

leez - what kind of difference did you notice after adding the betaine hcl with the bpc? im also curious to know how much you take, relative to the amount of butter and mct in your coffee. also, are you chugging your coffee or sipping it over several hours and taking the betaine hcl with your first sip?

anyone else benefiting from the betaine hcl?

I am up at 4:50 am during the week and have the water/probiotic first thing. I have BPC #1 @ around 5:30, 1 Tbsp butter/1tbsp Brain Octane. That one goes down just fine without the Betaine HCL. It's the BPC #2 that I make at work around 9:30 that makes me queasy. I take 1 capsule of Thorne Betaine HCL/Pepsin with the first sip and it somehow takes the "yeesh" out of the second coffee. I wouldn't say I chug it, but I do drink it within 15 minutes. I can't stand it to be too cold, plus there's the factor of the co-worker passerby who catches a glimpse of my odd looking beverage and wants to know what the heck it is. I really don't want to go into details with anyone (except youse guys) about this experiment, I'm still collecting data. BPC#2 combined with a hectic work day get me through to 1 pm when I eat lunch. Twice I have made a third one (or actually, half a third one) @ 2 pm to get me through an afternoon slump.

• I think I'll get on the scale tomorrow morning. Karen G, did you? I also think I'll need to break protocol a little, tomorrow is partner WOD day @ Crossfit and I haven't seen my partner all week (and she's had a bad week, so I don't want to blow her off). I know I'm not scheduled to train til Monday (plus the dreaded refeed), but I'm going to give it a shot. It will be interesting to see if all my worries about losing strength are legit or not. Also, I may need to spend all Sunday doing heavy yard work (freekin leaves!). I have maintained consistently "moderate" ketostix readings and want to continue. Maybe eat more butter and avocado to fuel throughout the day?

One thing I've noticed so far is the complete absence of morning joint soreness the last several mornings. Even in my bothersome shoulders. Not certain if it's due to easing back on training or lack of inflammation or both. :grin:

• Gonna weigh tomorrow morning.  It's re-feed day tomorrow too.  I'm more interested in my BF % though.

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

...I know you're doing the tea because you loved sugar with coffee (who doesn't?!). Have you tried stevia in your coffee? 

My wife used to be a HUGE tea drinker, but now uses stevia in her BPC. Since she can't stand the taste of coffee, so she adds unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon with the stevia powder before blending. With this combo, she can't start a morning without it and LOVES her coffee. Creativity works!

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• Leez,  good to hear you are feeling and looking sharper.  I must look into the betaine hcl, Im hesitant to spend any more on supplements, I can be a bit of supplement junkie and seem to spend a ton at the  health food shop but I find the bp coffee a little hard to stomach.  Bp mocha tho has me hooked! Interesting e book there, I seem to get doubly tight shoulders and neck because of my posture on the bike and sitting down at a keyboard all day.  Going to start weekly massages for a couple of weeks cos my back is so knotted! 

my carb reefed was a little bit uneventful, ended up in a chinese restaurant last night for some mediocre szechuan beef and veg but heres the good part, there was rice!!  Now I can have it every 3 days now it seems.  Unfort I don't weigh myself so can't give concrete measurements on if I gained water weight etc but Im not feeling too bloated. Still eating BP on the green side as much as possible.  Im feeling better about the whole diet now, the first week of the carb depletion was hard cos I wasn't that prepared but now Im just loving that I can throw butter into steamed cauliflower and not feel guilty or gain a spare tyre because of the fat cos everything else is so clean.

Last night went to the cinema and didn't indulge in the popcorn and chocs like i normally do. Husband had it with diet coke but I had a big bottle of water to keep me satisfied and gave me something to do with my hands. 

3rd weekend in a row without alcohol, even though Im not drinking during the week Im highlighting weekend because that is quite the challenge for me to not hit the chocs and white wine on a Friday night.  I can't say Im having any less fun without it.  I totally enjoy waking up without feeling groggy on sat and sun mornings. In relation to Skye's 21 day protocol Im now 12 days in so I could have a drink in 9 days time if I want to, but will I want to is the question? 

• Awesome CocoaCat! It's great to hear about your progress! It's amazing how satisfying water can be instead of popcorn and soda once you see the results - right!? If you don't mind me chipping in my 2 cents I would say no to the alcohol...have a piece of super-dark chocolate instead (assuming you're a chocolate lover) and s-a-v-o-r that chocolate! A bite of dark chocolate has become my new treat on this plan...yum :D

• One month since I started BP and just over 21 days since I started Skye's protocol.  The net result is 1lb loss and 1.5% body fat.  To say I'm gutted on the weight loss front is an understatement, but I am pleased with the BF result.  Going to give it another month but so far it is as much of a grind as any other regime.

• Question re BRANDS- what do you ladies use for the various supplements & even the coffee?

I haven't invested in the Dave Asprey versions - just using what I find @ Whole Foods/ etc.

Those who've tried a variety of brands - what works? What to look out for? What do you swear by (or swear against)?

I've been doing this for 6 weeks and have had some cheats (almost all alcohol); but generally have dramatically reduced my alcohol & sugar consumption, as well as dairy & bread products - I've lost a few lbs and feel good. Best- my skin is seriously glowing. I had some cheese, & next day a massive spot... So there you have it.

I may go back to the 10-day initial carb depletion because my fat loss has slowed with every mistake (duh).

I've found travel and work dinners with fixed menus the hardest (I do both a lot); and I haven't really exercised perfectly because I only can in the mornings and love (miss) my BarMethod classes (so have just gone back to them because they feel so darned good).

Karen G - take heart & stick with it; perhaps fiddle with the supplements; timing of eating things?

Love this forum - thank Skye for writing the book and all y'all for chatting about doin' the protocol here :-)
  • I'm using BP coffee both caf and decaf. I shop in whole foods so get everything from there or the Vitamin Shoppe

Kerrygold or fond o foods German butter

Epic bars

Salmon ranch pastured duck eggs

Applewood farm bacon

Taylor's broccoli slaw

Raw organic Balinese cacao powder

Green leaf stevia

Lindt 90%

Supplements. Am away at the moment so need to check the brands when I get back. Jarrow is one of the brands. I buy the MCT glutathione and upgraded charcoalfrom the BP site but buy everything else locally.

• One month since I started BP and just over 21 days since I started Skye's protocol.  The net result is 1lb loss and 1.5% body fat.  To say I'm gutted on the weight loss front is an understatement, but I am pleased with the BF result.  Going to give it another month but so far it is as much of a grind as any other regime.

Are you close to your goal weight?  One thing, when you lose it slowly it not likely to reappear.  As long as your sleeping well and losing that's an accomplishment to be proud of.  Losing weight for me usually means some sleep disturbance which leads to a viscious circle.  This is not the case when following the BP protocol with proper refeeds every third day for me.  Focus on being healthy rather than numbers.  Thanks for the menu sharing as well.  Today my lunch consisted of :

one soft boiled egg

a large spinach salad with a dosh of Dijon/Coconut cream for a dressing

1/2 an avocado

Cooking a roast beef for supper with another salad

BP ice cream for dessert (small serving)

Also did salt water this morning

Looking forward to refeed day tomorrow.  Not weighing for another week yet.