No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Aimee, I can tell you that my cycle has improved dramatically as I've made various changes to my food, sleep and exercise. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what helped the most, but as I approached 40, my cycles were getting pretty intense: bad PMS, cramps, and such heavy bleeding that I couldn't keep up even with tampons +maxipads (sorry if TMI!). I'm pretty sure there would have been some multi-syllable diagnosis had I taken these symptoms to my doctor, but I figured that first I should get serious about food quality, exercise and sleep. I did - made lots of changes over many months -  and now I have easy periods. Very regular, no PMS, no cramping, a few days of bleeding with no fuss. The only problem is that since I never think about my period I have to be more careful about tracking my dates so I know when to expect it. 

There's some wonderful work on different phases of our cycles - that at certain parts of the cycle, we do well with new, creative work and at others we're prone to more introspection and getting our physical and mental environments in order. There's one woman, maybe a dr, who often speaks at paleo events and who's done a lot of interesting work in this regard. Anyone know who that is?

Stephanie Ruper. She is a no BS genius when it comes to hacking your hormones. If I can't make you a believer in carb re-feeds, read her book. It's worth every penny.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Check out Dave's podcast with Ben Lynch.  Small changes can make a huge difference.  I do believe Ben's suggestions have corrected my hypothyroidism in just one month!

• Really hope that eases up for you via this way of eating Aimee.  I hate the way one has to feel apologetic about these very female conditions.  That you feel like that on a monthly basis is definitely not 'normal' - and I'm glad you're not accepting it!  I hate that so many women probably do accept it, because they don't know better.

• Amen, sister! I don't think many women are completely aware (thanks marketing!) of what alcohol truly does to their health, hormones and inability to burn fat.

Glad you agree.  It's taken for me to step outside of the loop to see alcohol for what it really is.  Recently my SIL and her sister went to Barcelona for a celebratory weekend.  Every single picture they uploaded to Facebook of their travels was a close up of a different alcoholic drink - the obligatory glass of champagne at the airport catching the 6am flight (!!), the immediate drink at the hotel as soon as you arrive, the cocktail at the night out, etc etc etc.  It's insane!

Quitting alcohol is the best thing I have ever done.  I hope never to go back to it.  This is partly because life is great (and just more honest) without it.  But also because I had started to notice my slight descent down that slippery slope, and didn't like the kind of drinking I was doing.  I wish 'not drinking' was more normalised, it's also insane that you have to justify NOT taking this drug - unlike all others.

• Skye - I was diagnosed with Endometriosis as well, however I never got the surgery to confirm it, mostly because the doctors told me that if they saw a problem they would do a full hysterectomy without my consent. Yikes! Doctors can be scary. I do fully believe in managing with foods and supplements which is why I was thankful to read your book. Also - no artificial sweeteners, I run away from any programs that suggest them. And I also fully agree with your carb re-feed suggestions. The lower carb I stay, the less weight I loss, but it's about the TYPE of carbs you put into your body. Interestingly enough I found that white rice always agreed with me more than brown, so I will be enjoying some white rice on my refeed day on Saturday! Thanks for the reply, it's pretty great to have a more personal connection while on a food plan with a purpose. You are amazing, truly. I will look into that book :) 

Clemency - I missed the part where you had given up alcohol - congrats :) My mother always taught me to listen to my body, and never accept being told something was normal when I feel it's not, I am thankful for that. However the answer has never lived in traditional medicine for me. Keep up the great work! 

-Aimee

• Skye - I was diagnosed with Endometriosis as well, however I never got the surgery to confirm it, mostly because the doctors told me that if they saw a problem they would do a full hysterectomy without my consent. 

what?!!! This kind of thing drives me nuts...

• Musicmama - I was only about 20, it scared the crap out of me. 

• Musicmama - I was only about 20, it scared the crap out of me. 

no, no, no, no... 

I'm glad you didn't go through with it, but it's so scary that they thought that was a reasonable thing to do (to a 20yo no less).

• Karen g - let us know if you try Superstarch. I have also noticed it difficult to stay so low carb after blowing my adrenal fuse. When I could still drink the caffeinated coffee I was fine but now that I can't its struggle city - I just feel frazzled and foggy with too few carbs and my sleep tracker reflects poor rest. Have you been able to stick with the plan?

My update: something is off. Not sleeping well. Poor concentration, lack of motivation, and general lethargy. FRAZZLED until I have some protein around noon, so maybe I'll add some to my bp tea/bone broth. Not giving up hope - but definitely looking to add supplements to my regimen. Piracetam maybe? CILTEP? If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

A few people have mentioned unfair advantage - could you tell us more about what it has done for you?

Hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving if you celebrated!
  • Musicmama - it's shocking that it's acceptable for doctors to do that, right? (I thought thats what you meant :) )

KarenG - I believe you may be my brother's co-worker out in SF! He passed along some info about this plan that you had told him, thank you :) 

-Aimee

• Righto.  My Tracy Reifkind book and 8kg kettle bell arrived this afternoon.  My children are with their dad for the weekend, and I'm off to bed for an early night and to read the book ready to go tomorrow.

Eeek!

x

• Hey Angitrap-

Welcome! I don't think you're alone here with yo-yo starvation dieting. What it does to our bodies (depending on the severity and extremes of self-induced metabolic derangement) is going to determine the rate at which we heal. Of course other factors play into this. Age, bodyfat, other health issues.

If you could give us some specifics, we could probably help you out a bit more. What's your bodyfat now and what is your goal bodyfat? Any other health issues? What do your carb refeeds look like? What are you consuming on non-refeed days?

My bodyfat is 34% and I am 51. I don't really have a goal bodyfat percentage. I just want to be rid of the midsection fat and be strong as I age.

On my non-refeed days I usually eat grass fed beef ( I love short ribs, and I buy them on Saturday from my local farmer and slow roast them for the week). I take the meat jello and cook napa cabbage and kale or whatever I get at the market with ghee and coconut oil. My eating window is from 1-9 each day. 

I have 'slow' thyroid and take Armour Thyroid- low dose daily, and I am post menopausal, but I am healthy overall. My refeed days include parboiled white rice or sweet potato with my last meal of the day.

I have added collagen in the mornings now, but feel hungry and have been having cravings for the last couple weeks- out of control! I bought Dave's new book as an addition to yours, so I'm going to try to find my happy place and start over. Thanks for your help!

• Musicmama - it's shocking that it's acceptable for doctors to do that, right? (I thought thats what you meant :) )

-Aimee

Yep, that's what I meant! 

• Karen GKaren G
    edited December 2014

Hi AimeeR - glad to meet you!  Tell your bro that my Bulletproof Diet book arrived this week too and I intend to read it on the flight to the UK tomorrow.  I downloaded Dave's Food Detective app.  However I think it might need your bro's expertise to make it better!  Whiteelephant921, I'm not going to try the superstartch as I don't eat corn.  

I have started properly just today as I have had one or two distractions this past week.  I have been taking UA for a week and it did help me pull an 18 hour work stretch yesterday.  I'm sleeping like a baby too but don't know if that is UA or the collagen powder (but I take that in the morning with BF decaf rather than at night).  However I'm also taking Super Elixir so currently throwing the kitchen sink in the name of my health and mental performance.

• Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

I just did my first kettlebell workout - loved it, although felt my lower back twinging.  I tweaked around with my technique but just couldn't seem to be able to do it in a way that didn't put pressure on my lower back.  Fingers crossed I feel okay tomorrow.  Although my heart rate went up a lot, and I was clearly working out, it wasn't HORRIFIC.  I think I was expecting it to be harder as I haven't worked out for at least 2 years, and have approx 65 pounds to lose.  (I fully expect to eat my words when I'm aching all over in the morning!).

Onto my next concern, if anyone has any thoughts.  I just had my first carb re-feed.  Had leek and broccoli gently sauteed in about 2 tbsp olive oil, then added about 125g chopped wild salmon and 200g cooked basmati rice, with a drizzle of gluten free tamari.  I'm feeling guilty/worried now!  Was that too many carbs?  What should I expect to happen now?  Clearly I'll be knocked out of ketosis, and no doubt my weight will be higher tomorrow.  Think I need to read up on carb re-feeds and why they're crucial.

• Clemency a - don't panic!! It's a learning process :) next time you refers try to have AS LITTLE fat as possible - like 1 tsp or none at all. You want the carbs to spike your insulin so your fat burning hormones will keep chugging along. Also try to limit your olive oil (has a lot of omega six) and make sure that what you do consume is high quality. you may have seen the UC Davis study that showed about 66 percent (something like that) of oils labeled olive oil having vegetable oil in them - and that stuff is awful! I also noticed you seem to be measuring your food. Be careful not to get hooked on this as - and I speak from personal experience on this one - it can be hard to stop. It's easy to get anxious about food, but remember that's it's about weight loss only because it's REALLY about HEALTH! :) stressing out isnt healthy - and will actually hinder weight loss. I totally stress out too, but it's totally counter productive. Keep us posted on your progress! We're all rooting for you
  • Next time you REFEED** not "refers"
  • hmeyershmeyers
    edited December 2014

Hello everyone, 

I've just read this entire thread and am now all caught up. I am very impressed with the tenacity and discipline that has been evidenced by those who have posted. YOU are amazing!

I have had severe health problems these past 3+ years and I am currently on short term disability. I have a laundry list of issues but I am under the care of a wonderful Integrative/functional medicine doctor (this past year) and we have slowly been addressing underlying issues rather like peeling the layers of an onion. 

A few things we have addressed: SIBO, Leaky Gut, and heavy metals. I have just finished 8 rounds of bi-weekly detox with dmsa. I have done the elimination diet, got an Alcat test and eliminated those foods and on and on. (I have also been taking armor thyroid for about 5 years now)

I have a significant amount of fat to lose. At one point I just stopped losing weight no matter what I did. My doctor assures me that once we sort out all my issues it should start coming off. 

My husband needed to lose a few pounds so went low carb where he easily loses while I on the other hand do not. But, I have taken advantage of his diet. I also, added in some carbs (usually white rice) about 2 days a week so I wouldn't get discouraged about not losing any weight. 

I am a biohacker and read everything I can (I'm obsessed, so my husband thinks :smile: ). I stumbled upon Bulletproof coffee a few months ago and love, Love LOVE! it. I bought Dave's book and wanted to see what my fellow gender were saying about it when I came across this thread.  Skye, I bought your book!!! Wonderful! I wrote a review. 

A couple of thoughts I had while reading through ( I had a lot actually but I made notes on these) was, about pain. I think Ubermama and some one else specifically mentioned these. One of the first things I did on my journey was up my D3. ( I take 10,000) and my pain significantly abated. It appears I don't process it very well. (I have recently added the V. K's)

The other one was regarding adrenal fatigue and coffee reactions. From what Dave and others have said a lot of this is due to the Mycotoxins in your coffee. If you are not drinking single source, wet processed, organic coffee that could be causing the issues. In Dave's book he does address adrenal issues. 

Someone mentioned Piracetam. I love it. I had developed aphasia (inability to find words) and the Piracetam has helped that. You can get some good info on Reddit about Nootropics to help you decide which racetam is right for you. I take both Piracetam and Aniracetam but if I had to take only one it would be Piracetam. 

Lastly: I am 60 years old and I have been in Menopause for 3 years. 

Ahhh.. I can go on.  Glad to be here.

Hugs

• Clemency a - don't panic!! It's a learning process :) next time you refers try to have AS LITTLE fat as possible - like 1 tsp or none at all. You want the carbs to spike your insulin so your fat burning hormones will keep chugging along. Also try to limit your olive oil (has a lot of omega six) and make sure that what you do consume is high quality. you may have seen the UC Davis study that showed about 66 percent (something like that) of oils labeled olive oil having vegetable oil in them - and that stuff is awful! I also noticed you seem to be measuring your food. Be careful not to get hooked on this as - and I speak from personal experience on this one - it can be hard to stop. It's easy to get anxious about food, but remember that's it's about weight loss only because it's REALLY about HEALTH! :) stressing out isnt healthy - and will actually hinder weight loss. I totally stress out too, but it's totally counter productive. Keep us posted on your progress! We're all rooting for you

Thanks for this :)  I was going from Skye's book, where she says she has a baked sweet potato with a hunk of butter...  :???:   That's interesting re. the olive oil, I use a good quality one but clearly there is no guarantee.  I'm not actually measuring my food but just estimated it because I wondered if there was a magic number of carbs I should be aiming for.  I reckon I probably had 60-70g worth.  Which in the grand scheme of things, considering I had no carbs other than that yesterday, is really not very much.  In fact is that enough for a re-feed?!

Really appreciate your input, thank you.  I am very excited to be doing this.  Completed my first kettlebell workout yesterday too - this is quite something because I have not exercised in about two years and had become almost phobic of doing anything.  I separated from my husband almost two years ago and the weight piled on.  I'm finally feeling ready to confront my health and take care of ME - the past two years has felt like constant fire fighting and I've had to use all my energy to look after my twin 4 yr old daughters!

• Clemency, be patient with yourself on this road! It's really amazing what kind of healing and recovery our bodies can do. Some changes you'll notice very quickly and others will take time, but you're pointed in the right direction. I've been paleo and pretty close to BP for a while, and I'm at the stage of making little adjustments and seeing how I feel. It's pretty fun and satisfying but it's taken a while - and various stages of making changes - to get to this point. For you, the IVF, motherhood of twins, a break up.... those are all pretty intense, so please be easy on yourself as make these changes.

Welcome, HMeyers and Angitrap! And everyone else, it's so good to see your updates. (Casey, are you still here? how's it going?)

• KarenG - I think he plans to buy that book for my entire family for Christmas, lol. Nice to meet you :) 

Clemency - great job with the work out! How was your form with the workout? I know if I let my core slack I can feel it in my lower back. Keep up the workouts, I started running just about 1.5 years ago, at 240 pounds, and trained and ran 4 half marathons, and was 40 pounds overweight for all of them. My body adapted, got stronger, and I learned the importance of form. If you've got the form, the speed and in my case, the distances, don't matter :) 

Welcome Angltrap, HMeyers! 

I had a busy weekend, weigh in day! In 8 days I lost 7.6 pounds, I don't have anything to analyze my body fat, so I'm going by the scale and measurements for now. I am pleased :) My 14's are getting big, and I have high hopes to be back into 12's in a week! (I went on vacation this summer and gained 20 pounds and no matter what I did, I couldn't lose more than 5 pounds of it, until now!) Also had my carb re-feed, ate some white rice with a stirfry. It was interesting, I felt fine, no bloating, but I also felt really full. Love the carb refeed. :) I was also building gingerbread houses with the children this weekend, oh the candy, I was surrounded. But I made it out alive! 

-Aimee

• Thought I'd check in. I was planning to start on Nov 30 but was miserable with my trapped nerve so didn't start properly until a week later. It seems easier this time around. I think the collagen powder in my morning BPC helps a lot and I'm still taking the adrenal support formula as well as being religious about the salt.
  • I need to start doing the salt.  

Hello all.   I'm struggling a bit, had a slight blip yesterday, and also finding the BPC is not working at the moment - I'm getting daily headaches by about 2-3pm.  I'm trying to up my water because I think that may be responsible, but the general 'zing' I experienced when I first had my morning BPC is not happening any more.  One other change I made was to start adding 1 tsp of raw cacao to it each morning - I distinctly remember thinking that it was adding to the zing when I started it, but now I'm not so sure.  I miss my zing!

• Clemency, are you still in your 10-day depletion? I didn't think it would that big a change for me and I wasn't feeling great during it. I think that's probably the hardest part. Also - sorry I don't have time now to go through the old posts - have you already experimented with collagen in the coffee (as Karen mentions in the post above yours)? It seems to work better for a lot of women.

• Hi everyone! Great to see all the posts since my last so now I feel all caught up lol.

Well I decided to do a an odd thing and eat a handful of chips on my carb re-feed day. I had my food journal nearby bc I like to take note of how different foods make me feel. Well it looks like chips are out of my life completely now as those made me sooo sick. And they werent even everyday run of the mill type but a smallish company that sells at local WF stores. I actually ended up throwing up bc my stomach was rebelling against them! Chips used to be one of my favorite occasional snacks but looks like the consistent protocols I've been following really have changed a lot of my old eating habits no matter how occasional! And I've made the decision to NOT try any of my old snack foods bc my body and emotions will not allow it!

Otherwise my energy has been pretty stellar, I've had to adjust the workouts to what my chiro has recommended (DDP style yoga) and swimming, not noticed a significant loss of extra weight but I am not concerning myself with that as of yet. I'm staying the course with this program and will only take measurements every 14 days. I know how my body takes it time to make the inner adjusts to show up on the outside. I feel stronger, a LOT stronger in fact, I sleep a lot better, I wake up almost always smiling and ready to get my day started, but I know I need to greatly up my water intake!

Still have a timer to remind me to eat but my appetite completely disappears around 4pm everyday and there have even been a night or two where it was a close call to get in my intake. Even the larger lunches are too much for me now, so I'm making adjustments to the number of smaller meals I eat to see if that helps? 

And it was recommended that I have my thyroid or adrenals checked because of the amount of coffee I drink. (two 6 ounce cups one at 5 am and the other around 10 am daily) Anyone had adrenal or cortisol issues? Anything I should ask specifically about? See a specific type of doctor about?

• Question.. yesterday I was nauseous off and on all day. I'm not getting sick, but just felt terrible. I upped my food yesterday, ate when I really just didn't want to, and made some soup which seems to have soothed my tummy. Anyone else experience this? I read a bit about salt, since I'm very prone to dehydration I used to do a electrolyte tablet (when I was running a lot) with contains sorbitol, a sugar alcohol, but will that offset ketosis? 

KarenG - I'm impressed that you attempt this while travelling, I'm having a hard enough time going to my bf's on the weekend and keeping this up! 

• Sigh.  What should I do.  Yesterday I had some chocolate, after a day of feeling a bit crappy and this daily headache starting to really get me down.  Today I went and had even more chocolate.  I had a bad night's sleep last night and was very tired today (this is due to having caffeine late last night, what a fool), so with the headache too I just felt so pissed off.

Chocolate (milk chocolate at that, even if it is organic) is not the answer.

My second daughter has now just come down with the flu, right after my first daughter has improved enough to go back to school.  This was a 5 day high fever, horrible for her, and worrying for us all.  Now I feel so depressed at having to go through all that stress again, and on Saturday it's their birthday party (twins).  Now have anxiety that she won't be better in time, will have to miss it, etc etc.  I can feel the same old thing happening as has happened to me in the past, life gets complicated and I give up.  Eating badly is not going to help.

I've been BP for about 3 weeks, and have lost 20 pounds in the past 6 weeks.  I just ordered some new clothes which arrived today and I am feeling fantastic about the fact that I am looking better.  So why this sudden sabotage?  I want it to stop.  I want to wake up tomorrow, have my BPC, and feel great and full of zing like I was feeling before.

I think to start off, I need to be asleep by 10pm.  I'll see if I can get a good night's sleep.  I'll also take a glass of salt water to bed to drink first thing.

Kasey - thank you for your thoughts.  I have got some collagen, tried it for the first time a couple of days ago.  Perhaps I should try it again tomorrow.  I was so tired and stressed out today I also didn't exercise, today was meant to be my 2nd exercise day.

Perhaps I ought to start again for a 10 day detox?  But then Christmas is around the corner and I can't see me staying totally BP throughout that.

So many chaotic thoughts!!!  Any advice appreciated.

• Clemency - You need to find something that will work for you, I have to admit my plan is to stick to this in a very strict way until December 18th, I know I can't sustain this through Christmas. Knowing I have an end date - 21 days from when I first started, has kept me sane. Once December 18th hits, I'm not going crazy, I plan to add some more veggies, bump up my carbs a bit, more so - be able to find ways to cope with how insane December is. Can you make alterations to this plan to make it do-able? As for the zing from the coffee, I haven't got it anymore either. Exercise, vitamin D, those will help as well. And know, you are not alone in this journey! We are here to help - the best we can :) December is my most insane time at work - I'm a retail manager, I feel like I'm at work 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and when I'm not at work? I'm getting constant phone calls. We can overcome this. And January offers us an opportunity with a clean slate. Hang in there!

-Aimee

• Sorry for off topic , this message is really for Skye, i know she drops by on this topic quite regularly  , I started a new topic titled

HELP !I AM GAINING WEIGHT  ! ,i did not specify that i am female in that post , i have been following Skye's post here ,

i bought  her  book , i have been following Dave's and your book, i probably need some finetuning, I would appreciate

if Skye could read my post and give me feedback , I am just flabbergasted with my 20 lb weight gain since my lowest weight ,

really 10 lbs since starting bulletproof diet .

I hope you will read this Skye !

• Wellbeing.  Welcome.  I'm sorry to hear about your gain.  I have read your other thread so I know a little more about you.  Well done on having the energy of someone alot younger than you!  I'm 52 and despite what is said on these forums, I still believe a calorie is a calorie with my experience and it is hard post menopause - no room for slippage.   I do think you are taking in ALOT of butter, but then again you don't say how many carbs you are eating.  Fat and carbs in combo tend to equal bad things.  The more fat you eat, the less carbs you should be eating (except on re-feed days of course).  I only have a tbspn a day in my coffee and maybe another one one my veggies.  

So why am I still here?  Well people mistake me for being in my mid thirties, my skin is great and I feel fab.  I tried the RFLP and couldn't hack it.  Good luck to you if you get through it but you are probably better off working through Skye's protocol and make sure that your carb depletion for the first 10 days is below 30g.  This means you have to count.  I know I get attacked here for saying that - but how do you know what 30g of carbs looks like unless you count?

Tell us more about what you are eating and we will try and help you.